PDA

View Full Version : Have an appointment later to cut bangs... should I keep it??

monsterna
December 28th, 2011, 08:14 AM
So this afternoon I have an appointment with a trusted hairdresser to cut my bangs quite differently.

At the moment, the shortest one when stretched comes an inch or so shorter than collar bone length. This is the longest they've been since I can remember. I haven't touched them in almost a year and I'm proud of that... getting through the awkward stages was annoying and I finally got past it.

Thing is, now I'm finding it hard to deal with them. They are so flat and don't flatter my head or face shape, in my opinion. There's no volume anymore (I don't put anything in my hair or use heat... I would need to if I do cut the bangs). Here (http://imgur.com/a/Z87qk) is an imgur album of my hair in the front right now, and the last pic is my dream hair... what started me growing in the first place. But I don't even think that's achievable for me.

I'm obviously not having her touch my length, but I'm thinking about side swept tapered bangs. Something like this (http://mylittleponyhair.tumblr.com/post/11640117195). Although I wouldn't want the hair to be pulled from so far back on my head (I know that is a nightmare to grow out, personally!!).

I'm just very confused. I don't see me liking my bangs as they get longer, as they are already long now and they are annoying me. I remember being happier a couple months back and then remember one day seeing they were starting to grow and change and my styling's gone downhill since then. But I miss the volume shorter bangs gives, and I want them out of my face. At the same time, I remember hating growing bangs out and also telling myself not to cut them again! Haha. But now that I've grown them and seen the other side too, it seems I may not be happy either way.

Anyone want to offer an opinion or advice? I'd appreciate it! Thanks for reading.

UltraBella
December 28th, 2011, 08:20 AM
If you are confused, now is not the time to cut. That's when choices are made that can be a giant regret.
What about starting with a smaller bang trim, keeping them longer but blending them in to rest of your hair ? That can work miracles for shape sometimes.
All you would have to tell the stylist is that you have been growing them and you have hit an awkward point where they just hang there and you would like them to have a bit of shape and blend in better with the rest of your hair. If your stylist is talented, they will fully understand. If it turns out that it's not what makes you happy, you can still go shorter.

Kilandra
December 28th, 2011, 08:27 AM
I think your hair is very pretty! The person in the last photo looks like she has thick hair AND some product on it to make it look that way. How short are you thinking of going with your bangs?

Personally, I have thinnish/fine hair and I think that having the bangs grown out helps a little with that. I know some ladies on here that have thick hair and love having more layers or long bangs. In the end though - it's what makes you happy. But you may want to consider why you initially told yourself not to cut your bangs again :)

deltadeliquent
December 28th, 2011, 08:34 AM
A wise man once told me:
Never trade what you want for what you want at the moment.

I've had bangs since I was 16 and I cannot for the life of me grow them out. It's a god thing thy look good on me...
I envy you your persistence.

embee
December 28th, 2011, 08:42 AM
I agree with UltraBella, confusion is not a good space to make a decision from. Perhaps your trusted stylist could help you figure out what you can do without cutting off what you've grown out through all those awkward stages.

Last time I was confused and unhappy with my hair I chopped off some of the length, thinking it would look better and have thicker ends. Big Mistake. Oh, the ends looked thicker but all my updo styles failed and I was in a mess for many months.

monsterna
December 28th, 2011, 08:52 AM
If you are confused, now is not the time to cut. That's when choices are made that can be a giant regret.
What about starting with a smaller bang trim, keeping them longer but blending them in to rest of your hair ? That can work miracles for shape sometimes.
All you would have to tell the stylist is that you have been growing them and you have hit an awkward point where they just hang there and you would like them to have a bit of shape and blend in better with the rest of your hair. If your stylist is talented, they will fully understand. If it turns out that it's not what makes you happy, you can still go shorter.

That's true. I should start with a little trim and go from there.

I saw your thread with your true hair color and it looks great. I noticed the style you had it in, a little poof, and I have never been able to achieve anything like that. My hair has a strong part in the front and doesn't smoothly comb down and look good. If I manage it, it's much too flat to look good by then. You pull it off effortlessly it seems. :)

That's another problem I have. My head is flat in the front and pointy at the back. So to not have volume in the front is not a good look for me. My bangs lie flat as it is and look terrible. But I'll perhaps try what you said, to have her blend them some first and see how I like that, then she can cut more if need be.

monsterna
December 28th, 2011, 08:55 AM
I think your hair is very pretty! The person in the last photo looks like she has thick hair AND some product on it to make it look that way. How short are you thinking of going with your bangs?

Thank you. The pic I linked to is sort of what I'm thinking, but that's quite a jump from where I'm at, and not knowing if I'll like it or not! I'm confused and don't know which length I want, much less how I want to explain my wants to a stylist. I just want it out of my face in the front.

Kaelee
December 28th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Wow, your hair is GORGEOUS now!

You can always pin your current bangs back with bobby pins, they also look long enough to go into a ponytail.

Seriously, your hair is beautiful and despite what you think, it does flatter your face. :)

monsterna
December 28th, 2011, 09:19 AM

You can always pin your current bangs back with bobby pins, they also look long enough to go into a ponytail.

Seriously, your hair is beautiful and despite what you think, it does flatter your face. :)

Aw, thank you. :)

I wish it looked decent pinned back, but I can never make even those very simple styles look good. My head is pointy at top and flat in the front, so I have to do a lot of pushing and prodding to get it to look halfway decent. By the time I'm done, it's just been a hassle and will fall apart easily. Damn genetics!

patienceneeded
December 28th, 2011, 10:14 AM
I agree with the pps, don't get bangs cut unless you really want them. I DID just get bangs cut into my hair after 2 years without, but I was certain I wanted them. http://www.forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7178&pictureid=121689I love my bangs, I feel it softens up my look, especially when I wear my hair up. I think you would look great with or without, but you should really want them as it takes lots of time an patience to grow them out again if you find you regret cutting.

