PDA

View Full Version : hair texture.. frustration!

Orangerthanred
December 30th, 2011, 11:35 AM
I feel like shaving all my hair off and wearing a wig... My hair is growing in slightly wavy/pretty much straight in the back, but 2c/3a in the front! The relaxed part is that way too, straight in the back, wavier in the front. It does not look good on me at all...

If I had enough money, I'd get it thermally reconditioned, so it would be completely pin straight. Luckily I'm too broke to harm my hair any further..

Do you think it will even out? Or will my new hair always be a big mess?

HintOfMint
December 30th, 2011, 12:38 PM
You've pretty much described my hair pattern to a T. Welcome to my world.
A lot of people here take care of wavy hair the same way one does with curly hair (detangle in the shower, don't touch it as it dries... etc), but I think with this kind of mixed hair, a different approach is needed.

This is my routine:
Comb freshly conditioned hair with a wide tooth comb
Put in some sort of oil, leave-in, whatever.
Comb through again, maybe with a finer tooth comb if you prefer.
Let it air dry to damp, fluffing it with your fingers to help it along.
Then comb it into a bun on top of your head.
Leave it alone until it feels drier
Take it down
Comb again if you like, maybe add just a touch more oil/product.
If it is still too damp for your liking, let it dry loose some more and then put it up in a bun again.

My hair ends up drying into loose and smooth bun curls/waves which are pretty uniform. Sometimes a lotion-y leave-in leaves my hair a bit more fluffy and frizzy than I like, so I prefer adding oils/shea butter.

Keep in mind, this routine is an evening affair. If I end up washing my hair in the morning, I don't really take it down from its damp bun until evening. I'm fine with it, but others may find that annoying.

Good luck hair twin, or at least hair sibling!

Eboshi
December 30th, 2011, 01:48 PM
It could be that the hair in the back is longer and the weight is pulling the curls/waves out. The hair in the front/sides may be shorter and thus more likely to misbehave.

I found that as my own hair became longer, my waves (such as they are) became less and less pronounced, Even so, my side-hair has more wave action going on, then the longest hair in the back.

spidermom
December 30th, 2011, 03:11 PM
I've got crazy mixed up hair. Length helps. Keep growing. Get small trims as needed for snarly and/or dried-out ends.

BlazingHeart
December 30th, 2011, 05:51 PM
It depends on what you want your hair to do, really. If you want it the front less wavy, you can smooth your hair between your hands repeatedly as it dries. One hand on the underside, one hand on the top works best I think, but you can also try making vertical sections. You should know within a try or two whether it will help you.

If you want the back wavier, you can plop just part of your hair or put in bandanna waves.

~Blaze