PDA

View Full Version : essential oils?

gothicchick
December 29th, 2011, 02:06 PM
i'd like some facts on essentials oils for hair if possible? i understand that they can be mixed with carrier oils like jojoba, castor oil. I've bought a few essential oils (sesame seed, sage, cedarwood, and a few more that i can't remember:confused:) i heard all of these are good for hair growth. how do i mix these essential oils with the carrier oils, how do i use them? on dry hair with my BBB? or as a pre-shampoo treatment?

katsrevenge
December 29th, 2011, 02:36 PM
I know they tend to be in recipes as drops in a large amount of carrier. I use rosemary that is already in my shampoo. I love it. I haven't tried the oils personally.. YET. I mean to eventually.

Hmm... I was able to find a few good recipe pages though.

http://www.anandaapothecary.com/aromatherapy-essential-oils-news/2009/05/using-essential-oils-for-hair-growth.html

http://birchhillhappenings.com/recipes/hairskin.htm

http://www.essentialoils.co.za/hair-care.htm more a guide but interesting.

gothicchick
December 29th, 2011, 02:47 PM
I know they tend to be in recipes as drops in a large amount of carrier. I use rosemary that is already in my shampoo. I love it. I haven't tried the oils personally.. YET. I mean to eventually.

Hmm... I was able to find a few good recipe pages though.

http://www.anandaapothecary.com/aromatherapy-essential-oils-news/2009/05/using-essential-oils-for-hair-growth.html

http://birchhillhappenings.com/recipes/hairskin.htm

http://www.essentialoils.co.za/hair-care.htm more a guide but interesting.

thank you :)

ClassicalBlonde
December 29th, 2011, 07:24 PM
I know it seems obvious but if you possibly can, make sure the essential oils are 100% pure. I have bought them before and mostly they don't have any information concerning ingredients on the bottles. I did some searching and some of them turned out to be packed full of nasties that I wouldn't want on my skin or on my hair. I can be difficult getting this info though, which doesn't really help, does it! Good luck!

gogirlanime
December 29th, 2011, 07:54 PM
Dilute them to 3%

1 ounce = 600 drops = 18 drops per ounce

Now that does not mean you can put 18 drops of each oil per ounce that is total

example

1 oz carrier oil
6 drops sage
6 drops tea tree
6 drops cayenne
=18 drops essential oils for that 1 ounce of carrier oil

You can mix all oils together as far as I know

Good essential oils for growth are these:

"Gogirlanime's Hair Growth Oil
-Castor oil - 15oz (helps grow thick hair and helps nutrients penetrate better)
-Shapley's M-T-G oil - 15oz (contains sulphur and other things for rapid hair growth)
-Vitamin E oil - 1 tbsp (moisturizing)
-Tea Tree 100% essential oil - 80 drops (anti-fungal helps to block fungus that might be blocking hair growth)
-Peppermint 100% essential oil - 80 drops (Scalp stimulator)
-Sage 100% essential oil - 80 drops (contains phytoestrogens that help with hair growth)
-Spearmint 100% essential oil - 80 drops (blocks bad testosterones called androgens that stun hair growth)
-Cayenne / Chili 100% essential oil - 40 drops (help keep scalp warm and blood flow going)
-Rosemary 100% essential oil - 80 drops (scalp stimulator and nutrient transporter)"

That's from my thread here: Gogirlanime's Green House Effect With Oil For Faster Growth Technique (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=84887)

maria_tasha
December 30th, 2011, 01:47 AM
I use essential oils quite a lot. I mix them with jojoba oil or olive oil in which I add castor oil. Also I use them in my mister bottle mixed with plain water just for the roots and for smell. I use lavender (great for scalp and moisture, rosemary, tea tree, patchouli, ylang-ylang and sometimes orange just for the smell(beware of this one as it tends to lighten skin and hair and it's photosensitive).

