PDA

View Full Version : Which oils should be refridgerated?

naturegirl321
December 30th, 2011, 09:36 AM
I've heard avocado oil goes bad quickly, so shoudl be stuck in the fridge. Any other oils that should also be kept there?

Amber_Maiden
December 30th, 2011, 09:37 AM
I've never kept my avocado oil in the fridge, and it hasn't went bad. Flaxseed oil is the only one I know of that has to go in the fridge.

jojo
December 30th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Ive never refrigerated any oil not sure if your supposed to do to be honest, though I tend to use it up pretty quick!

ktani
December 30th, 2011, 10:10 AM
It depends on the processing and how fast one is used. In spite of shelf life claims (they apply to unopened oils) an oil can go rancid faster than you think. When you buy one, look at the expiry date, then you go by the real time you buy it. If it has say a year from today's date, once opened you have 6 months approximately to use it up.

Oils go rancid with exposure to heat, light and moisture. You can keep some in a cool cupboard. Several will cloud or turn solid kept in the fridge. Taking them out and returning them to room temperature will return them to their former state.

lapushka
December 30th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Just wondering if there's a difference between oils for cosmetic use (like sweet almond oil for instance) and oils that are food grade, in terms of going rancid.

ktani
December 30th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Just wondering if there's a difference between oils for cosmetic use (like sweet almond oil for instance) and oils that are food grade, in terms of going rancid.

Here you go - http://www.parchem.com/chemical-supplier-distributor/Almond-Oil--cosmetic-grade--003829.aspx
"Remarks: KEEP FULL AND WELL CLOSED IN A DRY PLACE AND AWAY FROM LIGHT."

Cosmetic formulations are preserved usually but not always, well.

kristib123
December 30th, 2011, 10:31 AM
I have a very small bottle of avocado oil and I do not refrigerate it. If I bought a larger one I might pour some in a smaller bottle for daily use and stick the big bottle in the refrigerator since I don't go through it that terribly fast.

cheetahfast
December 30th, 2011, 10:31 AM
I don't think it goes bad that quickly.

How much of it did you buy?

My avocado oil has always been fine, but I can only get it in tiny amounts at a time.

ETA: At the store it's kept on the shelves and unrefrigerated. I think it should be fine. Or maybe it's an after opening thing.
Hmmm :shrug:, I swear mine keeps well at room temp, even in the summer.

heidi w.
December 30th, 2011, 10:43 AM
Coconut Oil. It can go rancid in heat after a while. Also, don't leave it in the car where it becomes liquid and can spill in the car, seeping out of the lid.

heidi w.

lapushka
December 30th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Here you go - http://www.parchem.com/chemical-supplier-distributor/Almond-Oil--cosmetic-grade--003829.aspx
"Remarks: KEEP FULL AND WELL CLOSED IN A DRY PLACE AND AWAY FROM LIGHT."

Cosmetic formulations are preserved usually but not always, well.

Thanks ktani!

ktani
December 30th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Thanks ktani!

You are very welcome.

Diamond.Eyes
December 31st, 2011, 10:55 PM
I refridgerate all of my oils and butters. Everything I use is unrefined though :shrug:. Even if it was refined I would probably still put it in the fridge. I have an irrational fear of rotten things...ew. :(

Audrey Horne
January 1st, 2012, 12:15 AM
I keep walnut oil in the fridge. I use it only for my skin, though.

Lissandria
January 1st, 2012, 04:20 AM
I refrigerate my coconut oil. I know it won't go rancid before I have a chance to use it all up. I know if I drop my container it's no biggie. I probably will continue to refrigerate my Oils and Butters as my hair journey continues and I aquire more :)

pepperminttea
January 1st, 2012, 05:13 AM
I refrigerate everything except my EVOO, because I go through that a lot more quickly than everything else. I've had coconut oil go off on me before when I left everything out, so I'd rather avoid that happening again.

torrilin
January 1st, 2012, 07:22 AM
My hair tends to like coconut oil and olive oil. And when my hair wants oil, it wants very small amounts. Like a tiny fingernail scraping of coconut oil for my whole head of hair. There's no way I'd use up oil if I just used it for my hair.

I also use those oils for cooking, so I just make sure they get used up every 6 months by cooking.

CherrySilver
January 1st, 2012, 08:00 PM
Also, don't leave it in the car where it becomes liquid and can spill in the car, seeping out of the lid.

Been there, done that. My car smelled like coconut oil for a verrry long time!