PDA

View Full Version : What's your deep conditioner recipe?

mktmgt
December 30th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Hey everyone :p! I know a lot of you ladies make your own deep conditioning treatments and I've always found that to be very interesting. I ususaly use the biolage conditioning balm as my deep conditioner, but it's gotten expenisve and I want to seek a different route. I want to make my own and would love if you guys could share some of your mixes with me! :flower:

Diamond.Eyes
December 30th, 2011, 04:45 PM
How funny, I used to use the biolage conditioner when my hair was shorter as well :p. My hair is much too long now and quickly "eats up" anything that I buy for it now. I'm also quite picky with my hair and prefer to create a mix that meets my hairs' needs.

My recipe:
I mix 2 table spoons of the VO5 Strawberries and Cream conditioner (which is cone free and smells amazing), 1 teaspoon melted shea butter, 1 teaspoon olive oil, 1 teaspoon melted coconut oil, ½ teaspoon jojoba oil, ½ teaspoon evening primrose oil and a ½ teaspoon of raw honey or organic agave nectar, which I heat up to get rid of any peroxide content. I find it much more efficient to slowly add the oils to the conditioner; not adding the conditioner to the oils. If I don’t do it this way, the oils won‘t mix together. After mixing it together, I throw it into the freezer for 10-15 minutes to give the mix a creamy texture, rather than a watery once. I apply this to the length of my hair, avoiding my scalp, and focusing mostly on my ends. I then put my hair in a shower cap and let it sit on my hair at least 4 hours before washing. I often sleep with this mix on my hair.

I hope you find this of some use. :p

mktmgt
December 30th, 2011, 04:58 PM
How funny, I used to use the biolage conditioner when my hair was shorter as well :p. My hair is much too long now and quickly "eats up" anything that I buy for it now. I'm also quite picky with my hair and prefer to create a mix that meets my hairs' needs.

My recipe:
I mix 2 table spoons of the VO5 Strawberries and Cream conditioner (which is cone free and smells amazing), 1 teaspoon melted shea butter, 1 teaspoon olive oil, 1 teaspoon melted coconut oil, ½ teaspoon jojoba oil, ½ teaspoon evening primrose oil and a ½ teaspoon of raw honey or organic agave nectar, which I heat up to get rid of any peroxide content. I find it much more efficient to slowly add the oils to the conditioner; not adding the conditioner to the oils. If I don’t do it this way, the oils won‘t mix together. After mixing it together, I throw it into the freezer for 10-15 minutes to give the mix a creamy texture, rather than a water once. I apply this to the length of my hair, avoiding my scalp, and focusing mostly on my ends. I then put my hair in a shower cap and let it sit on my hair at least 4 hours before washing. I often sleep with this mix on my hair.

This recipe sounds amazing. Wow. I used to use the VO5 Strawberries and Cream shampoo and conditioner when I was a kid. It smelled good enough to eat! Does it work well in your opinion? Did you have to go through a lot of trial and error to find a mix that wroked well for you?

rock007junkie
December 30th, 2011, 05:06 PM
This is the most moistuzing thing I've ever put on my hair: Aubrey Organics HoneySuckle Rose with Honey and Coconut oil. The Aubrey Organics conditioner is only about $10 but the honey and coconut oil strech it out so it lasts forever.

Diamond.Eyes
December 30th, 2011, 05:15 PM
This recipe sounds amazing. Wow. I used to use the VO5 Strawberries and Cream shampoo and conditioner when I was a kid. It smelled good enough to eat! Does it work well in your opinion? Did you have to go through a lot of trial and error to find a mix that wroked well for you?
I know! I love the smell of it so much :inlove:. It works extremely well for me. I think it's funner and more rewarding to make my own hair mixes...especially when if I'm bored :p. And yeah, I had to go through a few failures to find something that worked for me, but that was a while ago. My advice if you are going to make your own; have a claifying shampoo on hand just in case you make a mix that's too heavy and if you are going to use honey or anything similar to it; a little goes a long way. Happy mixing :stirpot:!

mktmgt
December 30th, 2011, 05:20 PM
This is the most moistuzing thing I've ever put on my hair: Aubrey Organics HoneySuckle Rose with Honey and Coconut oil. The Aubrey Organics conditioner is only about $10 but the honey and coconut oil strech it out so it lasts forever.
Would you happen to have the measurments for your mix? It sounds like it would smell amazing! I love all the AO products. :)

I know! I love the smell of it so much :inlove:. It works extremely well for me. I think it's funner and more rewarding to make my own hair mixes...especially when if I'm bored :p. And yeah, I had to go through a few failures to find something that worked for me, but that was a while ago. My advice if you are going to make your own; have a claifying shampoo on hand just in case you make a mix that's too heavy and if you are going to use honey or anything similar to it; a little goes a long way. Happy mixing :stirpot:!
I think it sounds fun too! It would make me feel like a chemist or something haha! Okay thank you for the tips! I think I'll make a smaller batch that what was given, my hair is quite short and I would be afraid of overloading my hair and not having it wash out well. :p I presume it's okay to leave some of the oils you listed out, correct? I don;t even know where to get evening primrose oil in my town :lol:.

