PDA

View Full Version : If you were me, how much would you trim?

MicheleClaire
December 29th, 2011, 12:25 PM
I'm going into the salon next week. How much do you think I should trim? My hair is naturally straight. What kind of hemline would you ask for?

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5997&pictureid=122225 (braidwaves)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5997&pictureid=122226 (wet)

Honest opinions, please!

PrairieRose
December 29th, 2011, 12:29 PM
I wouldn't cut too much, I wish my hair was that long:) But I guess it depends on why you are getting it cut? Do you feel there is damage?

motormuffin
I wouldn't do much. I think your hair looks nice and healthy. I would do about an inch, maybe less.

Madora
While both your photographs are beautiful, it is hard to tell since the very ends can't be seen closeup. If they don't have splits or white dots, then I'd say don't trim.

If you feel like trimming, then 1/2 inch at most.

bunzfan
Your hair looks very healthy to me, what about a 1/2 inch to a inch depending on how much you think it needs taking off. A soft u of straight across would look lovely and you could still wear it up.

MonaLisa
December 29th, 2011, 12:47 PM
1/2 inch max, honestly...
Hope you have a good stylists who listens?

Amber_Maiden
December 29th, 2011, 12:48 PM
I wouldn't trim much either. If you are looking for a change I think a U hemline would look great on you!

lapushka
December 29th, 2011, 12:49 PM
I can't for the life of me see why you'd need to trim.

Amazinggrace
December 29th, 2011, 12:49 PM
I would so a gentle U hemline, with the bottom just brushing the wiastband of your jeans.

You have beautiful hair. :)

spidermom
December 29th, 2011, 12:50 PM
I favor the U-hem, too, but that would mean the stylist would be taking a little more off at the sides than the center back, so you can't specify a single number (like 1/2 inch).

I can't see any damage from here, so it doesn't look like you "need" a trim.

Zesty
December 29th, 2011, 12:52 PM
If I were you, I wouldn't trim at all! Lol. Unless there's damage we can't see. But if you're set on it, I'd just get a tiny dusting to get a gentle U hemline.

freckles
December 29th, 2011, 12:54 PM
less than an inch because your hair looks fine to me :) And I'd keep the straight-across ish hemline. Basically I think your hair looks perfect, so keep it as close to that as possible :lol:

Anje
December 29th, 2011, 12:55 PM
I'll trade you hemlines! Would that my ends were so thick...

I don't think you need much of a trim. If you're going to get one, just have enough taken off to make the ends even. I think I'd opt for a blunt, straight hemline if I were you. "U"s are nice too, but because I wear braids more than loose, I like the convenience and repeatability of trimming straight across.

Rosethorn
December 29th, 2011, 12:57 PM
I think your hair is really beautiful and healthy. I wouldn't trim at all. It looks so thick and full. Is there damage we can't see?

OhioLisa
December 29th, 2011, 01:16 PM
I wouldn't trim either. Your hair is gorgeous. :)

pepperminttea
December 29th, 2011, 01:20 PM
I'd just get a micro-trim, if anything at all. Your hair looks healthy with a thick hemline. :)

moon2dove
December 29th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Do you need a trim to maintain?

Have you got split ends?

Have you any white dots?

If no to the above, why do you need to trim?

I think your hair looks healthy and :agape:

Annalouise
December 29th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Your hair looks healthy. So just get the minimum trim to maintain the ends 1/4-1/2 inch.

Unless you have damage that we can't see.

I see the ends are lighter but that is unavoidable if you live in a sunny climate.

ElusiveMuse
December 29th, 2011, 01:27 PM
My honest opinion is that your hair looks beautiful and thick so I'd do a blunt hemline.

jujube
December 29th, 2011, 01:29 PM
I'd go with a gentle U too.

Loreley
December 29th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Your hair looks healthy and thick but if you want to trim I'd say less than an inch. I like blunt and U shaped hemlines, I think both would look great with your hair.

Macaroni
December 29th, 2011, 01:42 PM
I wouldn't touch it, your hair is perfect.

Darkessa
December 29th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Less than an inch.
It looks healthy, simply get rid of the angryness!

kittymallow
December 29th, 2011, 01:56 PM
my oh my! i think your hair is perfect as it is! you are now one of my inspirations!

MissAlida
December 29th, 2011, 02:16 PM
A U hem would look great on your hair. I'd cut 1 inch at most, it seems to be healthy.

mzBANGBANG
December 29th, 2011, 02:31 PM
For one, OMG your hair is so gorgeous! I definitely say U-hemline. I can't tell by the pic if your ends are damaged because they look great to me! *If* my hair were that long (a big I WISH) I might go ahead and get 2 inches MAX cut off, just to be safe for future growth, but really only you or your stylist can tell how much you really need. Don't cut anymore than that though! Your hair is so beautiful!

DuckyDot
December 29th, 2011, 02:34 PM
I agree with other posters that less than an inch or maybe a light U hemline! I can't really tell if the ends are damaged. Your hair is gorgeous!

Maktub
December 29th, 2011, 02:46 PM
wow, such gorgeous hair ! I'm a big trimmer here, and I tend to tell people to trimm all damage out... I actually think (to myself) when I see pictures or people IRL that their hair should be trimmed back to this undamaged / beautiful lenght, even if that means going from TL to APL !

But you... I was all ready to tell you to trimm back much shorter, but I must honnestly say your hair is gorgeous all the way down.

I would trimm though, BEFORE it becomes damaged. I'd go from 1/2 to 1 inch at the most. YOU HAVE BEAUTIFUL HAIR, honnest it's just gorgeously healthy looking.

(I like your current hemlime on you !)

