PDA

View Full Version : Tangly-hairs! Have you found anything that works?

darklyndsea
December 29th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Okay, I know I'm not alone in having hair that gets tangled before I can finish brushing it. (I'm not, am I? Because that would be embarrassing.) But I haven't found a single thing that will make my hair much easier to detangle or less tangle-prone. So, if you've found anything that helps...please, share your knowledge!

Amber_Maiden
December 29th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Tangle Teezer, wearing my hair in a low ponytail, separating hair in half when brushing, oiling.

Madora
December 29th, 2011, 04:38 PM
I found a monthly overnight EVOO treatment gave my hair plenty of slip. I always wear my hair up. The EVOO is applied to dry, fresly washed hair (day after the shampooing). I use very little..less than 1/4 of a cup.

amantha
December 29th, 2011, 04:56 PM
Separating my hair in half when brushing. Cones also help prevent tangles (for me). When I tried going cone-free my hair was a tangled mess. I've found if I use a minimal amount of cones (i.e. cone-free shampoo/conditioner then coney leave-in, or coney shampoo/conditioner and cone-free leave-in) my hair gets way fewer tangles. But if I use a coney shampoo/conditioner AND a coney leave-in, my ends will feel like straw within a few days and then they'll tangle until I clarify and deep condition.

Currently I'm using Biolage's Strengthening shampoo and conditioner followed by Just Natural's Dry Hair Lotion (applied when my hair is damp right after brushing). I washed my hair over 24 hours ago and I can still run my fingers through my hair with very minimal catching and I'm normally very tangle prone.

Jean Stuart
December 29th, 2011, 04:57 PM
Keeping the ends oiled. That is where my tangles are.

Gumball
December 29th, 2011, 05:00 PM
I work out the tangles from the bottom up. Regular oiling, both light and heavy, however, are what make the biggest impact for tangle reduction with my hair. In my case it's a world of difference really.

Zesty
December 29th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Oiling makes a BIG difference, but I don't always like to have oil in my hair, so I find other ways most of the time. My hair is far less tangly when it's moisturized -- after an SMT, or now that I'm using a richer conditioner with washes and not washing it all out. My #1 though is keeping it contained somehow. In a braid on the top of my head at night, in a bun during the day, in a regular braid with a scrunchie when lounging around the house. Sometimes I don't have to really detangle for days when I do this, I can just fingercomb when I switch styles. If it's loose or in a ponytail for long, I get tangles. When I do detangle, I go slowly, separating my hair into two parts, fingercombing, then combing with a wide-tooth comb (from the ends up, of course). I also find, oddly, that even if my hair is mildly tangled, if I twist it up into a bun, when I take it down the tangles are mostly resolved. Not sure what the cause of this is.

Good luck, and I hope you find something that works for you. Tangles are a big cause for the damage my hair gets, so it's always important to figure out how to deal with them.

RapunzelKat
December 29th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Oh, I am totally in the same boat as you. My hair can tangle while braided. :p
Here's what has been helping me:
Getting rid of protein rich products (turns out it makes my hair angry and Velcro-y)
LOTS of cones (I use Aussie 3MM as a conditioner, and a horse product called Cowboy Magic as a leave-in detangler. It is awesome. ;))
EVOO - a few drops smoothed into my length most days makes a big difference.
I only comb my hair out with a wide-tooth comb - no brushing
Good luck! Tangly hair can be a real pain.:p

lacefrost
December 29th, 2011, 11:05 PM
Putting something on my hair while detangling (oil if my hair is dry, conditioner if my hair is wet.) Taking my hair in sections and patiently going from my ends up to my roots. I do this even if my hair is straight but it's more important when my hair is curly. Somtimes I'll rope braid my hair or put it into tiny buns to keep it out of my way. This sometimes results in pretty soft waves, but mostly just keeps my hair from getting retangled. Then I put it up.

shikara
December 30th, 2011, 12:13 AM
Hmmm, this is quite interesting, because what worked for me waa ditching the usual oils, switching to keratin shampoo and conditioner (protein), and using non greasy mineral oil - love love love thess fwo changes! NO MORE TANGLY STRINGY THIN LOOKING HAIR! I think it is important to realize that different proteins accomplish different things, but I know its nit for everyone.

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/th_a5642814.jpg (http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/?action=view&current=a5642814.jpg)

Loviatar
December 30th, 2011, 12:50 AM
Tangle Teezer, combing with a very wide tooth comb while in the shower conditioning, and using no silicones. These help not only with tangle-minimising but also with static-minimising for me.

UltraBella
December 30th, 2011, 01:05 AM
My hair tangles and it drives me crazy ! I have bounced between conditioner with cones and no cones and I have finally settled on using a combo. The cones really help with detangling and staying tangle free, but the no-cone conditioner makes my hair feel much more moisturized.

