PDA

View Full Version : The Many Uses For Your Favorite Oil Thread!

bna_rapunzel
December 27th, 2011, 07:53 AM
I discovered yet another use for my coconut oil last night and it made me wonder, am I the only one who tries to use oil for everything? Yes, maybe in the real world, but in LHC Land, I KNOW I'm not the only one!

I use coconut oil. I...
1. Use it on my hair!
2. Use it under my eyes for moisturizing and taking away my "bags"
3. Use it on my tattoos. Makes them all vibrant again!
4. Use it on my feet for extra soft footsies :)
5. Use it on my hands, it makes them sooo soft!! (helps me not touch my face, coconut makes my face break out if I put it anywhere except for directly under my eyes)
6. Use it for my SD when it decides to make its rare appearances.
7. Use it as chapstick!
8. Use it on my elbows/knees to keep them extra soft and pretty!

I haven't cooked with it yet so that could be yet another use I discover. What about you guys and gals? Any fun oil discoveries? :)

Jean Stuart
December 27th, 2011, 08:30 AM
I use it to cook. sometimes.

motu821
December 27th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Hmm, well I use jojoba oil as body, face, and hand moisturizer. I think that's my only other use besides on the hair :)

patienceneeded
December 27th, 2011, 10:07 AM
I rub 100% Argan oil on my arms when my eczema flares up, and on the individual eczema patches that crop up every now and then. It really helps.

blondie9912
December 27th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Cool idea for a thread! My favorite oil is coconut as well :) I like it
1) on my hair to smooth it with a few drops
2) heavy oilings for moisture
3) as a facial and full body moisturizer
4) on my cuticles
5) as an awesome oil for tanning in the summer (yes, I'm bad, I like to tan in the summer. Don't worry, I don't overdo it!)
6) sometimees, it smells so delicious when I'm using it for any the above purposes that I just have to eat some! Im trying to have a tablespoon daily

coffinhert
December 27th, 2011, 11:02 AM
1. Oil pulling

As a mouthwash before or after I brush my teeth. I use sesame oil or coconut oil.

Amber_Maiden
December 27th, 2011, 08:53 PM
avocado oil- hair and skin!

Kelikea
December 27th, 2011, 09:07 PM
I do all of the above (except the oil pulling)! I love to stir fry with the coconut oil, especially with thai green curry paste!

Arashi
December 27th, 2011, 09:12 PM
Olive oil- to cook with! Yum yum. I cook nearly everything with olive oil.
Of course, on my hair. On my skin(though not on my face).. it's my favorite body oil.
Great for dry hands, feet, to rub into my nails. Sometimes I add some to my bath. Occasionally I do use it on my face in the form of a brown sugar scrub.

(I currently use Sweet Almond Oil for my face, and also like it on my hair)

arantxarivas
December 27th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Olive oil:
I use olive oil to do an scrub with brown sugar or with coffee its awesome for
the skin!
I love to put olive oil on my salads!
I also put the olive oil on my lips when i feel them dry
Obviously on my hair

Jojoba oil:
I put jojoba oil on my face, because it helps to hydrate it even that my face
is oily
And of course on my hair, is really light and great!

naturegirl321
December 28th, 2011, 08:49 AM
My mom warms up a quarter cup and drinks it. Says it cleans out her system. I use it as chapstick too. I'm going to get aloe vera butter though instead of coconut oil. I wanted aloe vera and coconut oil, so I figured the aloe butter can kill two birds with one stone.

bna_rapunzel
December 28th, 2011, 11:28 PM
My mom warms up a quarter cup and drinks it. Says it cleans out her system. I use it as chapstick too. I'm going to get aloe vera butter though instead of coconut oil. I wanted aloe vera and coconut oil, so I figured the aloe butter can kill two birds with one stone.

