PDA

View Full Version : "Not Combing" Experiment underway -- not liking the results!

Trish in SC
December 29th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Hi ya'll ~

Last night I perused the threads, reading about not combing your hair after washing, in order to encourage waves.

Well, I'm experimenting with that right now. I just wrapped my hair in a towel (briefly) after my shower, and then didn't comb it as I usually do. Right now it looks like a frizzy, stringy, mess!! Granted, it's not dry yet, but I'm not liking what I see.

I also didn't put any product in, like I would normally. I figured that if I added stuff to it, I would have to comb it through, and that would interfere with the experiment.

So...Did I misread people's thoughts on this? Was I supposed to comb it ONCE after my shower, and then not comb it again while it dries?

Help me, LHC....I'm a little confused. I hate frizz. I'm getting a headache. :( I think I better go get a cup of coffee....

mzBANGBANG
December 29th, 2011, 08:08 AM
I, too, hate my uncombed just washed hair. To me, it feels dirtier than when I comb it (is that weird?) the waves that do form (if you can call them waves, lol) basically just look like I woke up from a 12 hour hot sweat sleep. I think you're doing it right from what I've read. I kind of think this only works on really wavy/curly hair... mine is far to straight for me to pull this off and look hygienic, lol.

Hopefully a more experience member will have a better answer!

Niphredil
December 29th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Well. my hairtype is a little more wurly, but I either comb when it comes out of the towel, or not at all. I do however always detangle in the shower while it is soaking wet and/or covered with shampoo (shampoo-bar user, otherwise same with conditioner), so either way that gets done before drying.

My hair does like it, and sometimes I go several days without combing, only to detangle again in the shower during my next wash. Not combing helps with clumping, and I have less fly-aways this way. I do get tangles though, especially in wintery weather when wearing scarfs.

HTH

Gothchiq
December 29th, 2011, 08:18 AM
I agree, that technique does not agree with me either. I comb it through to get the leave in conditioner all distributed, *then* let it be while it dries.

ktani
December 29th, 2011, 08:21 AM
I "finger comb" my hair after washing on almost damp hair and then just separate and shape the waves. It works well. I use my fingers to "flutter" through my hair, stopping if need be to separate any resistance. My hair does not tangle with my routine (shampoo and catnip treatment).

UltraBella
December 29th, 2011, 08:27 AM
OP, you are brave for even trying this !!
If I didn't detangle after washing, it wouldn't take long before I would be tempted to shave my head !

Lilli
December 29th, 2011, 08:31 AM
I would comb in the shower during the conditioner, then, and just wrap it up afterwards.

What makes my hair wavier is no cones.

Trish in SC
December 29th, 2011, 08:32 AM
Well. my hairtype is a little more wurly, but I either comb when it comes out of the towel, or not at all. I do however always detangle in the shower while it is soaking wet and/or covered with shampoo (shampoo-bar user, otherwise same with conditioner), so either way that gets done before drying.

My hair does like it, and sometimes I go several days without combing, only to detangle again in the shower during my next wash. Not combing helps with clumping, and I have less fly-aways this way. I do get tangles though, especially in wintery weather when wearing scarfs.

HTH
Niphredil ~ Your hair type, then, is more wavy & thick than mine? Maybe that's the difference...

By the way, what is clumping?

Trish in SC
December 29th, 2011, 08:35 AM
If I didn't detangle after washing, it wouldn't take long before I would be tempted to shave my head !
Miss Queen of Layers ~ I'm not too brave, otherwise I would post a picture of this! :)

PS ~ I read your post about hair color, and I'm just not believing it....I will always think your real color is auburn, no matter what you say! :)

Delila
December 29th, 2011, 08:36 AM
I finger detangle with conditioner in the shower, then work product into my damp hair (just after I take off my microfiber turban) and then let it finish drying. Detangle/style once it's completely dry.

ktani
December 29th, 2011, 08:44 AM
By the way, what is clumping?

"Clumping" is when hairs "stick" together to form clumps - the correct term is capillary adhesion, See Page 2, http://journal.scconline.org/pdf/cc2005/cc056n05/p00283-p00295.pdf

Callque
December 29th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Have you looked into the Curly Girl Method? It made my hair a LOT more curly and less frizzy.