rock007junkie
December 30th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Depends on how long your hair is. For mine I use about 2 spoonfuls of each

candycandace
December 30th, 2011, 07:27 PM
I think there are a few recipes scattered around the site in people's blogs and other posts. So if you want more recipes you might have to do more searching. I for one mix coconut oil, olive oil, aloe vera gel, and honey with my Desert Essence Shea Butter conditioner. It works really well for the old dye damage in my hair. If I had the money, I think my mix would contain shea butter and few other exotic oils. :D

Loviatar
December 30th, 2011, 07:34 PM
I'm afraid mine is just Biolage balm. I sometimes mix it with honey.

battles
December 30th, 2011, 07:41 PM

My recipe:
I mix 2 table spoons of the VO5 Strawberries and Cream conditioner (which is cone free and smells amazing), 1 teaspoon melted shea butter, 1 teaspoon olive oil, 1 teaspoon melted coconut oil, ½ teaspoon jojoba oil, ½ teaspoon evening primrose oil and a ½ teaspoon of raw honey or organic agave nectar, which I heat up to get rid of any peroxide content. I find it much more efficient to slowly add the oils to the conditioner; not adding the conditioner to the oils. If I don’t do it this way, the oils won‘t mix together. After mixing it together, I throw it into the freezer for 10-15 minutes to give the mix a creamy texture, rather than a watery once. I apply this to the length of my hair, avoiding my scalp, and focusing mostly on my ends. I then put my hair in a shower cap and let it sit on my hair at least 4 hours before washing. I often sleep with this mix on my hair.

That sounds really nice. :D I've wanted to try something with shea butter to see if that helps with how dry my hair has been this winter. Do you think something similar to that would be too heavy for mostly fine hair?

AspenSong
December 30th, 2011, 08:30 PM
I can't give you exact measurements since I do anything the same way I cook, which is by *eyeballin'* it. lol
But I usually use a bit of whatever my thickest conditioner is at the moment - right now, the Natures Gate Biotin conditioner, I put a bit of it, some honey, aloe gel, olive oil and coconut oil...Then I gently warm it all together, and slather it on my head and wrap up the ol' noggin in some saran wrap and slap a ski cap on for the day. :)

naturegirl321
December 31st, 2011, 06:24 AM
Mayo, it has eggs and oil. I also do hot oil treatments with whatever oil or butter I have on hand.

mktmgt
December 31st, 2011, 08:49 AM
Really? What does butter do for hair? That sounds awesome :D

papillion
December 31st, 2011, 08:56 AM
I just use my normal conditioner, and add coconut oil and honey to it.

naturegirl321
December 31st, 2011, 09:28 AM
Really? What does butter do for hair? That sounds awesome :D

:) no, no. Butters, like shea butter, cocoa butter, aloe butter. Maybe you could use regular butter on your hair, but i?ve never tried it!

mktmgt
December 31st, 2011, 09:58 AM
Oh haha I feel silly. I don't think I would use butter lol.

woolyleprechaun
December 31st, 2011, 10:03 AM
:oI use butter on my face.....:o

dwell_in_safety
December 31st, 2011, 12:20 PM
Does mixing oil with conditioner make it easier to rinse it all out?

I ask because at my current length, I only use 1/2 teaspoon each of coconut oil and EVOO, and it still takes quite a while to rinse out. :p I've never thought to combine the two with conditioner.

Amber_Maiden
December 31st, 2011, 01:21 PM
Used to be my normal moisture conditioner mixed with avocado and banana.

rags
December 31st, 2011, 01:58 PM
I tend to mix either AOHR or Biolage with coconut oil and honey. Like someone else says, I just eyeball it, but roughly the same amount of conditioner and honey, and a fourth of that of coconut oil (I have very baby fine hair which doesn't take much to be over -oiled.)

jojo
December 31st, 2011, 05:49 PM
anybody ever tried cream in their hair? Ive so much cream in my house due to DH working at a dairy we get so much at Christmas, ive often wondered how it would be as a DC and butter has also crossed my mind too!

WinterTree
January 1st, 2012, 07:10 PM
I have been experimenting with different recipes using Banana. I like Banana, honey and milk. Sometime i add a little olive oil to it. I really like it so far. It leaves my hair nice and soft. And I think it has helped cut down on my splits. :) YAY!!!!!!! Also, I've found that baby food banana is much easier to use.

Melisande
January 2nd, 2012, 03:27 AM
Of course oil is easier to wash out when in an emulsion, i.e., with conditioner.

I mix conditioner with any oils I have, and honey. Sometimes also aloe vera gel.

hototogisu
January 2nd, 2012, 03:33 AM
I pre-oil using a mix of coconut, castor and olive oil (I find straight coconut oil a bit difficult to use, and my hair prefers this blend), clarify, then use a mix of 4tsp Inecto Coconut Oil conditioner, 1 tsp aloe, 1 tsp honey. If I'm doing a DT post colour (yep, I use chemical colour), I'll add 1 tsp of my oil blend to that, but I often find this leaves my hair a little stringy and oily looking.

