PDA

View Full Version : Itchy scalp, please help!

Ms Strangelove
December 27th, 2011, 04:14 AM
I cwc'd yesterday morning with conditioner and shampoo, both from natural cosmetic lines I've been using for 3 times now, without any problems. Yesterday was fine, today I awoke with irritated and slighty itching skin on my head... it even feels a little hot. The hair looks fine and I wear it up in a bun.

I doubt washing it again would be much appreciated by my skin...
I have never felt this and I hope it is going to stop during the remainder of the day.
Do you have advice on what to do or do you think I should just sit it out?

Thank you!

Roscata
December 27th, 2011, 05:14 AM
First off *big hugs*. It sounds like you're having a pretty scary reaction.

I suggest you go back to whatever you were using before because it sounds like you're having an allergic reaction to your new products. If you have any known allergies you should probably check the ingredient list, if not then just keep in mind what kind of ingredients these products have and try to figure out who's the culprit. Good luck! :)

Ms Strangelove
December 27th, 2011, 05:47 AM
Aw, thanks for the hug! I'm a bit put off this happens with the super-vegan, natural products I especially bought. So much for that. :D Thank you for your advice, I'll be sure to have an eye on this in the future...

Roscata
December 27th, 2011, 05:54 AM
You're very welcome! :)

coffinhert
December 27th, 2011, 05:57 AM
Does it have any ingredient like sodium lauryl sulfate, potassium lauryth sulfate, sodium lauryth solfonyl...? I am allergic to those things as are many people, and I have found them in a lot of all-natural vegan shampoos.

Ms Strangelove
December 27th, 2011, 06:19 AM
Does it have any ingredient like sodium lauryl sulfate, potassium lauryth sulfate, sodium lauryth solfonyl...?

Thank you for mentioning this... well, doesn't say exactly what you suggested.... I admit I have no clue...
These products were bought in Austria, so I don't know if you know them... I hope the ingredients are not named in a special german version...

shampoo:
from "lavera", applemilk-shampoo, vegan

Ingredients
Aqua, Sodium Coco Sulfate, Lauryl Glucoside, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Lauroyl Sarcosine, Coco Glucoside, Glycerin, Pyrus Malus (Apple) Fruit Extract, Hippophae Rhamnoides Extract, Avena Sativa Straw Extract, Triticum Vulgare Germ Extract, Panthenol, Panthenyl Ethyl Ether, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydroxypropyl Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Hydrogenated Lecithin, GlycolDistearate, Alcohol, Fragrance (Parfum).

conditioner:
from "alverde (natural cosmetics)", Aloe Vera Hibiskus für for dry and stressed hair, vegan, without silicones

Ingredients
Aqua, Alcohol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Glycerin, Gylcine Soja Oil, Myristil Alcohol, Sodium Lactate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Hibiscus Sabdariffa Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Gel, Lauroyl Sarcosine, Hydroxethylcellulose, Parfum, Linalook, Geraniol, Limonene, Citral.

Is there any way you guys find out what is actually inside your products?

coffinhert
December 27th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Here's a list of ingredients commonly found in shampoos
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/ingredients-commonly-found-in-hair-care-products
I avoid all anionic surfactants, that's the first category there. I think sodium coco sulfate would go in the first category. Try shampoo that doesn't have sulfates in it maybe? Trader Joe's has one for $3 that I really like. Or you could skim ingredients in the natural aisle at the store for sulfate anything.

Personally I haven't used shampoo for 7 months or so, conditioner only, and my scalp is much happier.

Ms Strangelove
December 27th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Thank you!

Next time I try a new routine, I will try CO, I'm curious how my hair will react...

coffinhert
December 27th, 2011, 11:01 AM
I found it works best for me when combined with vinegar. I put about as much vinegar as conditioner in my hair in the shower and lather it up otgether like shampoo.

Ms Strangelove
December 27th, 2011, 11:04 AM
interesting, would have never thought of that!
you're talking about balsamic vinegar or cider vinegar or...? do you just mix it in your hands? what does it do to the hair? :confused:

spidermom
December 27th, 2011, 11:06 AM
A diluted vinegar rinse may help. I use white vinegar, other people use apple cider vinegar. I would think that balsamic vinegar would leave a sticky residue.

Since any person can be allergic to any substance, natural vegan products are no guarantee against irritation. My daughter is strongly allergic to coconut and all it's derivatives. It's hard to find any shampoo or conditioner that doesn't have some form of it. She better off using strictly synthetic ingredients.

I hope you sort this out successfully and find products that you can use.

coffinhert
December 27th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Here is the vinegar thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=66002

Basically dilute vinegar restores your scalp's natural pH and makes your scalp less itchy, cures dandruff, makes your hair grow faster, and your hair shinier, and it washes your hair also. I have used kombucha vinegar, red wine vinegar, and raw apple cider vinegar successfully and others use white vinegar or tea (also acidic).

Ms Strangelove
December 27th, 2011, 11:11 AM
thank you spidermom and coffinhert! :)
Vinegar seems to be amazing... I 'll look into it!

Delila
December 27th, 2011, 11:27 AM
For what it's worth, putting conditioner on my scalp tends to make it itch.

I get along fine with the stuff so long as I keep it on my length.

Ms Strangelove
December 27th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Hm... the itching/burning is not getting better but even a little worse...:( I only have normal vinegar based on alcohol at home right now and shops are closed... the thread says apple vinegar is better but I hope this will work as well.
Will half-mix it with water and pour it over my head.... off to the shower.

spidermom
December 27th, 2011, 11:50 AM
I use about 1/2 tablespoon of vinegar in 2-3 quarts of water, otherwise my hair gets wildly fly-away. Oh, and conditioner on my scalp also makes it itch.

Ms Strangelove
December 27th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Ok, now I
1) rinsed my scalp with 1 cup vinegar, 2 cups water
2) put conditioner in the length
3) washed everything out
4) rinsed scalp and length again like 1)
3) washed everything with cold water

:(Don't feel much different, it's still slightly burning. The cold water felt good. Oh dear, hope this passes....

heidi w.
December 27th, 2011, 12:18 PM
First off *big hugs*. It sounds like you're having a pretty scary reaction.

I suggest you go back to whatever you were using before because it sounds like you're having an allergic reaction to your new products. If you have any known allergies you should probably check the ingredient list, if not then just keep in mind what kind of ingredients these products have and try to figure out who's the culprit. Good luck! :)

Also wash your pillowcase. Things applied to the hair, sebum and whatnot can rub off on pillowcases and be milling about.

I hope you didn't change a bunch of stuff at once. It becomes really hard to identify the problem when we change too much stuff all at once. The rule is one change at a time.

You may find some benefit from using a humidifier while you sleep at night. Indoor air is relatively dry right now, and causing a number of problems for people: dry skin, dry throat, dry eyes, dry hair..... it can offset the dryness a bit. But use filtered or distilled water, not tap water in your unit if you choose this option.

heidi w.

Ms Strangelove
December 27th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Thank you, heidi,

I'm afraid I did too. :o Changed both shampoo and conditioner at once. I already used it in combination though, about two times, nothing happened. So I'm not sure what's different now or what I've "done" this third time... quite bothering.

My plan now, is to stick to the same conditioner and leave away the shampoo. I'll see how that works.

jacqueline101
December 27th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Maybe you didn't get it rinsed out all the way. Maybe they changed their ingredients since the last time you bought it.