gothicchick
December 30th, 2011, 10:38 AM
I know it seems obvious but if you possibly can, make sure the essential oils are 100% pure. I have bought them before and mostly they don't have any information concerning ingredients on the bottles. I did some searching and some of them turned out to be packed full of nasties that I wouldn't want on my skin or on my hair. I can be difficult getting this info though, which doesn't really help, does it! Good luck!

ahh i see. I buy them from a supplier called 'mother natures goodies' i often buy from her so i'd assume their 100 % :)

i hope anyway :P

gothicchick
December 30th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Dilute them to 3%

1 ounce = 600 drops = 18 drops per ounce

Now that does not mean you can put 18 drops of each oil per ounce that is total

example

1 oz carrier oil
6 drops sage
6 drops tea tree
6 drops cayenne
=18 drops essential oils for that 1 ounce of carrier oil

You can mix all oils together as far as I know

Good essential oils for growth are these:

"Gogirlanime's Hair Growth Oil
-Castor oil - 15oz (helps grow thick hair and helps nutrients penetrate better)
-Shapley's M-T-G oil - 15oz (contains sulphur and other things for rapid hair growth)
-Vitamin E oil - 1 tbsp (moisturizing)
-Tea Tree 100% essential oil - 80 drops (anti-fungal helps to block fungus that might be blocking hair growth)
-Peppermint 100% essential oil - 80 drops (Scalp stimulator)
-Sage 100% essential oil - 80 drops (contains phytoestrogens that help with hair growth)
-Spearmint 100% essential oil - 80 drops (blocks bad testosterones called androgens that stun hair growth)
-Cayenne / Chili 100% essential oil - 40 drops (help keep scalp warm and blood flow going)
-Rosemary 100% essential oil - 80 drops (scalp stimulator and nutrient transporter)"

That's from my thread here: Gogirlanime's Green House Effect With Oil For Faster Growth Technique (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=84887)

how do i dulute them and what with?

as it ok to mix any combination of oils i fancy from that list?

to find a combination i like?

do you vary the combinations of oils you use or just stick with the same ones?

gothicchick
December 30th, 2011, 10:43 AM
I use essential oils quite a lot. I mix them with jojoba oil or olive oil in which I add castor oil. Also I use them in my mister bottle mixed with plain water just for the roots and for smell. I use lavender (great for scalp and moisture, rosemary, tea tree, patchouli, ylang-ylang and sometimes orange just for the smell(beware of this one as it tends to lighten skin and hair and it's photosensitive).

i'm a blonde so maybe orange would be good for me to help with keeping my blonde vibrant?

LissaJane
January 2nd, 2012, 08:46 AM
I didn't want to start a new thread, so I figured I'd just go ahead n' ask here.... I use olive oil in my hair, but I've recently added a drop or two of Sweet Orange essential oil, for smell... Could this have some kinda negative effect on my hair?

It's feeling a little dry recently, but I've also just moved countries and started spraying my hair with a tea/herb mix. Uh. And the other day I went crazy, due to my inability to style naturally, and went nuts with hairspray, mousse, etc...
Heh, maybe a little much all at once, anyone have any idea which of the above might be causing my hair to feel so scratchy? (it's not even THAT bad, just not as nice as it used to feel :()

gothicchick
January 2nd, 2012, 09:01 AM
when using a blend of essential oils and a carrier oil do you find it best to put it though the lenghts, like every evening or something? or onto the scalp? and how often would you use it on your scalp, i don't want to have to end up shampooing my hair more because of the essential oils. Is it possible to use them on your scalp without causing greasyness?

shikara
January 2nd, 2012, 09:24 AM
I massage my tonic onto my scalp anywhere from fifteen minutes to about forty five minutes before going into the shower. I will put one or two drops on one finger on each hand and distribute it to my other fingertips with my thumbs, and massage an area with both hands, then apply more to fingertips and massage another area......I mentally divide my scalp into four areas. You only need a very thin layer. Mine washes out fine but I guess that will depend on your shampoo. My scalp always feels so wonderful, and no dryness or itching in the dry cold climate here in winter! A lot of people here oik their lengths with just coconut or olive oil, for example, before they wash, others love to wet hair, apply conditioner to length, then wash..... You will have to see what works best for your length. Oils on length dont work so well for me.