I only comb my hair once in the shower and then I put in leave-in conditioner and scrunch in curl cream and gel. If I don't put any product in my hair it is frizzy too.

teela1978
December 29th, 2011, 08:51 AM
I think it might be an issue of length than anything else. If your hair isn't very wavy, you're probably just getting random flips at shoulder length (where you appear to be in photos). At waist-ish I often just detangle well in the shower and then don't touch it again until its dry. Its smoother and straighter if I comb after toweling it off a bit, but its not really necessary (ends up with bun waves soon enough anyway :))

Trish in SC
December 29th, 2011, 08:54 AM
I, too, hate my uncombed just washed hair. To me, it feels dirtier than when I comb it (is that weird?) the waves that do form (if you can call them waves, lol) basically just look like I woke up from a 12 hour hot sweat sleep. I think you're doing it right from what I've read. I kind of think this only works on really wavy/curly hair... mine is far to straight for me to pull this off and look hygienic, lol.

Hopefully a more experience member will have a better answer!
MzBangBang ~ Yeah, you're right, it's looks like I've slept on it for a week. But I must say, it is drying more wavy than usual. I guess I'll just have to wait a little longer to see the end results. Patience is a virtue, right?

Trish in SC
December 29th, 2011, 08:59 AM
I finger detangle with conditioner in the shower, then work product into my damp hair (just after I take off my microfiber turban) and then let it finish drying. Detangle/style once it's completely dry.
Delila ~ What leave-in product do you use?

Is your hair kinda' like mine?

Trish in SC
December 29th, 2011, 09:01 AM
Thanks, Katani, for the definition. I think my hair is actually clumping now as it dries. The waves are forming "groups."

Trish in SC
December 29th, 2011, 09:04 AM
Teela,

Well, it's looking more wavy than usual right now, so maybe I'll get more waves after all. With more frizz, of course!

PS ~ Your hair looks great in the profile picture. So long & shiney!

Trish in SC
December 29th, 2011, 09:09 AM
Calique, I've heard of it, but haven't tried the Curly Girl method. Maybe sometime in the future. I'm glad it's working for you! Your hair looks good!

Niphredil
December 29th, 2011, 09:10 AM

I used to think the same about my own hair. But at some point (I think CG experiments) I just didn't and my hair didn't look and feel worse, but better even :)

ktani
December 29th, 2011, 09:13 AM
Thanks, Katani, for the definition. I think my hair is actually clumping now as it dries. The waves are forming "groups."

You are very welcome.

That sounds like clumping to me, lol. It is about what is on the hair that can cause it.

holothuroidea
December 29th, 2011, 09:15 AM
I used to be able to get away with just finger detangling but as my hair gets a little longer I find that I really need a comb/brush. I do it in the shower when my hair is full of conditioner. It does still look a little "stringy" I think because my hair is so fine the clumps are very narrow and just look like strings. But when I brush it out it does kill the waves.

I've noticed that even though it starts out looking stringy it gets better throughout the day. Maybe just give it a chance to break up on it's own instead of brushing it?

Darkessa
December 29th, 2011, 09:20 AM
I can actually go either way with this one when it comes to style. It looks fine either way.
I didnt comb for a while, but then started putting oil and leave in conditioners in my hair which forced me to comb them through.
My hair feels SO much better with the products im using, so Im not gonna stop combing em in! :D

Delila
December 29th, 2011, 09:27 AM
Delila ~ What leave-in product do you use?

Is your hair kinda' like mine?

My hair's definitely fine, not M at all, though I do have a very few strands that might qualify. :)

As for waves, if I blowdry, my hair goes flat and swoopy, just weird and not-good.

I didn't REALLY figure this out until I started growing out my hair. Part of me is curious to have short hair again some day just to see how my hair behaves without blowdrying. (No way am I ever having bangs again, ugh, no way!)

Product-wise, I'm using the George Michael / Madora (http://enchantress.com/ProductsGM.html) line. Today I used some InStar styling spray by accident, since I picked up the wrong bottle, :rolleyes: followed by the detangler spray and some Frizz Away and hair shine. Basically, hair spray, detangler spray and serum. Hair doesn't seem TOO unhappy about it, but I was a tad annoyed that I'd picked up the wrong bottle first, LOL!

Callque
December 29th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Calique, I've heard of it, but haven't tried the Curly Girl method. Maybe sometime in the future. I'm glad it's working for you! Your hair looks good!

Thank you so much! :D My hair is brushed out in the pictures so it isn't nearly as curly as it normally is.

Here's a good resource for the CG Method if you want to look into it: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/

spidermom
December 29th, 2011, 12:54 PM
I comb conditioner through in the shower, then leave my hair alone as much as I possibly can while it dries to encourage curl and wave. To blot some of the water out, I drop the length into 2 flannel pillowcases (one inside the other) for awhile.

