PDA

View Full Version : Vitamin E capsules on hair?

naturegirl321
December 29th, 2011, 05:34 AM
I know there's vitamin E oil, and I remember using the insides of the capsules on cuts and bruises as a kids. So could you use the capsules on hair?

auburntressed
December 29th, 2011, 05:48 AM
I'm sure you could, but why would you want to? It would be a lot of work! Plus, the vitamin E oil you can get in the vitamin section is the same thing as what is found on the inside of the capsules.

In any case, most of the other oils that are mentioned here are so rich in vitamin E that using them would be just as nourishing as using processed vitamin E oil or capsules (I think).

Aredhel77
December 29th, 2011, 06:00 AM
I agree with what auberntressed said above - plenty of oils have high vit E content. Are you just looking to use up some capsules then?

I actually bought some 'pure' Vitamin E oil once to apply to my skin as I had very bad eczema. I think it might have been 'synthesized' vitamin E - I'm not sure of the 'source.' But, I remember it was a very thick clear and STICKY liquid which was extremely difficult to spread. So although it might not do your hair any harm, if it's a similar consistency it might be difficult to apply.

You could of course mix a capsule in some conditioner and apply it that way. That's probably how I would 'get round it,' if I was going to try :lol: Or I'd mix it in a face cream and apply it to my face (have done that before).

ktani
December 29th, 2011, 06:06 AM
I tried adding a Vitamin E capsule to one of my herbal teas, when experimenting before catnip. It is thick and sticky and did not work well.

naturegirl321
December 29th, 2011, 06:10 AM
yes, just looking to use up capsules. I bought the smallest jar 60 capsules to use on a scratch my dog gave me. It's erally not that hard to get out the oil. Just prick it with a pin. It's sticky though.

I'll try adding it to a conditioner. that's a good idea.

ktani
December 29th, 2011, 06:11 AM
yes, just looking to use up capsules. I bought the smallest jar 60 capsules to use on a scratch my dog gave me. It's erally not that hard to get out the oil. Just prick it with a pin. It's sticky though.

You can try using them on cleaned cuts and scrapes to aid healing.

Kat
December 29th, 2011, 06:20 AM
I have a bottle of the liquid. Mine is yellow and no thicker than any other oil. I use it on my hair sometimes just to use it up (I bought it for my face when I wrecked my car and had a gash on my face that I was hoping to keep from scarring too badly. I used MAYBE about an 8th of the bottle then so I have a lot to go through!).

rock007junkie
December 29th, 2011, 06:44 AM
I have a small bottle of it. It is very thick to be used on its own. But this is how I've used it:
-A couple of drops on my mister bottle
-A drop or two along with whatever oil I use to oil my hair and scalp.
-Diluted with another oil to use on my face.

ktani
December 29th, 2011, 07:01 AM
There are different strengths of Vitamin E oil. It may work well diluted with conditioner for example, as conditioners contain emusifying waxes.

Chetanlaiho
December 29th, 2011, 07:21 AM
DBF does this on his chin (he'd like more facial hair xD) and I've been wondering about how effective it would be. I'll tell him about the other oils with vitamin E, I think it might be more useful (I offered to use my castor oil mix on him too xD).

Aredhel77
December 29th, 2011, 07:30 AM
There are different strengths of Vitamin E oil. It may work well diluted with conditioner for example, as conditioners contain emusifying waxes.

I agree - also, if I was to do this, I would only ever 'make up/mix' the amount I was going to use at the time, rather than adding a load of Vit E to a bottle of conditioner - adulterating the conditioner formula too much and risking it spoiling quicker (it might not, probably many conditioners are loaded with preservative etc, but why risk it?) :cool:

ktani
December 29th, 2011, 07:43 AM
I agree - also, if I was to do this, I would only ever 'make up/mix' the amount I was going to use at the time, rather than adding a load of Vit E to a bottle of conditioner - adulterating the conditioner formula too much and risking it spoiling quicker (it might not, probably many conditioners are loaded with preservative etc, but why risk it?) :cool:

Vitamin E can be used to supplement a preservative system, not replace it but in principle, I agree.

Amber_Maiden
December 29th, 2011, 11:03 AM
I would find it way too sticky and tacky on my own hair.

ClassicalBlonde
December 29th, 2011, 07:34 PM
I make my own formula for when it is just too dry and unmanageable, and it includes a lot of vitamin E oil. To make it useable, I combine the vitamin E and water with an emulsifier, which makes it into a great cream and the oil loses all of its stickiness. My hair loves it!

gogirlanime
December 29th, 2011, 07:44 PM
You can buy vitamin E oil out of the capsule it's usually stronger than supplement oil. I put it in my night time oil treatment. I get mine from GNC, usually goes for $14

Mearwynna
December 29th, 2011, 08:23 PM
It would probably be very nice for your scalp, not so much your hair. I often use a bit of vit e under my eyes to plump up wrinkles. I use it on eye lashes, too.