PDA

View Full Version : Frizziness!

Keller1128
December 27th, 2011, 07:17 PM
My hair will NOT stop being frizzy! I had been silicone-free for a while and doing somewhat alright. I switched back to cones after several months to see if the extra weight would possibly make the frizz go away. If anything, I think it got even worse. I've tried jojoba oil, coconut oil, aloe vera gel, various de-frizz gels, mousse, ACV rinses, clarifying, and SMTs. I don't know what to do. I see all these progress pictures posted by other people on LHC, and my hair remains the same. What else should I try? Any advice would be appreciated!!

Hollyfire3
December 27th, 2011, 07:19 PM
Have you tried a rich leave in? Maybe a rich moisture treatment like an SMT? i am trying cassia soon because it is supposed to make hair smooth, i am having frizz probelms also. try put the hair in a braid, oiled, wear it all night, take it out in the morning, maybe the frizz will have gone down? it worked for me a bit.

nakmom
December 27th, 2011, 07:28 PM
I'm still rather new to the boards, so I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in, but my hair is normally really frizzy and the best way I've found to calm it is to braid it when it's still damp and let it dry that way. HTH! Good luck :)

Mina17
December 28th, 2011, 04:04 AM
I battle frizz too:(. I've tried leave-in conditioners and gels and they help, but cassia and damp bunning/braiding has worked the best for me. I also use AVG to smooth the halo when I put my hair up.

bbvt
December 28th, 2011, 04:33 AM
My hair is very frizzy if I wash with non-cone conditioners and let it air dry but recently I've just been using cone conditioners and it tames the frizz a little. I remember using biosilk(?) and that helped tame my frizz a lot.

Hotrox
December 28th, 2011, 04:44 AM
I find that the best thing for me is to air dry but with some kind of containment. Damp bunning works the best but I have to plan ahead because it takes ages to dry like this. Cuts the frizz amazingly though.

Catlover
December 28th, 2011, 05:35 AM
Glad to know that there are some fellow frizzies out there - I am always frizzies - even when I was a child :(.

When I had my hair super short and I mean super short it was frizzy I had to put in heaps of product which I was not happy with - it would still sort of go frizzy :(

Now that it is long almost BSL it still goes frizzy - I oil it, use a version of SMT - and ye gads even use hairspray for work - but alas the frizzies still come.

I have used all sorts of poos - cone and cone free - I will keep my eyes on this thread and see what others come up with :)

I NEVER use heat. I damp bun or braid.

Zesty
December 28th, 2011, 06:59 AM
I don't have much of a problem with frizz, but you might try Nightblooming's Panacea hair salve. If nothing else, I find it glues down hairs that are sticking out and make things look smoother (I have a lot of flyaways). AVG, water, conditioner, and other products didn't work for this purpose, but the panacea gets it done. Just an idea.

girlcat36
December 28th, 2011, 07:16 AM
I am the queen of frizz.
When my frizz is really bad and nothing calms it down, that usually means I need to clarify.
I find I need to clarify frequently, every 1-2 weeks.
I also sleep on a silk pillowcase, that has been really helpful.
I see your hair type is 1b; is it possible that you are a 2?

Topaz
December 28th, 2011, 07:17 AM
I've recently discovered the 'Pure Clean Smoothing Cream' by Garnier Fructis. I believe it relies on bee's wax and fruit waxes. My very frizzy hair seems to really like it, plus for me it lasts from wash to wash, and I only wash about every 4 or 5 days. I'm sold on this one. The only problem is that it makes my hair so soft and slippy that I have trouble keeping hair toys from falling out, but if you mostly wear your hair down and loose like I do, then it's sheer heaven. You have to play with the amount you use, so a bit of experimentation is required. Here's a picture and a brief description.
Fructis Style

Pure Clean
Smoothing Cream

PRODUCT INFORMATION (http://www.garnierusa.com/_en/_us/our_products/product-struct.aspx?tpcode=OUR_PRODUCTS^PRD_STYLING^FRUCTI S_STYLE^STYLE_DISCOVER^STYLE_PURE_CLEAN^STYLE_PURE _CLEAN_RTN1&prdcode=P60127#) RESULTS (http://www.garnierusa.com/_en/_us/our_products/product-struct.aspx?tpcode=OUR_PRODUCTS^PRD_STYLING^FRUCTI S_STYLE^STYLE_DISCOVER^STYLE_PURE_CLEAN^STYLE_PURE _CLEAN_RTN1&prdcode=P60127#)
24-hour frizz control. Zero heaviness.

