PDA

View Full Version : To Bang or Not to Bang....

AspenSong
December 27th, 2011, 10:20 PM
Ok guys, I'm asking for some unbiased opinions here. Love the hubby and in laws, but they just aren't "hair" people and insist I look fine however. haha.
I've been growing my last bangs out for over a year now. At the moment they're nearly shoulder length. I'm toying with the idea of cutting them again. Firstly for the change factor of just changing up how I look a bit. Secondly, Anytime I see photos of myself lately, I feel like I look like a fat librarian with my hair bunned and my glasses on - which I always wear. I am not a tiny girl, I've got a chubby face, and I just wonder if it looks even fatter with all my hair pulled back like it usually is. =/
There are pros to having the bangs finally get long - like being able to get them up easier and the ability to braid them into a braid if I attempt a dutch braid - however, I don't know if that's a great pro considering I never do that since my very sad, fine hair looks just pitiful in a braid. So I'm asking for thoughts and opinions....bangs or no bangs? The first few photos are recent-ish shots, and the last ones, are how I usually have worn bangs when I've had them.

http://i41.tinypic.com/ms19c6.jpg

Amazinggrace
December 27th, 2011, 10:23 PM
I think you look beautiful both ways, but I like the bangs a lot. :)

Kaelee
December 27th, 2011, 10:24 PM
Wow, I think you looked super cute with bangs! Not everyone can pull them off, but honestly, I think you look better with the bangs (your family is right though, you look good regardless!)

bubblyredhead
December 27th, 2011, 10:34 PM
I vote bangs but I do agree with everyone else you look good either way but the bangs seem to soften your look for lack of a better phrase.

gypsymoth
December 27th, 2011, 10:39 PM
Both styles look beautiful, but I also think that the bangs make you look a bit older in the bottom left and bottom right pictures. But maybe that's ok with you!
I really like how you've parted them in the middle picture though, it's very flattering. :)

xoxophelia
December 27th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Definitely bang.

MMhm...... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfdoIw2XMXM

On a more serious note I vote the middle bang photo. It is cute.

battles
December 27th, 2011, 10:40 PM
I really like how you've parted them in the middle picture though, it's very flattering. :)

I agree! I like how those ones look. :)

Quixii
December 27th, 2011, 10:43 PM
I think you look great both ways, but the bangs seem to be very flattering on you. :)

ChristyCheryl
December 27th, 2011, 10:44 PM
Do what makes you happy!

mulletesque
December 27th, 2011, 10:44 PM
I vote bangs... but as you might guess from my screen name, I'm biased. :D

xoerincolleen
December 27th, 2011, 10:50 PM
You look really pretty with or without bangs, but I love the bangs in the middle photo on you, they look fabulous!

motu821
December 27th, 2011, 11:16 PM
Personally I think you look most beautiful without bangs, especially in the picture with who I presume is your husband, it's actually kind of stunning :) Gorgeous hair!
To be honest though, I rarely prefer bangs on anyone.

Helix
December 27th, 2011, 11:27 PM
You do not wanna know the first thought that crossed my mind when I read that thread title ;).

But now that it's clear what the subject matter is really about I'm going to say you look adooorable with bangs but ultimately choose the style that you like and can live with.

AspenSong
December 27th, 2011, 11:39 PM
Personally I think you look most beautiful without bangs, especially in the picture with who I presume is your husband, it's actually kind of stunning :) Gorgeous hair!
To be honest though, I rarely prefer bangs on anyone.

Thank you! That is indeed the hubby. ;)