Trish in SC
December 29th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Well, the RESULTS ARE IN:

1. My hair is more wavy when using this method.
2. My "natural" wave pattern emerged, which was interesting. The waves became more uniform, both horizontally and vertically, which probably resulting from clumping. Alot different from my usual poofy bush in the rear of my head.
3. Hair was very frizzy as it dried.
4. After dry, I applied coconut oil, most of the frizz subsided, and the oil seemed to soak up much better than usual.
5. I learned that I can endure looking disheveled and unkept, if even for a few hours!

Now, the next question emerges: How do I keep this wavier style (intact wave patterns) AND use a leave-in styling product at the same time? Maybe, like some of you mentioned, comb only in the shower, after I put product in? Or, I could apply the stuff lightly with my hands, and then not comb it to distribute it?

Speaking of product: I've been using Shea Moisture Curl Smoothie*, but I think I've been using it in a way that defeats it's purpose. I've been putting it on wet hair, and then combing it through, and also combing throughout the drying time. Maybe that's been straightening it instead?! Maybe I should just scrunch it in, and let it alone until hair is dry. *Is this a good product to use for waviness, or would you recommend something else?

Well, many thanks to those who commented on my little experiment. Cheers for all the LHC'ers, who shared their tidbits, ideas & information with me. Thanks.

PS ~ I did take some photos during the ordeal, but have to figure out my new camera before I post them. Stay tuned for an upcoming album -- it should provide a good laugh! :-}

Trish in SC
December 29th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Spidermom ~ Do you get frizz when drying this way?

ClassicalBlonde
December 29th, 2011, 07:29 PM
My hair looks like a bird's nest if I don't comb it after washing!

KwaveT
December 29th, 2011, 08:37 PM
I may have to change what I do as it get longer. I only fingercomb after CO my hair. I stopped using the comb because I noticed that I was getting a large number of sheds. I handle my hair less now while it is wet. I save the detangling for the morning. I don't have to worry about waves. Next morning after shower, my hair is extremely wavy. If anything, I comb and brush my hair to reduce the waviness so that it will lay the way I want it to.

Kelikea
December 29th, 2011, 08:49 PM
I don't comb my hair at all when wet--even in the shower with conditioner--it just pulls my hair out like crazy and tangles. I wash and condition, squeeze out excess water, put in a leave-in of choice(whatever today's choice is--it varies, or nothing) then plop in a microfiber towel. When the towel feels too wet, you can take it out and redo it with a dry towel or move it around to a drier spot. Take out of towel, Detangle ever so gently with wide tooth comb, spritz with water or whatever moisture spray you like and scrunch. If not totally dry, a diffuser on cool setting helps.

SoulOfTheSea
December 29th, 2011, 09:12 PM
I never comb my hair after I come out of the shower, it ruins my wave pattern. I like to comb and BBB my hair thoroughly before I shower, which prevents any tangles from even forming. Try this, maybe it will work better for you! :)

trilobite
December 29th, 2011, 09:18 PM
I agree with Soul of the Sea, comb before and don't comb after, I get nice ringlets that I didn't even know I had. Also, it holds an updo better.

jojo
December 30th, 2011, 06:46 AM
I detangle mine as its rinsing, the water helps unravel the knots for me, then I just pat my hair a bit and leave it to dry. Any knots I have when wet, magically drop out once its dried. My hair does look very clumpy/stringy but I just ignore it until it dries,

jacqueline101
December 30th, 2011, 07:04 AM
I do wish you well on this. If I didn't comb or detangle I'd have knots every where. I have to use a detangler.

jaine
December 30th, 2011, 08:09 AM
Now, the next question emerges: How do I keep this wavier style (intact wave patterns) AND use a leave-in styling product at the same time?

Bring your hair products into the shower with you. At the end of the shower when your hair is wet, comb as much product through your hair as much as you like ... then scrunch handfuls of water into your hair to reform the clumps.

It's called the Super Soaker method...here's a video tutorial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5PpS7vj1Ho

Trish in SC
December 30th, 2011, 06:04 PM
Bring your hair products into the shower with you. At the end of the shower when your hair is wet, comb as much product through your hair as much as you like ... then scrunch handfuls of water into your hair to reform the clumps.

It's called the Super Soaker method...here's a video tutorial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5PpS7vj1Ho
Jaine - Thanks, that method is interesting. I will try it, hoping it works for "just" wavy hair as opposed to curly locks.

