PDA

View Full Version : My hair is a lint trap :( Any suggestions?

Stagecoach
March 14th, 2008, 06:22 PM
This has really been bugging me lately, though it's a problem I've always had.

So, what exactly is this problem? My hair collects lent and dust. If I hold my length up to the light I can see the dust particles covering each strand.

Do you have any ideas on how I might help prevent this?

Or is this just part of having long hair and I've somehow missed others complaining about it?!

Ms Monnie
March 14th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Are your brushes/combs clean (if you use any)? I find that helps.

doodlesmart
March 14th, 2008, 06:31 PM
I have this problem too. I clean my brushes regularly, but after one brushing they are lint filled again. I have started making sure that I store them face down or in little baggies so they are only getting lint from my hair, but that appears to be enough to fill them anyway. I find that it is worse when my hair is more sebumy, I think dust likes sebum and sticks to it more. My hair is almost always up and away, so I don't know where it finds the lint, but alas it is there.

Sorry I wasn't much help, but I will be watching this thread to see if anyone else has conquered the lint.

angelthadiva
March 14th, 2008, 06:32 PM
I don't notice this on my hair so much as I do in DD6 hair...Her hair is a total lint trap! I think it has to do w/her blankies...She had one that sheds a lot, but it's snuggly soft and she loves it...I normally detangle it w/a wide tooth comb then go over her hair in small sections w/a fine tooth comb..Other than that, I have no other suggestions!

Chromis
March 14th, 2008, 07:14 PM
I don't notice this on my hair so much as I do in DD6 hair...Her hair is a total lint trap! I think it has to do w/her blankies...She had one that sheds a lot, but it's snuggly soft and she loves it...I normally detangle it w/a wide tooth comb then go over her hair in small sections w/a fine tooth comb..Other than that, I have no other suggestions!

Bedding was my first thought too! Flannel sheets cause astounding lint levels for me, esp pillowcases! Nice soft little fuzzy fleece blankets also give me massive lint woes.

Stagecoach
March 14th, 2008, 07:21 PM

Bedding was my first thought too! Flannel sheets cause astounding lint levels for me, esp pillowcases! Nice soft little fuzzy fleece blankets also give me massive lint woes.

Humm... I do use fleece blankets, but not flannel sheets. But fleece blankets are all I have, so until summer I'm afraid I can't experiment by ditching them!

I have this problem too. I clean my brushes regularly, but after one brushing they are lint filled again. I have started making sure that I store them face down or in little baggies so they are only getting lint from my hair, but that appears to be enough to fill them anyway. I find that it is worse when my hair is more sebumy, I think dust likes sebum and sticks to it more. My hair is almost always up and away, so I don't know where it finds the lint, but alas it is there.

Sorry I wasn't much help, but I will be watching this thread to see if anyone else has conquered the lint.

Are your brushes/combs clean (if you use any)? I find that helps.

I only comb, and I dust eachone before combing my hair, so I don't think this is the culprit

Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond! I sure hope this is something I can beat!

peacecat3
March 14th, 2008, 08:38 PM
I've noticed I have less trouble with lint if I'm using silicones. My hair was a total lint trap when I tried WO; when I use silicones I don't notice lint at all. Probably some of it also has to do with hair texture, too--I'm a 2c/f/m/ii.

To combat lint, I occasionally use cones, but most importantly, my hair is usually contained. Sometimes I'll also wear a silk scarf over it to bed. And clean out my brushes regularly.

HTH. :o

ETA: Oh, and oiling it seemed to MAJORLY attract lint. :( Probably one of the main reasons I never did well with oils. That, and the fact that I lived in a desert . . .

Of course, your mileage may vary!

Antares
March 14th, 2008, 08:59 PM
I came in here specifically to suggest fleece blankets, but I see someone has already beaten me. If I were you, I'd also look at towels and maybe any sweatshirts you have. I always have a huge lint problem when I wear a new sweatshirt because the inside is all fuzzy, but after a few washings it clears up. New towels with lots of fluff do the same thing to me. Anyway, fabrics are my main issue.