With 98% naturally-derived formulas, you get more performance - up to 24 hours - and less stuff your hair can live without. That means no silicones, no dyes and no parabens. Just pure, weightless frizz control.

Hold Level: Strong

How to use: DIRECTIONS: Rub a quarter-size amount of cream between palms. Work the cream through damp hair and style.

RESULTS : 24-hour pure frizz control.

Pure Clean Smoothing Cream

http://www.garnierusa.com/img/our_products/PRD_STYLING/FRUCTIS_STYLE/prod-P60127-big.png

Kelikea
December 28th, 2011, 07:19 AM
Do you brush or comb your hair when dry? You might need to do all detangling when wet and then leave it alone. Posting some pictures of your hair wet and dry might also help us determine what you might need.

Kilandra
December 28th, 2011, 08:15 AM
I used to get alot of frizzing and used Giovanni's frizz serum. The down side being that it's full of cones (if that bothers you that is). I recently started using Beautiful Curls leave-in conditioner (natural leave-in) and I haven't had any issues. A little goes a long way too.

bumblebums
December 28th, 2011, 08:34 AM
Your hair is probably curlier than you realize. Try a routine recommended for curly hair (like this: http://www.tightlycurly.com/technique/curlyprimer/) and see if it doesn't behave better.

Keller1128
December 28th, 2011, 06:44 PM
I don't have much of a problem with frizz, but you might try Nightblooming's Panacea hair salve. If nothing else, I find it glues down hairs that are sticking out and make things look smoother (I have a lot of flyaways). AVG, water, conditioner, and other products didn't work for this purpose, but the panacea gets it done. Just an idea.

Where do you buy Nightblooming's Panacea hair salve? Or do you make it yourself?

I am the queen of frizz.
When my frizz is really bad and nothing calms it down, that usually means I need to clarify.

I do clarify once every week or two. I had been sleeping on a silk pillowcase, but just got new sheets and wanted it all to match :) I'll put the silk one back on. I'm definitely a 1 - maybe 1c but not a 2.

I've recently discovered the 'Pure Clean Smoothing Cream' by Garnier Fructis. I believe it relies on bee's wax and fruit waxes. My very frizzy hair seems to really like it, plus for me it lasts from wash to wash, and I only wash about every 4 or 5 days. I'm sold on this one. The only problem is that it makes my hair so soft and slippy that I have trouble keeping hair toys from falling out, but if you mostly wear your hair down and loose like I do, then it's sheer heaven. You have to play with the amount you use, so a bit of experimentation is required. Here's a picture and a brief description.

I think I will definitely try this if I can find it! It sounds wonderful!

[QUOTE=Kelikea;1924113]Do you brush or comb your hair when dry? You might need to do all detangling when wet and then leave it alone. Posting some pictures of your hair wet and dry might also help us determine what you might need.

I don't brush my hair at all (only comb) and the only time I comb it when it's wet is in the shower while it's slathered with conditioner. I'll be out of town for a few days, but I'll try to post pictures of my hair while it's wet and after it air dries.

To all who said to braid it damp - I tried that today. I didn't let it dry all the way in the braid, but it really helped with the frizziness around my face! Somehow it even dried straighter. Without the braid, I think the hair being on my shoulders and near my ears makes it dry strangely. Thanks for the tip!

Amber_Maiden
December 29th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Could it be your environment? The weather?

Keller1128
December 30th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Could it be your environment? The weather?

Possibly. It is really humid here most of the year.

Fairlight63
December 30th, 2011, 09:00 PM
What really helps my hair when it is frizzy & miss behaving is to dampen it with water & put a little olive oil (couple of drops) on my hair. Put it in a low pony tail with a scrunchie & roll it up at the nape of the neck & pin it & let it dry.

SoulOfTheSea
December 30th, 2011, 09:45 PM
Fructis Style

Pure Clean
Smoothing Cream

PRODUCT INFORMATION (http://www.garnierusa.com/_en/_us/our_products/product-struct.aspx?tpcode=OUR_PRODUCTS^PRD_STYLING^FRUCTI S_STYLE^STYLE_DISCOVER^STYLE_PURE_CLEAN^STYLE_PURE _CLEAN_RTN1&prdcode=P60127#) RESULTS (http://www.garnierusa.com/_en/_us/our_products/product-struct.aspx?tpcode=OUR_PRODUCTS^PRD_STYLING^FRUCTI S_STYLE^STYLE_DISCOVER^STYLE_PURE_CLEAN^STYLE_PURE _CLEAN_RTN1&prdcode=P60127#)

With 98% naturally-derived formulas, you get more performance - up to 24 hours - and less stuff your hair can live without. That means no silicones, no dyes and no parabens. Just pure, weightless frizz control.

