PDA

View Full Version : 2011 - 2012 Hair!

MonaLisa
December 28th, 2011, 03:40 AM
What was the best thing that happened/you did to your hair in 2011?
What was the worst?

What's your goal for 2012?

For me:

Best - Finding and joining TLHC
Worst - Autumn shed

2012 goal - Get past TBL and keep/gain thickness!

auburntressed
December 28th, 2011, 03:46 AM
Best - started experimenting with oils (olive oil, almond oil, jojoba oil... love them!)
Worst - Too much length trimmed off the ends.

2012 goal: Reach tailbone and thicken up the hemline.

Catlover
December 28th, 2011, 03:54 AM
Best - found LHC and joined - started using various oils - think they are great. Care for my hair like a baby

Worst - you will shoot me - decided to grow out henna as my grey is so grey the henna was going orange - then decided to go back to commercial dyes - my hair is now dark brown - and I care and pamper it even more. yes i did wait two weeks before going chemical - actually it was closer to 3/4 inch of root growth.

woolyleprechaun
December 28th, 2011, 03:58 AM
Best-discovering LHC and how to treat my hair
Worst-post-natal hair shed:wail::wail:

WyrdWay
December 28th, 2011, 03:59 AM
best- Henna and indigo :D
worst- too much heat styling! >_<

2012 goal

Full waist length with my curls stretched and APL curly. Though I am hoping for more hang time as I gain length!

kaiakai
December 28th, 2011, 04:03 AM

Got hooked on HENNA!!!!

What was the worst?

I can't really think of anything. I had one trim that wasn't the best, but besides that, it's been a really good year fro my hair.

Maintain/increase my length, shine, overall health. Learn more hairdos.

eshta
December 28th, 2011, 04:08 AM
Best - Joined the no trimming in 2011 challenge, I finally made some real progress lengthwise and am no longer tempted to trim when I'm bored.

Worst - I needed to attend a funeral when I just dyed my hair dark pink / purple with deposit only dye. I think I washed my hair with clarifying shampoo close to 15 times in 2 days to strip the color to a more natural shade. My hair was seriously dried out after that.

My hair goal for 2012 is reaching hip and slowly trim to create a more blunt hemline.

Mina17
December 28th, 2011, 04:09 AM
Best: camellia oil and cassia
grew out layers from a bad haircut

Worst: Shedding from CO

2012 goal: now that I'm done trimming to get rid of layers, I want to gain some serious length!

Loreley
December 28th, 2011, 04:26 AM
Best: Finally I found good leave-ins.
Worst: While experimenting with different products I came across some really bad shampoos which made my hair very dry.
2012 goal: Reaching 50" in spring then maintain my length with monthly trims.

monichella
December 28th, 2011, 04:29 AM
the best thing I did in 2011 is get out of layering
the worst is to stop take supplement fot my hair

I hope 2012 will take me thickness and 85 cm length! :cheese:

Qadupae
December 28th, 2011, 04:36 AM
2011 Best: Buzzing my hair down to 1 inch to grow my hair out naturally
2011 Worst: ^ same, I am now stuck at 1 inch due to low self esteem with the growing process >_<

2012 Goal: To start growing again, probably with the help of snoods ^_^

Mayflower
December 28th, 2011, 04:57 AM
Best: finally found some good henna and indigo!
Worst: no idea. Maybe a little backcombing when I wore my hair curly.
2012 goal: gaining some thickness by growing out layers, and hopefully reaching hip.

Catlover
December 28th, 2011, 05:25 AM
Oops forgot to enclose my 2012 goal
guess it would be to keep pampering my hair and grow to waist (also steer clear of hairdressers - now have my own hair scissors and will do S&D and dusting.

Snippety
December 28th, 2011, 05:39 AM
Best: Finding LHC :) That initial post helped me *so* much !

Worst: Still a lingering regret over the big chop of summer 2010 and being impatient with how long it's taking to come back.

2012 goal: I'm almost at classic again now, so I want to just keep growing and hope I gain loads of length. I'm sticking to my twice yearly tiny trim, and benign neglect :)

GeoJ
December 28th, 2011, 05:42 AM
Best: Discovering that I can use CV bars, as long as I do my entire wash process with miracle water.

Worst: Major shedding causing me to cut off a lot of length.

2012 Goals: Funny, several years ago I made a goal of knee length hair with a nice hemline for 2012...I would have made it if the shedding didn't happen. Now, my only 2012 goal is to thicken my length while I hang around in the tailbone region.

Lucky
December 28th, 2011, 06:00 AM
Best: finding out about using coconut and argan oil under boxed hair dye, I have now found a way to deal with my greys without trashing my hair!

Worst: it's a tie between getting highlights (that trashed my hair) and getting my hair cut (ending up with a short, layered "Rachel" haircut instead of a bob).

In 2012 I'd like to start doing some small trims to help even up my hemline and my layers. Maybe make it to (or get very near) APL, but I think growing out my layers will keep me busy most of the year!

Good luck to everyone with their 2012 goals!

bluequeequeg
December 28th, 2011, 07:05 AM
Best of 2011: Discovering LHC, being able to do new updos, hearing about spin pins, SMTs, etc.

Worst of 2011: Highlighting my hair in May, henna'ing to cover the highlights and condition (hair grows too fast and my hair is naturally too ashy so it looks like I'm gray when it grows out; also the highlights are proving impossible to cover).

Goals: Resist the ever present urge to chop to a bob, darken the highlights, use less heat (thinking of doing all updos in January, with maybe four days grace having it down).

Bri925
December 28th, 2011, 07:09 AM
Best is beginning my "rituals" with my supplements, oils, and etc.
Worst cutting my bangs! Booooo

Bobette
December 28th, 2011, 07:09 AM
What was the best thing that happened/you did to your hair in 2011? Found LHC. Seriously.
What was the worst? I bleached my hair way too many times and ended up with gummy hair.

