PDA

View Full Version : Hairbrush - opinions needed

Loreley
December 30th, 2011, 02:24 AM
I got a brush from my sister for Christmas. I've been using it since then and it works really great but I don't know if it is safe to use. It has natural boar bristles and longer, flexible nylon bristles. Can the nylon bristles cause demage? I like it because I can detangle with it, not like with my pure BBBs. What do you think?

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4250&pictureid=122280

Another question: How can I clean it? Wash it with shampoo like normal BBBs?

Thanks in advance! :flower:

woolyleprechaun
December 30th, 2011, 07:08 AM
Personaly, I cant STAND those ones with the nylon bristles. They tug, scratch and pull me like nobodys buisness! I use a little wooden comb for detangling, a bamboo bristle brush for brushing and a nice boar bristle brush for polishing, and that does me fine ;) If you like it and feel it works for you, you go for it :) Id remove loose hairs with a little comb, wash it in a shampooy bowl of warm water and let it airdry. If Its got a little air hole, Id plug it before washing. Happy brushing! :)

lapushka
December 30th, 2011, 08:34 AM
I have one of those. IMO it's perfectly fine! Never saw damage from it.
I love that it can detangle and the way it detangles too.

Amber_Maiden
December 30th, 2011, 09:08 AM
I have friends who use them. Seems fine for them.

Madora
December 30th, 2011, 09:13 AM
[quote=Loreley;1927199]I got a brush from my sister for Christmas. I've been using it since then and it works really great but I don't know if it is safe to use. It has natural boar bristles and longer, flexible nylon bristles. Can the nylon bristles cause demage? I like it because I can detangle with it, not like with my pure BBBs. What do you think?

For the sake of your hair, please use a wide tooth comb to detangle, not a brush. A brush is NOT a detangler.

Plastic is not good for your hair either. The natural boar bristle brush is the kindest brush to use because it comes from nature--the "hair" of the wild boar, and as Dr. George Michael said in his book "Hair understands hair".

The natural boar bristles not only distribute your hair's natural oil down the strands, they exercise the hair follices, remove lint and dirt and over time impart softness and shine.

Natural boar bristle brushes come in a variety of shapes and colors (white/blonde/black/brown). The bristles can also be moderately short or long and thick. Also, the stiffness of the brush can vary greatly, but that stiffness will be lessened with time.

I'm only acquainted with the Goody brand of bbb..there's no rubber base on it. Year ago I made the mistake of buying a top of the line Kent of London hairbrush. It was beautiful but my hair hated it because the bristles were too long, too thick, and too stiff.

I wash my bbb every day..a quicky wash with a nail brush and a bit of Neutrogena soap. It is rinsed well and then placed - bristles facing down - on a lint free cloth.

Loreley
December 30th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Thanks everyone! :)
I think I'll use it unless I see any demage from it.
I have several BBBs without the rubber base. One of them has pretty soft bristles, it just can't penetrate my hair. Another one has stiff, short bristles, the problem with it is the same. The best has very long, stiff bristles but still I can use it only when I separate my hair into smaller sections. (My thickness can cause problems, just like the texture of my hair. :mad:) And after brushing my hair is flat and oily. That's why I haven't used my BBB since summer. :(

heidi w.
December 30th, 2011, 10:05 AM
I've seen those kind of brushes. As Madora states, no brush is the best detangling tool. A wide-toothed comb is the best detangling tool.

I have a variety of BBB's. I only use BBB's as a hair polishing tool, on already detangled hair, never to detangle hair.

There's a fair amount of confusion around BBB brushes and what they can be used for. A lot of people say they just don't work, but usually if I show someone how to use it, they find a lot of promise with this tool then.

Brushes tend to pull out more hair than a comb. That's the difference between combing and brushing. This is the most common thing people notice.