She drinks it? Hmmm... yet another new interesting idea :)

naturegirl321
December 29th, 2011, 02:44 AM
She's VERY health conscious

Shesta
December 29th, 2011, 02:57 AM
Coconut oil - used on hair and body (as a shower scrub, when mixed with sugar)
Almond oil - on hair, face and neck

vatikagirl
December 29th, 2011, 03:58 AM
I use many kinds of oils for different purposes.
Castor oil for my scalp, eyelashes and eyebrows (diluted with coconut oil or almond oil for scalp and pure for eyelashes)
Coconut oil for length of my hair and for as body oil as well.
Almond oil for scalp and as body oil.
Olive oil for hair, body oil and facial.
Mustard oil and sesame oil for scalp massage in winters. I used them for body massages too, esp footrub.
Ayurvedic Bhringraj oil for scalp massage.
Navratna cool menthol oil for scalp massage in summers.
And also my own concoction of herb infused oil mix for scalp massages, it is a mix of coconut oil, olive oil, amla oil, sesame seed oil and castor oil infused in herbs and spices.

Yea, I know I love scalp massages, I do it twice a week if not daily.

auburntressed
December 29th, 2011, 04:10 AM
I'm not sure which oil is my favorite. I love several of them, and there are ones I still want to try.

Olive oil - love it for my hair, for my lips, and for foods like salad and bread. I don't typically use it on my body, because the smell is a bit strong for me.

Almond oil - love it for my face and my body. I also use it on my hair, sometimes mixed with olive oil. Sometimes mixed with jojoba. Sometimes I mix all three and put it in my hair.

Jojoba oil - The only thing I have used this for consistently is my hair, though I have put it on my skin a couple of times. I like the smell, but again, it's a bit too strong.

I would like to try coconut oil next.

curlsgalore
March 10th, 2012, 08:53 PM
I Love coconut and olive oil. I pretty much use them the same way.

Cooking
Deep oil treatments
As a leave-in
Face moisturizer
Lip balm
Lotion
Deodorant (haven't used EVOO this way yet)
For homemeade toothpaste (coconut oil)

melusine963
March 11th, 2012, 12:20 AM
The only coconut oil I could find came in a big jar. I always told myself I would cook with it, but I haven't so far. Now a year later I've barely made a dent in it, so I should really find another use for it before it goes off or something. I'm not sure what the shelf life is...

MeowScat
March 11th, 2012, 12:42 AM
I love using coconut oil on my entire body and face after showering.

I put a little extra on my cuticles to soften them before pushing them back.

It's also great after shaving my legs, it doesn't burn like some perfumed lotions do.

Elbows and heels drink it up!

Thank you a million times over, LHC, for teaching me about my new buddy, Mr. Coconut Oil. He's so smooooooth!

:)

ashke50
March 11th, 2012, 03:34 PM
I bought the coconut oil for my hair, and I do use it on that sometimes, but far more often for my feet, my hands, and sometimes legs and elbows too! Much cheaper and more effective than "normal" moisturisers.

Cimorene
March 11th, 2012, 04:00 PM
Best thing to cook using coconut oil: pineapple pancakes! :yumm:

ratgirldjh
March 11th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Goodness - I use a lot of oils!!!

Ghee:
cook with it when I don't use olive oil
use it for my skin face included (scented with EO's) the only thing that takes away my forehead wrinkles!!! :D
bath oil (scented)
on popcorn with olive or coconut oil YUM!
foot massage before bed
oil massage before bathing (scented)
as a nasal oil - if my nose is dry or if I have allergies I stick a few drops in my nose and clears it right up! this also works with sesame oil
rub on infected scratches - heals them quickly
as a scrub mixed with turmeric for face and body
cuticles and hands (takes away wrist wrinkles!)

Castor oil:
eyelashes
abdomen packs
my cats ears when he gets ear mites
any eye infection

Coconut oil or sesame oil:
popcorn along with ghee or olive oil
oil pulling

For my hair I usually use my auryvedic oil and do scalp massages and lightly oil my length - usually the night before a wash - but also if needed or I feel the urge.

I like olive oil too for most of these uses - but I think over all I prefer my ghee - because it is the one I am most inclined to reach for when I'm in a hurry! But I definitely use extra virgin organic olive oil in my salads! and it is great on popcorn!

Sushi144
March 11th, 2012, 06:51 PM
I use shea butter. I use it on my hair and on my hands. I also discovered it was good for the skin around my nose when I was having a cold ! Didn't use it as a lipbaum though because I already have a great one.