PDA

View Full Version : Hair-Typing Thickness Question

Cloelia
December 29th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Hello again, everypeoples. So I think I'm long overdue for actually hair-typing myself instead of just approximating, but I've hit a snag with measuring circumference for thickness.
Do you put a band around the ponytail when you measure? And if so, do you make it loose or snug? I ask because my hair is fine, so it's easy to compress and I didn't want that to mess up my result.

I'm probably overthinking this, but I'm not sure I've got this right. Help?

amantha
December 29th, 2011, 09:33 PM
I'm curious about this too.

krissykins
December 30th, 2011, 01:56 AM
I don't put a band around the pony. I gather it all up and then wrap the tape measure around snugly (not too loose and not too tight).

AndreaPetrea
December 30th, 2011, 02:17 AM
I put my hair in a ponytail and measure below the band. I pull the tape measure as tight as I can.

Audrey Horne
December 30th, 2011, 02:29 AM
I measure with a rope that I "mark" (not too tight, not to loose). Then I take the rope and measure it on the ruler. I don't believe it can be precise anyway. And circ. of F hair can vary so much!

jojo
December 30th, 2011, 06:32 AM
I don't put a band around the pony. I gather it all up and then wrap the tape measure around snugly (not too loose and not too tight).

This is what I do, make sure to measure in the same place each time. I measure about ear length. I think a lot confuse fine as being thin too. I have very fine hair but plenty of it!

pepperminttea
December 30th, 2011, 06:37 AM
I put a band round it, as snugly as I can without causing damage, and then measure just below the band (not over it). My hair compresses a lot too, and I find if I don't tie it first I get a much larger (and less accurate) reading than if I do tie it. I'd also get someone else to help you if you can - when I measure myself it comes out dead on or just above 4", but when someone else is behind me to read it off, I get 3.7/8" - not a lot of difference, but worth noting. :)

auburntressed
December 30th, 2011, 06:45 AM
I put my hair up in a ponytail with a band, then use a sewing measure tape to measure around the hair near the band, making sure the band is not caught in the measurement. I make it snug, but not tight.

Sometimes for fun, I'll do two pigtails instead of a pony and add them together. I always end up with a higher measurement this way by about an inch. My hair does not like math. :-). (My pony circumference is 5" but my pigtails are always 3" each).

MissManda
December 30th, 2011, 04:01 PM
My preferred method is to smooth and flatten my hair down as much as possible, put a thin ponytail holder around it snugly and close to the scalp, and twisting the ponytail a little to compress the hair (it makes the measurement go down by 0.25" or so and keeps things consistent). While holding the twisted ponytail, I put a string or ribbon around the ponytail and under the band, making sure to pull it snug, put my fingernail on the spot that it stops at while gently removing it, and measure with a ruler.

Cloelia
December 31st, 2011, 11:19 AM
Thanks everyone, I think I actually did it right. So now I'm officially ii. Measured 3.5 inches.