What do you think would be a good gel to hold the clumps? I'm just realizing (light bulb moment) that I don't have a product for this. What do you use?

jaine
December 30th, 2011, 06:09 PM
Jaine - Thanks, that method is interesting. I will try it, hoping it works for "just" wavy hair as opposed to curly locks.

What do you think would be a good gel to hold the clumps? I'm just realizing (light bulb moment) that I don't have a product for this. What do you use?

Any clear, hard-hold gel should work. I read that a lot of people get good results with LA Looks gel - and that should be easy to find at drugstores.

I use Max Green Alchemy gel (http://www.maxgreenalchemy.com/item--Scalp-Rescue-Styling-Gel--MGAGEL.html) (but I have sensitive skin which prevents me from using most drugstore products)

phabieau
December 31st, 2011, 02:58 PM
I have one friend who never combs her hair. Her hair is probably APL with shorter layers and I love playing with it. It's surprisingly not very tangly, but it does like to stick out a lot. It's hard to explain but I can't imagine what it would be like if she combed it.

I've stopped combing my hair until it's nearly dry and I only use a wide toothed comb. Over the last few months this has really minimized damage.

ItsMyHair
December 31st, 2011, 03:16 PM
My hair is wurly to slightly curly. I don't comb at all or finger comb ever. I only scrunch. I scrunch in water, I scrunch in conditioner. I scrunch out water. I scrunch until damp. I scrunch in Shea Moisture Curl & Style Milk. I scrunch again with a towel. Then I scrunch in Jessicurl Awe Inspiraling Spray. Then I leave it be. Yes, it's a lot of scrunching.

Egana
December 31st, 2011, 04:33 PM
I like the feeling of combing my hair - but it looks soooooo much better when I don't comb it. I have decided that I will comb it before I wash it, so that I can get the feeling without living with the results. *grin*

My curls look much more defined if I allow them to clump together after washing (CO only) so any pleasure combing I do has to be before or during washing. I should probably only comb during washing, but I would miss it - I'm very tactile, and I enjoy combing my hair out.

Diamond.Eyes
December 31st, 2011, 04:56 PM
My hair has the tendency to twist around itself when I don't brush it. I would imagine that hair would become matted over time if you never brushed it. :bigeyes:

julliams
December 31st, 2011, 05:46 PM
You can detangle in the shower with the conditioner in. Then rinse and put it up in your towel. In my experience, it's not going to get tangled just by being up in the towel - but then that's my experience with my hair. If your's is tangly then you might have to comb through after the towel comes off. No matter - just scrunch in the waves as you did before and maybe use a leave-in to combat frizz if you are worried. Plain old clear gel works fine for me.

You are saying it's not quite dry yet - that's exactly how mine is. In fact it looks pretty terrible until it's totally dry. You just have to keep those hands out of there - don't touch!!!

ETA - oops - just read the thread through and noticed that you sorted it all out.

SoulOfTheSea
December 31st, 2011, 07:27 PM
Also, you could always comb out some braid waves like I have done in my siggy picture. That always comes out nice. :flower:

Kaelee
December 31st, 2011, 09:14 PM
I tried a fingercombing experiment a couple weeks ago and I wasn't thrilled with that either. My hair didn't feel as soft and almost seemed damaged. :( I went back to combing.

I frequently let it dry without combing though, I do comb before I go to bed and when I get up in the morning.

Centaur
January 1st, 2012, 12:29 AM
I try not combing, and then halfway through the work day I can't stand it anymore and end up doing an overly thorough finger combing.

woolyleprechaun
January 1st, 2012, 02:15 AM
I dont get great results either:o. he only way I can get it to work is to comb through conditioner in the shower, rinse it off, squeeze the excess water out and let it drip dry on a towel on my shoulders. The theory I have is that I try not to disturb it too much after its conditioner combing, if that makes any sense at all (I doubt it):confused:

XcaliburGirl
January 1st, 2012, 06:54 AM
When I've tried this, I find that my problem is that the hair comes out of the towel turban looking bad. It's clumped, but it's "bumpy" in that it's not clumped smoothly and several strands bulge out from group. Also, the top of my head is all messy and the clumps form across my part so that I have to mess them up to get a straight part.

Do I just need practice? Is it the way I am putting it in the towel turban that's the problem? I'm not sure how else to get rid of the excess water.

(disclosure: my hair is currently too short to have this problem, but I want to have a plan for when it is at towel turban length again.)