PDA

View Full Version : Can argan oil color your hair?

Herb
December 29th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Today I bought some argan oil product (oil being the third ingredient), and I was wondering if it would stain my blonde hair reddish or darker. I've been looking around on Google, and a few people have said that because it's a red-tinted oil, it could stain light hair.

What do you guys think?

Hollyfire3
December 29th, 2011, 02:20 PM
I have never heard of this, I would try it on a bit of hair from your hair from your hairbrush and see what happens. I love your username btw...:)

jacqueline101
December 29th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Its never dyed mine.

ktani
December 29th, 2011, 03:23 PM
If you hair is very dry and porous, any coloured oil or dark vinegar can stain it. It is usually temporary. Cosmetic argan oil is light in colour, with no reddish tint that is caused by the light roasting argan oil seeds get for the food oil.

There are pictures of the different colours of argan oil here, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=516860&postcount=680

Herb
December 29th, 2011, 06:09 PM
Thanks so much, you three!

Ah, I see, they must have been talking about the cooking oil!
So beyond a shadow of a doubt, it won't leave my hair brassy over time (my hair is quite yellowish). :)

I tested it on some shed hair. It was clear and didn't affect color at all. Very light oil, and I love the smell. I think I'll probably use it.

ktani
December 29th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Thanks so much, you three!

Ah, I see, they must have been talking about the cooking oil!
So beyond a shadow of a doubt, it won't leave my hair brassy over time (my hair is quite yellowish). :)

I tested it on some shed hair. It was clear and didn't affect color at all. Very light, and I love the smell. I think I'll probably use it.

It should be fine, especially in a mix and it is most likely cosmetic argan oil. I do not think you need to worry.

Mommyof4
December 29th, 2011, 06:42 PM
I use argan oil on myself and my daughter, (her hair is blonde and mine is naturally blonde, but it's currently darkened) and I've never had an issue. I bought 4 oz for $30 at a health food store, and It's lasted for months :)

Annie44
January 5th, 2012, 04:41 PM
I use argan oil and I've never noticed any color difference.

jojo
January 5th, 2012, 05:29 PM
Mines mixed with castor oil and yes it did darken my hair when it was lighter but I am thinking this was the castor oil rather than the argon oil. I never had any problem with my hair darkening when it was in its blonde virgin state

Achtland
January 5th, 2012, 09:47 PM
I've heard this before, when I first started using Moroccanoil the sales rep asked me if I had noticed it "staining" my hair. I had very blonde hair at the time, growing it out so ends are still quite blonde :P think ombre-style? Anwyays.

But after almost a year of use I too can conclude it made no changes in the color of my hair.