What's your goal for 2012? Go from Shoulder length to APL by August, BSL by Christmas 2012.

Gothchiq
December 28th, 2011, 07:11 AM
Best: LHC.
Worst: perming my hair straight. DUHHH what was I thinking?
Goal: maintain length, grow out and cut off the permed part.

Kelikea
December 28th, 2011, 07:16 AM
Best: Realizing that I don't have to use shampoo. This solved a lot of problems I was having for years with my scalp.
Worst: My hair doesn't grow much. I think I've gained 3/4inch this year. It is stressful for me to know that everyone else around me is growing and I'm not :( HB said the growth is slowing down cause I'm getting older and its close to terminal.
2012 Goal: To love what I have? I don't really have control over my growth rate, so I can't really make a growth goal, but I'd like to make it past TB.

Kilandra
December 28th, 2011, 07:27 AM
Found THC, Stopped shampooing everyday, Stopped chemical dyes, Bought wooden combs, Put away my blowfryer, Coconut oil!

What was the worst?
Having to do a major chop to get rid of damaged hair, then hightlighting that and ignorantly letting a stylist put massive layers in my hair until August when I found THC. I still had to do another recent chop into a straight chin line bob to try and get out the enormous amount of layers :(

Do micro trims to get out the remaining 1 inch of layers and chemical damage (thank God that's all that's left!), pamper hair with more oil treatments, see what my natural color really looks like, GROW GROW GROW! If I can make it past collarbone this time next year, I'll be a happy camper!

gothicchick
December 28th, 2011, 07:38 AM
What was the worst?

For me:

Best - Finding and joining TLHC
Worst - Autumn shed

2012 goal - Get past TBL and keep/gain thickness!

hm, for me the best thing was caring for my hair better and using oils

the worst was agreeing to bleach back in the year

my goal for 2012 is waist lenght (3 or 4 more inches) with a thicker straigher hemline (possibly V shaped, as it looks pretty^^)

naturegirl321
December 28th, 2011, 08:40 AM
Best: No trims

Worst: hair is coming out in clumps thanks to post partum and not wearing my hair up.

Goals: Start buying expensive oils. I've got jojoba, meadowfoam is on my list and it's more expensive than jojoba. I'm going to get some panacea as well. And no trims.

embee
December 28th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Best: did a year of NW/SO and it was fine! :)

Worst: don't know, everything is ok now and I didn't *do* anything strange to my hair.

Goal: keep on keeping on. Maybe buy a couple new toys. ;)

door72067
December 28th, 2011, 08:54 AM
best: joining LHC

worst: finding out that some Natural Instincts brunette colors ~will~ saturate ends with a non-removable deposit :( that just keeps getting darker and darker

edit in:

wait until at least October for a trim (it'll be 1 year since my last, if I can hold out) I am growing out natural and embracing my silver...I hope to be able to stay away from the dye

Raiscake
December 28th, 2011, 09:09 AM
Best: Joining LHC
Worst: Stylist cut off too much of my hair last June. :( Went from almost waist to APL.

Resolution for 2012: Even up my hemline, reach solid hip :D

BrightEyes
December 28th, 2011, 09:25 AM
Best: I discovered I can use Caruso rollers on my shoulder-length hair. Unfortunately I let them sit in a cupboard for months thinking my hair had to grow longer before I could use them.:rolleyes: Also, NightBlooming Panacea - it has been a miracle for my hair.

Worst: Way too much heat styling. And cutting.

2012 Goals: No more heat, grow to APL, do regular SMTs. Be more gentle with my hair on a daily basis.

whiterabbitz
December 28th, 2011, 10:09 AM
Worst - Blow drying and straightening my fine, thin hair at least every other day - ouch! Not to mention the chemical dyes.
Best - Late 2011 finding LHC, HENNA!!, and CO.
2012 goals - No trims (being a Sagittarius this is going to be difficult:confused:).

Amber_Maiden
December 28th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Best - joining TLHC, avocado oil
Worst - sheds, herbal dye

2012 goal - get to tbl, trim off as much dye as possible

Hollyfire3
December 28th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Best: finding LHC forum and stopping heat styling
Worst: Protein overload unintentionally, too much heat styling resulting in breakage and having to trim 2 inches :justy:not fun!

sarahramen
December 28th, 2011, 10:31 AM
Best: I don't know I had a really good hair year, I wore updos most of the time, made/bought some hairtoys,MADE IT TO WAIST, along with the general oiling and henna.
Worst: I asked my dad to trim my hair and he cut my underneath part up to apl! so that just sucks...
Goals: I am joining the microtrimming/ maintaining thread and will be cutting off 1/4" every month, which will hopefully thicken up the ends while still allowing me to grow to hip.

aisha.christine
December 28th, 2011, 10:43 AM
Best: Joining LHC :D
Worst: Dying my hair black. UGH :doh: Why did I do that!?
Goal for 2012: Cut out all the dye damage. It's finally all below my ears. Yay. :)

Shesta
December 28th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Best: I didn't cut my hair to a bob when I got the rush this spring.
Worst: stress-related shed
Goal for 2012: To achieve maximum growth -> no trimming next year. I hope this will result in at least tailbone length

pepperminttea
December 28th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Best: No trims for 2011. So much growth! And being kind to my ends, they're actually still okay. :)

Worst: Swimming. But I won't stop, it's the only form of exercise I enjoy. Heavy oilings have helped, but when I wash my hair without swimming first there is a very noticeable difference.

2012: I'd like to get to TB, and I'd also love for my braid to get long enough for a fake crown braid (it's three quarters of the way there without counting the tassel right now). I think that last one is probably not going to happen until 2013, but reaching TB would be great anyway. :D

Lapin
December 28th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Best:
-Rejoining TLHC, like so many other people said! Stalking pictures of members with long pretty hair has helped me resist chopping my hair off!
-Highlights, a coppery red against my dark hair - yes, there was some damage, but I otherwise pamper my hair and the highlights help me from looking washed-out.
-Not dying my hair, or using henna. My hair is too dark for henna to impact. Plus, red hair is just not flattering on me though I will always have lusty feelings for beautiful red hair.

