PDA

View Full Version : Time to Trim?

Vanille_
December 29th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Quick question. I haven't trimmed my hair in six months. However, I still don't have any split ends. Should I leave it alone until I do?

moon2dove
December 29th, 2011, 12:05 PM
I would if there are no splits or white dots.

Amber_Maiden
December 29th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Same. I wouldn't trim unless I had to.

sazzie88
December 29th, 2011, 12:15 PM
I also need to do the same but cant face loosing any length! why not do some S&Ding?

white.chocolate
December 29th, 2011, 12:21 PM
I agree with the others. If your hair looks healthy, just delay trimming.

Eboshi
December 29th, 2011, 12:27 PM
What is your goal length and how fast do you wish to reach it?

I've reached my goal length and found that S&D is more than adequate to help me maintain it. Trims are a once or twice a year occurrence and only for the purpose of evening up the hemline. I use this as a rule of thumb: if the hair continues to have tangles despite several S&D sessions and moisturizing treatments then it's time for a trim.

Vanille_
December 29th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Thanks everyone.

I still have another foot or so to go for goal length.

Annalouise
December 29th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Personally, I think it is good to trim 1/4-1/2 inch every 3-4 months because it keeps the hemline even and free of split ends. If you have no split ends I would still trim 1/4" to keep a nice hemline. :)

DuckyDot
December 29th, 2011, 02:20 PM
I only trim if my ends are really thin or I have too many split ends. Thus, as long as your hemline is as you like it - I see no need to trim. :) Happy Growing!

PriscillaCherel
December 29th, 2011, 02:24 PM
I should trim 0.5 inch:P Not more haha

WaitingSoLong
December 29th, 2011, 02:30 PM
The only reason I trim is to get rid of damage. If you have a foot to go, I don't see the point in trimming. You will just delay reaching your goal. I've gone as long as 2 years without trims.

ChristyCheryl
December 29th, 2011, 02:53 PM
My rule: Don't trim til you see the splits.

Maktub
December 29th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Personally, I think it is good to trim 1/4-1/2 inch every 3-4 months because it keeps the hemline even and free of split ends. If you have no split ends I would still trim 1/4" to keep a nice hemline. :)

I'm like this too, all about preventing damage, before it happens.

jacqueline101
December 29th, 2011, 02:56 PM
I'd leave it alone if you don't have any splits.

Shesta
December 29th, 2011, 03:04 PM
I'd grow it out until I start to see splits and then trim.

cooklaezo13
December 29th, 2011, 03:22 PM
I am having the same debate with myself, to trim or not to trim?!? It's been four months and I have no splits, so I think I'll wait two more months then go for a little tiny trim to even up the hemline.

jaine
December 29th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Run your fingers down a lock of hair all the way down to the ends ... when your fingers reach the ends, can you feel where individual hairs end?

That's my cue to trim - to me it's a sign that the ends are damaged somehow even though they aren't splitting yet. If I do this test on freshly trimmed hair, I can't feel where the hairs end.

Mesmerise
December 29th, 2011, 06:12 PM
I think it depends on how you feel about your hair and the way it's looking at the moment.

Obviously it doesn't NEED a trim, but it could start looking a bit straggly due to uneven hair growth, and if that bothers you then maybe you should trim to keep the ends even.

However, if you're happy with the way your hair looks then leave it!

Diamond.Eyes
December 30th, 2011, 11:06 AM
I know it's time for a trim when my ends are dry. That's when I feel that it's most vulnerable. I get my hair trimmed once, sometimes twice a year. If your ends are dry I would consider a trim. :)

heidi w.
December 30th, 2011, 11:09 AM
How's your hemline looking. If your last trim was around 6 months ago, you probably don't need to trim, probably. I only trim if my hemline is pretty frazzled and looking unkempt and I'm having too many tangles. Meaning, that a trim occurs about once every other year, something around that approximately.

heidi w.

jojo
December 30th, 2011, 12:39 PM

I've reached my goal length and found that S&D is more than adequate to help me maintain it. Trims are a once or twice a year occurrence and only for the purpose of evening up the hemline. I use this as a rule of thumb: if the hair continues to have tangles despite several S&D sessions and moisturizing treatments then it's time for a trim.

this! this is my new rules too:)

blondie9912
December 30th, 2011, 03:29 PM
It depends on your hair. I have heavily coloured hair between APL and BSL, and I don't think I can just leave it be for a year because breakage would make my hemline uneven. However, if you have healthy, virgin hair, you can probably put it up and forget about it for up to 2 years!

Lostsoule77
December 30th, 2011, 03:50 PM

I'd say this is the perfect answer.

Vanille_
December 30th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Thank you everyone. My hemline looks okay I think and there doesn't seem to be damage when I run my fingers down the length. So I think I will leave it alone. I don't use anything harsh, CO, no heat, and Manic Panic for color. It feels pretty good. (well usually ... It's readjusting right now after being in Europe - I had to go to a CWC cause the water was different or something)

Thanks so much for the advice. Glad I didn't cut it.

Ceridwen Iris
December 30th, 2011, 04:29 PM
I haven't cut my hair for about 2 years (I'm honestly not sure when my last cut was but it was over a year ago) and still don't see the need to trim. I actually far prefer the uneven hemline I get when I don't cut/trim my hair as a blunt cut just seems to make it look even more boofy.

I don't have fairytailing at the ends, or any splits etc, despite using a straight iron every now and again and having blonde highlilghts.