How to use: DIRECTIONS: Rub a quarter-size amount of cream between palms. Work the cream through damp hair and style.

http://www.garnierusa.com/img/our_products/PRD_STYLING/FRUCTIS_STYLE/prod-P60127-big.png

Could you provide the ingredients list?

arith
December 30th, 2011, 09:54 PM
I also have fizzy hair, and like you I have tried cones, no cones, oiling, and the only thing that worked best for me was dump bunning, its not a miracle but it helps a lot!

MJheals
December 31st, 2011, 08:19 AM
Ah, Op, I share in your 1b/1c frizz-tastic-ness. All of the advice so far is great! I'm still working out a perfect routine for shiny sleek-ish hair, but I've seen improvement from:
Damp bunning/braiding
A satin sleep bonnet
CO washing
Leave in oils
and leave in conditioner

I'm very curious to try the Garnier leave in mentioned in this thread, it looks like a great styling aid!

HTH :)

ktani
December 31st, 2011, 08:55 AM
My hair will NOT stop being frizzy! I had been silicone-free for a while and doing somewhat alright. I switched back to cones after several months to see if the extra weight would possibly make the frizz go away. If anything, I think it got even worse. I've tried jojoba oil, coconut oil, aloe vera gel, various de-frizz gells, mousse, ACV rinses, clarifying, and SMTs. I don't know what to do. I see all these progress pictures posted by other people on LHC, and my hair remains the same. What else should I try? Any advice would be appreciated!!

There is also this, http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2010/08/another-cost-effective-innovation-by.html

Keller1128
January 22nd, 2012, 05:57 PM
I finally got around to taking a picture. Here is my frizz even after damp bunning all day. I don't know if you can tell, but the first few inches are nice and smooth (I used to straighten without heat protectant, but stopped back in June) from healthy, new growth.
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k485/tissmurphette/DSC02547.jpg

Long_hair_bear
January 22nd, 2012, 06:11 PM
Cold water rinses help abit with my fizziness. You might try that.

Hollyfire3
January 22nd, 2012, 06:57 PM
I finally got around to taking a picture. Here is my frizz even after damp bunning all day. I don't know if you can tell, but the first few inches are nice and smooth (I used to straighten without heat protectant, but stopped back in June) from healthy, new growth.
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k485/tissmurphette/DSC02547.jpg

if THATS frizz, i'm in trouble...my hair looks fuzzier then that nearly every day, i think your hair is beautiful and not at all frizzy, if you feel frizz is a problem, try more moisture or maybe some coney serum (if you use cones)

xoxophelia
January 22nd, 2012, 07:18 PM
When my hair looks like that I do a prewash oil treatment with EVOO for an hour or two. Enough for my hair to look a little greasy but not dripping.

joliherb
January 22nd, 2012, 08:03 PM
My hair can be very frizzy as well. I am finding that oiling with Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil (Wal-mart) and leaving it in all day before I wash has been very helpful for my hair. Then after CO-washing I am using a few drops of baby oil in my hair. I have had awesome results!

Keller1128
January 22nd, 2012, 08:24 PM
My hair can be very frizzy as well. I am finding that oiling with Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil (Wal-mart) and leaving it in all day before I wash has been very helpful for my hair. Then after CO-washing I am using a few drops of baby oil in my hair. I have had awesome results!

Wow! The list of ingredients in that stuff looks awesome!!!! I might have to try it (though my collection of oils and hair things is getting out of hand).

Keller1128
January 22nd, 2012, 08:25 PM
When my hair looks like that I do a prewash oil treatment with EVOO for an hour or two. Enough for my hair to look a little greasy but not dripping.

Thanks :) I'll try this too when I get more. We're out :( I've done this before, but SOAKED my hair in EVOO and lost a lot of hair that way. Maybe it would be different if I only used a little like you suggested.