Worst: Realizing my allergies impact my hair. Realizing how sparse my hair is in places. Frizz that won't die. Having crappy hair all year long that is an awkward length and a difficult sort of wurly.

Resolution: Get past my shoulders! :knuckle:
How have I been shoulder-ish for this long?!
me to my hair::horse:

Chamy
December 28th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Best of 2011 was that I reached waist, worst was that I sort of got tired of my hair, but i'm slowly getting back to liking it again.

My goal for 2012 is reaching hip with trims. And if I reach it before the end of the year, I will start trimming back hard again to gain thickness, and keep it there for a year so that all my hairs will catch up with the hem.

jacqueline101
December 28th, 2011, 11:57 AM
The best thing was my new hair care routine finding my new salon and finding the LHC. Worse is the old hair routine I had.

Diamond.Eyes
December 28th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Best: Sleeping with deep treatments in my hair fairly often and using heat on my hair only twice this year. :)
Worst:: Maybe not sleeping with it in a protective updo as often as I'd like? Besides that, I've been good to my hair this year.
Goal for 2012: Now that the back of my hair is at my hips, I hope to grow my front layers to my hips and the back of my hair to my tailbone. I also hope to do more moisturizing treatments on my hair than I did this year. As my hair gets longer, I need to pamper it more often.

Loviatar
December 28th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Best:
Discovering that shampoo bars now work for me
Cutting out all my damage

Worst:
Cutting back to pixie to get rid of damage

2012 hair goals:
Grow out natural colour and keep it healthy.
Do more deep treatments.

arwenevenstar37
December 28th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Best:almost reaching waist, discovering the pleasure of s&d, camellia oil
Worst: Massive shed due to stress

2012 goal: reach hip and

sharicat
December 28th, 2011, 01:59 PM
best thing: Discovering CO and ditching the blowfryer!

Worst thing: Epic post-natal shed (which is hopefully over now!)

Goal for 2012: Have layers cut at the front to soften my grown-out fringe, then no more cuts until January 2013!

allnight avenue
December 28th, 2011, 02:30 PM
The best -- finally committing to protective updos and learning the joys of having "no" hair while having ALL the hair....so little effort, so many pretty buns!

The worst -- I was good to my hair, but the worst was probably a combination of the small amount of bleach I put in it back in April combined with keeping it uncovered while working outside in the very hot sun this summer. But it looked so pretty and blond, how can I be upset? :rolleyes:

For 2012, I'm really hoping to be able to get to something that I can call "Can I call this waist." My hair has lengthened very slowly in the past because it keeps breaking off, but I hope that the more I protect it, the less that the breakage will happen. It might be an unreasonable goal, but I only have about 5 inches to grow so I think it's possible!

invisiblebabe
December 28th, 2011, 02:43 PM
Best: Discovering that Sun-In works great on my hair, and saving money on professionally done highlights (I know not everyone will like this, but I am not growing my hair super long, I am keeping it within a few inches, give or take, of BSL. So it works on me)

And, learning how to do fake side bangs!

Worst: The typical bad hair days, and getting annoyed that it doesn't look as thick as I'd like

Goals for 2012: Figure out some more cute hairstyles I like on me.

ClassicalBlonde
December 28th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Best: getting rid of some of those awful layers :)
Worst: getting them cut in the first place!
My goal for 2012: to finally get rid of all the damage and to grow to BSL.

jojo
December 28th, 2011, 04:17 PM

trimming or rather dusting monthly, really helped the thickness reach my hemline. Now I am only trimming 2x a year to try and make 2012 a growth year!

What was the worst? nothing i can think of, ive looked after my hair pretty well!

What's your goal for 2012? To continue treating my hair kindly and hopefully have longer hair.

JessL
December 28th, 2011, 08:56 PM
Best: stopped dying and went to WO

Worst: cut off several inches before I made those changes because my ends were so dry and frizzy I couldn't stand them.

Goal: grow to bra strap length by the end of 2012

LadyKate
December 28th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Best: Shea Moisture brand products and bio-silk serum for my ends.
Worst: Ponytails and messy buns (but now I know better!)
2012 goal: More length! Ends brush the top of my hips now, goal length classic, might take more than a year.

KwaveT
December 28th, 2011, 09:55 PM
Best: LHC, discovering CO, eliminate blowfrying

Worst: Enduring awkward phase required for eliminating bangs and gaining shoulder length hair.

2012: Get to APL even though I am more upper shoulder length. I should get my side hair to shoulder and my bangs to neck length. I finally have enough hair to ponytail, braid, or even some buns by this point.

Liesbeth
December 28th, 2011, 09:58 PM
The best: I dyed my hair with henna! I also started taking good care of my hair (oiling, less heat, fewer washes).

The worst: I got bored and cut layers in my hair, which thinned it out too much, and now it's going to take forever to grow them out. :(

If I keep my hands off the scissors, I should be at around BSL by next December! :cheese:

LissaJane
December 28th, 2011, 10:28 PM
Best: I buzzed cut it. For lots of reasons, but hair-wise my long hair was looking really ratty, I think in my obsession to take care of it I had done all the wrongs things and in haste. It's now growing healthy and I get to start all over :D

Worst: In frustration, whilst trying to get my hair to listen, just before going out the other night, I used a whoooole bunch of product: hairspray, mousse, smoothing cream. My hair hasn't actually felt the same since and I'm working on never ever going ape on my hair with product again. I'm going to calmly find a way to deal with my short hair and find what works fpr me.

savfairy
December 28th, 2011, 10:33 PM
Best: Switching to no-cone no sulfate products, not using heat, not washing daily, joing LHC ;), getting a trim!!!, loads more...
Worst: doing the opposite of above!!

ladylovecraft
December 29th, 2011, 12:09 AM
Best: Finally, FINALLY going totally chemical and bleach free for my color and being henna only. It took a lot of convincing, but I'm finally there and very happy with the results. It's so much stronger now! : )

Worst: Waiting so long to do so. I had switched EVERYTHING else--no heat, the right brushes, oils, stretched washes, supplements, etc etc... I wish I would have done it sooner, it'd probably be gloriously healthy right now.

Goal: Reach Waist early in the year, once I get past waist have a decent trim. Also remember to take monthly length photos as I so often forget. Maybe, hopefully be wandering towards TBL by the end of the year?

OakTreeGirl
December 29th, 2011, 12:48 AM
Best: Going shampoo and conditioner free. I could never find a product that works for my hair so this is the first time it's looked really healthy.

Worst: I almost shaved it. I would have regretted it immensely.

ebba
December 29th, 2011, 12:54 AM
What was the best thing that happened in 2011? found LHC and stopped straightening/curling all the time
What was the worst? habitually yanking/pulling/damaging my hair to lose most of the growth
What's your goal for 2012? BSL!!! my hair seems to be stalling atm after a huge spurt but i hope to be there by august/next school year.
Also to stop playing with my hair

Arashi
December 29th, 2011, 01:15 AM
Best: Discovering Sweet Almond Oil.
Worst: I did do some heat styling early in the year, before I decided to try growing it out again.
Goal for 2012: Reach BSL and beyond, get somewhat near my final goal of waist length hopefully by the end of the year. No trimming until June.

CurlyCap
December 29th, 2011, 01:15 AM
Best: Embracing the need to confront my hair + skin allergies, finding LHC, learning about ACV, getting back to a length I will never take for granted again
Worst: First foray into natural products lead to protein overload and lots of breakage
2012 Goal: APL curly (~mbl straight)

BeatlesFanGirl
December 29th, 2011, 01:46 AM
Best: quick hair growth: 1 bigger trim in March (1,5 in) from Waist+ to waist, 1/2 in trim in June, 2 inches trim in November, and my hair is past waist again.

Worst: horrible henna colour: I wanted a dark burgundy, and I got a strange red colour that doesnt even suit me... :/

2012 goal: getting back my original hair colour: a cold shade of dark coffee/dark chocolate. Reaching hip, if my hemline is thick enugh, if not, maintaining at waist. I want some layers in the front and side-swept bangs maybe.

kidari
December 29th, 2011, 02:27 AM
Nice thread!

Best: finding LHC as well :) simply the best forum I've ever been a part of

Worst: getting bleached ombre highlights on the ends of my hair, but at least I didn't chop it all off (I was going through a period of boredom with my hair)

Goal: finally reach waist length for the first time in my life in 2012 :cheese:

MonaLisa
December 29th, 2011, 02:37 AM
Thank you guys for all the replies!
I think contemplation is great! Both about bood and bad decisions!
Also I hope you all reach your goals...Keep them in mind, or in some notes! :)

Keep them coming! It is nice to read! :)

tiny_teesha
December 29th, 2011, 03:19 AM
best - Neelibringadi hair oil - STOPPED my shedding! MIRACLE
worst- seemed to stop working after I forgot to use it for a month...started up again but it still isn't working yet. Am now using it with rooibus and i think that will be the answer.

2012 goal-
To buy extensions 9again) but this time remy virgin ones at 24" (or within budget)
Then to grow grow grow! I can feel my hair is thicker, but I do need to work on the taper, and i believe if i can stop my shedding, that will happen as it grows out. So firstly i'd like a bit more length, so i guess growing and takeing better care of it, since i gave up when i couldn't find a cure.

Avital88
December 29th, 2011, 03:57 AM
The best thing: Not going to a salon to get a trim but do it myself.

The worst: use boxdye semipermanent 5 times in 2 months(ugh yes,what was i thinking)
Because of that i had to trim more in summer and my ends broke off terrible, if that wasnt enough i shed so much during end of summer/fall,it took me 5 more months to get to tailbone while i should have made it already if i hadnt done that..

My goal for 2012 Grow my hair to Classic

Further things for 2012 are microtrimming to better/thicker ends only by the moon,keep on oiling and keeping up the supplements that i'm taking. Also i would like to sleep more, i think it will effect my growthrate aswell.
Happy New Year!

W2
December 29th, 2011, 04:00 AM
Best: Finding this site with support on such a strange thing as growing your hair ;) and all of the advice I can find on almost everything hair

Worst: Finding out how many years it will take to get to where I wan't it. And to find out, how "short" it is comparing.

lesbia
December 29th, 2011, 05:25 AM
Best - I start trimming my hair after a year of no cuts
Worst - A lot of split ends :(
2012 goal - Get HIP lenght with a blunt hemline!

ingvild
December 29th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Worst: I had quite a shed this spring.

Best: realised that I want to have my natural colour, that means I have a few years of henna out-growing but that's alright (the demarkation line is not so bad)
Trimming off around 10 cm in total and still reaching BSL!

Goal: gain a thicker braid and a fatter bun by microtrimming, whilst hopefully growing a bit towards waist.

Tennessee Rose
December 29th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Worst: Self microtrimming with non sharpened scissors...it caused lots of splits.
Best: Increasing protein, and having eggs for breakfast. My hair is stronger, it shreds less and even though my rate of growth is more or less half an inch per month, it has increased a bit more.

Dutchesse
December 29th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Best: Finding LHC, letting my hair air-dry instead of rubbing it with a towel.

Worst: Getting my bangs dyed chemically, it HURT my scalp! (Probably going to do it again, though, I like the look...)

Goal for 2012: Getting to BSL or at least making good, healthy progress in that direction

Achtland
December 29th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Best: Giving up bleach in January. A lot of trims to get on top of damage done.

Worst: The sacrifice in length due to all my trims. Heat styling binges.

Goal for 2012: Waist (currently past BSL) thicker hemline. Increase over-all thickness.

EdG
December 29th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Best: I finally got rid of the last of the tangles and mats left over from my years of finger-untangling-only. That took 3.5 years of combing (during which time a lot of my hairs had replaced themselves). :)

Worst: I'm experiencing broken ends.

2012 plans: Reduce breakage.
Ed

gthlvrmx
December 29th, 2011, 12:16 PM
I left it in a bun for 4 months on top of my head. thats the best.
Worst: i used olive oil twice when i knew it would damage my hair :confused: why i dont know.

Goal: reach classic by next christmas!!!!

born_confused90
December 29th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Such a great thread :D

Best: buying the Goody comb and the Tangle Teezer brush! My hair grew to belly button length this year. I'm really happy about that!
Most especially because I was paranoid that my hair was getting shorter - my wavy hair has seemingly random days of intense curliness - lol, sometimes I'd wake up still sleepy-eyed and get ... upset!

Worst: Er, to be honest, this has not been a good hair year. Barring January, my hair's been feeling soo dry (excess protein I now think) and I was ill in the spring and i lost serious thickness and had the most embarrassing shedding. I couldn't even drag a comb through my hair. I got dandruff and now have stinky sebum/greasy scalp and dry ends.

2012: This year I want to change the shape of my hair/hem line so that it looks a little sleeker (not sure how) and get my hair soft like it used to be by trying out different deep treatments.

georgia_peach
December 29th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Best: Getting rid of all my henna. Buying a good pair of scissors and doing my own trims.

Worst: The short layers and bangs I recently cut into my hair.

2012 Goal: To grow out bangs and layers to chin length by December 2012.

einna
December 29th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Best: Diving fully in to LHC haircare, such as CO, oiling, combes, SMT`s, satin pillowcases and learning updoes and self-trimming!

Worst: Eatig too much sugar and getting too little exercise. Can also get even more patient with detangling.

2012 goals: It is a tie between growing to MBL or trimming more to get a virgin BSL... I am gonna wait and see.

XcaliburGirl
December 29th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Worst: Cut it (OK, I had to try it very short once in my life.)

Best: Loreal EverSleek shampoo

2012 goals: Grow as much as possible. Don't obsess too much and don't get frustrated.

Zesty
December 29th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Best - Found LHC!!! And started loving my long hair and treating it right. Second best is reaching waist.
Worst - Pre-LHC I was feeling bad about my hair and didn't know how to handle it, so I was thinking of chopping.

Goal for 2012 - Get to hip! :D I should be more than on schedule to get to this goal. If I got to tailbone in 2012 I would be over the moon, but I like to set easily achievable goals. ;)

Jomo
December 29th, 2011, 04:22 PM
BEST: Actually, chopping two thirds of it off. It looks better than it has in years, without being 'short'. Also picking up much better hair care habits from LHC.

WORST: Not monitoring my iron properly so I ended up anaemic and with hair so dry and brittle I HAD to chop it off :(

2012: Continue with current 'benign neglect' routine and see how the hair grows out now that my iron's under control again. Pray that I don't get a really, really awful post natal shed. :x

Kumiko033
December 29th, 2011, 04:31 PM
GOAL: Proper shoulder length with no bleach damage left.

Worst: Honestly, i've pampered the hell out of it and I don't regret getting highlights when I was growing out my pixie so none really.

And I'm still sad about having to leave Herbal Essence's Hello Hydration..I'm a sucker for colours and scent.

Best: Understanding Ingredients now and studying them ever since THLC.

Anisaa
December 29th, 2011, 05:02 PM
BEST: Buying a hair fork! It has been the best investment Ive done for my hair, no more hair ties ;)
Worst: I just recently went for a trim and got convinced to get layers to add "style" to my hair.
2012: reach tailbone and thicken my ends.

Blessed 2012 to you all!!!

thelittlestdoc
December 29th, 2011, 05:26 PM
I finally joined LHC and discovered hair oils that have done wonders for the condition of my hair.
What was the worst?
Went in for a trim at my oldest sister's request in July (a few weeks prior to her wedding), left with uneven layers and hair three inches shorter than I asked.
To reach a few inches past waist length, faithfully S&D once a week, and then thicken up my ends with microtrimming.

arith
December 29th, 2011, 07:18 PM
best- Bought a pair of scissors and started to self trim.

worst- Dyed with semi-permanent.

goal-Reach waist length, and thicken up.

pierrotlunaire
December 29th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Best: finding this community, CO, oiling my hair
Worst: Blowdrying, dying my hair...: (
Resolution for 2012: reaching waist, growing out layers and my virgin hair :D

lacefrost
December 29th, 2011, 10:55 PM
best: Finding Yes to Carrots conditioner. The only condi that makes my coarse, dry mane soft

worst: Forgetting my hair and scalp do best when I wash it once a week with a sulfate free shampoo. I tried CO and WO and my scalp just hated my guts. My hair was lovely though.

For 2012: I haven't measure but last I checked (2 months ago or so) I'm at 27.5 so I'll assume I'm at least at 28. I want to grow to hip (my final goal) which is 4 inches away.

MissManda
December 29th, 2011, 11:46 PM
Best of 2011:
Microtrimming, all of my layers are gone, CO, lots of deep treatments, wearing my hair up more, Tangle Teezer, Spin Pins, Nightblooming Panacea, and shampoo bars. A very good year, indeed, even if I had to budget carefully.

Worst of 2011:
My hair being drastically shorter with very thick ends, making most stable updos impossible. There were times where I was frustrated almost to the point of tears, but luckily my decision to get some Spin Pins was a good one.

Goals for 2012:
~ Continue my healthy hair routine.
~ Grow to my original goal of Tailbone Length (33").
~ Maybe get a fringe and/or change my soft U hemline to a blunt one.

Amanecer
December 29th, 2011, 11:57 PM
Best: Finishing the year strong with 3/4 in growth for November and looking to be same for December.
Worst: Got a stacked bob back in September. Don't know what I was thinking. This has to be the worst growing out haircut, ever. On the bright side, it's grown out enough to wear it in a decent ponytail.

Goal: Getting married December 21, 2012 (yes, the day the world is going to end) and I just want to be happy with my hair at that time. Hopefully I can be a solid armpit length by then. (Right now my front layers are barely shoulder while my back layers are much shorter due to the a line of my haircut.)

Mountaingrrl
December 30th, 2011, 01:47 AM
Best of 2011:
Finding LHC.

Worst of 2011:
Getting more hair cut off than I wanted.

Goals for 2012:
Waist length by the end of the year.

zelenilo
December 30th, 2011, 02:03 AM
best: joined the LHC, experiments with oils

worst: I dyed my hair about 7 times (chemical) and bleached it one time

goals for 2012 : more length, no dry hair

wicked kisses
December 30th, 2011, 02:08 AM
What was the worst?

Oh, worst was when I discovered that my hair at the hairline was getting thin. I was desperate to find out why, even asked my Dr. who did a bunch of tests then finally said "It's stress, get more sleep"
SIGH

Best thing is finding LHC. Made him look like a fool, as my hair has now filled back out, and is looking better and longer than ever.

Kizuna
December 30th, 2011, 02:13 AM
BEST: Starting with CO and finding LHC. I've really started to care about my hair this year.

WORST: In the beginning of 2011 I mistreated my hair and went without conditioner during the most dry and cold months. My hair was a mess during that time.

GOAL: My goal for 2012 is for my hair to reach waist length. Also I'd like to convert more people to do CO. :)

missdelarocha
December 30th, 2011, 02:41 AM
Best: I really got serious, cut off my dangly side bits and started again! Have only touched my hair once colour wise with temporary black since. It's just so different to how I used to treat my hair! My hair is longer and nicer than it has been in ages!

Worst: I still haven't sorted the issue with my scalp/sebum, I thought my s+c were cone free since they didn't have anything else like that in them, but they're not :(. I have to grow with a demarcation line of permanent black dye and a bleached+coloured fringe (except with the temp black).

2012 Goals: Grow to APL, if that's attainable and find a nice s+c with no cones.

Happy New Year everybody!

aster66
December 30th, 2011, 03:58 AM
Best: Finding LHC and discovering coconut oil!

Worst: Hmm... where to start? Highlighting my hair with bleach, blowdrying it, using a (very hot) curling iron, straitening it and having layers cut into my hair.

2012: My goal is to keep pampering it with oils and other natural non damaging prudicts and to reach hip length.

Night_Kitten
December 30th, 2011, 05:18 AM
The best of 2011: Finally reaching Classic! :D

The worst of 2011: Realising just how thin and tapered my length and ends are :(

Goal for 2012: Monthly trims of half of the growth to thicken the ends.

zombi
December 30th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Let's see....

BEST: started using Nightblooming panacea and working out
WORST: cut my hair.

GOAL for 2012?? to get back to BSL, maybe. That might be hoping for too much growth, but we'll see.

strangemeow
December 30th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Best: starting wearing my hair up everyday

worst: Let my mom add highlights a few months ago. Guess where I find all my splits at? yep. lol lesson learned.

Lacefrost, yes to carrots is my most favorite, I wish i knew of it sooner!

battles
December 30th, 2011, 06:33 PM
The best of 2011: Found LHC, started using oils and henna. Stopped cutting my hair. :p

The worst of 2011: WHY DID I GET BANGS AGAIN. Dear bangs, you are so thin and sad looking! Stop it! :slap:

Goal for 2012: Oh goodness! I'd love to get past APL. And find a solution for dry, tangly hair BEFORE next winter hits. I think I will also greatly limit the amount of hair related crap I buy.

Calaelen
December 30th, 2011, 07:12 PM
Best thing in 2011: changing to henna exclusively, instead of demi colour.

Worst thing: deciding to go back to sls shamppos for a time.

2012 resolution: regular micro trims to thicken ends, even if I do not gain inches this year.

Evalea
December 30th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Best: Oil! and LHC! and cutting off 6 inches a couple weeks ago.
Worst: 5 months of terrible shedding! :(

2012: BSL - thick throughout the length.

I just cut of 6 inches because it was so thin on the ends! (I need to update my pic...)

angiescurls
December 30th, 2011, 07:59 PM
Best: stopped using heat
Worst: chemical colouring & highlighting
2012 goal: waist length

WaitingSoLong
December 30th, 2011, 08:07 PM

I hit Classic back in October AND trimmed out allof my 6 year old dye the same month putting me back at TBL.

AND hitting one of my very first LHC goals of a TBL braid.

What was the worst?

Umm...? Hitting Classic...LOL...sitting on my hair was not as cool as I thought it would be.

To get past Classic and trim back to Classic...hopefully be a solid healthy Classic by the end of 2012.

Ok, now I have to go back and read everyone else's and see what I forgot to mention!

boomtownrat
December 30th, 2011, 08:28 PM
What was the worst?

Best: I returned to CO washing and started experimenting more with oils, especially adding coconut oil to my diluted conditioner leave-in.

Worst: It's been a stressful year and I think that has possibly stalled the growth a bit, or maybe it's just that it likes to curl at the ends once I reach shoulder length so it doesn't appear to be growing as much as it is.

Goal for 2012: Now I'm at shoulder length, so a goal of APL by the end of the year seems reasonable, even if I get it trimmed a couple of times this year. The last time I got a trim was in June or July. My stylist moved and I was in no hurry to find somebody else because I'm growing it. Even though I've found somebody to cut my hair, I'm waiting a couple more months because I don't want to end up with it above my shoulders again when I get it trimmed. My other possible goal is to get bangs/fringe, but I'm not certain of that one.

swearnsue
December 30th, 2011, 08:55 PM
Best: Discovering how great oil feels on my hair. Using henna every 3 to 4 weeks.
Worst: Waiting for my hair to grow, now that I want it to grow it seems to take forever.
Goal for 2012: Learn to shampoo through just once and rinse with cool/cold water.

