PDA

View Full Version : Transitional Freak Out

LaurelSpring
December 29th, 2011, 09:28 PM
I have noticed this happening before. Once I am close to hitting a new length phase I start to freak out and get crazy urges to cut my hair. It just dawned on me that this is happening now with my hair at TB. I was at TB early Fall and had the freak out and cut off several inches. Now Im back brushing Tb and freaking out again to trim back. Just last night I held at least 4 inches between my fingers and almost cut but came to my senses and just couldnt do it.

Whew! A close one!

Then it happened again at my daughter's house today. I almost let her trim some until she started talking about 12 inches. No way!

When I got home I realized it was the old transitional freak out happening. My hair is hitting a length that I have never been before and my updos arent working right and it feels weird and awkward right now. I realized that I just have to push through this and learn some different ways of dealing with it so I can move forward.

I was just wondering if anyone else goes through this and how you handle it.

Delila
December 29th, 2011, 09:40 PM
Well, I guess I manage to resist the urge to trim mass amounts, but I do periodically go through phases where once easy and comfortable updos never quite work the way they did.

I find I need to either switch styles, or hairtoys.

For example, I'll go through a long phase wearing a hair fork, and find that hair sticks or a clip work better, and that I need to position them a bit differently than I used to.

After a while, I get used to the new length, or the increased thickness at a different spot in my length, and somehow it becomes second nature again.

For me, varying hair toys and/or my daily style does help.

beachgirlla
December 29th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Why do you feel the urge to trim it or cut it, how does your hair looks like?, I mean do you have damaged ends, 6 inches is too much, you have worked so hard and waited so long to get this length, please do not cut your hair :), just go keep yourself busy with something else when you get these urges :)

Renate
December 29th, 2011, 10:32 PM
ME! I have some transitional freak out as well! :) But for me, is always when my hair hits "nipple length", lol. That's why I've never had longer hair. It just happened for me, in fact, I'm still considering having a trim, even though my ends aren't dry.. You are not alone.

duchesswannabe
December 30th, 2011, 03:03 AM
ME! I have some transitional freak out as well! :) But for me, is always when my hair hits "nipple length", lol. That's why I've never had longer hair. It just happened for me, in fact, I'm still considering having a trim, even though my ends aren't dry.. You are not alone.

I am getting this train of thought, too. When I saw my old friends on Christmas, P, whose hair for years has been down to her butt had cut it to just below the shoulders.

Boy, was that temptation.

LaurelSpring
December 30th, 2011, 07:47 AM

Im glad Im not alone!! Usually when it happens its so unconscious, but this time I was so happy that I recognized it for what it was in time to stop the madness and resulting dismay at cutting. Luckily I am totally unable to cut my hair (other than microtrims) right now. Just the thought was too distressing!

So, I am heading back to the boards here to find some new updos. I remember one swirly cinnamon type bun that sort of spreads over the back or the head. I wish I could remember what it was called. Maybe spiral bun? I need some things that distribute the weight more as regular buns seem to be bugging me right now. I do need to switch things around a bit. I have resorted to pigtail type things (like chinese bun) at the moment to keep the weight lower.

SlightlySoprano
December 30th, 2011, 07:55 AM
ME! It's chronic. Every time I'm where I am right now (transitional between APL and BSL) I look at my baby fine, ultra thin hair and say oh it would look better short. I have proved myself WRONG on 3 separate ocassions. What I'm trying to do is put it back and forget about it. Braids are my best friends! I'm getting the tickle to trim now, but I'm going to hold off because this time I'm determined to make it past BSL!

Gingerbear
December 30th, 2011, 08:03 AM
I have the same problem! I am finding that once a month scheduled microtrims help me keep my mitts off it as far as a big chop goes....when I start to feel the urge, I just tell myself only a little while longer until I am allowed. I also like to search and destroy--gives me something to do when I'm scissor happy. ha!

Maktub
December 30th, 2011, 08:18 AM
I'm like that too, I always get the urge to cut back to nipple lenght "to get the damage out". But there isn't much damage left ... just my canopy hair that is a little shorter / dryer and frustrates me. I also have to learn to not touch it and let it grow !

Kelikea
December 30th, 2011, 08:26 AM
Try the amish woven braids. They stay for days and feel so light on your head.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=30688

Lucky
December 30th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Oh yes, it's happened to me over the last 5, almost 6 years, which is why I always seem to find myself at the same length... hoping to overcome it in 2012.