Aredhel77
January 2nd, 2012, 09:28 AM
I didn't want to start a new thread, so I figured I'd just go ahead n' ask here.... I use olive oil in my hair, but I've recently added a drop or two of Sweet Orange essential oil, for smell... Could this have some kinda negative effect on my hair?

It's feeling a little dry recently, but I've also just moved countries and started spraying my hair with a tea/herb mix. Uh. And the other day I went crazy, due to my inability to style naturally, and went nuts with hairspray, mousse, etc...
Heh, maybe a little much all at once, anyone have any idea which of the above might be causing my hair to feel so scratchy? (it's not even THAT bad, just not as nice as it used to feel :()

I wouldn't have thought that adding 2-3 drops of orange essential oil to, say, a tablespoon of olive oil would be a problem at all :flower:

gothicchick
January 2nd, 2012, 09:32 AM
I massage my tonic onto my scalp anywhere from fifteen minutes to about forty five minutes before going into the shower. I will put one or two drops on one finger on each hand and distribute it to my other fingertips with my thumbs, and massage an area with both hands, then apply more to fingertips and massage another area......I mentally divide my scalp into four areas. You only need a very thin layer. Mine washes out fine but I guess that will depend on your shampoo. My scalp always feels so wonderful, and no dryness or itching in the dry cold climate here in winter! A lot of people here oik their lengths with just coconut or olive oil, for example, before they wash, others love to wet hair, apply conditioner to length, then wash..... You will have to see what works best for your length. Oils on length dont work so well for me.

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/th_f198f0e8.jpg (http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/?action=view&current=f198f0e8.jpg)

i see, so i assume putting so little on stops the greasy scalp issue?

Aredhel77
January 2nd, 2012, 09:34 AM
when using a blend of essential oils and a carrier oil do you find it best to put it though the lenghts, like every evening or something? or onto the scalp? and how often would you use it on your scalp, i don't want to have to end up shampooing my hair more because of the essential oils. Is it possible to use them on your scalp without causing greasyness?

Essential oils themselves don't really absorb into the hair (I think tea tree may be an exception...?), so you'd want to apply it to the scalp. Try to put a little of your oil blend on your fingertips and massage it into your scalp that way. Or, I sometimes use an old, clean hair colour application bottle (the sort with a long nozzle) to help apply it closer to the roots/scalp and then massage it in well.

If you're quite sparing with the amount, it shouldn't leave your hair looking too greasy. You just need enough to be able to massage it into the scalp.

I use my essential oil blend a couple of times a week, I do it before bed and then wash it out in the morning. But it's up to you how often or when you apply, so long as your scalp doesn't react. And it depends on how greasy it makes you look LOL. Experiment and see. If you do experience any sensitivity on your scalp then maybe try diluting your blend further with a carrier or apply less often.

shikara
January 2nd, 2012, 10:15 AM
Hmmm...well probably your hairspray has alcohol in it which is drying, and as you know, hairspray is more or less a glue. Im not sure what ingredients are in your mousse, but for me it can have a stickyish effect. Did you also use heat styling tools?

Modarunner
January 2nd, 2012, 10:26 AM
I love EO's. I was using Rosemary and Clove EO's in a scalp oil I was using. Currently I add them to my ACV rinse in the shower, since I don't like my hair smelling like acv. They make my hair smell absolutely divine.

heidi w.
January 2nd, 2012, 10:56 AM
Most essential oils (oils that carry an aroma) come in a little, dark colored vial and is some form if distilled oils from an actual plant. Often in super tiny print on the label it will mention that the essential oil is held in "carrier" or "jojoba" oil as part of what's contained in the vial. But for use on hair or skin, you need the oil to be even more highly diluted, meaning you need to add more carrier oil. There's a number of ways to achieve this.

One is to pre-mix it in some sort of bottle (dark colored is preferred so that the light doesn't get to the oil and perhaps make it go bad somehow).