Flutterbee
December 30th, 2011, 09:18 PM

I figured out that leaving it alone, aka benign neglect, works best for my hair. No oils, no shampoo bars, just S&C every other day, comb and leave it be. Does wonders for my hair, really.

What was the worst?

Sigh. I dyed it earlier this year. Got tired of the grey and used a box hair dye. Had a LOT of hair loss, and although I loved having the grey covered it wasn't worth the trouble in the end. I now have a crown of baby hairs that stick up every which way when I pull it back. Thankfully it's winter so I've got my hair down a lot more!

Continue benign neglect and no trims. I am just *barely* bsl at the moment and will wander in the BSL to waist wasteland for the better part of the next year. But hopefully, with some luck, I will make it to waist by the end of December. Thinking long hair thoughts!!

Happy New Year!!

tinfoilsally
December 30th, 2011, 09:20 PM
Best: CO washing, beginning experiments with oils (currently sitting with olive oil, coconut oil, castor oil, a plastic bag and a hat all on my head at once), for the first time in years resisting the urge to cut my hair when things got stressful, and quite literally throwing away my hairdryer... there are others, I'm sure. Oh! Daktarin! Yay!

Worst: Honestly, I don't think there's any 'worst'. All of the changes I've made have turned out to work wonderfully, my fried ends are not so fried any more and I've made it to shoulder length. I suppose having goals that were too ambitious to begin with- I wanted to get to APL by this month and I'm only at shoulder. But that's just a result of me being a bit overzealous with my growth estimations.

Goal for 2012: I want to continue oiling and growing until my shortest lengths are long enough to get my hair all cut into a long, shoulder-length bob. This should be sometime around the beginning of summer, I think. Then to carry on growing until I get to BSL. I might even think about growing out my fringe...
I also want to get my diet back to what it used to be (small, healthy portions 4-6 times a day) and start exercising 1 hour a day, 5 days a week again. That was good for my hair and everything else, I think.

luxepiggy
December 30th, 2011, 10:04 PM

Everything! It's been a seriously incredible year, hair-wise: I switched over completely to CO washing, figured out how to dye my hair blue-black without damage, learned about the wonder that is amodimethicone, and discovered a bunch of amazing new products that I love!

What was the worst?
Coconut oil . . . it was actually great for my hair, but it took me over a month to figure out it was also causing the unprecedented acne that was taking over my face (>(oo)<)`

To maintain the super-awesome status quo, ad infinitum b(^(oo)^)d

Vanille_
December 30th, 2011, 10:09 PM
Best: Finding LHC. Not cutting it in six months. CO washing. no heat. benign neglect has been awesome. Manic Panic.

Worst: Umm.. Shedding

Goal: Don't cut until I have to. Learn more styles. Don't obsess to the point of stress.

NightOwl26
December 30th, 2011, 10:19 PM
Best: Finding and joining TLHC, WAY less heat styling, wearing hair up mostly.

Worst: Getting hair highlighted earlier in the year (pre LHC), getting too much cut.

2012 Goals: Be more gentle while detangling, grow out short layers.

rossjen
December 30th, 2011, 10:28 PM
Best: Slowly starting to see positive results in combating severe shedding and thinness by taking evening primrose oil and using Rogaine.

Worst: The fact that I'm still dealing with endless shedding after a year. It has made the process of caring for my hair not fun because I'm always worried about the shedding. I know the stressing is not helping any either.

Goals for 2012: Continue on with what I am doing in the next year. I want to try a biotin shampoo next year to see if that helps things along. I want to try to reach 20 inches, but I'll settle for increasing the thickness of the hemline, if only just a little bit.

almond
December 31st, 2011, 12:55 AM
I'll start with the worst: terrible shedding.
Best: all my hair is growing back! Found LHC and learnt how to take care of my hair.
2012 goals: waist length hair with a thick hemline. Gaining more thickness and shine.

pixiestar
December 31st, 2011, 01:30 AM
BEST Found LHC:D Going from a short bob to apl. No sls and cones.

WORST Only that I wish my hair would grow quicker.

2012 GOAL Get to BSL with a thick healthy hemline.

AnqeIicDemise
December 31st, 2011, 01:34 AM

CWCing. My hair had started to get an icky pubic-hair kinky texture until I figured out the CWC. CO alone gives me the most terrible scalp itchies. Shampoo alone dries out my scalp and my ends snap. Poo and Condish is still not enough.

Oh and I discovered I can wurl somewhat! Depends on the weather and what type of oils I'm using, but I got some waves and wurls! I noticed I can 'train' my wurls if I chose to. For years I thought my hair couldn't hold a curl and turns out I simply had way too much residue in there!

What was the worst?

I wasn't paying attention to my body in 2010 and by early March I had some bad hair loss. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't pretty either. Thankfully, we caught it in time and all I have to do now is take my medication every day. It keeps my thyroid working and its helped me lost inches over all too... AND IT MAKES MY HAIR STAY PUT!

Oh, and going to that mom-and-pop place next to value village was a bad idea. My ears got raped, he cut layers I didn't want and chopped off precious inches I didn't want to shed. never. ever. again.

After the last picture of 2011 has been taken I realized the hemline bugs the crapola out of me. I hate the slight V shape and the shorter layers bug the crap out of me every time I braid or put my hair up.. which is every day. It also irritates me to see my braid have a sudden taper from where I can't get all the layers in the braid anymore (the shortest layers at APL). I shall be working on my thickness this year.

LadyCelestina
December 31st, 2011, 02:40 AM

Finding LHC! :cheese: .Seriously.
I COMPLETELY gave up any heat ( I blowdryed my hair just about once this year and that was just the top near my scalp) , I started experimenting with oils which I would probably never try if I wasn't on LHC, I did a wear hair up challenge,hennaed my hair...So on,so on,you know the drill :-D

What was the worst?
Probably that I gave in and hennaed my hair,even through I swore I will not change it's colour anymore ,and that I cheat on my wear-hair-up challenge.Ah well.

