PDA

View Full Version : Hypnotica's Romantic French Twist (video instructions)

Hypnotica
July 13th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Disclamer: This is *not* easy/pretty to do on very clean hair. Urgh. :scared: The video info will take a while before it shows, apparently. The first step (braiding of the crown hair) isn't filmed, but I hope the instructions will be clear enough anyway.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7862256257652566321

Isilme
July 13th, 2008, 07:10 AM
Nice! You showed an entirely different way to make a french twist , I'll have to try this. Btw, we have the same brush! Do you find it snags your hair?

Hypnotica
July 13th, 2008, 07:17 AM
Nice! You showed an entirely different way to make a french twist , I'll have to try this. Btw, we have the same brush! Do you find it snags your hair?

Nope, my hair loves brushes :)

HappyKarin
July 13th, 2008, 07:33 AM
Thank you Hypnotica!
I have realize that I always have done the french twist in a wrong way :)
What kind of bobby pins do you use?

DotDotDot
July 13th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Yay, thanks for the video! I see you found a great name for the style. :)

Hypnotica
July 13th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Thank you Hypnotica!
I have realize that I always have dune the french twist in a wrong way :)
What kind of bobby pins do you use?

The way I do a french twist isn't the "standard" procedure. :) I use amish pins.

Sceleste
July 13th, 2008, 09:19 AM
One thing I love about your videos that not everything is done super fast and perfectly on the first try. I mean, in the video you feel your hair several times and correct the placement of pins. Instead of a professional hairdresser for example there's "a real person" doing stuff to her hair, if you get what I mean. :) It makes me brave enough to try this updo on my hair.

ole gray mare
July 13th, 2008, 09:44 AM
This is so pretty! I think it would look nice with a rope braid too. Thanks for sharing! :flowers:

lapushka
July 13th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Very nice updo. Neatly done too. Wish it would work on shorter lengths. Has anyone tried this with shoulder to BSL hair?

Hypnotica
July 13th, 2008, 10:02 AM
One thing I love about your videos that not everything is done super fast and perfectly on the first try. I mean, in the video you feel your hair several times and correct the placement of pins. Instead of a professional hairdresser for example there's "a real person" doing stuff to her hair, if you get what I mean. :) It makes me brave enough to try this updo on my hair.

Aww, thank you. I feel a little supid when I'm correcting in ad naesum.

This is so pretty! I think it would look nice with a rope braid too. Thanks for sharing! :flowers:

Yes, It would. :) But I fancy regular braids more then the rope-y kind. And ropes doesn't hold very well in my hair...

Very nice updo. Neatly done too. Wish it would work on shorter lengths. Has anyone tried this with shoulder to BSL hair?

No, but you could split the crown hair braid into two braids instead.

Guenever
July 13th, 2008, 10:14 AM
That video just taught me how to do a secure french twist! :happydance:
I'd never been able to do that before :D Thank you - looks awesome!

getoffmyskittle
July 13th, 2008, 10:39 AM
I did it, I did it!! (Results in my blog.) :joy: Thanks, Hypnotica!

Hypnotica
July 13th, 2008, 10:42 AM

*popping over with a glass of wine*

Siava
July 13th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Thanks for this video. I didn't know how to do a french twist. :) Now I do!

Hypnotica
July 13th, 2008, 01:45 PM
That video just taught me how to do a secure french twist! :happydance:
I'd never been able to do that before :D Thank you - looks awesome!

Glad I could be helpful.

Thanks for this video. I didn't know how to do a french twist. :) Now I do!

Fantastic! French Twists are very neat.

Hypnotica
July 14th, 2008, 04:27 AM

Do you like it? :)

neenerbabe
July 14th, 2008, 06:24 AM
That is a totally different way to do a french twist and I love it! Video tutorials rock, thanks Hynotica!

Hey, does anyone know a good site that has lots of links to video updo tutorials? That's the best way for me to learn, it's how I learned to knit, too.

Curlsgirl
July 14th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Oh I love this! I am going to try it tomorrow! Looks easy enough too and pretty quick. That's the kind for meeeeeeeeeeeee :cheese: Thanks so much!

Sorus
July 16th, 2008, 12:58 AM
I wore this style the other day just from reading your instructions, but I'm so glad I watched the video because I have much better luck making French twists your way. Woop! I was excited about the braid addition because keeping the top nice was an issue, but with the new method and the braid I will be styling. You rock! :rockerdud

purpleorc
July 16th, 2008, 03:00 AM
Thanks for sharing the up-do on the variation of a French twist, it is always nice to add new styles to the repertoire :)

Koskaan
July 16th, 2008, 03:02 AM
Hypnotica, the video instructions were very clear and the way you make the French twist is superior to any way I've ever seen it done in any instructions before. And the updo itself looks great! Really romantic!

Now, if only I figured out a way to stuff all my extra length into that pocket and get it to stay there... :silly:

Haith
July 16th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Hypnotica, this is such a beautiful style and the video is done exceptionally well. I have always wanted to wear a french twist on special occasions, but it never ever turns out looking beautiful and polished. This may be the cure for that!