My method for when I "oil" my hair, which I hardly ever do anymore is to place a very, very, very tiny bit of carrier oil (my preferred choice is coconut oil) on the palm of one hand, and then a drop or two of essential oil (my fave being grapefruit scented), and then rub my palms together to kind of "melt" the carrier oil and smear the concoction around so it's merely a sheer thin layer on the palm of my hands, then lean over to one side and smear into the length of my freshly washed yet air dried hair, and then use a BBB on the already detangled hair to work in the applied oil. I only use it on the length, not the hair close to the scalp, as sebum does a fine job of "oiling" that hair. The key is that it's a sheer layer that you can only see if you tilt the palm of the hand around in the available light. You see a kind of shine, and that's it, in the palm of the hand. If there's too much oil, I pat my palms on a paper towel to remove the excess.

Some purveyors of essential oils offer free manuals about the efficacy and uses of essential oils, as well as cautions. If you're pregnant or breast feeding you have to know which are not good to use when involved in these activities; some can elevate blood pressure, and cause potential concerns for heart patients, and that kind of thing. This information is also available on line, but you may have to look for it.

I also recommend doing a test skin patch before applying to skin, or especailly open wounds. Not everyone responds quite the same way. I would exercise particular caution with elderly, babies, and young children.

heidi w.

gogirlanime
January 2nd, 2012, 11:38 AM
how do i dulute them and what with?

as it ok to mix any combination of oils i fancy from that list?

to find a combination i like?

do you vary the combinations of oils you use or just stick with the same ones?

Lately I'm sticking to this because it's making my hair grow well

You dilute them with the carrier oil like olive oil or jojoba, etc. Put up to 18 drops of essential oils in 1 oz of carrier oil that is a 3% dilution and you shouldn't go higher than that. Put all the oils you like into a bottle and shake it well and shake it every time you use it and you're done

As far as I know you can mix as many oils as you want together. Though I suggest keeping it simple. I use no more than 4-5 essential oils at once and 1-2 carrier oils at once.

Yeah by all means find a combo you like I was just suggesting something that has worked for me well.

Have fun and ask me whenever you have questions I know a lot about essential oils and what they do.

LissaJane
January 2nd, 2012, 12:53 PM
I wouldn't have thought that adding 2-3 drops of orange essential oil to, say, a tablespoon of olive oil would be a problem at all :flower:

Thaaannk you :) That's what I thought too. Maybe it's the change of water. The tea/herb mix has never had a neg. effect on me before

gothicchick
January 2nd, 2012, 12:58 PM
Lately I'm sticking to this because it's making my hair grow well

You dilute them with the carrier oil like olive oil or jojoba, etc. Put up to 18 drops of essential oils in 1 oz of carrier oil that is a 3% dilution and you shouldn't go higher than that. Put all the oils you like into a bottle and shake it well and shake it every time you use it and you're done

As far as I know you can mix as many oils as you want together. Though I suggest keeping it simple. I use no more than 4-5 essential oils at once and 1-2 carrier oils at once.

Yeah by all means find a combo you like I was just suggesting something that has worked for me well.

Have fun and ask me whenever you have questions I know a lot about essential oils and what they do.

thank you for the help :) i'm interesting in using them on my scalp daily, without having to wash it the next morning (i try to wash my hair as least often as i can, which is about twice a week) so is it possible to apply enough for it to have effects (i'm particulary interested in the hair growth properties of some EO's) but not leave it greasy?

gothicchick
January 2nd, 2012, 01:00 PM
Essential oils themselves don't really absorb into the hair (I think tea tree may be an exception...?), so you'd want to apply it to the scalp. Try to put a little of your oil blend on your fingertips and massage it into your scalp that way. Or, I sometimes use an old, clean hair colour application bottle (the sort with a long nozzle) to help apply it closer to the roots/scalp and then massage it in well.

If you're quite sparing with the amount, it shouldn't leave your hair looking too greasy. You just need enough to be able to massage it into the scalp.

I use my essential oil blend a couple of times a week, I do it before bed and then wash it out in the morning. But it's up to you how often or when you apply, so long as your scalp doesn't react. And it depends on how greasy it makes you look LOL. Experiment and see. If you do experience any sensitivity on your scalp then maybe try diluting your blend further with a carrier or apply less often.

i see, so you don't recommend EO's for the length at all?

gothicchick
January 2nd, 2012, 01:01 PM
I love EO's. I was using Rosemary and Clove EO's in a scalp oil I was using. Currently I add them to my ACV rinse in the shower, since I don't like my hair smelling like acv. They make my hair smell absolutely divine.

yeah i'm going to be starting AVC rinsing with WV instead though and i'm worried about the smell, so i expect EO's will be helpful for me there, I hadn't thought of using them with rinses.

gothicchick
January 2nd, 2012, 01:03 PM
Most essential oils (oils that carry an aroma) come in a little, dark colored vial and is some form if distilled oils from an actual plant. Often in super tiny print on the label it will mention that the essential oil is held in "carrier" or "jojoba" oil as part of what's contained in the vial. But for use on hair or skin, you need the oil to be even more highly diluted, meaning you need to add more carrier oil. There's a number of ways to achieve this.

One is to pre-mix it in some sort of bottle (dark colored is preferred so that the light doesn't get to the oil and perhaps make it go bad somehow).

My method for when I "oil" my hair, which I hardly ever do anymore is to place a very, very, very tiny bit of carrier oil (my preferred choice is coconut oil) on the palm of one hand, and then a drop or two of essential oil (my fave being grapefruit scented), and then rub my palms together to kind of "melt" the carrier oil and smear the concoction around so it's merely a sheer thin layer on the palm of my hands, then lean over to one side and smear into the length of my freshly washed yet air dried hair, and then use a BBB on the already detangled hair to work in the applied oil. I only use it on the length, not the hair close to the scalp, as sebum does a fine job of "oiling" that hair. The key is that it's a sheer layer that you can only see if you tilt the palm of the hand around in the available light. You see a kind of shine, and that's it, in the palm of the hand. If there's too much oil, I pat my palms on a paper towel to remove the excess.

Some purveyors of essential oils offer free manuals about the efficacy and uses of essential oils, as well as cautions. If you're pregnant or breast feeding you have to know which are not good to use when involved in these activities; some can elevate blood pressure, and cause potential concerns for heart patients, and that kind of thing. This information is also available on line, but you may have to look for it.

I also recommend doing a test skin patch before applying to skin, or especailly open wounds. Not everyone responds quite the same way. I would exercise particular caution with elderly, babies, and young children.

heidi w.

thank you so much for the information :) have you found EO's to have any noticeable hair growth properties for you?

Aredhel77
January 2nd, 2012, 01:26 PM
i see, so you don't recommend EO's for the length at all?.

I have read somewhere that they don't, so if you don't want to waste them it might not be a good idea. But some people use them for fragrance on the hair length, although being 'volatile' oils (i.e they evaporate quickly), the fragrance might not last long. If it's blended into a carrier oil, the vegetable oil will do the length some good anyway. Otherwise I'd suggest just using a hair-friendly vegetable oil on your actual length such as coconut, argan, jojoba, olive oil etc :smile:. I believe the purpose of using EO's is really to stimulate the scalp and hopefully the hair follicles (whether THAT actually works, I'm not sure, but increasing blood flow is probably helpful) :smile:

ETA: And if nothing else, a massage feels good LOL

gothicchick
January 2nd, 2012, 01:33 PM

I have read somewhere that they don't, so if you don't want to waste them it might not be a good idea. But some people use them for fragrance on the hair length, although being 'volatile' oils (i.e they evaporate quickly), the fragrance might not last long. If it's blended into a carrier oil, the vegetable oil will do the length some good anyway. Otherwise I'd suggest just using a hair-friendly vegetable oil on your actual length such as coconut, argan, jojoba, olive oil etc :smile:. I believe the purpose of using EO's is really to stimulate the scalp and hopefully the hair follicles (whether THAT actually works, I'm not sure, but increasing blood flow is probably helpful) :smile:

ETA: And if nothing else, a massage feels good LOL

ahh i see, ok then thank you :)

shikara
January 2nd, 2012, 02:54 PM
Different EOs can have different effects on the skins conditionon the scalp - all a part of maintaining a healthy head of hair. Although many increase blood circulation, others keep skin supple, elastic, free from fungus, bacteria, help balance hormones, etc. I swear my scalp has never felt so good! Of course they are not good all bt themselves.....a healthy diet, not being sedentary, having stress coping skills, and good hair care are all a part of best growing!

MagicalMystery
January 2nd, 2012, 06:12 PM
I've heard good things about rosemary oil for scalp stimulation.

gothicchick
January 3rd, 2012, 12:23 AM
Different EOs can have different effects on the skins conditionon the scalp - all a part of maintaining a healthy head of hair. Although many increase blood circulation, others keep skin supple, elastic, free from fungus, bacteria, help balance hormones, etc. I swear my scalp has never felt so good! Of course they are not good all bt themselves.....a healthy diet, not being sedentary, having stress coping skills, and good hair care are all a part of best growing!

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/th_44053aa6.jpg (http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/?action=view&current=44053aa6.jpg)

i see, thank you :):cheese:

gothicchick
January 3rd, 2012, 12:24 AM
I've heard good things about rosemary oil for scalp stimulation.
yes, so have i actually. i've bought some, I'll have to let you know how it goes :P

maria_tasha
January 3rd, 2012, 03:03 AM
As I said before rosemary it's great as a scalp stimulator. it promotes growth and also cures fungus infection.

bouclée
January 3rd, 2012, 06:41 AM
Essential Oils are great and very powerful. But they can be dangerous too if not used with caution. Rosemary is good for the scalp indeed, but you have to be sure to use the right rosemary EO, because there are several species. ROSMARINUS OFFICINALIS CINEOL is the one you can use safely on the scalp.

As far as sage is concerned, please make sure to chose SALVIA SCLAREA and not salvia officinalis. Do not use salvia sclarea in case you have/had breast cancer as it stimulates œstrogens.

Please research further if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, as many EO should not be used in these situations.

I love EO but I always find it a bit scary to see that some people use them without having at least a basic knowledge on the subject.

heidi w.
January 3rd, 2012, 09:33 AM
There's tons of stuff online regarding safety and precautions for use of essential oils online, and there are also books one can purchase. Many purveyors of essential oils also offer free pamphlets on this subject for their product line.

Some stuff you want to be careful using if you're going to be in the sun, have any health issues such as heart or even merely high blood pressure.

FYI: Jojoba Oil most closely mimics one's sebum that is produced by the body. There is no need to be using vegetable oil. For one, it may be too thick or heavy or viscous and may pose a problem rinsing out of the hair especially if you are a bit heavy-handed with the use of it.

If you have a scalp skin problem, such as I do with Seborrheic Dermatitus, a particularly nasty form of Dandruff, applying stuff to scalp skin can actually aggravate the condition. So just beware.

A lot of manuals, now, are suggesting using essential oils for ingestion, inside the body. I just wouldn't do this. And if you choose to, MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING. Essential oils are highly diluted and very pure forms of the "essence" of a plant. And I would never give it to anyone else to ingest because you don't know what it could trigger for the other person.

And please, run a test on a bit of skin somewhere before applying more broadly on the skin, to ensure you have a positive reaction.

Be safe out there.

The use of essential oils falls under a braoder category of Aromatherapy. So you can find a lot of information by searching for Aromatherapy.

heidi w.

heidi w.
January 3rd, 2012, 09:35 AM
Essential Oils are great and very powerful. But they can be dangerous too if not used with caution. Rosemary is good for the scalp indeed, but you have to be sure to use the right rosemary EO, because there are several species. ROSMARINUS OFFICINALIS CINEOL is the one you can use safely on the scalp.

As far as sage is concerned, please make sure to chose SALVIA SCLAREA and not salvia officinalis. Do not use salvia sclarea in case you have/had breast cancer as it stimulates œstrogens.

Please research further if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, as many EO should not be used in these situations.

I love EO but I always find it a bit scary to see that some people use them without having at least a basic knowledge on the subject.

I entirely agree. It's not hard to become informed, but it's so important.

heidi w.

gogirlanime
January 3rd, 2012, 09:44 AM
I beg to differ (sorry not to disagree...). I think essential oils can help with faster growth. Tea tree oil blocks fungus in the same way that monistat does and that has pretty much been "proven" as something that accelerates hair growth. Then spearmint is an anti-androgen which means it block's DHT a type of testosterone that causes male pattern baldness and if you don't have it it will block the DHT from stunning your growth and will help with less shedding. If you can tolerate the smell garlic oil is great to lessen shedding (which indirectly helps with growth because your "hair life" is longer). Then cayenne and rosemary help bring circulation and blood flow to your scalp which is going to help circulate your vitamins and nutrients to your hair shaft better. Tea tree is also strong on phytoestrogens which help with hair growth. Women who take a very strong phytoestrogen called Pueraria Mirifica say that their hair grows thick and shiny. When women are pregnant their estrogen is up and their hair grows faster. I think it will accelerate your growth a bit just essential oils only, but it's sulphur oil or Monistat that are going to give you the real accelerated growth

gothicchick
January 3rd, 2012, 12:52 PM
I beg to differ (sorry not to disagree...). I think essential oils can help with faster growth. Tea tree oil blocks fungus in the same way that monistat does and that has pretty much been "proven" as something that accelerates hair growth. Then spearmint is an anti-androgen which means it block's DHT a type of testosterone that causes male pattern baldness and if you don't have it it will block the DHT from stunning your growth and will help with less shedding. If you can tolerate the smell garlic oil is great to lessen shedding (which indirectly helps with growth because your "hair life" is longer). Then cayenne and rosemary help bring circulation and blood flow to your scalp which is going to help circulate your vitamins and nutrients to your hair shaft better. Tea tree is also strong on phytoestrogens which help with hair growth. Women who take a very strong phytoestrogen called Pueraria Mirifica say that their hair grows thick and shiny. When women are pregnant their estrogen is up and their hair grows faster. I think it will accelerate your growth a bit just essential oils only, but it's sulphur oil or Monistat that are going to give you the real accelerated growth

i've never heard of sulpur or monistat oil? could you enlighten me?

Riselda
January 9th, 2012, 06:47 PM
My favorite for use in the hair are rosemary, peppermint, and tea tree.

gothicchick
January 16th, 2012, 10:58 AM
My favorite for use in the hair are rosemary, peppermint, and tea tree.

yes i like these too :)

afu
May 29th, 2012, 05:08 PM
I use peppermint every so often mixed into my coconut oil which i use on my lengths, simply for the scent because I get fed up of so much coconut all the time! It gives such a fresh scent.

I have some sweet orange oil which i love the smell of (I have also read it can help with sleep and depression which I could do with some help with), but I know many sites recommend not to apply if you are going into sunlight so i've not gotten round to ever using it. I was thinking of maybe adding a few drops to my OCM sweet almond oil seeing as that gets (mostly) washed off

PolarCathy
June 1st, 2012, 03:13 PM
As far as sage is concerned, please make sure to chose SALVIA SCLAREA and not salvia officinalis. Do not use salvia sclarea in case you have/had breast cancer as it stimulates œstrogens....

What''s wrong with Salvia officinalis? AFAIK both are good for hair.

My personal fave is Thyme but it can cause serious chemical burn undiluted, or even diluted (been there done that)

gonzobird
June 1st, 2012, 06:35 PM
I mix 5 or 6 drops of lavender to about 5 drops patchouli in jojoba (in a small amber bottle, half filled with jojoba) for just a "perfume". I always put a bit in my hair . I do it because I love the small of those two together, not for anything else. I also use jojoba because its the least likely carrier oil to go rancid. :)

ps. I love the brand NOW for my essential oils.

snowcloud
June 1st, 2012, 07:52 PM
Here are some excellent ones for hair growth that I have used..

Tea Tree
Eucalyptus
Fennel
Peppermint
Anise
Rosemary
Carrot Seed
Cypress
Cedarwood

Some of those are more of stress relievers that sooth the mind.. in turn promoting healthy growth. I also highly suggests getting YLANG YLANG

Trust me you will fall in love with it.......!!!

Milui Elenath
June 2nd, 2012, 07:13 AM
I have to echo a few warnings already mentioned here. Sage - Salvia Officinalis is not commonly used in aromatherapy while Salvia Sclarea - Clary Sage is often used but should NOT be used when pregnant. Thyme oil is also not an oil I would recommend as it can be quite toxic with continued use.

EO's are great and I think they are wonderful medicines and tonics given to us by nature but I say this both as a qualified and once upon a time practicing (not these days) aromatherapist, treat them with respect and find out about contraindications/cautions. In my early days I was careless with them and gave myself a narcotic reaction from treating myself for a headache from a few drops on my temples. I have had a deep respect for them ever after. EO's should never be used without dilution.

ETA Oh and if you are pregnant personally I would avoid them altogether until labour.

PolarCathy
June 2nd, 2012, 08:27 AM
I have to echo a few warnings already mentioned here. Sage - Salvia Officinalis is not commonly used in aromatherapy while Salvia Sclarea - Clary Sage is often used but should NOT be used when pregnant.

Can you please explain the Salvia Officinalis? I'm begging I use it and I want to know why I shouldn't, if that's the case. I use it in small amounts as I know that it contains camphor/thujone. I also never take it internally (poison). Thanks!

Milui Elenath
June 20th, 2012, 01:51 AM
Sorry I didn't come back to this thread till now.
I can't really answer thoroughly PolarCathy because I've not been practising and I'm a bit out of date with some of the new info but from memory it's precisely because of the thujone (ketone) content - skin irritations, abortifacient, risk of convulsions etc.

My notes (from my qualifications) suggest that Sage in practice does not appear to be hazardous despite it's high thujone content but should be used short term and well diluted. There was some research going on into the molecular shapes of thujone when I last updated my skills which might have possibly explained this contradiction.

I suspect that aromatherapists have avoided it in favour of other oils simply because of the unanswered questions. I know I personally preferred to do no harm and err on the safe side with my patients (refusing to massage pregnant women even though my colleagues did not) I never wanted to be responsible or even wonder if I was. I am a lot LOT less careful when it comes to myself.:rolleyes:

In any case avoid Sage if pregnant, high blood pressure, epileptic, (also I would add autoimmune, kidney or liver disease)

HairySherry
July 18th, 2012, 08:55 AM
I mix 5 or 6 drops of lavender to about 5 drops patchouli in jojoba (in a small amber bottle, half filled with jojoba) for just a "perfume". I always put a bit in my hair . I do it because I love the small of those two together, not for anything else. I also use jojoba because its the least likely carrier oil to go rancid. :)

ps. I love the brand NOW for my essential oils.

I just got a bottle of NOW Rosemary EO. I LOVE it! I put a mixture of coconut oil, Proclaim Natural 7 oil and 2-3 drops of Rosemary EO in my hair last night before braiding for bed. The smell was wonderful and my hair was so much softer this morning that it is when I use just coconut oil for my pre-wash treatment. I've been playing it safe for the past few months (I'm kinda new here) and that was my first experimentation with making my own concoction. How empowering! :)

I've been getting more into EO's but I'm trying to be cautious as well. The first EO I had was Tea Tree and I didn't even do a test patch before putting some on a zit before bed one night. I'm lucky I didn't wake up with something funky going on with my face. I've learned to be a bit more careful.

Anyway, loving this info. I plan to slowly add to my stock of EO's so I've been doing a bit of research.

Just have to say, this website has done wonders for my confidence. :)