PDA

View Full Version : Cuticle Cream...for Hair

Lightningfury
December 28th, 2011, 12:23 PM
This might need to go on the product review page but I wanted to post it here cause seriously cuticle cream?

I got this Burt's Bees Lemon Butter Cuticle Cream for a co-worker for Christmas. As I usually do I started perusing the ingredients list. In order:

sweet almond oil, beeswax, lemon peel oil, cocoa seed butter, candelilla wax, tocopherol, sunflower seed oil, rosemary leaf extract, soybean oil, beta-carotene, canola oil, vegatable oil

Obviously there's not a lot of this product but would it hurt anything to smooth it over my ends?

Any other uses people can think of?

I did go ahead and smooth it over the tuft at the end of my twin braids. I smell a lot like lemon's now and it's very shiny and smooth now.

ravenreed
December 28th, 2011, 12:25 PM
I love that stuff but I would be cautious about using it on my hair too often. The beeswax would cause me major buildup. It's one of those things that you can only find out by trying, I think.

girlcat36
December 28th, 2011, 01:06 PM
I would be concerned about both the beeswax and the lemon peel oil.

Lightningfury
December 28th, 2011, 01:17 PM
note: gathers dust and the tuft is very stiff

LaceyNg
December 28th, 2011, 01:19 PM
hmmm, shame it make sthe hair stiff :/

all those oils make it seem like itd be great for dry ends!

ravenreed
December 28th, 2011, 01:19 PM
I have trouble with any hair oils attracting every bit of lint and dust in my house. I tend to oil only before I CO my hair for that very reason.

note: gathers dust and the tuft is very stiff

Lightningfury
December 30th, 2011, 12:28 PM
I washed my hair the night I put this on my ends.
My ends do look a lot better but I also did SMT for the first time.
More information is needed but the beeswax thing does worry me. I think it's be helpful on briad days for the tufts like right before I wash for the week.

Diamond.Eyes
December 30th, 2011, 12:49 PM
The beeswax would totally cause build-up over time. But I have about 8 containers of cuticle cream that I got for Christmas from various people. I have no idea what to do with it all; my cuticles aren't that dry :laugh:. Maybe a teeny bit could be used to smooth down frizz? :hmm:

ravenreed
December 30th, 2011, 12:56 PM
I use that stuff on any extra dry areas. Places I tend to use it are elbows, ankles (mine are always dry for some reason), knees, and if my hands are extra dry I will even use it on them right before I got to sleep. :)

The beeswax would totally cause build-up over time. But I have about 8 containers of cuticle cream that I got for Christmas from various people. I have no idea what to do with it all; my cuticles aren't that dry :laugh:. Maybe a teeny bit could be used to smooth down frizz? :hmm:

Diamond.Eyes
December 30th, 2011, 01:07 PM
I use that stuff on any extra dry areas. Places I tend to use it are elbows, ankles (mine are always dry for some reason), knees, and if my hands are extra dry I will even use it on them right before I got to sleep. :)
I've been using it on my elbows as well. It's really thick and is a great moisturizer. I guess I'm just always hoping that stuff I already own can double as hair-care so I don't have to spend any more money on my hair :p.

mktmgt
December 30th, 2011, 01:22 PM
I've been using it on my elbows as well. It's really thick and is a great moisturizer. I guess I'm just always hoping that stuff I already own can double as hair-care so I don't have to spend any more money on my hair :p.
I'm the same way :lol:.

Copasetic
December 30th, 2011, 01:23 PM
I would be concerned about both the beeswax and the lemon peel oil.

Same here. Why not just find a leave-in meant for hair, or use an oil?

blondie9912
December 30th, 2011, 03:22 PM
I got this stuff in my stocking as well! Shame it won't work on my hair :shrug:

Melisande
December 31st, 2011, 02:19 AM
I use such a mixture on my ends, and never had problems with build up. It seems that again ymmv... I use it for lashes, cuticles and hair. It's a self made mixture from palm oil, coconut oil, avocado oil, bee's wax and honey.

But my hair doesn't tend to build up... it's dry and will suck up anything.