Heatherzilla
January 22nd, 2012, 09:39 PM
I think henna helped my hair. I've also learned that touching my hair when it's dry turns it into a frizzball. I detangle when my hair is soaking wet and scrunch a ton of product through to make my curls nice. I also condition only now which I think helps.

beachgirlla
January 22nd, 2012, 10:31 PM
Fructis Style

Pure Clean
Smoothing Cream

PRODUCT INFORMATION (http://www.garnierusa.com/_en/_us/our_products/product-struct.aspx?tpcode=OUR_PRODUCTS%5EPRD_STYLING%5EFR UCTIS_STYLE%5ESTYLE_DISCOVER%5ESTYLE_PURE_CLEAN%5E STYLE_PURE_CLEAN_RTN1&prdcode=P60127#) RESULTS (http://www.garnierusa.com/_en/_us/our_products/product-struct.aspx?tpcode=OUR_PRODUCTS%5EPRD_STYLING%5EFR UCTIS_STYLE%5ESTYLE_DISCOVER%5ESTYLE_PURE_CLEAN%5E STYLE_PURE_CLEAN_RTN1&prdcode=P60127#)

I used this one did not like it, it did not do anything for me, you actually let me buy it, LOL :D, I should send you mine for free :)

I somehow was the queen of the frizz but after I hennaed my hair twice and used garnier triple nutrition conditioner my hair is much less frizzy than before, it is almost frizz free on the top part of my hair that undamaged, amazing change of just one month on this forum
What I do is use the garnier triple nutrition as a conditioner and just wash it a bit and leave the rest on as a leave in, not so sure if this a good idea or not, hopefully some of the beautiful expert ladies here can chime in about this :D

beachgirlla
January 22nd, 2012, 10:33 PM
I am the queen of frizz.

Sorry girlcat36 I just stolen your title a little, the queen of frizz :D, but I hope soon I will no longer be one

beachgirlla
January 22nd, 2012, 10:35 PM
if THATS frizz, i'm in trouble...my hair looks fuzzier then that nearly every day, i think your hair is beautiful and not at all frizzy, if you feel frizz is a problem, try more moisture or maybe some coney serum (if you use cones)

LOL, I thought same thing, I don't think this called frizz!

ClassicalBlonde
January 22nd, 2012, 10:37 PM
I have heard that aloe vera works well for frizziness.

You're certainly not alone! My hair looks like this all over because of new growth and of course they just have to stick up in all directons, don't they :)

beachgirlla
January 22nd, 2012, 10:43 PM
AND also I was amazed at the baking soda clarifying effects, last week I had some horrible hair day, the hair was fluffy and frizzy, I did not know what is going on, i remembered reading about the baking soda here, the next day I washed my hair, put one spoon of the baking soda in 2 cups of water and rinsed my hair with it, then used ACV rinse followed with garnier conditioner, amazing, all the frizz gone, so your hair may need some clarifying :)

sfgirl
January 22nd, 2012, 11:39 PM
When I have frizz problems, I use cones. My hair loves cones, I want to go cone free, but some months of the year I just can't. :( especially when I lived in the desert.

Mesmerise
January 23rd, 2012, 12:02 AM
My previously heat straightened and chemically dyed hair is insanely frizzy. I think it's just been permanently messed up by whatever I did to it!! My hair never used to be like this, and honestly, there's nothing I can do to fix it. I have tried literally everything, and it's just FRIZZY!! Anything to get rid of the frizz just makes it greasy, because a little doesn't work :(.

I am pretty sure I'm just going to have to grow that old hair out... I do have some waves, but this isn't the reason for the mega frizz! The weird texture of the individual hairs are what seem to contribute to it, no matter what I do. *sigh*. Sometimes I think I should just chop it all off and start again (at least, chop off all the damaged bits...).

I will also add, the top few inches of my hair (approx 6") are practically frizz free. The bangs I cut have no frizz at all. I have to attribute this to the fact that it has been almost 1 year since I chemically coloured and heat straightened my hair. I actually think that if you've done a lot of heat straightening in the past, you CAN change the hairs to the point where they just won't de-frizz. Over the past 12 months that I've been a member of LHC I've tried everything recommended. And NOTHING has permanently fixed those frizzy hairs!!

I test quite a lot to see what will happen. Cones vs no cones... CO, CWC, and whatever else comes up, and everytime I let my hair dry I get insane frizz. I will have to take a picture of it one day (although I find that frizz doesn't always show well in pictures!). I think if I could show the structure of the frizzy hairs it'd also demonstrate it well, because they're ummm... just weirdly shaped. As in, they don't show a regular wave pattern, rather they're sort of bent oddly, and they're all irregular, which contributes to the problem I think.