Golden21
July 16th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Thanks for sharing, I love that hair style! The color of your hair is amazing by the way.

Tangles
July 16th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Hypnotica, you have an amazing sense of style--this hairdo is so romantic without being overly Victorian or anything. Simply, gorgeous!

Medvssa
July 16th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Wow! I just did it! :D I am at work and only have two bun pins, but I tried nonetheless and it is very easy :) at least easy now that my hair is straightened (wavy in fact) with curlers, and very dirty :D

I did it with about BSL lenght, I just tucked in the braid too at the bottom. I took crappy phone pics, let's see if I can post them when I get home.

sahiba
July 17th, 2008, 12:32 AM
You are too good. :bowtome:

jessie58
July 17th, 2008, 12:39 AM
That was a great tutorial, thank you.

paradoxx
July 17th, 2008, 03:03 AM
I have never been able to do a decent French twist, but I am very hopeful that this technique will work with practise. Thanks Hypnotica!

LadyGoddess
July 17th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Disclamer: This is *not* easy/pretty to do on very clean hair. Urgh. :scared: The video info will take a while before it shows, apparently. The first step (braiding of the crown hair) isn't filmed, but I hope the instructions will be clear enough anyway.

Wow, thanks! Are you twisting the lower half as you go? My hair has been "layered" so the front is about elbow length and the back is er...half-way down my butt. Do you think it works with that sort of hair?

And secondly, what kind of pins are those? Do you think they can be bought at Walmart? I think I'm going to go help set up then run home in order to get ready so I'm not in the hotel trying to wiggle into my dress and get my hair and make-up done. :D

Hypnotica
August 4th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Wow, thanks! Are you twisting the lower half as you go? My hair has been "layered" so the front is about elbow length and the back is er...half-way down my butt. Do you think it works with that sort of hair?

And secondly, what kind of pins are those? Do you think they can be bought at Walmart? I think I'm going to go help set up then run home in order to get ready so I'm not in the hotel trying to wiggle into my dress and get my hair and make-up done. :D

I'm sorry for the overdue answer (been on vacation/taking a LHC-break):

Yes, I twist the bottom half as I go and I belive that your hair should be absolutley fine with this style. Maybe you need to do some additional "afterwork" with stuffing bits of hair under the twist, but that's all.

I use Amish pins that I got off ebay. I find them superior to any other metal pins.

Sherri
August 4th, 2008, 02:10 PM
You have very pretty hair and did a great job with that french twist and i love this version of it also.

FrannyG
August 4th, 2008, 02:26 PM
That's just lovely, Hynotica, and you did a wonderful job with the tutorial. Thank you for posting that. :flowers:

Whimsical wind
August 5th, 2008, 01:49 AM
I love your hair colour.

Feng-Shui
August 5th, 2008, 08:16 AM
This updo is very beautiful.
I will definitely try it.

Thanks for divide.:flowers:

JKRBeloved
August 5th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Hypnotica, what a great teacher you are! So very patient in showing us the details carefully. I'm going to try this today, but imagine it won't really work until my hair gets somewhat longer. Your hair is so shiny and lovely!

blondecat
August 10th, 2008, 05:15 AM

I love it, It looks so simple.

I have one question tho, just what do you do when you start twisting ? How does the twist form ?

Hypnotica
August 27th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Hypnotica, what a great teacher you are! So very patient in showing us the details carefully. I'm going to try this today, but imagine it won't really work until my hair gets somewhat longer. Your hair is so shiny and lovely!

If your braid are too short for a full wrap-around, try making two braids at the beginning.

I love it, It looks so simple.

I have one question tho, just what do you do when you start twisting ? How does the twist form ?

The twist form by spreading the hair from the base of the twist upwards and at the same time twisting the loop at the top.

mira-chan
August 27th, 2008, 05:22 PM
I tried this and it worked fine on my thigh length fairytaled hair, I just looked the braid twice. I've never been able to do a french twist before. Sadly the camera did not produce any nice pictures of it. :mad:

busnutmedic
August 27th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Oh, your hair is so beautiful and thick! Thank you for sharing :D

LadyLongLocks
September 6th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Very nice French twist demo! My hair is just too long to do a french twist..I have tried numerous times. Enjoyed watching and I like the braid variation.
Thank you for sharing:)

blondecat
September 6th, 2008, 10:51 PM
If your braid are too short for a full wrap-around, try making two braids at the beginning.

The twist form by spreading the hair from the base of the twist upwards and at the same time twisting the loop at the top.

Thank You :)

Q. everytime I try, the twist starts up in the middle of my head, what can I do to keep the twist at the base of my skull ?
TYIA

blondecat
September 6th, 2008, 10:53 PM
I do love this FT tho, I really really want to learn it :) :) :)

Stupid Q. How long is your hair ?
Mine is at waist, does it need to be longer ? For this Twist.