Also, how often do you wash? If my hair is sebum-y it attracts everything. I imagine oils would also cause an issue.

Finally, I also tend to have a problem during the winter when there's lots of static. Do you use dryer sheets at all? I find they cut down on the problem for me.

Hope some of that helps!

DragonMommie
March 14th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Do you oil? I am finding that my brush has a LOT more lint and dust since I started oiling.

Uni&Corn
December 20th, 2010, 10:42 PM
I have this problem too! I clean my combs and wash my hair regularly (every other day to every 2 days), but I always manage to find lint or "dust" in my hair. I also wondered if it's from drying my hair with a towel after showering, but I don't think it is. I think my hair just attracts lint from the air :(

I don't have a dry scalp issue, so I know it's not dandruff.

ravenreed
December 20th, 2010, 11:04 PM
Oil makes my hair sooo much more linty. It is one reason I go lightly on the oils. On dark hair, it shows up very well.

PrincessBob
December 20th, 2010, 11:58 PM
I have this, too and it contributes greatly to my snarling tangles problem.

Sinisiew
December 21st, 2010, 02:14 AM
One thing that comes to mind is, have you cleaned the filters and insides of your vacuumer lately?
Most vacuums, especially those with paperbags exhaust a lot of fine dust either because they lack filters in the exhaust area so the exhaust goes directly through the paper bag bringing all the tiny fibres out again, or if there is indeed a filter there; because the exhaust filter hasn't been cleaned lately.

HTH!

ilovelonghair
December 21st, 2010, 04:04 AM
Extreme dry ends here and those collect a lot of lint lately.

maria_asa
December 21st, 2010, 04:49 AM
I also have a lot of problems with lint and unfortunally I haven't been able to find a way to get rid of it. I comb out all the lint in the morning, bun my hair and when I take it down at night there's lint in it again. How does it get in there? :confused:

Darkhorse1
December 21st, 2010, 10:10 AM
I use cones and have had the odd lint problem--usually it was when my hair got to a certain length. I'm at hip length and so far, I'm ok.

Course, once when on a summer hack, I found a bug in my braid when I was done ;)

spidermom
December 21st, 2010, 10:21 AM
My first thought was oil as well. Now I only oil pre-wash; otherwise my hair is a linty, dusty, Velcro mess.

EdG
December 21st, 2010, 10:21 AM
I too get a lot of lint in my hair. Lint readily becomes airborne and collects on all the horizontal surfaces in my house.

I comb lint out of my hair every day. Regular combing seems to be the best remedy.
Ed

spoonshine
December 21st, 2010, 10:57 AM
I recently changed my cuddly sofa blanket 'cause it was a major lint provider and it was driving me nuts. Very big improvement since I did that. Wearing more sweaters at this time of year doesn't help things either. Going easy on the oil and making sure I put my hair up when I've oiled the ends has helped cut down on it too.

Tabitha
December 21st, 2010, 11:40 AM
Do you oil? I am finding that my brush has a LOT more lint and dust since I started oiling.

Oil makes my hair sooo much more linty. It is one reason I go lightly on the oils. On dark hair, it shows up very well.

My first thought was oil as well. Now I only oil pre-wash; otherwise my hair is a linty, dusty, Velcro mess.

What they said!

Sophiawavyhair
December 21st, 2010, 11:50 AM
My hair never had any lint or dust in it until I started using coconut oil. I love coconut oil so I guess I gotta live with the lint? *shrugs*. Combing instead of brushing Does help and also changing your blankets or sleeping with your hair in a bun. I had little pink balls in my hair last week from my pink blanket. lol . I sleep with a satin pillowcase now.

omg a white dot!! *looks for scissors* nop! Its just dust! (>_O)

faeflame
December 22nd, 2010, 05:18 PM
Great thread!! Most of my tangles seem to have a nucleus of 'mystery' lint.