That was a nice gift, however. Very thoughtful of her to get you something to go along with a passion of yours.

heidi w.

heidi w.
December 30th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Thanks everyone! :)
I think I'll use it unless I see any demage from it.
I have several BBBs without the rubber base. One of them has pretty soft bristles, it just can't penetrate my hair. Another one has stiff, short bristles, the problem with it is the same. The best has very long, stiff bristles but still I can use it only when I separate my hair into smaller sections. (My thickness can cause problems, just like the texture of my hair. :mad:) And after brushing my hair is flat and oily. That's why I haven't used my BBB since summer. :(

Loreley, what you describe regarding how a BBB doesn't penetrate your hair is one of the common complaints, and misunderstandings, surrounding using a BBB.

For most, although for some it will, it doesn't penetrate hair, and isn't intended to. Look at the bristles. Generally there are more bristles in this brush, and they're kind of thick bristles.

HOW TO USE A BBB:

1. Detangle the hair with someething else. Such as a wide-toothed comb. I have to use an extra wide-toothed comb to handle my volume. I have a lot of hair, and an average comb won't go through my hair at all.

2. Bring hair forward, maybe divide it down the back and draw forward to both sides of the front (split the hair in half).

3. Lean to one side and BBB the hair. Allow the brush to glide over the top of the hair. You will have to brush the topside and underside of hair separately as a BBB for most does not penetrate through the thickness of anyone's hair, usually.

4. The bristles hold on to applied oil (on the brush, or on the hair) or sebum and distributes oils evenly throughout the hair, contributing to increased shine somewhat.

5. Unlike detangling, one BBB's from the top down. Remember you already detangled.

6. IF you encounter a tangle, work it out with your detangling tool or your fingers. Do not brush through it. Big no-no.

7. The notion of brushing 100 strokes may have arisen from the era when BBB's were what a lot of people used on their hair. Hair becomes a bit softer and a bit shinier when they over&over downstroke a BBB through the hair.

8. With a BBB, the top of head hair will tend to be flatter. Just know that. That's a fairly common experience. So if you want fluffy tophair, don't use a BBB on that portion of hair, especially if it's been a couple of days between hair washes.

I hope this helps a little bit so that you have a better time using a BBB.

heidi w.

heidi w.
December 30th, 2011, 10:14 AM
One more thing. Store a BBB away from dust, in a cloth bag or in a drawer or something. This brush easily attracts and allows dust to cling to its bristles. (all that sebum or oil on the bristles.)

heidi w.

heidi w.
December 30th, 2011, 10:15 AM
IF you want a really soft BBB, look at a pet store for a small BBB dog or cat BBB brush. No one has to know you're going to use it on your own hair.

heidi w.

Ramille
December 30th, 2011, 10:17 AM
I have been using a BBB with nylon from Mason Pearson for about a year. I love it because I have never been able to get a plain BBB through my hair. I don't use it to detangle, but I love the feel of it, like a massage. I use it a couple of times a week. Otherwise (daily)I just use a wide toothed comb. Haven't noticed any damage from it.

Loreley
December 30th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Thank you heidi w.! I use my normal BBB the way you said. :) I didn't try to use that for real detangling, just brushing through my hair before putting it up but obviously it didn't work. :p (I use a wide-tooth comb for tangles.) I tried this new brush and it seemed to be very good. I don't rip it through big tangles or anything like that. I almost always wear my hair up and braid it in the evening so there are no real tangles in it. When there are (for example after air-drying) I use the comb.
I think I should've said this before, sorry. :pumpkin:

Loreley
December 30th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Personaly, I cant STAND those ones with the nylon bristles. They tug, scratch and pull me like nobodys buisness! I use a little wooden comb for detangling, a bamboo bristle brush for brushing and a nice boar bristle brush for polishing, and that does me fine ;) If you like it and feel it works for you, you go for it :) Id remove loose hairs with a little comb, wash it in a shampooy bowl of warm water and let it airdry. If Its got a little air hole, Id plug it before washing. Happy brushing! :)

I have 3 of those bamboo brushes but my hair doesn't like them. Even when my hair is combed they pull and rip it. :shrug: Somehow a couple of strands always get stuck between the bristles and the rubber and the brush tears them. :horse:
Plugging the air hole is a good idea! :cool: