PDA

View Full Version : Short hair question

WaitingSoLong
December 29th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Hi! My MIL was asking me advice on keeping her ends protected/healthy. She has short (2-4") hair, I told her the basics of heat damage, dyes, perms, oils, sulfates, shampooing, etc. She wants to grow her hair a bit longer (but not long enough for up-do's). Maybe 6".

Obviously bunning is not an option.

As a long hair, I am not very familiar with shorter hair-health.

Does it vary much? More apt to dry out? Are different products better for shorter hair (like less oils?).

She is in her late 60's. She does not color her hair. It has thinned with age (it is strawberry blonde...still! No gray!). She tells me her hair splits so much she can't grow past a couple inches.

Educate me! Can she do anything to promote thickness? What advice might you give her?

Anje
December 29th, 2011, 01:00 PM
It seems strange to me that she gets splits at so short a length. Does she use conditioner? I'd think conditioning and combing slowly would be helpful. Some people get tangles easily and rip brushes through them without a second thought.

My DH (you've met him) uses Rogaine with great success, and it's thickened his rather thin hair in general. The liquid also seems to give a bit of volume. She might get good results if she wanted to try that.

Amber_Maiden
December 29th, 2011, 01:05 PM
If she can do a low ponytail, with it tucked in a bit, that should help with damage.

spidermom
December 29th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Investing in a good conditioner and combing the conditioner through in the shower should be protection enough for hair that short (even 6"). Tell her not to rub it briskly with a towel.

WaitingSoLong
December 29th, 2011, 02:24 PM
She does use conditioner. She uses volumizing stuff, not sure if it has cones.

I think maybe she uses curling irons, possibly also it could be meds she is on (why her hair splits so easily).

I am suspicious that what she thinks is unhealthy hair may be bad advice from a hair dresser. I am not sure how she inspects such short hair for splits, if she gets up close with a mirror or is inspecting shed hairs or what. I have not inspected her hair myself, tho I think I might next time I see her.

This all started with a conversation about my dd's new haircut on Christmas Day and she said something about trimming splits then, I can't recall the exact comment only that it was contrary to what I have learned, I had offered her my opinion. I usually don't contradict her but this was HAIR. I mean, I practically have a PhD ya know (snark).

silverjen
December 29th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Short isn't all that much different than long, in that the same things will damage it. It will be harder to judge the right amount of oil to use, since much less is needed. But avoiding, heat, chemicals, and friction damage is all the same. I bet deep conditioning treatments would help, too.

Anje
December 29th, 2011, 08:40 PM
Maybe you need to watch how she handles her hair after washing it. (No idea if you have that sort of relationship. I do with my mom, but I know how variable such things are.) I'll bet she's doing something in there that's causing damage. Styling, or rough handling, or some such thing that will make you cringe.

WaitingSoLong
December 30th, 2011, 06:32 AM
Didn't think of DCTs, that is a good thought.

I doubt I will ever witness her hair care, just not how we are. I know what you mean, though, I have seen my mom do hers.

pepperminttea
December 30th, 2011, 06:42 AM
It's probably handling or her meds, but given her hair is so split-prone, could it be her diet? A simple multi-vitamin might help (given time). :)

WaitingSoLong
December 30th, 2011, 08:05 AM
I have no clue what she eats. It could be any of those things.

share801
December 30th, 2011, 12:01 PM
I know it depends on your hair and your stylist and all, but my hair was a mess when short and razor cut.