Oh, and I don't melt my oils together, I whip them using a stick blender, a la whipped shea butter. It makes a lovely, soft cream. Doesn't affect the way the oils work, but it's much nicer to apply!

luinecu
January 2nd, 2012, 05:46 AM
Looks like I'm going to be stopping by the health food shop in town today! :D I'm going mental with how dry my hair has been feeling, annoying since I don't think I've changed my care routine at all *grumble*

Hotrox
January 2nd, 2012, 05:52 AM
Does mixing oil with conditioner make it easier to rinse it all out?

I ask because at my current length, I only use 1/2 teaspoon each of coconut oil and EVOO, and it still takes quite a while to rinse out. :p I've never thought to combine the two with conditioner.

It really does make it much easier, it's the only way I use oils now.

WaitingSoLong
January 2nd, 2012, 05:54 AM
I have tried many of the mixes here on TLHC and found that just plain conditioner works or plain oils. Coconut definitely seems the best oil for pre-wash (usually left on overnight) but I don't use it much this time of year since it is so very solid in my cold house. I have tried several of the locallly available conditioners (V05, Biolage CB, Pantene, Suave, Herbal Essence, etc.)

I have also tried store bought treatments and really, nothing so far seems to work better than anything else.

I did find I DON'T like to put honey in my mixes, which is too bad, I have a good source (my aunt and uncle raise bees and bottle their own un-pasteurized).

I am needing a DCT. Winter really sucks the life from my hair. I have yet to try the AOHR. Can it be bought in person or is it online only?

Is banana for moisture? I like the idea of the baby food.

I have yet to put foods in my hair other than honey. Mayonnaise is tempting but it just weirds me out. I think mayo smells horrible and don't want it on my head for hours! But I would try that long before just raw eggs.

jacqueline101
January 2nd, 2012, 07:01 AM
I'm still experimenting with mine. So far cocoa nut oil seems to work wonders on my dry ends misted all over with my oil blend. I had a girl at the local market tell me she uses cheap cocoa butter cream and lotion as a deep condish. Sounded different things that are different can turn out to be good.

naturegirl321
January 2nd, 2012, 07:16 AM
I tried banana as well as avocado years ago. I was picking food out of my shower drain for days.

Manny1826
January 2nd, 2012, 07:39 AM
I typically just use coconut oil.. very small amounts throughout the week... and then wash as normal. I find just adding tiny amounts throughout the week makes it much easier to wash out, rather than doing a heavy oil of it... whihc seems to take 2 washes to wash it all out... Does anyone have a trick on how to wash out heavily oiled hair? I feel it defeats the purpose if i have ot wash twice... which is why applying very small amounts throughout the week to the ends seems to work best for me. Coconut oil is also amazing for the face

WinterTree
January 2nd, 2012, 07:54 AM
Is banana for moisture? I like the idea of the baby food.

First i just want to say your hair is awesome and that I LOVE your hair in your avatar, very cool:cool: So when i first thought of using banana on my hair i researched it and this is what i found.

Banana is rich in:

Potassium,
Natural oils,
Carbohydrates and
Vitamins.These help in softening the hair and protects the hair's natural elasticity preventing split ends and breakage. Bananas when used for hair has a number of benefits such as it creates manageability, shine, growth and controls dandruff. These are simply the best for hair and the scalp.

So i thought i would give it a try and i love it. I started using the baby food cause it much easier to rinse out. I used a regular banana mashed up once and i had pieces to pick out all night :(

WaitingSoLong
January 3rd, 2012, 05:03 AM
Thank you WinterTree, for the info and the comment :)

I may try this sometime. I haven't bought baby food in almost 13 years!

pepita
June 15th, 2018, 05:38 PM
anybody ever tried cream in their hair? Ive so much cream in my house due to DH working at a dairy we get so much at Christmas, ive often wondered how it would be as a DC and butter has also crossed my mind too!

hi,have you ever tried it?

pepita
June 15th, 2018, 05:46 PM
I typically just use coconut oil.. very small amounts throughout the week... and then wash as normal. I find just adding tiny amounts throughout the week makes it much easier to wash out, rather than doing a heavy oil of it... whihc seems to take 2 washes to wash it all out... Does anyone have a trick on how to wash out heavily oiled hair? I feel it defeats the purpose if i have ot wash twice... which is why applying very small amounts throughout the week to the ends seems to work best for me. Coconut oil is also amazing for the face

just wash with conditioner 2 times.leave conditioner 15 minutes for each washing.that washes all the oil from my hair.

spidermom
June 15th, 2018, 05:55 PM
I use coconut oil as a conditioning treatment, also I will leave in whatever conditioner I have on hand for much longer if I feel I need a treatment.