Mommyof4
December 29th, 2011, 02:55 PM
I would only trim an inch off! Freshens it up, but the length will be back soon. Your hair is GORGEOUS and I wish my hair was that long! I would have a slight U, but if you like to do updo's and braids, I would keep an even hemline so that you don't have stray layers/hairs sticking out.

Mommyof4
December 29th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Wow, after posting, I read some of the responses and it seems like the majority all say what I said lol.. Great minds think alike!

ladyfey
December 29th, 2011, 02:58 PM
I can't for the life of me see why you'd need to trim.

This! I'd say cancel the appointment!

ArienEllariel
December 29th, 2011, 03:01 PM
I wouldn't trim. If you really really want to trim, take off just a little bit. Your hair looks just fine to me. :)

eicamawa
December 29th, 2011, 03:05 PM
I wouldn't take mutch, just the ends a little bit, maybe 1/2 inch or something, just to make the ends more even (not that you need it). Your hair is lovley as it is :) As for the hemline, as a personal preference I like mine to be cut in a slight U-shape, as I think to cut it directly of is a little hard, but that's just for personal preference :)

lesbia
December 29th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Beautiful!!! Don't cut in my opinion :) maybe at least one-two inches with a blunt hemline...I'm totally in love with your hair :D

jacqueline101
December 29th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Hem line is your choice but as far as the amount goes I get half inch twice a year. I search and destroy my splits in the between time.

CarpeDM
December 29th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Your ends look pretty thick and healthy, I personally would trim less than an inch...

Heartwillfollow
December 29th, 2011, 03:49 PM
I'm in for no trim, looks healthy, looks beautiful down ?? hate to see a salon trip with a bad cut create damage where no damage exist..

almond
December 29th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Your hair looks lovely, as if it was just trimmed recently. I wouldn't trim, or just 1 cm if you think you need it.

CurlyCap
December 29th, 2011, 09:52 PM
Honestly, it only looks damaged in the wet picture BUT I know nothing about straight hair and that may just be how the ends look. The dry photo looks perfectly healthy and I would've said you don't need a trim at all!

Based on the WET picture, I'd trim about an inch and ask for a gentle U-hemline.

vanity_acefake
December 29th, 2011, 10:15 PM
I would not trim at all, unless you feel the ends really need it. Then 1/4 to 1/2 an inch only. Keep your blunt straight hemline.
Your hair is beautiful.

holothuroidea
December 29th, 2011, 10:42 PM
Do you have damage? It looks so lovely.

My initial reaction to seeing the dry picture was, "let it fairy tale." If you prefer to have a defined hemline or want to maintain at your current length, I would keep it straight across. Your hair texture and color is very romantic and anything else would look too "done" to me.

ETA: I see that the first picture is braid waves. If you don't usually have those waves in your hair I would keep the blunt hemline.
:twocents:

jeanniet
December 29th, 2011, 10:45 PM
You know your ends better than we do, so if you feel you need the trim, I'd say 1-2" is probably enough. Your hemline looks really good to me! I always like a bit of a U, but I think with your hair being fairly straight you could do either a U or blunt and have it look good. Beautiful hair!

lacefrost
December 29th, 2011, 10:59 PM
I say don't trim.

If you do trim, straight across is nice. But I think a soft U would be just lovely on you. It really would.

Renbirde
December 29th, 2011, 11:10 PM
Definitely less than 2". I usually go a little long between trims, then whack off a few inches when things start looking thin. You could probably go for a while yet before you have noticeably thin ends. If you really want to get it trimmed, I'd go for either a dusting or 1/2"-1" off at the center, rising into a nice U.

You have lovely hair, by the way!

akilina
December 30th, 2011, 12:22 AM
just a tiny trim id say. changing your hemline would involve cutting more off than you ask for to achieve a different shape. im personally a fan of doing just a straight across weight line :)

Night_Kitten
December 30th, 2011, 06:44 AM
I think that if you don't have damage but feel like trimming, then trim 1/4 to 1/2 inch at most, just to freshen up the hemline... Definitely not more than 1/2 an inch in my opinion :)
Personally I like straight across or ferytail hemlines, I think a soft U shape would also look lovely on you, but at the bottom line it depends on what you want and like most...

Diamond.Eyes
December 30th, 2011, 11:09 AM
If I were you, I wouldn't trim at all :D. Your hair looks wonderfully healthy to me. :p

invisiblebabe
December 30th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Looking at those pictures, I don't think you *need* to trim unless you are wanting to maintain at this length, so I wouldn't do more than an inch.

You have beautiful hair :flower: I really like the golden color and thick hemline!

goldenmoments
December 30th, 2011, 12:01 PM
I would not trim, from what I see, your hair is lovely. So unless you want to maintain this length or want a change in style, or have damage none of us can see- I would not trim.

if you are planning to keep growing longer, imagine how long it will take you to grow out the U hemline to be blunt if you change your mind later

jojo
December 30th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Id cut 0" off, your hair doesn't need a trim IMHO! if its not broke, don't fix it, looks good to me!

blondie9912
December 30th, 2011, 03:30 PM
I would get about half an inch taken off of the very ends, and some light layers cut into the ends. Unless of course, you're going for a completely blunt hemline.

dulce
December 30th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Your hem looks so neat,thick and straight! I wouldn't trim,I don't think you need to.Your hair is shiny,thick and beautiful,why trim?

MissManda
December 30th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Your ends look good to me, so I'd trim one inch max, preferably less just to make the ends more even, maybe 0.5". :)

Mrs_Zombie
December 30th, 2011, 10:29 PM
You have lovely hair. I would say between 1/2-1". However, I've learned to always ask for less than what I actually want and then I'll get something I'm happy with. :)