Try to remember the 2 week rule on cuts or anything drastic :)

Amber_Maiden
December 30th, 2011, 09:12 AM
Not really... I find that ignoring my hair in general helps. Just pretend it doesn't exist really... lol. Say you'll trim it in a year, and then forget about that as well.

akuamoonmaui
December 30th, 2011, 09:54 AM
I feel this way, too! How funny! It took this site to get me to stop (or at least resist better)! I've been tempted lately to cut about 3" because my ends are thinner than I'd like (layers). But then I know I won't be happy because it's shorter.... So far I've been able to walk away from the scissors but it takes will power!

Nae
December 30th, 2011, 10:00 AM
So, I am heading back to the boards here to find some new updos. I remember one swirly cinnamon type bun that sort of spreads over the back or the head. I wish I could remember what it was called. Maybe spiral bun? I need some things that distribute the weight more as regular buns seem to be bugging me right now. I do need to switch things around a bit. I have resorted to pigtail type things (like chinese bun) at the moment to keep the weight lower.

Was it the Vortex bun? I love that one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSf1vv8oB6g

Anje
December 30th, 2011, 10:13 AM
I hit something like that at hip, when suddenly my updos didn't work.

Braids always work. Also, if you've been doing cinnamon buns, try switching to lazy wrap buns (I twist mine, which helps them hold better for me). I now reserve Cinnamon buns for when I feel like pinning all the twists, as I can't hold them with a single stick anymore.

jacqueline101
December 30th, 2011, 10:37 AM
I've had those before and that's when I look at those silly hair magazines and look for new hair dos. If that doesn't work I look at my bangs maybe a small change there will do the trick. Hiding my scissors works too.

heidi w.
December 30th, 2011, 10:40 AM
It's entirely normal that updos need to be tweaked or abandoned, when more length is acquired. And of course, with more length, you can learn new updos. I have had to tweak the whole way, at every new phase. I used to be able to do a lovely french twist which looks great on me, but now I can't get all that hair into a french twist, so I moderated it, and it works well enough. That's just part of the process as one acquires length.

IF you keep cutting, you're just doing do-overs, unless, you prefer your hair to remain at a certain length.

We all have our length of comfort for a variety of reasons.

heidi w.

LaurelSpring
December 30th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Try the amish woven braids. They stay for days and feel so light on your head.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=30688

Thanks for the link. I love this. I am going to give it a try.

LaurelSpring
December 30th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Was it the Vortex bun? I love that one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSf1vv8oB6g

Yes this is it!!!! Thank you Nae!! :cheese: I have been thinking about this bun for a couple of weeks now and couldnt remember what it was or exactly how to do it.

Nae
December 30th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Yes this is it!!!! Thank you Nae!! :cheese: I have been thinking about this bun for a couple of weeks now and couldnt remember what it was or exactly how to do it.

Reading minds. Just another of my many talents. :D

But seriously, you are most welcome. I hope it works out beautifully for you.

PrairieRose
December 30th, 2011, 12:06 PM
This happens to me with my bangs. I am always trying to grow them out, and then cutting. Just when I start to make some actual progress, I start to doubt whether it looks good and then cut. Usually after a few weeks of cut bangs I start to grow them again. Crazy:crazyq:
Currently I am growing them;)

Zefyra
December 30th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Bangs are my big one. It usually takes my husband telling me no in his cute pleading way for me to not do it. Its still hard though because between eyebrow and mouth they are sooooooo annoying. They are currently to my nose.. So if I can wait a month Ill be out of this obnoxious phase.
Recently I cut off 5 inches of my relatively short hair, on an impulse because it was damaged after I dye it red (er well.. I could see the damage better) I could have waited and trimmed it off slowly, as I had been doing up to that point. But I didnt, and I set myself that much farther back in my progress. Never again! (I hope..) Im resolved to dusting whenever I think of it only from now on. Though now its shiny glossy black and much harder to see any damage I may have.. XD

Cjatje
December 30th, 2011, 01:57 PM
I hzve this with every awkward stage... Even now, I would love to go to the hairdresser, but I told my DH he can't let me go to the hairdresser, because it would be short all over again :s

cowgirllong
December 30th, 2011, 02:13 PM
I go through that every so often. Not necessarily when I am about to reach a new goal length. I've been doing better since I cut too much off a few years ago. Then I went through a phase of not trimming even though I needed it badly. My hair didn't gain length for 2 years, so I trimmed an inch last spring. I feel as if I am a new person with all the length I have gained in that time.

naturegirl321
December 31st, 2011, 06:31 AM
I'ts happened to me and I've always cut it super short. It's nice for a bit, but then I regret it. I usually cut it becasue I want to try out a new style, but I realise that long hair works better for me.

Seharia
January 1st, 2012, 09:43 PM
That usually happens to me around the length I am now. This time i am resisting though :) I never realized this is what was happening to me but now I see it so thanks for the hair revelation!