Thanks everyone for the feedback. For me, I've been happy with bangs and with them grown out.
I think what's in my mind right now is this -
I have no intention of cutting my hair, however I feel the need for some change or freshening up of how I'm wearing it/looking - partly because I love my hair, but I don't love how it LOOKS because it's so fine.... I love my hair longer, but have a lot of trouble doing much with it other than tossing it into a sloppy nautilus bun or lately, up in a satin lined hat or in a satin scarf. Braids on me look sad because I don't have a lot of hair and they're supremely tiny and my hair is so fine, a nice braid goes to a flyaway mess which ends up being a lot of tangles, fairly fast, unless I have my hair very heavily oiled. Buns - my hair again is so fine, super slippery, and thin that I can't do a lot there or have it hold well. I don't mind how I look with no bangs if my hair is down, however I rarely leave it down since again, the fineness of it makes it a mess of crazy tangles unless it's oiled a fair amount and when it's loose, it's all over the place and gets caught in everything. So I spend 90% of my hair life with it up or back somehow. So I'm feeling like maybe going back to bangs for a bit, might break up the monotony or something. I started growing them, partly hoping for any extra oomph and thickness I could get in my main length, but know that it's really not going to amount to some miracle amount that gives me crazy thick hair!
Haha, thanks for the compliments on that second bang photo - That was a lucky day. haha. I really can't get bangs to stay on my forehead straight (although I dream of Zooey Deschanel bangs more than you can know!) so I inevitably end up with the side swept ones or just letting them fall where they will to the sides.

kidari
December 27th, 2011, 11:42 PM
I love bangs! You look good with and without in my opinion. I know your pain because I have a really round face and chubby cheeks so I can't do updos without any volume or bangs. If you wear your hair up a lot I vote bangs, especially the longer softer side parted ones in the middle picture. The only pain is that you have to style them usually but it really dresses up the look when everything else is usually pulled back plus you cut away the damage every month if you use heat on them.

Juneii
December 27th, 2011, 11:54 PM
I think I am going to be the only person who is going to vote for not. I think you have a nice face shape and the bangs hide it :( [ETA: except for the middle photo where it is parted to show more of your forehead] I say that if you like the look of thick blunt bangs you should look into buying clip in bangs

AspenSong
December 28th, 2011, 12:10 AM
I think I am going to be the only person who is going to vote for not. I think you have a nice face shape and the bangs hide it :( [ETA: except for the middle photo where it is parted to show more of your forehead] I say that if you like the look of thick blunt bangs you should look into buying clip in bangs

Haha, you aren't the only one. ;) Thank you though!

I've actually considered looking into some of the clip in bangs...but have no real idea where to start and usually end up spending the extra money I'd have for them, on oil or new conditioners. haha

Kira94
December 28th, 2011, 12:30 AM
I vote long side swept bangs. :)

Toadstool
December 28th, 2011, 04:11 AM
I love the middle bangs!

julliams
December 28th, 2011, 04:54 AM
I vote for bangs. The middle picture with the flower is stunning! Not everyone can do bangs, I know I can't. You do look lovely either way, so whatever you choose will be a good choice.

pepperminttea
December 28th, 2011, 06:52 AM
I like both ways, but I vote bangs too. The middle and right-hand bang photos are my favourite; I wouldn't go for blunt bangs, maybe just something a little soft and wispy, or sideswept. :)

Bri925
December 28th, 2011, 07:36 AM
I think the bans look great on you. If you scared of a big change do a side sweep and then if you want you can do the blunt bangs. IMHO I say bangs!

Lightningfury
December 28th, 2011, 07:40 AM
I think your face looks thinner without the bangs but I also think you look cuter with them cause they bring more attention to your pretty eyes.

turtlelover
December 28th, 2011, 07:47 AM
I love the bangs. I don't like them on everyone, but they look really good on you.

patienceneeded
December 28th, 2011, 10:20 AM
Love the bangs! I think you look lovely either way, but the bangs in the middle pic are fabulous! Go for it! I just got bangs 1 week ago, after a 2 year grow-out and have no regrets. http://www.forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7178&pictureid=121689

Hollyfire3
December 28th, 2011, 10:33 AM
I LOVE both ways, tthink you should do what you like but, since your asking...the bangs look AMAZING on you!

NiAosSi
December 28th, 2011, 10:40 AM
No bangs. I think you look way better without them, and more youthful even.

hendricks82
December 28th, 2011, 11:00 AM
I like the side swept bangs on you in the middle picture :-)

white.chocolate
December 28th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Both suit you very well. But I think that bangs make you look younger than no bangs, whichever look you are going for. :)

jojo
December 28th, 2011, 12:06 PM
I love fringes, had one cut in myself last April but although you do suit them well, I love you without, you have a nice shaped face and without looks beautiful IMHO.