More DT's,more scalp massages,less trims and no dying !

Cania
December 31st, 2011, 03:33 AM
Best - Discovered EVOO
Worst - I put my hair up in a quick bun with a band that had a metal bit on it. Long story short, it snagged and ripped two inches out of a random chunk of hair :(

2012 Goal - Try out ways to improve the thickness. Try the new style I'm after :D

lapushka
December 31st, 2011, 06:58 AM
Best. Cutting out a perm that grew out for 2 and a half years. So much damage.
Worst. Cutting out that perm, cause it brought me from hip back to BSL.
Goal. Getting back to hip.

rock007junkie
December 31st, 2011, 07:19 AM
-Discovering henna. It has made a world of difference in how strong my hair is.
-Discovering Neelibhringadi oil. My shedding is down to almost nothing.

What was the worst?
-Fall shedding

-Get to waist length

Lize
December 31st, 2011, 07:22 AM
Best: I trimmed off some of my dyed/highlighted ends and got rid of my layers so now I have one length hair. I haven't dyed my hair in 2011. I have become much better at wearing it in protective styles. I have stretched out washes to every 3-4 days. I have managed to get CO to work very well for me. I have stuck to my long term goals, and not given in to any impulsive things like cutting bangs or new layers.

Worst: I had to cut more off than I wanted because of bleach damage and layering. I failed to stick to the no trims in 2011 challenge.

Goals 2012: Only two small trims next year. I have already decided the dates so it will be easier to stick by this vow. No more dyeing. Keep up all the good things I am doing now. :) I will pass BSL in the Spring time but I don't think I will reach waist until 2013.

blondie9912
December 31st, 2011, 10:08 AM
Worst: damaging my hair so horribly during a bout of summer dyeing boredom that I had to shave off a chunk at my hairline, it was so fried.

Best: deciding to quit coloring/bleaching my hair and love what nature gave me.

Goal: let it grow as long as I can stand before trimming again, because I feel like my hair is 'uniformly damaged' all over. Even if I get a cut, the hair won't be any healthier because it has ALL been damaged with dye. So I can have long damaged hair, or short damaged hair. I'll choose long :p Also, try and incorporate this shaved chunk into some sort of side-swept fringe or something. Right now it's about 2inches long, and all virgin :)

CurlyMopTop
December 31st, 2011, 10:21 AM
Best: Finding LHC and learning how to take better care of my hair.

Worst: Cutting off way too much length and not ridding myself of some layers sooner.

Goals 2012: Grow my hair past bsl (dry and curly) with a nice thick hemline. :D

CurlyMopTop
December 31st, 2011, 10:22 AM
Best: Finding LHC and learning how to take better care of my hair.

Worst: Cutting off way too much length and not ridding myself of some layers sooner.

Goals 2012: Grow my hair past bsl (dry and curly) with a nice thick hemline. :D

ETA: Oops. Sorry, double post.

Long_hair_bear
December 31st, 2011, 07:44 PM
Worst thing I did in 2011 or ever to my hair: bleach it all to dye it purple

Best thing: my hair didn't completely die or fry... Also found a lady that hand makes hair stuff from scratch with jojoba oil..... My hair LOVES it!!! I'll post her website on another thread. :-)

Goal for 2012: grow my hair as long as I can:cool:

longcurlygirl<3
December 31st, 2011, 07:46 PM
Best: I learned that simpler products make my curls curlier even at waist.
Worst: Shed and tangles :/

2012: Be tailbone and still have 3b/3a curls :)

Tressie
December 31st, 2011, 07:59 PM
Best: I realized that my very fairy tale ends were just past my goal of knee!!

Worst: Shedding!!

2012 Goal: To be gentler to my hair while detangling, and maybe try my BBB afterward!

Alvrodul
December 31st, 2011, 08:11 PM
Best and worst at the same time - getting rid of the last of the chemically damaged hair! :D
Also, reaching tailbone would be a very nice milestone by anone's measurements! :gabigrin:

My aspirations for 2012 is to reach classic - which should be fairly easily achievable, barring a truly epic hair disaster! I count on having one somewhat substantial trim next year - which should suffice, since I haven't had many splits since my summer trim this year which rid me of the chemical damage (and splits)

Renate
January 1st, 2012, 06:33 AM
I started using olive oil instead of industrial leave-ins and a lot less shampoo :)

What was the worst?
Dying it red.

My goal is mid-back lenght with a thick hemline!

shikara
January 1st, 2012, 09:17 AM
The best thing thzt happened to me - and it just happened last week! - was figuring out the right routine to turn stringy, tangly, limp hair into fuller, non-tangly, manageable hair with body! The worst was all the frustration, disappointments, and trial and error to get to this point!

My 2012 goal is to grow two more inches, cut four in hopes of decrerasing my taper, and getting to the length I really want.

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/th_a5642814.jpg (http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/?action=view&current=a5642814.jpg)

beachgirlla
January 1st, 2012, 09:24 AM
I'm new here, I have abused my hair to no end, permanent hair relaxing, hair coloring, hair extensions, hair dyeing, flat iron ... to name a few, finally by the 2nd week of Dec.2011 I had it, I decided enough is enough, took out my hair extensions and chopped 2 inches of the damaged part, could not chop it all :(, started my journey to a healthy lovely hair

What was the worst?
Oh geez where do I start, LOL, read above :)

At this point, I have no idea as I forgot how does my natural hair look and feel, LOL, all what I want is to grow at least 4 inches below shoulder and have very healthy thick hair :)

Happy new year everybody

Oksana
January 2nd, 2012, 08:22 AM

-Started CO washing

What was the worst?

-Having a 2 inch trim in June which I really didn't need and gave me a hemline I dislike.

- My goal is to achieve solid waist length and no trimming in 2012