I wash with a low-sulfate Tresemme shampoo, followed by a no cone conditioner. I leave that on for 5 minutes while I shave, etc and then I rinse it out. While my hair is still dripping wet, I take some of my coney conditioner and apply it to my lengths without rinsing it out. Then I squeeze the extra moisture from my hair and wrap in a towel. Detangling is so much easier this way and my hair behaves better all day long.

My hair also behaves better after an SMT and it loves, loves, LOVES protein treatments as well.

Mina17
December 30th, 2011, 03:47 AM
I have found that my hair is less tangly after protein treatments also. After reading here how a lot of people's hair didn't like protein I avoided it for a long time. I finally tried it when nothing else was working and was surprised at how soft and tangle-free my ends were.

pepperminttea
December 30th, 2011, 04:25 AM
Short answer, yes; 'cones and oil.

jojo
December 30th, 2011, 05:57 AM
EVOO definitely helps with my tangles, which are like dreads some days. I also like Avon's kids detangler which has cones but the comb just glides through after spraying a bit on. I tried the johnson's leave in conditioner for detangling too but its useless.

EdG
December 30th, 2011, 07:21 AM
I untangle when my hair is still a tiny bit damp (and far from wet). The dampness gives the hair some slip. If I wait until my hair is completely dry, it will be much harder to untangle.
Ed

Kelikea
December 30th, 2011, 07:28 AM
Do you use any sort of leave in? Your hair appears to be slightly curlier than 2b and it may need a bit more moisture. I like to use some aloe and glycerin in a water bottle to spritz if the weather is humid. If the weather is dry, I use some water and olive oil to spritz on damp or dry hair, any time of day, and recomb with a wide tooth comb.

Firefly
December 30th, 2011, 07:32 AM
Nothing gives me slip and tangle-free hair like 'cones. I don't like to use them regularly though so I also do ACV rinses which also give my hair lots of slip and shine.

celebriangel
December 30th, 2011, 08:03 AM
I recently dyed my hair with Directions veggie dye, and have added about 1/3 of a tub to my 500ml bottle of conditioner to keep the colour in.

Weirdly, despite the dye having no silicones in it, my hair now has loads of slip and tangles just fall out when I show them my tangle teezer. I have no idea what's causing this, but it's great!

I was using sainsbury's apple conditioner to CO with.

Ingredients of veggie dye:

Aqua, Cetearyl Alcohol, Distearoylethyl Hydroxyethylmonium Methosulfate (and)Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth 20, Butylene Glycol, Glyceryl Stearate, Citric Acid, Methylparaben. May contain: Basic Brown 17, Basic Brown 16, Basic Red 76, Basic Yellow 57, Acid Violet 43, Basic Green 4, Basic Red 46, Basic Orange 2, Basic Violet 4, Basic Violet 14, Basic Blue 7, Basic Blue 9, Basic Violet 2, H.C Yellow 4, H.C Yellow 2, H.C Orange 1, H.C Red 1, H.C Red 3, Acid Red 87, Acid Green 1.

Anyone got any idea what the magic ingredient might be? I'm getting more buildup, so I have to clarify more often (say every 6 weeks) but that's a very small price to pay.

Anje
December 30th, 2011, 08:41 AM
My hair tangles even as I'm detangling it if I've got too much protein. (Silk amino acids being a particular culprit in my case. Silk AAs != silky hair for me.) Others who are more prone to over-moisturization than I am have reported similar effects from that direction.

If you've ruled out normal product buildup (clarify if you haven't done so recently!), I'd suggest you assess your protein-moisture balance. Pay attention to the end -- they're more likely to get off. I find this article on a different site to be especially informative on how over-proteined or over-moisturized hair feels. (http://blackbeautyblackhair86911.yuku.com/topic/511/t/Hair-Breakage-and-Shedding-101.html)

ericthegreat
December 30th, 2011, 09:50 AM
My hair gets the most tangles when I've left it down all day to get tangled and knotted up by the wind and all my normal everyday movements like walking and being on my feet working. I don't even bother to try to brush or comb or even fingercomb the matted mess I have on my head until after I get home.

When I do get home, the products I will use all depend on the severity of my knots.

If by some miracle I have relatively easy, not too tangled hair then just a simple CO with my regular cone-free Suave Tropical Coconut Conditioner is all I need.

If I get moderately knotted hair, then I first apply melted coconut oil on my hair from my shoulders down (I never get tangles at my roots, only towards the ends), leave that in for at least 20 minutes, then I shower and use my Suave Tropical Coconut to wash the oil out.

