PDA

View Full Version : Question about Biotin and Acne

scata999
December 27th, 2011, 01:43 PM
I started taking biotin last week and have been breaking out since. I know I'm not the only one. This question is for those who have also broken out from biotin, how long did you take it for and how long did the acne last? See I'm trying to figure out if my body will adjust to the biotin and stop breaking out or if the acne will persist for as long as I'm taking it. If the latter is true I'll just stop cold turkey, because its not worth it.

MoonLover
December 27th, 2011, 03:51 PM
I want to know this too before I start taking it so I'm bumping

cheetahfast
December 27th, 2011, 03:55 PM
If I understand correctly and have read other similar threads right...

It does not adjust, another member I believe posted that she never adjusted. Others said the same happened to them.

I've never taken straight biotin or any vitamins. My co worker swears by a multi that has some biotin in it, she broke out from using it straight. I think it's rainbow naturals or rainbow light? She says it doesn't make her queasy. :shrug:

sarahbrownie
December 27th, 2011, 04:14 PM
If I understand correctly and have read other similar threads right...

It does not adjust, another member I believe posted that she never adjusted. Others said the same happened to them.

I've never taken straight biotin or any vitamins. My co worker swears by a multi that has some biotin in it, she broke out from using it straight. I think it's rainbow naturals or rainbow light? She says it doesn't make her queasy. :shrug:

For me it never got better. It wasn't just another breakout, it was painful cystic acne.

But in the end I felt I didn't need it. It's a supplement, for if you're not eating enough foods high in biotin. So I decided to eat more nuts during the day and stop taking the supplement. I did that and my breakouts disappeared. Here are 8 foods high in Biotin (http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/vitamins-minerals/8-foods-rich-in-biotin.html).

cheetahfast
December 27th, 2011, 04:19 PM
For me it never got better. It wasn't just another breakout, it was painful cystic acne.

But in the end I felt I didn't need it. It's a supplement, for if you're not eating enough foods high in biotin. So I decided to eat more nuts during the day and stop taking the supplement. I did that and my breakouts disappeared. Here are 8 foods high in Biotin (http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/vitamins-minerals/8-foods-rich-in-biotin.html).

I actually was referring to you, I remembered your avatar, but not your user name. :flower:

Mommyof4
December 27th, 2011, 04:22 PM
I had breakouts for 2 weeks, I have been taking it ever since, daily, with no bumps at all :)

sarahbrownie
December 27th, 2011, 04:55 PM
I actually was referring to you, I remembered your avatar, but not your user name. :flower:

I figured. I was ME ME! :waving: lol!

spike316
December 27th, 2011, 05:32 PM
I took it for six months and never adjusted, perhaps try lowering your dosage?

turtlelover
December 27th, 2011, 05:50 PM
I never had a problem, but if you do, maybe you could try taking it a couple of times a week rather than daily.

turquoisedays
December 27th, 2011, 05:51 PM
I've read that biotin is a water soluble vitamin so you need to stay hydrated with lots of water otherwise the biotin will have nothing to dissolve in and this will cause the breakouts. I was taking 1000 mcg of biotin a day at one point and when I started drinking lots of water again I noticed a huge difference.

I've also heard that taking vitamin A helps mitigate acne. (Anti-acne drugs like accutane are actually vitamin A derivatives). However, I heard the amount you take needs to be carefully regulated because it's fat soluble (stays in the system for a while) and because of toxicity issues. I take it in beta carotene form and the body only converts what it needs for vitamin A so it's not harmful.

gogirlanime
December 27th, 2011, 06:31 PM
You might be taking too much starting out, slowly increase your amount until you get to about 2,000mcg I wouldn't take more than that. Also, take a multivitamin or a B-complex with it to keep your body's balance of b vitamins, that helps too.

DRINK LOTS AND LOTS OF WATER

Avital88
December 27th, 2011, 06:33 PM
i had the same problem and it wasnt even alot a day but it came to the point my brother bought me an acne cleansing gel for the holidays(i guess thats bad) i usually only have one spot when in period, now i had at least 5 the whole month. yes thats a huge change for me and i didnt like it. i quite the biotin and its getting less now but i also started using the gel so i have no good answer on the question.

scata999
December 28th, 2011, 02:20 PM
I lowered my dose to 125mcg a day (cut my 1mg pills into 8 pieces) and after a week I was still getting bumps on my neck, although not as much as before. I was drinking tons of water too. I'm afraid biotin just isn't for me, which is disappointing because I know it works for hair growth.

lw8666
December 28th, 2011, 03:33 PM
Biotin supplements increased my acne. Several months went by and the problem had progressed, so I removed it from my diet. I wasn't even sure 100% sure if it helped my hair growth, so it wasn't worth all the stress over my face.

luinecu
December 28th, 2011, 03:59 PM
I never adjusted to biotin either, which I'm devastated about because the first time I tried it I had a huge hair growth spurt (2 inches in a month). The acne was bad enough to stop taking it though, and in subsequent biotin experiments I never did repeat that rapid growth. Since then I've started attacking my biotin intake with a multi-vitamin, and since I'm vegan anyway I'm getting more than enough of those recommended biotin-rich veggies :)

Amber_Maiden
December 28th, 2011, 04:11 PM
I stopped taking it after 2-3 weeks and the acne not going away.