UltraBella
December 28th, 2011, 12:16 PM
I like you with bangs, they look really great on you !! You are lucky to have so many options, they will all look nice :)

heidi w.
December 28th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Suggestion: Experiment with a side hair part, to see what you think. You grew it out this far, and it took this long. Hate for you to cut bangs, and then wish you hadn't because then you have to do a do-over.

I wear glasses all the time too, and I feel that bangs just put too much stuff around my eyes. Plus I have a kind of a big chin, and I need to distribute the "weight". Also for me, I have to thin my bangs or they just look too heavy, and it's a pain to keep up with. They always grow too fast and end up in my face or eyes. So, for me, no bangs.

heidi w.

AspenSong
December 28th, 2011, 12:57 PM
I think your face looks thinner without the bangs but I also think you look cuter with them cause they bring more attention to your pretty eyes.

Haha, thank you! That's so funny because I feel like my face looks even fatter without bangs! lol

pes3108
December 28th, 2011, 01:00 PM
I think both ways are very pretty for you, but I am going to say no bangs. The bangs are cute, but kind of make you look a little young. The top picture on the far right is my favorite!!!! Your hair is beautiful and the way it hangs really long with no bangs slims the face

AspenSong
December 28th, 2011, 01:00 PM
Well thank you all for the input, and the very nice compliments on my face shape. :) I feel like it's just a big ol' round mess usually. ;)

Suggestion: Experiment with a side hair part, to see what you think. You grew it out this far, and it took this long. Hate for you to cut bangs, and then wish you hadn't because then you have to do a do-over.

I wear glasses all the time too, and I feel that bangs just put too much stuff around my eyes. Plus I have a kind of a big chin, and I need to distribute the "weight". Also for me, I have to thin my bangs or they just look too heavy, and it's a pain to keep up with. They always grow too fast and end up in my face or eyes. So, for me, no bangs.

heidi w.

Good suggestion and one I may just try! I was thinking this morning about one thing I remembered I don't always love about bangs and that was that while I stretch washes, you really can't stretch making sure bangs are nice and clean for them to look nice.... =/

Rain
December 28th, 2011, 03:02 PM
I vote bangs. I think they are far more flattering. Sexy librarian vs. just librarian. Bangs are hot on you. Bangs.

Arashi
December 30th, 2011, 01:38 AM
I think bangs really suit you.. I especially like the photo on the bottom far right. :)
Also, you can always wash the bangs separately from the rest of your hair, over the sink or something of that sort, so you can still stretch washes as far as the majority of the hair goes. I do this and it works well.

cubiczoeconia
December 30th, 2011, 01:41 AM
I think bangs look great on you! Maybe for an update? try a longer sideswept bang? You could still get them up quite easily if they were left long enough.

Mesmerise
December 30th, 2011, 03:25 AM
Honestly, I think you look fine either way! I tend to be a bit of a "no bang" person BUT I cut bangs a couple of months ago because I thought my hair line was looking a bit thin and bangs would at least hide it.

I started with long side swept bangs, but they just went "flippy" and I didn't want flippy bangs like I wore in 1987!! So I cut them shorter. I honestly don't think they look better on me though... I prefer myself bang free, but I can't handle looking at my pitiful hairline.

The funny thing is I saw my grandma the other day and she started raving about how great my hair looked, and how I looked "swell" (lol...but she's 96 so I can forgive her haha). I couldn't figure out how my hair was so different, until I realised it had to be the bangs. Obviously she thinks I look loads better :confused:.

I guess though, it really depends on what you like. It seems that some people think you look great either way, and others are more pro bang or pro nobang. I lean towards nobang, but that's just because I think I prefer nobangs myself!

Shesta
December 30th, 2011, 03:38 AM
You have such awesome forehead. Don't hide it! :)

oktobergoud
December 30th, 2011, 04:18 AM
I vote for bangs, maybe side swept ones? :)

jacqueline101
December 30th, 2011, 06:55 AM
I like the bangs you had. You also have the type of hair that looks good with out bangs.

Sahar24
December 30th, 2011, 06:58 AM
Another vote for the bangs!

Kristin
December 30th, 2011, 07:02 AM
I have a round face, too, and I almost always have bangs. Last year, I had full, straight bangs and I'm now growing them out to long side bangs. I also have face-framing layers to pull out when I wear my hair up. So...I vote bangs. But if you really don't want them you could try loosening your updos a bit.

celebriangel
December 30th, 2011, 08:05 AM
I like bangs on you, particularly the longer side bangs.

rapunzelna
December 30th, 2011, 07:07 PM
I think you look great with or without. I go through the same desire to change it up once in a while. But sometimes I just hack off my own bangs way to short and then regret it. I'd love either no bangs, or long side swept bangs. I'd like to see a pic with your hair totally free, but you don't wear it that way, so maybe that's not the deciding factor anyway.

For me, long bangs are just below the nose or longer....but that may be to long for you. End of day, bangs grow out if you don't like it.

piffyanne
December 31st, 2011, 02:30 AM
I'm not usually a bangs kinda gal, but I vote it for you--they looked fabulous in all three pics, and three is a magic number for me, hair-image wise! Happy hairdays!:cheese:

ETA: You look nice without them, too. I'm just leaning more towards the bangs. You can carry yourself off without them, too! :)

AspenSong
December 31st, 2011, 06:57 AM
Thanks for all the input guys. ;)

I'm still toying with the idea. I'm trying to hold myself back from chopping them right off because I don't want to kick myself. They'll grow back and that's no biggie and they seem to grow back fairly fast for me (my bangs seem to grow infinitely faster than the rest of my hair!) but I figure since they are shoulder length about now, that'll be a fair amount of length gone so I better be smart and mull it over.
I started thinking again about how not having them would grow that extra length into my hair and make it even that tiniest bit thicker. lol. Sad because I know the amount of bangs I have is probably under 1/4 inch of circumference and logically, that's not going to make a huge difference in my length, but being so self conscious of my fine hair, it's on my mind. :p

Annie44
January 5th, 2012, 04:39 PM
I think the side swept bangs look great on you!

FrozenBritannia
January 5th, 2012, 05:01 PM
I love the sideswept bangs on you!!

Fireweed
January 5th, 2012, 05:18 PM
You have a beautiful, smooth forehead without any wrinkles, therefore, I would go without the bangs. You do look good either way. Its all up to you in the end.

Lilhypsy
January 5th, 2012, 05:25 PM
The bangs get my vote too. Kinda jealy cuz they never work on me. =)

cooklaezo13
January 5th, 2012, 06:00 PM
I think the bangs look great on you and I really like the middle bang picture. You would look amazing with long, side-swept bangs and a few longer, loose, face-framing pieces.

sazzie88
January 10th, 2012, 05:37 AM
Not sure if you have decided with or without?

I think bangs like these would be very nice on you, They arnt so blunt and softens the look

http://allhairstyls.blogspot.com/2011/06/bangs-hairstyle-for-girls.html

sazzie88
January 10th, 2012, 05:38 AM
http://allhairstyls.blogspot.com/2011/06/bangs-hairstyle-for-girls.html

A. Correira
January 10th, 2012, 06:37 AM
I like your bangs in the middle picture! It is different, but not too different and it adds a little shape to your face without taking it over with hair. haha. I really like the side swept look. :)

Charybdis
January 10th, 2012, 06:51 AM
I am generally not a fan of bangs, and I think us big-forehead people need to own and love our sexy giant noggins the way they are, BUT... bangs do look super-cute on *you*. If you won't be too annoyed with the maintenance, I would vote for bangs. But if the trims and washes are going to drive you nuts, then I'd go with no bangs. You'll look fine either way. :flower:

lolabird
January 10th, 2012, 07:00 AM
I think you look great both ways! If you don't want to commit to full short bangs, have you considered a longer side-swept thing? It will give some framing around your face but not be full-committal and easier to grow out if you're not happy with it. Just an idea :)

UP Lisa
January 10th, 2012, 08:29 AM
My opinion is that you should go with the bangs.

HintOfMint
January 10th, 2012, 09:47 AM
You look ADORABLE with bangs! You pull them off so well!

Gingerbear
January 10th, 2012, 09:54 AM
I like the bangs too, but I am thinking a slightly longer bang? (As long as it doesn't bug you getting in your face/eyes) You honestly look fantastic both ways though.