And for the worse case scenarios, when my hair transforms into the gigantic Dreadlock Monster from Hell, then I make sure to not even touch my hair until I get home and I am in the shower. Once in the shower, I then apply my deep conditioner (I have a whole variety of different brands like Frederic Fekkai, Loreal Paris Professional, and Ojon) and leave that on for at least two hours. I clip my deep conditioned hair up, slip a shower cap on, then I go about my other nightly activities like watching TV and binging on ice cream until those two hours are up. Then I get back into the shower, wash the deep conditioner out, follow up with my Suave Tropical Coconut or sometimes I will switch it up and use other brands like Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine. Usually by then, I am able to take out the matted dreadlocked mess. I use my big wide tooth for this purpose. After I wash out the second regular conditioner, I will allow my hair to air-dry until it is only just damp. Then I will take a small chunk of coconut oil and melt it between my hands before applying that on my still damp hair, and I leave the oil in my hair for the rest of the next day.

jacqueline101
December 30th, 2011, 10:19 AM
I use spray in detangler. I also oil comb with a wide tooth comb in sections from ends to roots and use a leave in conditioner.

heidi w.
December 30th, 2011, 10:31 AM
People new to longer tresses are always surprised at all the tangle issues. One has to understand that you are not going to have long hair and never a tangle. But you can minimize the tangles by somehow keeping the hair contained most average days. I hardly ever wear my hair down. For example, this morning my usual bun was listing to one side and starting to painfully pull so I had to take it down and redo it at the wifi cafe I frequent. I am a regular her: on a daily basis. And there were other regulars here who've been coming here for months and staff have been working here for years, but they all have never seen my hair down, ever. Today they were shocked. It was down for about 3 minutes.

That's how often my hair is up. In summer I consider braiding a bit more, but even that I don't like. I don't like my hair rubbing against clothing, getting caught in door knobs, other people's purse zippers, in my car window or door. For work, I've been trapped by my chair rolling up my hair into an office chair, so I just avoid it all by wearing it up.

Products can help with "slip". I have a nice conditioner that does a great job at detangling, and helps with drying too.

At night I sleep on a satin pillowcase. Cotton can be surprisingly friction-y.

I reserve wearing my hair down for long hair gatherings, sometimes; and for special occasions, which hardly ever happen anymore. Winter, I absolutely do not wear it down. Wind, fuzzy fabrics, it's just a pain. So up it goes.

One has to realize there's a kind of S motion when we move our heads, and this can incite tangles at the back of the neck and lower in the length as strands move to and fro in different directions along the length. This also occurs while detangling. I've had my hair tangle when I'm untangling.

I also handle detangling of knots by not continuing to detangle with a tool. I work the knot out with my fingers. I pull upward toward the sky to loosen the knot and only then do I continue to detangle. I don't keep pulling downward on the tangle, thus tightening the knot further.

When I take my hair down, I unwrap it in reverse order to how I put it up so as not to incur tangles. I do this when de-braiding, or taking down an updo.

Tangles are one of the reasons that not all people can stand having uber long tresses. We all have a length of preference and comfort.

I hope this helps a little bit,
heidi w.

HintOfMint
December 30th, 2011, 11:19 AM
I've found that certain products along the lines of leave-in conditioners worsen tangling for me. I think that the humectants fluff up my hair and make the hairs catch on each other, even if I just combed. Emollients tend to work much better for me, oils and even shea butter has worked like a dream.

Diamond.Eyes
December 30th, 2011, 01:03 PM
When I detangle my hair I first separate my hair in two sections, then apply a small amount of coconut oil mixed with shea butter to my length and ends, and then I gently brush from the bottom my my hair to the top of my hair with me Tangle Teezer. To avoid tangling at night, I've been loosely braiding my hair. Braiding can cause tangles if you are braiding too tightly, or if your aren't braiding neatly enough. Also, I run my Tangle Teezer through my hair in the shower after I've applied conditioner. This really helps with keeping my hair tangle-free after a wash. Wearing my hair in a braid almost daily has really saved my hair from tangles as well. Now that my hair is almost long enough to sit on, it's not really a good idea to keep it loose as often as I used to :(.

lunalocks
December 30th, 2011, 02:50 PM
I have to use a detangler (MOP, pear detangler) in my wet hair. it makes a wide comb ease right through it. But it also make the dry hair easier to comb. I accidently forgot to use it once and had endless tangles for days. It didn't make such a difference before waist length, but it does now.

I also just tried Neem oil which makes my hair feel so smooth.

QMacrocarpa
December 30th, 2011, 03:50 PM
When my hair starts retangling before I'm done detangling it's time for me to do a small self-trim. Getting just the velcro ends off makes a big difference for me, and I can (so far) go quite a while between trims: my last one was about 9 months ago.

darklyndsea
December 30th, 2011, 10:48 PM
Although my hair's tangliness constantly baffles me, I do know that it's not because of wearing it down, since I only do that when changing hairstyles and while showering and drying off (which, granted, takes 5+ hours, but it's not like I have the option of damp-bunning).

I don't need a trim--my hair has acted this way my entire life, even after getting it cut. If anything, the ends give me less trouble than the rest of it, probably because they tend to be kept relatively straight because of hair ties.

I'm pretty sure that my moisture/protein balance isn't too far out of whack. AFAIK having too much moisture or protein makes your hair break, and mine doesn't. And my hair feels like it always does, which may or may not count for much.

I've tried using coconut oil before, but maybe I was using it wrong--I just put it into my dry hair.