Amber_Maiden
December 28th, 2011, 10:16 AM

I agree!!! :D

coffinhert
December 28th, 2011, 10:17 AM
How would you feel if your hair was all one length and your didn't have bangs at all, they just blended in with the rest of your up-do?

monsterna
December 28th, 2011, 10:48 AM
I agree with the pps, don't get bangs cut unless you really want them. I DID just get bangs cut into my hair after 2 years without, but I was certain I wanted them. http://www.forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7178&pictureid=121689I love my bangs, I feel it softens up my look, especially when I wear my hair up. I think you would look great with or without, but you should really want them as it takes lots of time an patience to grow them out again if you find you regret cutting.

They look good on you. I know I really want something to change, but not sure about how the bangs will go....

I agree!!! :D

Thank you!

monsterna
December 28th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Bumping this in case anyone else had an opinion. =) The appointment's in a couple hours! I'm nervous....

monsterna
December 28th, 2011, 02:31 PM
How would you feel if your hair was all one length and your didn't have bangs at all, they just blended in with the rest of your up-do?

I missed this one! I don't like the idea of having all one length, and I wear my hair down 95% of the time, so yeah.

heidi w.
December 28th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Monsterna, for me it's hard to advise you. 1. Chances are that later this afternoon already occurred. 2. To me, hair is a frame of sorts for the face, and your photo doesn't allow me to see your face, such as the bone structure (such as whether you have a lot of chin or not, or high cheekbones, or whatever). 3. Bangs to me is about how it will look with the rest of your features.

I tend to be against bangs, especially if you want longer lengths. I'm against bangs because to me they represent little girl hair and I'm no longer a little girl.

I also don't expect my hair to behave other than what it is: stick straight somewhat heavy hair, somewhat thick kind of. Bangs for me would represent a huge upkeep: they grow fast, need trimming often, is more in my face than longer lengths are, and I would need to thin my bangs for it to look okay.

Your hair has some body, but it's still somewhat on the straight spectrum. That's the hair you have. Asking it to be other than what it is can produce huge headaches and problems.

Keep in mind if you want longer lengths, the way to get there is simply to not cut your hair. You can't have both, cutting and long hair. It's kind of diametrically opposed. IF you might change your mind, why spend the time on a do-over? Bangs grown out and in the way a bit, is simply a phase. It's not the whole thing.

Long hair is about a waiting game. I have this hair after 20 years of patience. It simply takes time. There's no way around it.

Ok, end of my diatribe. I'm sure you made a fine decision for your reasons. I hope you're happy with your decision.

heidi w.

monsterna
December 28th, 2011, 02:44 PM
heidi,

I haven't decided yet. I have those pics blocked out since the forum is public, but I have photos of my face in my profile if you'd like to look.

allnight avenue
December 28th, 2011, 02:54 PM
I looked at your pictures to see your face shape..... Don't cut the bangs! I mean, they'll definitely look nice, but you don't need them!

If they won't go straight back the way you want, pin them to the side!

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1da25b3127ccefc9c86925a7200000030O01AZMm7li2asw e3nw0/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

In the picture she has both sides pinned back, but you can just do one. Or braid them back, or twist them back. Think of them as endless fun instead of a problem! :flower:

monsterna
December 28th, 2011, 03:12 PM
I looked at your pictures to see your face shape..... Don't cut the bangs! I mean, they'll definitely look nice, but you don't need them!

If they won't go straight back the way you want, pin them to the side!

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1da25b3127ccefc9c86925a7200000030O01AZMm7li2asw e3nw0/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

In the picture she has both sides pinned back, but you can just do one. Or braid them back, or twist them back. Think of them as endless fun instead of a problem! :flower:

Sigh. Well I canceled the appointment today. I'll make another one when I'm sure. Listening to my gut and just holding off for now.

Hopefully I can learn how to style them better. Thank you for the advice. :flower:

UltraBella
December 28th, 2011, 10:32 PM
That's true. I should start with a little trim and go from there.

I saw your thread with your true hair color and it looks great. I noticed the style you had it in, a little poof, and I have never been able to achieve anything like that. My hair has a strong part in the front and doesn't smoothly comb down and look good. If I manage it, it's much too flat to look good by then. You pull it off effortlessly it seems. :)

That's another problem I have. My head is flat in the front and pointy at the back. So to not have volume in the front is not a good look for me. My bangs lie flat as it is and look terrible. But I'll perhaps try what you said, to have her blend them some first and see how I like that, then she can cut more if need be.

My little poof has a trick ;)
Since I am growing out my bangs, I take a quite small jaw clip, the little ones that are under an inch wide, and use it to secure my bangs back. I section off my bang area, twist the hair one full time, and clip with the jaw clip. The twist gives the volume and makes it lay in a pretty way. I twist both directions and see which one will look best, it varies from day to day. I tend to twist to the right and back usually. If I don't have enough poof, I just barely open the jaw clip and scoot the section forward.
Maybe you could experiment with it and get it to work for you ? :)

shikara
December 28th, 2011, 10:44 PM
All I can say is that I am a HUGE fan of bangs with long hair. They can add volume, complimenr your facial feafures, be styled in diffeent ways so easily, and can project different images you may want to express!

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/th_a5642814.jpg (http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/?action=view&current=a5642814.jpg)

GlennaGirl
December 28th, 2011, 10:47 PM
What about parted face framing layers, maybe between chin and earlobe length?