PDA

View Full Version : Tri-racial hair?

Nipushiau
December 29th, 2011, 06:10 PM
I've seen a lot of discussion on the topic of hair types as associated with different ethnicities, but I'm a mix of white, black, and Native American. You might think this would mean I could have thick, perhaps kind of wavy or curly, hair in a nice rich dark color. Nope; my hair is straight with just enough curl to not be a fashionable "blown out" look. It tends towards flat and kind of lifeless and can't decide on a color. In patches it has a mousy brown color, or reddish brown, or pale blonde (at the temples, so I look like I'm going gray prematurely).

In addition to all of this, I have a crazy flaking problem combined with a little too much oil. So far anti-dandruff shampoos (including tar) haven't helped. I use lots of conditioner (one for while in the shower, one leave-in, and a once a week conditioner). Anyone have similar problems? Please help.:confused:

JaneinMarch
December 29th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Putting castor oil on my scalp before washing has helped to reduce my dandruff. I let it sit for about an hour before the wash.

Mearwynna
December 29th, 2011, 08:34 PM
oiling the scalp, and have you heard of curly girl?

Ashenputtel
December 29th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Races are for animals. Hair is hair. Trial and errors are the way to go, but that doesn't mean you can't be inspired by people with a similar kind of hair and look if it works out for you.

I have psoriasis, I feel your pain about your scalp. What helped me is occasional oiling, no perfumes, no sulphate and mostly natural products. I'm even able to stretch washes now. It took about six months to get better.

katsrevenge
December 29th, 2011, 08:48 PM
I've found a rinse of apple cider vinegar in water or a bit of lemon juice in water after I've washed and conditioned to really help with flaky scalp issues.

Getting rid of SLS products helped too.

lilravendark
December 29th, 2011, 09:20 PM
Races are for animals.

I love this quote very good way of putting it, there is only one race anyway the human race. :cheese:
As for the OPs problem maybe you are over conditioning with the leave in making it as you say flat and lifeless, you might want to try a light oil instead.

Nipushiau
December 29th, 2011, 11:25 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll play with my routine and see if I can improve things.