PDA

View Full Version : Knitting needles as hair sticks?

Jessibear2854
December 28th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Hey everyone! I went to the fabric store to buy yarn for my crochet project today and found a great deal on double-point knitting needles. I'm a dork and have been wearing my crochet hooks (plastic) as hair sticks for a while but I need them to crochet with. So, these knitting needles are obviously metal and have some kind of silver paint on them. What do y'all think? Should they be safe for my hair? Just want to make sure I'm not making a big mistake! I'm especially curious since I'm a henna head and the henna always says not to mix with metal utensils, etc.

Jean Stuart
December 28th, 2011, 05:11 PM
I have no idea about the henna but they should be fine for buns and such.

Olafwa
December 28th, 2011, 05:19 PM
I always use my crochet hooks when I'm too lazy to find any hair sticks. I haven't henna-ed my hair before, so I can't help you there. If they are rounded and slightly pointy at one end they should work great. Though, you should find out about that henna business. Wouldn't want to ruin that gorgeous color! ^.^

hippiechick1976
December 28th, 2011, 05:22 PM
I use the thin ones bent into a U for buns and such. Never an issue but I don't henna either

katsrevenge
December 28th, 2011, 06:08 PM
I henna and have no problem with the bent needles as hairsticks.

I think it's more that some of the chemicals that are in bad henna pastes dislike metal? I know I stir my henna mixes half the time with metal spoons!

WinterTree
December 28th, 2011, 07:57 PM
I use henna as well and don't think it will be a problem. As long as you used BAQ henna with no chemicals in it. I use metal when mixing my henna and haven't had any issues either.

sun-kissed
December 28th, 2011, 09:27 PM
I know nothing useful about the henna, but be careful what type of paint the needles have on them if you are at all sensitive to metals in general. I had to get rid of $$$ worth of knitting needles because they had painful reactions with my skin.

I do use my wooden DPNs as hairsticks all the time, they're my go-to for casual or showers. :p

renee2day
December 28th, 2011, 10:11 PM
I use wooden double pointed knitting needles as hair sticks often. They look nicer than the metal ones and if they are smooth enough for knitting they will be perfect for hair. There is an expensive set of rosewood knitting needles I've been wanting just cause they are pretty but they only had them in one gauge and I didn't have a specific knitting project for that size needle but now I'm thinking they could be used as hair sticks and I don't have to feel guilty about not having a knitting project to use them on.