PDA

View Full Version : First haircut since May 2008! Also, keratin smoothing.

DiablitaNoir
December 30th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Well, it looks like tomorrow afternoon I will be going to the salon to get my first trim in over 3 1/2 years! Needless to say, I'm a bit nervous. I'm looking to get rid of my scraggly fairy tale ends and go for a thicker, more blunt hemline. This means about 6 inches will be trimmed off...yikes! My hair is now just past my waist, almost reaching hip length. I may have to have it cut back to about BSL, but I'm still trying to grow it to classic. I hope they don't cut it any shorter than BSL and I will be very clear on that, believe me! I will refuse to pay if they go scissor-happy on me and I end up butchered! However, my boyfriend (who also has long hair) goes to that salon and has had nothing but good experiences, so maybe I'm worrying for nothing.

I'm also thinking of getting a consultation for the formaldehyde-free Keratin Smoothing System while I'm there. My hair is so frizzy and could use it. Anybody here have experience with this or could point me to a thread about it? Much appreciated! :D

Amber_Maiden
December 30th, 2011, 08:51 AM
I hope the cut works out!! Good luck!! :)

DiablitaNoir
December 30th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Thanks! Me too. :)

jaine
December 30th, 2011, 09:13 AM
Good luck with your haircut!!

DiablitaNoir
December 30th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Thanks! I'll need it, lol.

jacqueline101
December 30th, 2011, 10:42 AM
I wish you the best of luck too.

DiablitaNoir
December 30th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Thank you! :) Here's to hoping they don't chop me!

Oksana
December 30th, 2011, 11:47 AM
good luck on your cut:)

I have had the original brazilian keratin treatment and it was amazing for a few months before then ends on my hair started to look like they had been fried :( I looked into the formaldehyde free version but from what i have read it isn't any safer.

I couldn't find the source i read but this is post pretty much sums it up:

Went to the International Haircolor Exchange in Anaheim last week. It was a gathering of professionals in the hair industry. They were either teaching classes or there to increase their knowlege about haircolor. One of the classes was given by 2 chemists. The subject got on to the Brazillian Straightening method at one point. Someone asked the chemists about the newer 'formaldehyde free' Braziliian Keratin straightening method. Here's the scoop straight from the chemists mouth:
If formaldehyde in not used then what is used instead is called by a different name BUT IT IS A FORMALDEHYDE DERIVITIVE WHICH IS STILL FORMALDEHYDE. The chemist went on to state that ANY form of formaldehyde is a carcinogen and it is very dangerous. She stated in no uncertain terms that she would never mess around with this chemical. Okay. That's straight from a chemist who develops hair products in the professional beauty business. Can't get any more straight shooting than that.

DiablitaNoir
December 30th, 2011, 12:02 PM
good luck on your cut:)

I have had the original brazilian keratin treatment and it was amazing for a few months before then ends on my hair started to look like they had been fried :( I looked into the formaldehyde free version but from what i have read it isn't any safer.

I couldn't find the source i read but this is post pretty much sums it up:

Went to the International Haircolor Exchange in Anaheim last week. It was a gathering of professionals in the hair industry. They were either teaching classes or there to increase their knowlege about haircolor. One of the classes was given by 2 chemists. The subject got on to the Brazillian Straightening method at one point. Someone asked the chemists about the newer 'formaldehyde free' Braziliian Keratin straightening method. Here's the scoop straight from the chemists mouth:
If formaldehyde in not used then what is used instead is called by a different name BUT IT IS A FORMALDEHYDE DERIVITIVE WHICH IS STILL FORMALDEHYDE. The chemist went on to state that ANY form of formaldehyde is a carcinogen and it is very dangerous. She stated in no uncertain terms that she would never mess around with this chemical. Okay. That's straight from a chemist who develops hair products in the professional beauty business. Can't get any more straight shooting than that.

Thanks! And thanks so much for posting that. I'd rather have my frizzy hair than put on more harmful chemicals and have to deal with fried ends all over again! Yuck! I think I might do some more research on it and stick to my hair balm to tame the frizz. :)

lunalocks
December 30th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Your hair will look and feel soooo good after the cut. Let us know how it turns out!

Oksana
December 30th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Thanks! And thanks so much for posting that. I'd rather have my frizzy hair than put on more harmful chemicals and have to deal with fried ends all over again! Yuck! I think I might do some more research on it and stick to my hair balm to tame the frizz. :)

No problem :) I wouldn't want anyone trying to grow long hair to repeat my mistake. I had to cut off over 4 inches of hair of crispy fried ends because of it :(

cheetahfast
December 30th, 2011, 08:35 PM
My hair came out fine from the keratin, but it never curled the same and it wasn't safe for my body.

I wouldn't recommend it or do it again.

DiablitaNoir
January 1st, 2012, 12:08 PM
Thanks, everybody! :) I went to the salon yesterday and it turned out great! I thought I would need to take off about 6 inches or so, but the lady I talked to only recommended taking off about 3 inches. My hair is almost to my waist and no more ratty fairy tale ends and tapering! It looks and feels great! I went to the Hair Cuttery that my long-haired boyfriend goes to for his washings and trims and, like I said, he has had nothing but good experiences there. I'm so happy they didn't have to take off as much as I was afraid they would. :D I've also decided against the keratin treatment...sounds like more trouble than it's worth. Now, I continue my journey to classic!

P.S. Happy New Year!