PDA

View Full Version : Does this seem like a good idea?

HintOfMint
December 30th, 2011, 12:45 PM
I bought this Lavender Body Oil from Trader Joe's on a whim and of course, the third ingredient is SD alcohol. That's a very drying alcohol and it is high up in the list, so it's likely to cause some drying if I just put it in my hair straight.

But I love the scent and I love having nicely scented hair. So I was wondering if I could do a few things to counteract the alcohol.

One option is to spray a bit in a shallow ceramic bowl and let the alcohol evaporate before dabbing it up with my fingers and putting it in my hair.

Another option is to mix it with shea butter/leave-in conditioner to mitigate the problems of the alcohol.

I could combine both options as well. What do you guys think?

PS, I know I've said in another thread that I don't want to buy anymore things for my hair, but I slipped. Penance!

Coan-Teen
December 30th, 2011, 12:51 PM
I'd think the easiest option would be the ceramic bowl. Just spray it out when you start your routine and put it on last. I'm not sure other mixtures would compensate and personally I wouldn't trust it unless I knew the alcohol was gone. Just my two cents. :) I also love lavender so let us know how it turns out!

Eboshi
December 30th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Have you tried it out on your skin to see what kind of effect is has there? I do wish that manufacturers would put down the concentrations of each ingredient instead of just listing them in order of volume.

ellen732
December 30th, 2011, 02:39 PM
I think I remember seeing a thread on that product a while back. At the very least I do remember someone posting that they do use that product in their hair. Try doing a search.

HintOfMint
December 30th, 2011, 08:48 PM
I think I remember seeing a thread on that product a while back. At the very least I do remember someone posting that they do use that product in their hair. Try doing a search.

I remember that thread and I looked it up, but it turns out I got the one with alcohol (spray form) and not the one they're talking about:(
Silly, I know.

I'm mainly posting to ask if letting the alcohol evaporate would work and if anyone has experience with things like this. Also, how long do y'all think I would have to let it sit in the dish?

AnqeIicDemise
December 30th, 2011, 11:51 PM
I just mix purified water (like a cup full) with about eight drops of Lavender EO before oiling at night. It smells great and I fall asleep faster. :D

jacqueline101
December 31st, 2011, 06:35 AM
The alcohol I'm afraid it would dry my skin.