PDA

View Full Version : Finally !! Pic of my true hair color !!

UltraBella
December 27th, 2011, 01:00 AM
Do you get frustrated by pics of your hair ?
My hair usually photographs incredibly differently than it looks in real life. It usually photographs very red or warm, and much darker. I am naturally a blonde and this pic from Christmas morning shows it perfectly. And it was just a random snap shot ! Thank you, mom and dad, for having those big windows that let in all the morning sunlight :)
So, here's the picture proof that I really am a natural dark blonde. We were all sitting on the floor around the Christmas tree opening presents and I was modeling my pretty gifts of a ring and two necklaces.
Also, this shows my current length well. In mid May I cut back to BSL but my hair is determined to grow quickly. Since my hair is very layered, the longest bits are hanging down my back and unfortunately out of sight. And my bangs have grown so quickly that I have given up and will just let them grow out. I am tired of trimming them. Please, LHC friends, talk me out of them from now on..... I know I will get the urge to cut them in the near future and I am counting on all of you to plan an intervention on my behalf !

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/21fb0115.jpg

The difference between this pic and my avatar and sig pic is quite noticeable.

Juneii
December 27th, 2011, 01:08 AM
That is a huge difference UB, but you look great with either darker or lighter hair. Gorgeous ring btw!

Growing bangs out is a huge pain, you're lucky your hair grows so fast.

HoneyDrop
December 27th, 2011, 04:26 AM
Wow, you're so beautiful! The bangs look good pinned back! Don't cut them, or you'll have to start over again!

Mina17
December 27th, 2011, 04:54 AM
I would never have thought your hair was so light! The color is beautiful. My hair color is darker than yours but it often looks darker or redder in photos too. I'm growing out bangs again too. I always think it's a good idea at the time but they are a lot of maintenance with the styling and trimming they require.

Mayflower
December 27th, 2011, 05:10 AM
You and your hair are so beautiful! And I'm jealous of your fast growing hair:p

Katleen
December 27th, 2011, 05:23 AM
So beautiful!!!

oktobergoud
December 27th, 2011, 06:06 AM
Pfft why is your hair so amazing and pretty? Totally jealous! ;)

Humbug
December 27th, 2011, 07:22 AM
Your hair is absolutely stunning! I'm so unbelievably jealous!!

UltraBella
December 27th, 2011, 07:40 AM
Pfft why is your hair so amazing and pretty? Totally jealous! ;)

Lol, I was having a good hair morning :)
I will be totally honest, I sleep with my hair in a bun and sometimes when I get up and take my bun out, it's magic. This was one of those mornings ! I didn't brush my hair or anything, just shook out my bun and pinned my bangs back. I was still in my pajamas with no makeup on because my daughter is 16 and still gets very excited Christmas morning, she doesn't give us the chance to get dressed or anything, lol.

Taking my bun out is not always magic, sometimes it's a disaster and my hair is sticking out all weird and I have no choice other than to re-bun and move on with my day.........

Kelikea
December 27th, 2011, 07:45 AM
You look fantastic and I was really thinking that we needed to congratulate you on your engagement ring! Ok, so I guess not, but its an amazing ring, none the less.

Happy Holidays!

UltraBella
December 27th, 2011, 08:27 AM
You look fantastic and I was really thinking that we needed to congratulate you on your engagement ring! Ok, so I guess not, but its an amazing ring, none the less.

Happy Holidays!

I feel engaged all over again !! :eyebrows:

The reason for the ring is that I can not wear my engagement/wedding rings at work. They don't fit under my medical gloves. So, this ring is beautiful and very flat, so I can still be "married" at work. It's perfect !!

I have a close up pic of the ring and I thought about posting it, but it's not hair related.......

Zesty
December 27th, 2011, 08:52 AM
You and your hair look amazing in this picture! I like your "real" hair color, lol. My hair tends to photograph all different kinds of ways as well (it doesn't help that I usually take hair pictures in bathrooms). Sometimes it's so dark it looks black, other times it looks this reddish/gold-brown color. Really it's mostly just a medium brown with some natural highlights, but I have to admit that it can look different colors IRL also, depending on the lighting.

I would also love to see a close-up of the ring, it looks gorgeous!

Hollyfire3
December 27th, 2011, 09:04 AM
Wow Ultrabella, amazing just amazing, your hair is gorgeous, as are you! I would never have guessed your hair was soo blonde...lighteing is a funny thing, i have pictures were my dark chestnut hair looks fire engine red...looks like i had hennaed but i never have! Nice ring, by the way, is it an engagment ring? Oh sorry, just read above post, it isnt an engagment ring, just a sub for one, lol, still amazing!

MonaLisa
December 27th, 2011, 09:17 AM
That's very light! Beautiful color! I like both though...this and sig. pic :)
And yay for growing bangs! :D I prefered how you looked without! Your hair is truly gorgeous!
And so are you! What a smile! :)

juliaxena
December 27th, 2011, 09:18 AM
I like your natural color best and don't cut bangs!

savfairy
December 27th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Wow, beautiful hair!!! I've always wished I were a blonde. :)

spidermom
December 27th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Pretty color; similar to mine before it started to go silver, I think.

patienceneeded
December 27th, 2011, 09:54 AM
Beautiful color, no matter the lighting. Such a pretty smile too!

Springlets
December 27th, 2011, 10:36 AM
I think this is a picture of how dark blonde hair can still look very light in certain lighting. :) I imagine the color of your roots in the picture is how your hair looks without bright lighting. It's the same with mine and I too am frustrated by how different my hair looks in pictures. Yesterday I tried to capture my hair in a certain light and when I looked in a handheld mirror, it looked light and ashy and when I had taken the picture, it looked warm and dark. Cameras don't steal your soul- they steal your hair color apparently! ;)

UltraBella
December 27th, 2011, 10:49 AM
I would also love to see a close-up of the ring, it looks gorgeous!

Here it is !

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/2c858873.jpg

And here is my other gift, an antique necklace from my daughter. I am wearing it in the pic as well, along with another, longer necklace she got me.
This one is my favorite though :)

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/b6311c2f.jpg

xoxophelia
December 27th, 2011, 11:04 AM
My question is... how did you grow out your natural color so quickly? .. It was red not that long ago. I have been trying since I joined and it still around APLish :S.. hm oh well haha

UltraBella
December 27th, 2011, 11:16 AM
My question is... how did you grow out your natural color so quickly? .. It was red not that long ago. I have been trying since I joined and it still around APLish :S.. hm oh well haha

The last time I colored my hair red was over a year ago. I was using a Demi color, never permanent color. It stays really well on me, and it took a lot of clarifying shampoo over months and months, but it's all washed out now. I miss it sometimes.

invisiblebabe
December 27th, 2011, 11:29 AM
I love the hair and the jewelry!

ericthegreat
December 27th, 2011, 01:21 PM
THAT'S your natural hair color???!!!!!!

I'm officially COMPLETELY obsessed and in total ENVY of your hair. :D

You have the exact hair of my dreams: super thick, super strong, super fast growing, wavy but not too wavy, and now I see you are a natural ash blonde. I would kill to have your hair UltraBella!

jacqueline101
December 27th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Wow there is a huge difference in the color. I've noticed that my hair does that at times when I take photos. I do like your hair color its pretty.

dwell_in_safety
December 27th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Beautiful hair!

Mine has photographed almost blond in the past, though it is actually a 4-5 in value. Other times, it's photographed a very dark brown, almost black. It's all the lighting, and yes, it is annoying at times.

Lisa R
December 27th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Wow! Gorgeous hair and jewellery!:) Thanks for sharing... Love your natural colour. Stunning.

Zesty
December 27th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Here it is !

<snip>
Thank you for posting the pic even though "it isn't hair related." ;) I adore the ring, and the necklace is very pretty too. Lucky you!

Rocket22
December 27th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Soooooo Beautiful!!! I could only dream of hair growing that fast let alone being that thick! btw your nails looks fab too :)

Maelyssa
December 27th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Oh wow it really is quite a bit different! Still gorgeous though. :D

UltraBella
December 27th, 2011, 06:51 PM
THAT'S your natural hair color???!!!!!!

I'm officially COMPLETELY obsessed and in total ENVY of your hair. :D

You have the exact hair of my dreams: super thick, super strong, super fast growing, wavy but not too wavy, and now I see you are a natural ash blonde. I would kill to have your hair UltraBella!

Really ??? Thanks ! I'll be honest, after having it bright copper red for so long, it seems kinda plain and boring to me. When my roots first started growing in, not all the red had faded yet and it looked SO VERY UGLY, almost dark grey looking next to the copper. But now, I realize it's not an ugly color at all, but it's not vibrant either. Geesh, we always want what we don't have naturally......

Soooooo Beautiful!!! I could only dream of hair growing that fast let alone being that thick! btw your nails looks fab too :)

Thank you ! My nails have been a struggle. Quite a while ago I totally destroyed my natural nails with Axxium Soak Off gel polish. It was awful. Is taken a long time to get them back to being healthy and pretty. They are totally bare and natural at the moment, I love painting them but nail polish only lasts one or two days on me and it's frustrating. I wonder if it's because my hands are wearing medical gloves all day long, they get sweaty and maybe that's the reason my polish peels off. I need a nail polish expert to help me troubleshoot my own nail issues :)

silverjen
December 27th, 2011, 07:12 PM
I never get tired of seeing photos of your hair, no matter what the color. Thank you for sharing.

Don't cut those bangs! :-)

nakmom
December 27th, 2011, 07:24 PM
You have such gorgeous hair! I always stop and stare whenever I see a thread you posted on :o

beachgirlla
December 27th, 2011, 08:20 PM
Very beautiful face and hair, I could only dream to have the healthy hair of yours, I can not dream of length at this point, lol, after damaging my hair with permanent hair straighteners (have curly hair and hate it), hair extensions, chemical hair dyes, flat irons, hair dryer, geez, the list will never ends, lol :confused: :confused:

Both colors are beautiful on you, you have the type of the skin that can take both, however why I feel that you looked younger, playful with the reddish one, lol, your eyes in you sig showed that you were very happy and outgoing:joy:, the blonder/natural color shows you are more serious modelesque like?, strangely enough you look very beautiful with both.

I did not take any pictures this week as I took my extensions (they were waist long) out last Tuesday and started my grueling way to grow a healthy hair, I feel so ugly, crappy and down at the time being, it is so good to see all beautiful ladies pics here as it gives me some hope :)

Mommyof4
December 27th, 2011, 08:25 PM
Pretty :) I always photograph with a tan lol.. my skin is an alabaster, but in pictures, people always comment on my "tan"....

This is off topic, but your picture that you posted looked so much like Amy Acker to me!
Has anyone ever told you that you look like her?

http://www.amyackeronline.com/

Mommyof4
December 27th, 2011, 08:32 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=122106&albumid=9389&dl=1325043006&thumb=1

I'm a look-a-like fan :D I LOVE doing look a like comparisons. :o

kidari
December 27th, 2011, 08:32 PM
I can't believe how different the hair color is in that picture and your signature picture! I also cannot believe how incredibly fast your hair grows! It looks like it's past waist length.

Lostsoule77
December 27th, 2011, 08:39 PM
UltraBella I would've never guessed that was your natural color. Of course you look gorgeous either way! I still can't get over how quickly your hair grows. That ring is just gorgeous! I like the necklace too. Looks like you had a good Christmas. :)

Loviatar
December 27th, 2011, 08:44 PM
I did a double take, you look just like my friend Eugenie :)

Your hair is gorgeous, you have the same problem as I do though, my hair photographs very 'warm' all the time. I am medium ash brown and it always looks redder than it is.

I wish my nails looked as good as yours - I've wrecked mine with sulphates and a bad diet, plus I use them as tools. I found that 'wrapping' my top coat, Seche Vite, over the end of the nail and under the white part made my manicure last a full week, though. Sometimes longer.

Tia2010
December 27th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Wow! That's quite a difference! I really like your natural color (although the red color looked great too) ... And I can't believe how fast it grows...Lucky girl!! :D

Piyo
December 27th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Wonderful picture in so many ways. I LOVE your hair, and you look fabulous au natural (natural hair color and no make up). I wish that were my natural hair color.

holothuroidea
December 27th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Oh chameleon hair! It is frustrating, sometimes my hair photographs darker, too, but the difference in yours is very extreme.
ETA: I've found this is a characteristic of ashy hair colors. The golden parts of my hair that are lightened and warmed up from sunshine photograph the same no matter what, but the darker ashy winter growth can look medium blonde to medium brown depending on lighting.

Your hair is, as always, very beautiful and I can't believe it does that naturally. It is perfect hair. I think you should post a picture of a bad hair day so we know you are not an alien from the planet Fabulous.

And if you will permit me to say so, I think you look better without make up, or at least you did on Christmas morning. :)

UltraBella
December 27th, 2011, 10:23 PM
This is off topic, but your picture that you posted looked so much like Amy Acker to me!
Has anyone ever told you that you look like her?

http://www.amyackeronline.com/

No one has ever told me that before ! I showed the pic to my husband and he said he could see the resemblance.

I can't believe how different the hair color is in that picture and your signature picture! I also cannot believe how incredibly fast your hair grows! It looks like it's past waist length.

I think I am right at waist. I cut from TBL to BSL on May 14th and I really didn't intend to let it get this long but it seems to be determined to grow.

Your hair is, as always, very beautiful and I can't believe it does that naturally. It is perfect hair. I think you should post a picture of a bad hair day so we know you are not an alien from the planet Fabulous.

And if you will permit me to say so, I think you look better without make up, or at least you did on Christmas morning. :)

If you want a bad hair pic, I am sure I can come up with one !

I really don't look that different with makeup and without, but I prefer a bit of mascara, my lashes are hard to see otherwise. I have a very soft permanent eyeliner and a permanent brow fill, so I am wearing makeup even when I am not wearing makeup ;)

ETA : Here is the bad hair pic as requested !!!! This was a morning when I took my bun out and magic DID NOT happen, lol.

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/47cd7cec.jpg

ravenreed
December 27th, 2011, 10:56 PM
Aw, that is an adorable bad hair pic. I hate bad hair days. I seem to have them quite often. I wish I felt prettier with all my hair pulled back. Bleh.

HintOfMint
December 27th, 2011, 11:02 PM
Oh chameleon hair! It is frustrating, sometimes my hair photographs darker, too, but the difference in yours is very extreme.
ETA: I've found this is a characteristic of ashy hair colors. The golden parts of my hair that are lightened and warmed up from sunshine photograph the same no matter what, but the darker ashy winter growth can look medium blonde to medium brown depending on lighting.

Nah, still an alien from Planet Fabulous :)

Ultrabella, your hair looks gorgeous in both lightings!

UltraBella
December 27th, 2011, 11:51 PM
Nah, still an alien from Planet Fabulous :)

Ultrabella, your hair looks gorgeous in both lightings!

Lol, thanks !

My bad hair pic was taken in our spare bathroom and the lighting is very poor. It's not true to color in that pic at all. Oh well.......

Egana
December 27th, 2011, 11:51 PM
Lol, I was having a good hair morning :)
I will be totally honest, I sleep with my hair in a bun and sometimes when I get up and take my bun out, it's magic. This was one of those mornings ! I didn't brush my hair or anything, just shook out my bun and pinned my bangs back. I was still in my pajamas with no makeup on because my daughter is 16 and still gets very excited Christmas morning, she doesn't give us the chance to get dressed or anything, lol.

Taking my bun out is not always magic, sometimes it's a disaster and my hair is sticking out all weird and I have no choice other than to re-bun and move on with my day.........

yep - sometimes the magic is there, and I can stroll through my day, and other times the magic is out to lunch, and I have to work harder to look fantastic!

Thankfully, there is no poparazzi (sp?) hounding me, taking all manner of unflattering photos - when I am looking well, THAT'S when the camera comes out! *grin*

Congratulations on a photo that is more true to life, representing your beautiful coloring!

aisling
December 27th, 2011, 11:53 PM
OK, this isn't totally KNIT, because it isn't kind, but it's necessary, informative and true. UltraBella, these kind of "look at me, look at me!" posts has traditionally belonged to the blogs here on LHC, no need to clog the Mane Board with these kind of things. This according to me and probably a bunch of more long time members. Seriously, you should give blogging a thought because this is not what the Mane Board is for, but of course, that might give you a more limited audience.

UltraBella
December 28th, 2011, 12:04 AM
OK, this isn't totally KNIT, because it isn't kind, but it's necessary, informative and true. UltraBella, these kind of "look at me, look at me!" posts has traditionally belonged to the blogs here on LHC, no need to clog the Mane Board with these kind of things. This according to me and probably a bunch of more long time members. Seriously, you should give blogging a thought because this is not what the Mane Board is for, but of course, that might give you a more limited audience.

I see many threads all the time about hair color, so why is it that MINE seems to bother you so much ? There are "look at me" posts daily, because we are all here sharing our hair and learning from each other. I was excited to finally have a pic of my true color, which has been a work in progress for some time. I don't start new threads about my hair daily, weekly, or even monthly. I go long spurts without any at all, but you feel the need to single me out ?
No, it wasn't necessary at all. And it certainly wasn't kind. I don't want to blog. I want to share here, in the Mane forum. You and the bunch of long time members who have an issue are free to just not click on my threads if I am such a bother. :rolleyes:

kidari
December 28th, 2011, 12:11 AM
^^ awww I disagree with her post, I really enjoy posts like these, especially yours Ultrabella among a few others that I adore reading whenever they post

your posts and theirs, whether they are "look at me" or not, are part of what I love about being part of the LHC so I hope you keep posting

Tia2010
December 28th, 2011, 12:20 AM

Wow. Harsh... :(

Loviatar
December 28th, 2011, 12:35 AM
Whereas I think there certainly is room for more people to blog (but that's because I love reading blogs), especially about more ordinary things like 'I had a good/bad salon experience', 'I dyed my roots', 'I tried Vitamin X for the first time', etc, I think this post was more of a one-off - UltraBella doesn't usually or regularly post big photo threads, and I don't see why she should be told she needs to blog about it when there are far more obvious threads to pick up on.

As someone who has a similar problem with hair colour in photos, if I got a great picture of my natural colour, I'd probably post it on the Mane board too.

UltraBella, if you did start a blog, I'd be a keen reader.

Oh, and I'm a long term member, too, we don't all think the same way.

Annibelle
December 28th, 2011, 12:36 AM
I understand where aisling is coming from, but most of us DO do these "look at me posts." (I've done it before, and got a lot of helpful feedback from it!) I think it's just more obvious when UltraBella does it because her posts tend to get many responses. Most of us aren't as pretty and popular as she is, so I guess it just doesn't garner a lot of attention when we do it. :shrug: I was hesitant to do a post about myself before, as I was afraid it would seem too "look at me"-ish, but then I got over it and decided that part of the fun of the forum was to put yourself out there and get some honest feedback. :) I think UltraBella is brave for being willing to put herself out there like that over a fun topic that might be considered more "trivial" than others (like a major cut or something). :twocents:

ericthegreat
December 28th, 2011, 12:47 AM
OK, this isn't totally KNIT, because it isn't kind, but it's necessary, informative and true.

No, its absolutely rude, UNnecessary, UNiformative and absolutely NOT true. The only thing true about your post is that its your opinion, and an unpopular one at that. Have a nice day. :)

MonaLisa
December 28th, 2011, 01:01 AM
Eric couldn't have said it better!
Ultrabella is hair inspiration/idol for so many, a stylist and a wonderful person from all I can see. I enjoy her posts and her threads and her pictures, as does majority here I dare say!

Now, I'm not long time member here, but I don't have habbit of reading blogs.. it's not a must..is it?
I'd be sad if many threads were moved to blogs....

I really dislike the 'tone' in your post aisling....:(

UltraBella
December 28th, 2011, 01:16 AM
Just so no one is confused as to my intentions : I like sharing photos and I like looking at other members photos. It's something I enjoy. If I am going to take the time to upload pics, darn right I am going to share them. Why wouldn't I put a pic of my hair on a hair forum ? I am currently on Christmas vacation and I find myself on LHC non-stop. Sorry, but I am bound to post a pic or two. I LIKE IT.

I was tickled to get a good photo of my hair color because it's currently the ONLY accurate one I have. The fact that it was just a random snapshot by my husband, who was trying to photo document Christmas morning excitement, was even more surprising when I saw the pic that evening. He usually takes the worst photos EVER. Yes, I got pretty jewelry for Christmas, shame on me.

The last time I posted a thread with pictures on the mane forum was the end of November and I asked other members if their children received their hair gene and if so, were they happy about it. I, frankly, think I have pretty awesome hair genes and my daughter is currently trying to grow her hair long and she is doing a great job and wanted me to post pics, so I did. I won't let her have her own account for reasons just like this. Some random cranky jerk decides to try to burst someone's bubble or put them in their place. I get a bit of a kick out of it, but my daughter would be crushed. And honestly, if you post something that rude here and try to censor another member, I consider that a bit of attention whoring in it's own right.

I recently posted several threads, with pics, on the friendship board about an animal rescue we were involved in, and then an update. Pics of dogs and adorable puppies. Sorry, but if you don't like those, there is something wrong with you.

I posted HUGE pics of my vacation, because it was a bit different than most vacations and it was VERY exciting for me. A dream vacation. Many many members asked me to post pics and I happily did.

I am sharing parts of myself when I post ~ whether I include pics or not, whether it seems trivial to some or not, whether it seems like attention wanting or not, I don't care. You can easily not read them. I will continue enjoying this forum as I have been, regardless of the amount of "attention" I get.

woolyleprechaun
December 28th, 2011, 01:30 AM
I cant cope with such beauty, I have to go away and cry in a corner somewhere:p Wow, you and your hair are lovely:heartbeat

Maddy_T
December 28th, 2011, 02:49 AM
You literally have my DREAM hair, was lurking your pics and wanted to cry! UNFAIR.

Anyway, my hair does exactly the same, I think it has something to do with the flash. I have what I would describe as dark blonde/light golden brown and my hair looks that way in non-flash/natural light pics but then if i'm inside and there's flash it turns up a strange mid-warm brown, how weird. :/

Maddy_T
December 28th, 2011, 03:02 AM
No, its absolutely rude, UNnecessary, UNiformative and absolutely NOT true. The only thing true about your post is that its your opinion, and an unpopular one at that. Have a nice day. :)

P.S ^^ Eric's answer said it all. If you don't want to look at pictures of someone's lovely hair or read their story, then don't bother opening the thread. Saying something nasty on a perfectly interesting/relevant post was just COMPLETELY unnecessary.

Stagecoach
December 28th, 2011, 05:12 AM
The only 'nasty' comments have been people who were offended at Aislings post. I'd ask THEM to take a look at the KNIT rules.

She posted a very simple observation about a trend she saw. The blogs are there for a reason. Perhaps we can disagree as to what that reason is, but no need for name calling. So far I've seen "Rude" "Unkind" and "Random Jerk" used to refer to her.

MonaLisa
December 28th, 2011, 05:21 AM
She could have blogged the observation.

Celebrian
December 28th, 2011, 05:54 AM
I think you look good in all the photo's - both richly colored and cooler blonde - but I actually prefer the 'cooler blonde' pic. which you say is closer to what you are! :D

coffinhert
December 28th, 2011, 06:15 AM
Someone told me the other day that I should blog my post instead of starting a thread. I was like "Ok, I have never blogged anything on here before... Or read a blog... Didn't realize there were rules I HAD to blog certain topics." Also I have had three separate threads insulted for having "inflammatory titles" as though I specifically pick titles just to rile people up??

Apparently there is a whole thread of "Look at me" lolcats DIRECTED at people who "don't even know they're the target of the teasing." I read that comment in there and got a chill like, are they talking about ME behind my back?? What is wrong with everyone? CHILL OUT. This is a HAIR forum. We post pictures of our HAIR.

Here's a good one:

If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.

FWIW, I find it personally impressive that UltraBella has very long undyed hair, and it's cool to see pictures of it. I wish my hair was all natural color. I always check out natural hair out in public because I find it's interesting. Same here.

My favorite posts are LHC anniversary posts, where someone posts their before picture, and then where their hair is now. Yeah it's a "Look at me" post but that's what I'm here for. I can't wait for my one year to post my own "look at me" progress post.

holothuroidea
December 28th, 2011, 06:55 AM
Well this thread turned from very positive to very negative very fast.

I wonder how Aisling feels about that, she hasn't posted since. :( I don't think it was her intention. Maybe she could work on how she words things, or maybe she could out of respect for other people's threads and feelings post these sort of comments as private messages instead of singling out people publicly.

I personally don't mind that some people post "Look at me!" threads. Live and let live. Or, post and let post.

UltraBella
December 28th, 2011, 07:47 AM
Someone told me the other day that I should blog my post instead of starting a thread. I was like "Ok, I have never blogged anything on here before... Or read a blog... Didn't realize there were rules I HAD to blog certain topics." Also I have had three separate threads insulted for having "inflammatory titles" as though I specifically pick titles just to rile people up??

Apparently there is a whole thread of "Look at me" lolcats DIRECTED at people who "don't even know they're the target of the teasing." I read that comment in there and got a chill like, are they talking about ME behind my back?? What is wrong with everyone? CHILL OUT. This is a HAIR forum. We post pictures of our HAIR.

Here's a good one:

If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.

FWIW, I find it personally impressive that UltraBella has very long undyed hair, and it's cool to see pictures of it. I wish my hair was all natural color. I always check out natural hair out in public because I find it's interesting. Same here.

My favorite posts are LHC anniversary posts, where someone posts their before picture, and then where their hair is now. Yeah it's a "Look at me" post but that's what I'm here for. I can't wait for my one year to post my own "look at me" progress post.

Your thread and what happened on it really surprised me. It was pretty awful.

The lolcats thread started by krissykins was never intended to be directed at anyone, she is a sweetheart and it's a shame that it was used as a vehicle, by a very few, to make fun of other members. It was not her intention. I like the thread, regardless of that one small undertone that made me wonder who was being referred to. Someone took it upon themselves to send me a message and tell me it was about me, but I STILL like the thread, it's fun and really cute to read and I love the pics.

As for my hair : does a Demi color count as undyed once it washes out ? It's an interesting topic because it *IS* hair color and it does have a light peroxide developer. Yet it eventually washes out and it doesn't not permanent alter your natural color underneath. (Unless you dye your light blonde hair black or something like that, then all bets are off.)

TO EVERYONE ELSE: Thank you for the support. I would never want any member here to feel like they can not start their own thread or post pictures for fear of someone pointing them out as attention seeking. I don't think it's a fair representation of this community as a whole by any means.

justgreen
December 28th, 2011, 07:52 AM

Ok, valid points. But why should she not be allowed to do what most of the newbies do who don't even have friends and refuse to blog? And this was a hair post on the mane board, not one clogging up the off topic board and taking up bandwidth. THIS IS A HAIR BOARD.

Yay for speaking your mind, Aisling , but a big BOO for having pissy wording.

Heck if I finally got a TRUE picture of the color of my hair, you can be sure I'd be starting me a new thread because even with as many friends as I have, I'd still want folks to see that you CAN have bleached hair and have it long and healthy. So Rock On UltraBella!

Mayflower
December 28th, 2011, 08:23 AM
Well, UltraBella has incredible hair and yes, she obviously knows it, but if I had hair like hers I would post pictures too.
Aisling was most likely telling this specifically to UltraBella because, even though there are a LOT of picture-look at me!!-threads (mostly about hairproblems though) UB is posting pictures because she is happy with how her hairs looks. There are so many other threads filled with hairpictures, but they're okay just because it's mostly from people who aren't happy with their hair, have a problem or want opinions and solutions?
I think it's great to see threads about people who are happy and love their hair. And I think most of the time it's quite obvious that those threads get a lot less comments than 'sad' threads -those always have many many posts saying "Don't be so harsh on yourself, your hair is beautiful!". While I think we should appreciate threads like these, because they're positive.

English is not my native language, so I'm propably not making my point in an understandable way haha, I'm sorry for that.
But, I would also like to say that some of the comments towards Aisling are MORE rude than hers and I think people should either 'stand above it' and let it go, or appreciate that that's her opinion, maybe say something about the tone/her wordings, but don't call her names.

UltraBella
December 28th, 2011, 08:29 AM
Well, UltraBella has incredible hair and yes, she obviously knows it, but if I had hair like hers I would post pictures too.
Aisling was most likely telling this specifically to UltraBella because, even though there are a LOT of picture-look at me!!-threads (mostly about hairproblems though) UB is posting pictures because she is happy with how her hairs looks. There are so many other threads filled with hairpictures, but they're okay just because it's mostly from people who aren't happy with their hair, have a problem or want opinions and solutions?
I think it's great to see threads about people who are happy and love their hair. And I think most of the time it's quite obvious that those threads get a lot less comments than 'sad' threads -those always have many many posts saying "Don't be so harsh on yourself, your hair is beautiful!". While I think we should appreciate threads like these, because they're positive.

English is not my native language, so I'm propably not making my point in an understandable way haha, I'm sorry for that.
But, I would also like to say that some of the comments towards Aisling are MORE rude than hers and I think people should either 'stand above it' and let it go, or appreciate that that's her opinion, maybe say something about the tone/her wordings, but don't call her names.

Your post was perfectly understandable and you SHOULD be making a thread with pics of your hair, your hair is AWESOME !!! I would love to see many pictures of it :)

Annibelle
December 28th, 2011, 08:33 AM

I think you're making a great point! I think another thing that MIGHT seem "attention whoring" is that whenever UB posts a thread, whether this is her intention or not, people have a way of telling her how gol-darn beautiful she is. Many of these comments, for example, comment not only on UB's beautiful hair, but on her beautiful face, as well. I guess that anytime someone receives so much positive feedback, whether they ask for it or not, it can SEEM a bit "look at me." I'm not at all saying that's UB's intention when she posts threads that show her face. All I know is that if someone with plainer features (ahem, like most of the rest of us) posted something showing our hair and faces, we wouldn't have to worry about being called attention whores because we just aren't as pretty and we just don't have UB's "good hair genes." :shrug: So, yes, I completely agree with you. :)

Mayflower
December 28th, 2011, 08:44 AM
Your post was perfectly understandable and you SHOULD be making a thread with pics of your hair, your hair is AWESOME !!! I would love to see many pictures of it :)
Aw that's so sweet, thank you very much! I will certainly make a LHC-birthday thread when time comes!

Mayflower
December 28th, 2011, 08:49 AM
I think you're making a great point! I think another thing that MIGHT seem "attention whoring" is that whenever UB posts a thread, whether this is her intention or not, people have a way of telling her how gol-darn beautiful she is. Many of these comments, for example, comment not only on UB's beautiful hair, but on her beautiful face, as well. I guess that anytime someone receives so much positive feedback, whether they ask for it or not, it can SEEM a bit "look at me." I'm not at all saying that's UB's intention when she posts threads that show her face. All I know is that if someone with plainer features (ahem, like most of the rest of us) posted something showing our hair and faces, we wouldn't have to worry about being called attention whores because we just aren't as pretty and we just don't have UB's "good hair genes." :shrug: So, yes, I completely agree with you. :)

EXACTLY! Very well put. I can see why people would think that, but it's obviously not her fault she gets way more compliments than others haha. I think it's great. If UB would only come here to post pictures etc., that would be another case, but she always takes the time to use her knowledge as a hairstylist to help people with whatever hairproblem they may have, so I would hate to see her come here less often because of that painfull comment.

getoffmyskittle
December 28th, 2011, 09:34 AM
UltraBella, I'd love it if you started a blog, just because I (selfishly) want to see your hair knowledge and "I don't give a fuh" attitude condensed into one place so it's easy for me to find it and read it linearly. ;)

But if you're not interested, I guess I'll just have to ooh and ahh over your so-called "look at me" threads... which are totally on-topic and relevant considering that this is a hair and beauty board. :lol:

And I've been here for 7 years -- so no, not all "longterm members" agree that these threads are attention whoring or out of place.

Rocket22
December 28th, 2011, 09:43 AM
Umm what else do you post in a hair forum but hair related threads and pictures? I love posts even more when they have pictures attached (if it's something I'm not interested in I just won't post or go there) Please don't let it stop you from posting more pictures. You can't help it that your hair is perfect and you have a beautiful face too. :) I never read the blogs so hopefully people will continue to post here.

manderly
December 28th, 2011, 09:56 AM

Actually, aisling's opinion is quite popular. We just keep silent to avoid being modslapped or attacked by the membership.

There are more members that will not bother to chime in that would truly appreciate if posts such as this find their way to the blogs.

UltraBella
December 28th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Actually, aisling's opinion is quite popular. We just keep silent to avoid being modslapped or attacked by the membership.

There are more members that will not bother to chime in that would truly appreciate if posts such as this find their way to the blogs.

So, no threads and pics excited about capturing natural hair color for the first time, huh ? What exactly should we be posting here in the mane forum ?

HintOfMint
December 28th, 2011, 10:04 AM

Hear, hear!
She's absolutely lovely and so her posts get a good bit more attention. Clearly not her fault, she should be able to come here to celebrate something the way everyone else does. I've celebrated a great haircut and not one person called me out on it. I've only received nice comments.

Also, I thought this was a place that you could go to share good (and bad) news about your hair. Are we all attention whores unless we're bitching and moaning about split ends?

ravenreed
December 28th, 2011, 10:11 AM
I don't read the blogs. I personally would be quite sad if all the interesting posts on LHC disappeared off the forums. I am sure that I am not alone.

Maktub
December 28th, 2011, 10:11 AM
My personnal opinion is that personnal threads with pictures of hair are among the most interesting to read.

"Help me solve this problem" threads
"It's my hair anniversary" threads
"I love my hair" threads
"I hate my hair threads"
"I colored / hennaed my hair" threads
"I'm going WO" threads
"Look at my wedding hair" threads
"Look at my new updo" threads

etc. ETC !

When there are pictures, and it's hair related, those are my favorite threads. And in my view, I like them on the mane board. (of course, I love articles and analysis and other kinds of threads too... but I love "illustrated threads"... guess that's the visual part of me)

UltraBella is beautiful, her hair is too, but she is in no way the only one on this board !!! There are MANY MANY among you who have hair (- and face - and body - and personnality - whatever)... that is as much to die for, and I won't name anyone, but I love seeing all your pictures and stories... AS WELL as those who are starting to see improvement after taking better care of their hair and want to share that. This is inspirational too. And those who faced disasters... that's informative and great too !

And well, pictures are always so much fun, I find.

I love that the mane forum is all of that. But that's only my very personnal opinion. :grouphug:

NiAosSi
December 28th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Man, all I saw was that ring! HUZZAH!

Very pretty hair. I've been thinking about layering my hair because it's gotten way too flat.

Altocumulus
December 28th, 2011, 10:28 AM
UltraBella, I'd love it if you started a blog, just because I (selfishly) want to see your hair knowledge and "I don't give a fuh" attitude condensed into one place so it's easy for me to find it and read it linearly. ;)

But if you're not interested, I guess I'll just have to ooh and ahh over your so-called "look at me" threads... which are totally on-topic and relevant considering that this is a hair and beauty board. :lol:

And I've been here for 7 years -- so no, not all "longterm members" agree that these threads are attention whoring or out of place.

I agree with everything Skitts said here. Also, what do people think are appropriate topics for the Mane Board? Not asking to be snarky - I genuinely think people have vastly different ideas, and it might be informative to hear what they are.

Ultrabella, your hair is gorgeous as always. My hair color is similar, and I understand how hard it is to get an accurate color photo! For instance, my siggy is half henna and half natural, but they look almost the same in the photo.

NiAosSi
December 28th, 2011, 10:34 AM
People get mad because she has beautiful hair and good genes?

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff74/zentientbeing/hater.jpg

I, for one, am sick of all the other posts and it's refreshing to see a post where someone is posting about hair! :bigeyes:

It's not a crime to be beautiful and know it, or even for other people to comment on it. Envy comes to mind.

justgreen
December 28th, 2011, 10:50 AM
I don't read the blogs. I personally would be quite sad if all the interesting posts on LHC disappeared off the forums. I am sure that I am not alone.

You see, that's where the problem begins. I , myself , would like to see the off- topic boards reduced . But the Mane forum? That's where stuff like this goes. We are a HAIR board. The off topic forum is a side thingy, and it's there where all the problems (98%) begin.

Also the blogs help us get to know one another much easier and faster. We've been tricked so many times by trolls that a lot of us are very wary of new posters who jump right into the off- topic forum. Or who come on here and say "let's see pics of *specific* buns or updo's". We are used to putting our pics in albums and the right must be earned through time and posting to be able to see pics.

UltraBella is a very busy person, she's a mom, a wife and runs two(?) businesses. I can see why she doesn't have a blog. She posts when she is able.

Miriela
December 28th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Personally, I'm of the opinion that a thread is for a discussion or an answer to a question. Threads like this pose no question and are (or appear to be) at least primarily posted for the purpose of receiving attention, but I do understand that threads like this come up. Anniversary threads are the best example of this, but I think this sort of thread should be the exception rather than the rule. I wouldn't be bothered in the slightest by a thread asking for advice on how to get a color accurate photograph or even a thread spontaneously giving such advice, but this doesn't really do either. I'm not horribly bothered by the thread, but I do think it would serve better as a blog post.

With that said, I'm very glad you've been able to get a good picture of your hair color, UltraBella. I nearly always take length pictures outdoors because when I take them inside, the off-white peachy color of my walls confuses the white balance of my camera and everything ends up extremely yellow. In the background of your sig pic, I can see the walls look dark(er than straight white), so I kind of assumed you had a bit of the same thing going on. I still wasn't quite sure what your color was, though, and it's lovely to see.

Maktub
December 28th, 2011, 11:04 AM
I wouldn't be bothered in the slightest by a thread asking for advice on how to get a color accurate photograph or even a thread spontaneously giving such advice.

I also agree it could have been phrased this way, and served us all in learning how to take color accurate pictures of our hair. But, I'm still not really bothered by threads like this in anyway. If I don't find a thread interesting, I simply don't read it. It's internet, not like having to "be nice" listen to a aunt chat hours about something really boring at a familly reunion... it's easy to click somewhere else :)

BrightEyes7
December 28th, 2011, 11:10 AM
You look so beautiful no matter what color!

And as far as the bangs go, you don't need them! I only think people who have to have bangs should have them. You have a nice forehead and hairline... so stop cutting the bangs! LOL

Miriela
December 28th, 2011, 11:12 AM
If I don't find a thread interesting, I simply don't read it. It's internet, not like having to "be nice" listen to a aunt chat hours about something really boring at a familly reunion... it's easy to click somewhere else :)
Oh, I agree. And I rarely post in this part of the board. I was just sniffing around for some early morning controversy... ;) I'm kidding. I've been distilling my thoughts on the purpose of a thread vs. blog post anyway, and I thought this was a reasonable place to put it, because a couple of people asked.

NiAosSi
December 28th, 2011, 11:16 AM
I think it should not be a common occurrence from the same poster. Once or twice every few months is fine. I like to ogle at pretty hair.

hendricks82
December 28th, 2011, 11:23 AM
I like to see the "look at me" posts. It is encouraging to see the confidence and pride women can have in their hair. Besides, what fun would the forum be if it were all business?? Some times friends just share. When I get something new and neat I tell my friends about it. When I discover a new cool thing about my hair I would want to share here. When I finally get my hair twisted into some complicated style... be ready cause I'm gonna post a pic!

I love seeing others pics and hope that people continue to post

UltraBella
December 28th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Personally, I'm of the opinion that a thread is for a discussion or an answer to a question. Threads like this pose no question and are (or appear to be) at least primarily posted for the purpose of receiving attention, but I do understand that threads like this come up.

The very first sentence of my post is a question, I wanted to know if others had the same issue as I do. I didn't have one single pic on here that represented my true hair color, until this pic, and it bugged me that I was unable to capture it accurately.
Yes, I wanted attention, but not in a bad way. I just wanted to share. I have been posting for quite some time that I was back to my blonde, but I didn't have any pics to show it. Several members asked me to post one quite a while ago on another thread, so when I randomly ended up with a nearly perfect one, I was excited to post it. I don't think there is a single thing wrong with that.
I would like tips as to how to get more accurate photos, that naturally tends to evolve on a thread where several people have the same issue and hopefully someone has some suggestions for the rest of us. It is nearly impossible to get a good outdoor shot, I seem to live in the windiest place on earth.

As for anniversary posts, I think they are awesome and should practically be required :)

lapushka
December 28th, 2011, 11:58 AM
So is everyone introducing themselves on the newbie forum an attention wh*re also, I wonder? If everything about yourself needs to be a blog post, we'd barely have threads left IMO.

Lexy
December 28th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Speaking as a mod:

This problem is easily solved in this manner: If you don't like certain threads, don't read them. There is no reason at all that people who are irritated by "look at me" threads, or threads about children, or threads about the merits of stinky cheese, should read them or participate in them. Usually it is clear from the title of the thread what it is about. If you see a title that seems likely to be uninteresting or irritating to you, don't click on it.

If you DO click on it, that was your decision and there is absolutely no reason for you to take your displeasure out on the people who were enjoying the thread. That is just mean.

invisiblebabe
December 28th, 2011, 01:33 PM
The very first sentence of my post is a question, I wanted to know if others had the same issue as I do. I didn't have one single pic on here that represented my true hair color, until this pic, and it bugged me that I was unable to capture it accurately.
Yes, I wanted attention, but not in a bad way. I just wanted to share. I have been posting for quite some time that I was back to my blonde, but I didn't have any pics to show it. Several members asked me to post one quite a while ago on another thread, so when I randomly ended up with a nearly perfect one, I was excited to post it. I don't think there is a single thing wrong with that.
I would like tips as to how to get more accurate photos, that naturally tends to evolve on a thread where several people have the same issue and hopefully someone has some suggestions for the rest of us. It is nearly impossible to get a good outdoor shot, I seem to live in the windiest place on earth.

As for anniversary posts, I think they are awesome and should practically be required :)

I like your posts :D

My hair is naturally a dark ash blonde also (maybe ashier than yours? not sure, I lighten it which also makes it more golden). It photographs all sorts of colors, depending on the lighting. My guess is that is pretty common with dark blonde hair.

Lianna
December 28th, 2011, 01:43 PM
I think it's great that you managed to take such a photo! I haven't so far, close but not 100&#37;. For some of us with dyed or just blonde/blonette hair that is an issue and a goal. The OP herself said she worked toward this for months! This thread is no different than "I reached my goal of waist/tb" threads, or I just grew out my natural color thread (which is a goal for lots here).

I'm here 2 years and I haven't blogged, isn't mandatory. This is a hair board, the Mane Forum is perfect for such posts. We are not here just to ask advice on damaged hair, we are here to celebrate hair aswell.

Mommyof4
December 28th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Speaking as a mod:

This problem is easily solved in this manner: If you don't like certain threads, don't read them. There is no reason at all that people who are irritated by "look at me" threads, or threads about children, or threads about the merits of stinky cheese, should read them or participate in them. Usually it is clear from the title of the thread what it is about. If you see a title that seems likely to be uninteresting or irritating to you, don't click on it.

If you DO click on it, that was your decision and there is absolutely no reason for you to take your displeasure out on the people who were enjoying the thread. That is just mean.

:D I wish there was a "like" button!

Maktub
December 28th, 2011, 02:04 PM
:D I wish there was a "like" button!

Me too, well said !

UltraBella
December 28th, 2011, 02:07 PM
I think it's great that you managed to take such a photo! I haven't so far, close but not 100%. For some of us with dyed or just blonde/blonette hair that is an issue and a goal. The OP herself said she worked toward this for months! This thread is no different than "I reached my goal of waist/tb" threads, or I just grew out my natural color thread (which is a goal for lots here).

I'm here 2 years and I haven't blogged, isn't mandatory. This is a hair board, the Mane Forum is perfect for such posts. We are not here just to ask advice on damaged hair, we are here to celebrate hair aswell.

I think I was even more excited because it was just a random snapshot. Last week I was SURE I was going to get a good pic, because we had a photo booth set up for my daughter's birthday party and the lighting was professional, but my hair looks more red than ever in those pics. What the heck ?! Everyone else looked normal. So this pic was a nice surprise :)

BrightEyes7
December 28th, 2011, 02:08 PM

I find it interesting that there are members who don't like these kind of threads yet read through 8 pages of replies to post something rude.

I think UB did nothing wrong with posting this thread and I'd be pretty mad at her if she stopped starting threads! I think a big part of this forum is to not only seek advice and answers, but for the long time or more experienced members to provide 'INSPIRATION' for other newer members who are just starting their hair journey. Personally I love all of UB's threads because they inspire me to grow my hair. And I know for a fact that I am not alone in this opinion. There are already 10 pages of mostly positive comments, with a few exceptions. So I really don't think "this should be in the blogs" is the popular opinion.

If UB had reached a milestone of another sort, one that the 'long time members' find suitable, I don't think there would have been any issues for her 'look at me' thread.

Maktub
December 28th, 2011, 02:15 PM
About the photography, do you think the 100 &#37; natural lighting (without direct sunlight) did the trick ?

teela1978
December 28th, 2011, 02:15 PM

I understand what you were trying to do... I think... but largely, your thread really does come across as "look at how awesome my hair is today". Which in my mind would be better in a blog (daily/weekly hair updates seem more blog-like than mane-forum-like. The annual, "look, my hair grew a lot in a year" ones I think do belong on the mane forum... go figure, I have weird criteria).

Which is kinda sad, because it is a neat topic. I'm sure many members have trouble capturing their true color on camera (I know I do). This thread isn't titled "Pic of true hair color... is it possible? Anyone else ever acheive it?!?!" and then followed by "Anyone else have photos of their hair with drastically different colors?" which would have been a lovely interactive thread. Its "Finally !! Pic of my true hair color !!". Do you see the difference that I think a lot of us are seeing? The language used is very exclusionary to discussing anybody's hair but your own. I would feel uncomfortable posting a few pictures of my hair looking extra dark/red/etc... because the OP really isn't looking for that. Its celebrating one picture, not discussing an issue that many members probably have experienced.

And I don't mean to pick on you, but I can see where many other members are coming from.

In2wishin
December 28th, 2011, 02:22 PM
For those who are saying that we need to say things like UB did in blogs: why????

I don't read blogs and I don't write blogs. I think that writing that much about yourself is the ultimate in narcissism (aka "look at me") and there just isn't that much that needs to be said. The threads are better because most, unfortunately not all, keep it short and sweet and you reach more people.

If you want to keep a diary in a blog, that is different,that is intended to be a daily or weekly accounting of what you are doing. A one-off like "I finally got a picture of my true hair color" is exactly what I expect to see on the "Mane Forum".

Cania
December 28th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Good grief, there's been so much hating going on in the boards recently, where has all of this come from all of a sudden?! I was under the impression that forums were here for people with a common interest to socialize, kinda like a club with open membership.
As long as the thread is relevant to the section it's posted in, what's the problem? If it's not something that interests you, don't click. If it's going to upset you, don't click.

I joined this forum because it seemed friendly, full of kind and mature people. But recently, there's been so much negativity going around. I've also noticed people tossing around the notion of "old" members and "newbies", as if how long we've been here is relevant - which in my opinion, it shouldn't be. That kind of language just excludes people, often unfairly.

If we have to post certain things in blogs rather than the forums, I'm sure the mods would post an up to date guideline of what should go where.

UB, I love your hair, and I'd never realised that your pics didn't show your true hair colour. Thanks for sharing!

Lianna
December 28th, 2011, 02:33 PM
The annual, "look, my hair grew a lot in a year" ones I think do belong on the mane forum... go figure, I have weird criteria).

She was working to get her natural color back, this isn't just any good hair day shot. It looks very different from her old photos in her album. It's a significant change, why can't we share that in the Mane Forum? Some people even share 2cm trims (which is great to see that salons don't all chop your hair).

coffinhert
December 28th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Cania you're right there has been a lot of negativity. I've been lurking here almost a year before joining and this seems to be the lowest LHC has been. I'm disappointed.

Let's all just have fun, and if we don't like a thread for personal reasons, don't comment on it?

UltraBella
December 28th, 2011, 04:21 PM
I understand what you were trying to do... I think... but largely, your thread really does come across as "look at how awesome my hair is today". Which in my mind would be better in a blog (daily/weekly hair updates seem more blog-like than mane-forum-like. The annual, "look, my hair grew a lot in a year" ones I think do belong on the mane forum... go figure, I have weird criteria).

Which is kinda sad, because it is a neat topic. I'm sure many members have trouble capturing their true color on camera (I know I do). This thread isn't titled "Pic of true hair color... is it possible? Anyone else ever acheive it?!?!" and then followed by "Anyone else have photos of their hair with drastically different colors?" which would have been a lovely interactive thread. Its "Finally !! Pic of my true hair color !!". Do you see the difference that I think a lot of us are seeing? The language used is very exclusionary to discussing anybody's hair but your own. I would feel uncomfortable posting a few pictures of my hair looking extra dark/red/etc... because the OP really isn't looking for that. Its celebrating one picture, not discussing an issue that many members probably have experienced.

And I don't mean to pick on you, but I can see where many other members are coming from.

The last time I started a thread about my hair, with pics, was October 3rd and it was a pretty major change, a change that many members here had a hand in helping me decide.

If I have an awesome hair day, why can't I post it ? Here is my REAL question : does it just bother some members because the thread was started by ME ? I don't tend to have "bad" hair days, is that an issue ?? My hair grows quickly, is that an issue ? I have good self-esteem and like myself as a person and would not be considered unattractive by general standards, is that an issue ? Do those things make me less deserving of a thread about my hair ? I can go to the main page right now and count SEVERAL "look at me" threads, but only I have been singled out. So be it. I think my hair is a lovely part of me and in fact, I fully believe that having pretty hair makes my rather large butt look smaller. Bigger hair, smaller butt, it's true and I embrace it :) :D

Everyone would embrace a terrible hair day thread, a trim gone wrong thread. Everyone embraces the multiple threads from some members showing every possible hair style, bun or braid they can come up with. And why not, they are lovely ! Post about being depressed about your hair and everyone will rush to support you, so why not support someone who LIKES their hair or is excited about their natural color ? And if you can't support them, why not just leave them be ? It certainly isn't hurting the forum to have positive posts and pics.

Darn right I was having a good hair morning. I spent from 2am to 5am in the ER with my 16 yr old daughter. We drove 45 minutes each way from a rural town, where my parents live, to the city to get to the ER. My daughter was terrified of "ruining" Christmas morning by being ill, because we have a limited amount of normal Christmas mornings to spend with my father, who was diagnosed with Alzheimer's two weeks ago. I was exhausted, stressed out and needed a gallon of coffee to function. But, we had a beautiful Christmas morning despite all of it and my hair looked pretty. Yay me ! I choose to focus on the positive. Thank you, bun fairy, for letting me have nice curls instead of strange kinks that morning. I truly appreciate it.
To those of you who have been kind and supportive : thank you. LHC is an escape for me. I enjoy spending my down time here with all of you and sometimes, I need to be able to get excited about something as "trivial" as my hair color.

Delila
December 28th, 2011, 04:38 PM
... I think my hair is a lovely part of me and in fact, I fully believe that having pretty hair makes my rather large butt look smaller. Bigger hair, smaller butt, it's true and I embrace it :) :D

Let's spread the word. Think it'll catch on?

(And I agree, if the focus of the thread had been 'I had a stressful early morning in the ER, do I have the right to be happy about my hair?' I wonder how differently this thread might have developed.)

Annibelle
December 28th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Uh-oh... I want a LARGER butt... I was hoping that long hair would hide what I've already got. ;) Or... um... haven't got.

AnqeIicDemise
December 28th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Sometimes, I think we need something stronger than wine to go with mandatory cheese. Jebus.

But, UB, your hair is gorgeous in either dark or light tones. I just want to play with it all day and see how many different styles we can go through. ^-^

ETA: There is absolutely no need for you to explain yourself, UB. This whole thread is reminding me about the one where a young miss is being judged because of the items she owns. No one really knows the back story and yet they're judging. Quite irksome.

So, yeah, where did I leave my Tequila?

Olafwa
December 28th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Wow! I never would have thought it was so light. It's good you can show people what the real color is. ^.^ My own hair gives off bad glare, especially if I take it with a flash. I'm never quite happy with my hair pics, hehe. Rendering the exact color is really hard! -- I love your natural big curls! Very beautiful, it's the only other kind of hair I could live with. I love my straight hair too much. :P

Evie
December 28th, 2011, 05:12 PM
UB Ioved seeing this pic. I'm sorry you had to feel the need to explain yourself! I'm getting really disheartened with this place lately. I regularly see "look at my hair I hate it" style threads and they never seem to get comments like this. I mean what are the "show me your hennaed hair" etc threads if not "look at me" style but folks have learnt a lot from them! I am glad you said it was a bun that gave your hair that lovely shape - what sort? I'm aiming for layers as my hair gets longer so a bun that can do this is awesome.

getoffmyskittle
December 28th, 2011, 05:22 PM
You know, UltraBella, your hair is unbelievably gorgeous and I am going to go ahead and say that a lot of the hating going on is coming from the green eyed monster. If that makes anyone reading feel uncomfortable, perhaps examine whether or not it's true. I know my hair will never be that thick -- but after 7 years on LHC, I've accepted it, so I don't feel envious about it. In the past, I might have been.

I'm glad that you got a good photo of your real hair color -- I had no idea. I always thought it was much more red. It's interesting how lighting can be that way! Sometimes my hair comes out MUCH lighter in photographs than it is in real life.

I'm also glad that you post a lot of photos of it, again selfishly; because of your photos, I'm probably going to go get a set of Caruso rollers (someday :p) and be less fuzzy. :silly:

UltraBella
December 28th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Let's spread the word. Think it'll catch on?

(And I agree, if the focus of the thread had been 'I had a stressful early morning in the ER, do I have the right to be happy about my hair?' I wonder how differently this thread might have developed.)

Seriously, I swear it's true. No one ever notices how big my arse is.....

Uh-oh... I want a LARGER butt... I was hoping that long hair would hide what I've already got. ;) Or... um... haven't got.

Hmmmm...... I am not an expert in the small butt area, it's a concept I have a hard time comprehending. :p

Sometimes, I think we need something stronger than wine to go with mandatory cheese. Jebus.

But, UB, your hair is gorgeous in either dark or light tones. I just want to play with it all day and see how many different styles we can go through. ^-^

ETA: There is absolutely no need for you to explain yourself, UB. This whole thread is reminding me about the one where a young miss is being judged because of the items she owns. No one really knows the back story and yet they're judging. Quite irksome.

So, yeah, where did I leave my Tequila?

After the two weeks I have had, I need a large glass of wine, a huge chunk of cheese and please, slap several slices of salami on there as well. A few crackers to go with that and I will be in heaven !

Wow! I never would have thought it was so light. It's good you can show people what the real color is. ^.^ My own hair gives off bad glare, especially if I take it with a flash. I'm never quite happy with my hair pics, hehe. Rendering the exact color is really hard! -- I love your natural big curls! Very beautiful, it's the only other kind of hair I could live with. I love my straight hair too much. :P

UB Ioved seeing this pic. I'm sorry you had to feel the need to explain yourself! I'm getting really disheartened with this place lately. I regularly see "look at my hair I hate it" style threads and they never seem to get comments like this. I mean what are the "show me your hennaed hair" etc threads if not "look at me" style but folks have learnt a lot from them! I am glad you said it was a bun that gave your hair that lovely shape - what sort? I'm aiming for layers as my hair gets longer so a bun that can do this is awesome.

My natural texture is wavy with bits of frizzy kink thrown in for fun. I put my hair in a ponytail on top of my head, using a scrunchie, then I twist the length and wrap it around the ponytail base. I tuck the ends under the scrunchie and use some u shaped pins to keep it in place. Sometimes it is perfect when I take it down the next day. Sometimes it's quite comical and goes back up into a bun :) If I want to wear it down and want it to look it's nicest, I will throw my Caruso curlers in my hair.

UltraBella
December 28th, 2011, 05:56 PM
You know, UltraBella, your hair is unbelievably gorgeous and I am going to go ahead and say that a lot of the hating going on is coming from the green eyed monster. If that makes anyone reading feel uncomfortable, perhaps examine whether or not it's true. I know my hair will never be that thick -- but after 7 years on LHC, I've accepted it, so I don't feel envious about it. In the past, I might have been.

I'm glad that you got a good photo of your real hair color -- I had no idea. I always thought it was much more red. It's interesting how lighting can be that way! Sometimes my hair comes out MUCH lighter in photographs than it is in real life.

I'm also glad that you post a lot of photos of it, again selfishly; because of your photos, I'm probably going to go get a set of Caruso rollers (someday :p) and be less fuzzy. :silly:

I really hope you will get a set someday and love them. And if you do, I hope you will post a HUGE thread about it, with massive pics ;)

Loviatar
December 28th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Bigger hair, smaller butt? Uh oh, I have a pixie! :lol:

All this talk of cheese reminds me I have Wensleydale with Apricots hiding out in the fridge. Nomnomnom.

I am super envious of your hair's growth-ability and thickness, UB. I like the colour a lot, both in your more 'honey toned' shots and now in your true colour shot. (For some reason, I have to admit, I'm never envious of blondes for their colour. I like seeing healthy blonde hair, true, but I've never wanted to be one. I don't know why - perhaps it's because my sister is blonde and we don't get on, or perhaps it's because I once tried on a blonde wig and the colour made me look so awful!) But I know how irritating it is in every picture to look more red than you really are!

NiAosSi I about wet myself at that Haters Gonna Hate panda picture. Haters Gonna Hate is one of my friends' favourite sayings and she would love that little guy.

jojo
December 28th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Very similar to my natural colour, though mine has some copper in but I love the combination of brown eyes and blonde hair, its so pretty.

UltraBella
December 28th, 2011, 08:13 PM
Very similar to my natural colour, though mine has some copper in but I love the combination of brown eyes and blonde hair, its so pretty.

I love brown eyes, but mine are actually green. You can't tell from the pic though. My daughter's friend is visiting us from out of state and she has really long dark blonde hair and blue eyes, but one is heterochromatic and has a large section of brown in her Iris. It is incredibly beautiful.

ETA : I just realized my eyes tend to photograph much darker than in real life as well. My hair and eyes hardly ever photograph true to their color. Why ?!

Hey, I found a pic !! Bet that doesn't surprise anyone ;)

Here are my green eyes, which I liked very much with the red hair. And check out those bangs, WOW. What was I thinking........

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/l_52173479737d0fa6f7a1f607b70c62-1.jpg

Annibelle
December 28th, 2011, 08:25 PM

One of my favorite combinations is brown eyes and blonde hair! Sooo striking. Or black eyes with red hair. :crush: But I suppose I'm a bit OT now. :D

long
December 28th, 2011, 08:28 PM
I think it is great you posted a picture of your haircolor. Thanks for sharing. Your hair and haircolor are amazing. I always think it is great when people can enjoy there natural haircolor, mine is going grey and I like it but miss my brown. Enjoy it while you have it.

Vanilla
December 28th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Hi Ultrabella!

I agree that photographing dark blonde can be difficult. The most accurate color shots that I've been able to take so far are in my bathroom, with two light sources, against the white tile background. My hubby is a pro photographer (he takes pictures inside a light box), and he suggested the bathroom as a prime picture taking spot.

My siggy pic was taken in the bathroom with just my iPhone.

Even my wedding pictures (which were mostly taken outdoors) show my hair as warmer than I perceive it to be. Other pro pictures, taken indoors with a single light source show my hair more ashy than neutral blonde.

My eyes are green-blue and they also always photograph darker and more gray unless I have just the right light on them.

Tia2010
December 28th, 2011, 09:05 PM
[quote=NiAosSi;1924420]

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff74/zentientbeing/hater.jpg

quote]

OMG I just found my new screen saver :cheese: love it!

Ultrabella.
Have you done a tutorial anywhere on how to roll/use the Caruso rollers? I must be doing it wrong because my hair looks a hot mess most times after I use them.. I think I may roll the wrong way...I will admit, even after all the time spent on LHC..I am inept (is that right?) at doing anything cool with my hair. I can do long very loose (as in I did it wrong and they fall out) waves but thats it :)

cheetahfast
December 28th, 2011, 09:10 PM
I just want to say if I ever get a picture of what my hair color actually looks like it's going all over this board!!! :rollin:

Not because I need attention, but because it is SOOOO difficult to achieve, I actually posted about my camera taking pictures of my hair color wrong. :shrug:
It looked blue/green in one picture and a golden/yellow in another...it was actually dark brown at the time.

UB your hair looks great, I can't wait to grow my natural hair color out and see what it looks like, I only have about an inch so far.

UltraBella
December 28th, 2011, 09:32 PM
Ultrabella.
Have you done a tutorial anywhere on how to roll/use the Caruso rollers? I must be doing it wrong because my hair looks a hot mess most times after I use them.. I think I may roll the wrong way...I will admit, even after all the time spent on LHC..I am inept (is that right?) at doing anything cool with my hair. I can do long very loose (as in I did it wrong and they fall out) waves but thats it :)

I have not done a tutorial, but I learned by watching an ancient commercial, or maybe it was an infomercial, and it had the creator's daughter demonstrating how to roll the sections. I know someone posted it on LHC, maybe it's on YouTube ? Darn it, wish I was more help to you :(

Annibelle
December 28th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Ugh I'd LOVE a tutorial. :( I bought a Caruso set and every time I try curling my hair with it, my hair either looks stringy or poodly. :(

krissykins
December 28th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Is it this (http://s7d3.scene7.com/s7/video/flash_video.jsp?movie=Videos/caruso_hairsetter.flv&company=SallyBeauty&config=SallyBeauty/Sally_Pink_Viewer&vw=343&vh=375) video, perhaps? :)

UltraBella
December 28th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Is it this (http://s7d3.scene7.com/s7/video/flash_video.jsp?movie=Videos/caruso_hairsetter.flv&company=SallyBeauty&config=SallyBeauty/Sally_Pink_Viewer&vw=343&vh=375) video, perhaps? :)

I can't see it, darn iPad without flash player !! Does the gal have long, very blonde hair ?

LissaJane
December 28th, 2011, 09:56 PM
Oh you have such gorgeous hair! in both pictures!

krissykins
December 28th, 2011, 10:01 PM
I can't see it, darn iPad without flash player !! Does the gal have long, very blonde hair ?

She does. :) It's the video listed on Sally Beauty's website just in case you were wondering where I found it. :p

UltraBella
December 28th, 2011, 10:20 PM
She does. :) It's the video listed on Sally Beauty's website just in case you were wondering where I found it. :p

That's gotta be it then !!!!! Thanks !!!!!! I watched it and tried each technique she demonstrated until I figured out what worked for me the best.

ReadingRenee
December 28th, 2011, 11:32 PM
Long time member here but have been pretty inactive. Sometimes life gets too busy to focus on hair. Crazy I know! :lol:

Anyway, I love threads like this! I love to see people that feel good about themselves and are not afraid to say it and I love to see pictures of beautiful hair. I thought we all did and that was one of the reasons we were all here.... I haven't been to the mane forum in a while but this is one of the first threads I clicked on. I wish more people would post things like this. I find it encouraging and interesting. :)

JamieLeigh
December 28th, 2011, 11:32 PM
Just wanted to drop in my :twocents:....

First cent: Your hair is gorgeous, UB, and you know it, and that's awesome! There is nothing wrong with being confident with your looks and wanting to share something cool you noticed about your hair. I think you were singled out quite unfairly, because I am looking at the Mane Forum right now, and there are lots of "questionable" threads there (multiple threads on the same topic, "look at me" threads, etc). I'm not sure why everyone is jumping into this particular one and trying to stomp on you. I have never seen a photo of yours I don't love, whether you are in or out of makeup, or have shorter or longer hair. You rock the camera, and you know what? That's ok, you're allowed to!! :crush:

Second cent:

I've also noticed people tossing around the notion of "old" members and "newbies", as if how long we've been here is relevant - which in my opinion, it shouldn't be. That kind of language just excludes people, often unfairly.

I could not agree with this more. Trying to throw numbers around like they mean something outside of the little sidebar there is just petty. If your name is in mod-green or admin-pink, you might have something to throw around, but us regular members are all in the same boat together. I've only been here 3+ years, but I have had longer than waist length hair for 18 years, so that little number over there means JACK in the grand scheme of things. ;)

ravenreed
December 28th, 2011, 11:53 PM
I dunno, I have been here two whole months longer than you. I think my opinion is much more important. :p

Just wanted to drop in my :twocents:....

First cent: Your hair is gorgeous, UB, and you know it, and that's awesome! There is nothing wrong with being confident with your looks and wanting to share something cool you noticed about your hair. I think you were singled out quite unfairly, because I am looking at the Mane Forum right now, and there are lots of "questionable" threads there (multiple threads on the same topic, "look at me" threads, etc). I'm not sure why everyone is jumping into this particular one and trying to stomp on you. I have never seen a photo of yours I don't love, whether you are in or out of makeup, or have shorter or longer hair. You rock the camera, and you know what? That's ok, you're allowed to!! :crush:

Second cent:

I could not agree with this more. Trying to throw numbers around like they mean something outside of the little sidebar there is just petty. If your name is in mod-green or admin-pink, you might have something to throw around, but us regular members are all in the same boat together. I've only been here 3+ years, but I have had longer than waist length hair for 18 years, so that little number over there means JACK in the grand scheme of things. ;)

ericthegreat
December 29th, 2011, 12:35 AM

Hummm, now if you have to keep quiet because you are afraid of of being modslapped and attacked by other members, well then your opinion really isn't popular at all now is it? Have a nice day sweetie. :p

UltraBella
December 29th, 2011, 12:46 AM
I found the last time I was photographed with my natural hair color, before I started using the copper red Demi color. This was 8 years ago and the last known pic of me as a blonde.

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/sixflags99.jpg

ericthegreat
December 29th, 2011, 01:02 AM
Speaking as a mod:

Thank you 1,000% Lexy. I agree totally, if a certain thread does not interest you or you dislike it for whatever reason, then simply do the sensible thing and just don't open it and don't post in it. There's no sense in bringing negativity into a discussion.

I think it's great that you managed to take such a photo! I haven't so far, close but not 100%. For some of us with dyed or just blonde/blonette hair that is an issue and a goal. The OP herself said she worked toward this for months! This thread is no different than "I reached my goal of waist/tb" threads, or I just grew out my natural color thread (which is a goal for lots here).

I'm here 2 years and I haven't blogged, isn't mandatory. This is a hair board, the Mane Forum is perfect for such posts. We are not here just to ask advice on damaged hair, we are here to celebrate hair as well.

I haven't blogged in ages either. There are no mandatory rules stating that you MUST put your thoughts in a blog. You are perfectly free to post anything you want (provided its respectful and free from unkind/obscene language/and not soliciting any business for your own profit) as long as you put that thread in the proper forum. And even if you put a thread or post in the wrong forum, the mods will happily re-direct that thread or post into the the right forum for you. So there really shouldn't be any issue at all about what should or shouldn't belong in a blog, because the truth is you don't even have to write a blog at all if you don't want to. The blogs are voluntary.

And, from what I understand, first of all the blogs are only open to members who have been here a certain amount of time and have accrued a certain number of posts (correct me if I'm wrong), so that automatically leaves new members out. Then again LHC is so vast that many members, especially the new ones or the ones who don't frequent the site too often may not even be aware that they even can start their own blog here. I certainly wouldn't want them or anyone else to be attacked by another member, telling them that what they are posting is in the wrong place and for them to exile themselves to a blog. This is supposed to be a welcoming and inviting site for everyone, especially new members who are just beginning to not only find their way into LHC but to change their haircare routines for the better. And plus, especially with all the kind, thoughtful, and experience laden wisdom given in the Friendship Board, it is also a very good place to improve the other areas of our personal lives as well. I know this is just an internet message board, and that I haven't even met the vast majority of the members here (I've only met the ones who came to our NYC meets), but I can gladly say that I truly value countless members here on this board as my true friends, who support me as who I truly am as a person, and care for my well being.

UltraBella
December 29th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Ericthegreat, I have definitely made some true friends here too. I enjoy sharing my hair, my life, my chihuahuas:D with them and I appreciate their feedback. I don't expect or need everyone to like me, but I do expect to be able to post in peace.

Back to the original topic : Lianna is correct, I worked on getting my natural color back for almost a year. I did add some highlights during that time and I did foil in some red lowlights, but they were not permanent color. It was in an effort to blend my ashy roots with my red lengths a bit while trying to transition back to blonde fully.
I started coloring my hair 8 years ago. The first time it turned quite red, it was supposed to be golden, the red was an oops and I admit to freaking out quite a bit, but it turned out that everyone loved it. I ended up loving it too. I always used Matrix ColorSync, a demicolor, but demi color stays on my hair a super long time. We used it once on my daughter and it washed out within 30 days, mine was still super red 4 months later, so I colored my roots to match and so the cycle of constant upkeep began. I would do my whole head twice a year to refresh the color and even though it was a Demi, if you do several applications on your lengths it becomes nearly impossible to get rid of. I did this for 7 years ! When I decided to try to go back to natural, everyone told me I wouldn't be able to without cutting the color off or bleaching my whole head. I decided to start trying to strip the color with clarifying shampoo. I used a Paul Mitchell one that I knew worked well for swimmer and chlorine, but I also knew it was really drying. I used this as my regular shampoo for at least 9 months. Ugh. Very slowly the red started fading. It feels like it's taken forever, but I am definitely a dark blonde again. It's a pretty big accomplishment for me, whether others think it's silly or not, I am pretty excited that I succeeded. That makes it extra frustrating when I photograph my hair and it's red again. I have gotten all the way back to blonde and I want to be able to show it, so the Christmas morning pic is awesome. I knew you all - the ones who care - would be surprised :)

holothuroidea
December 29th, 2011, 08:57 AM

Ahhhh! That commercial was awesome! I want one now. :D

invisiblebabe
December 29th, 2011, 09:10 AM

She has beautiful hair! I'm tempted to try the Caruso set. My hair is not as thick as yours, though - it is about average thickness. So I was wondering, did you ever try it on your daughter (since you have said her hair is of more average thickness, too), and if so, how did it work?

aster66
December 29th, 2011, 10:24 AM
WOW! Your hair is sooo lovely! Gorgeous curls and volume! :)

Mayflower
December 29th, 2011, 10:28 AM
I wish they'd sell the Caruso where I live:(. It seems so perfect, great curls without damage!

dulce
December 29th, 2011, 10:54 AM
I found this question of different colour interesting,thanks Ultrabella! Like someone said ,your hair inspires some of us to try and get those Caruso steam curlers too.They seem to give awesome curls with no damage.

UltraBella
December 29th, 2011, 11:00 AM
She has beautiful hair! I'm tempted to try the Caruso set. My hair is not as thick as yours, though - it is about average thickness. So I was wondering, did you ever try it on your daughter (since you have said her hair is of more average thickness, too), and if so, how did it work?

My daughter's hair is not as thick as mine, but it's still very thick. Her hair is fine and mine is coarse, so I actually think it curls her's better.
I have used it on numerous friend's hair, some with quite thin hair, and the results were beautiful.

Tea Lady
December 29th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Lovely as always. I like your hair any color.

Three questions (one on-topic, and two off-topic):

Can you tell me again the name of the setting solution you use, and how much?
In the photo with your red hair and bangs, is it the permanent eyeliner? (You see, I am very happy with mine, but am actually thinking of touching up in the summer to a darker intensity now that I am used to having it. I like how yours looks in that picture.)
Totally off topic for Loviatar: You said:
All this talk of cheese reminds me I have Wensleydale with Apricots hiding out in the fridge. Nomnomnom. Is there really Wensleydale with apricot? That sounds devine. (We got into Wensleydale when my son was young and loved Wallace and Grommit, and cheese!)

Tea Lady

BrightEyes7
December 29th, 2011, 11:57 AM

Here is the same video on Youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgUVTa0mA1A&feature=related

Also, I started a thread here a while ago with that infomercial and two other Caruso commercials.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=66880

UltraBella
December 29th, 2011, 12:06 PM

In the photo with your red hair and bangs, is it the permanent eyeliner? (You see, I am very happy with mine, but am actually thinking of touching up in the summer to a darker intensity now that I am used to having it. I like how yours looks in that picture.)
Totally off topic for Loviatar: You said: Is there really Wensleydale with apricot? That sounds devine. (We got into Wensleydale when my son was young and loved Wallace and Grommit, and cheese!)

Tea Lady

Thanks, Tea Lady !
To answer your questions :
My beloved Biolage setting lotion is no more, it's been discontinued :( Why does that always happen ?!? Once I run out, I will just put some light product in my hair instead.

Yes, that is my permanent eyeliner. It's quite thin and I really like having it.

PrairieRose
December 29th, 2011, 12:10 PM
UltraBella...your hair is beautiful! I always enjoy threads like these:)

Aredhel77
December 29th, 2011, 12:20 PM

Totally off topic for Loviatar: You said: Is there really Wensleydale with apricot? That sounds devine. (We got into Wensleydale when my son was young and loved Wallace and Grommit, and cheese!)
Tea Lady

I know this was addressed to Loviatar, but - Yes indeed there is. I have some in MY refrigerator right now. (I'm also in the UK - and for me, this cheese is a Christmas tradition, although I think you can buy it year-round). Also nice is 'white stilton' with cranberries. :cheese:

ETA: Sorry, Ultrabella, ending cheesy hijack ;)

lapushka
December 29th, 2011, 12:22 PM
I found another tutorial for the Caruso rollers:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ilovegerardo#p/c/D553F0A571F306E3/12/W64E0iD2Rn4

cheetahfast
December 29th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Also nice is 'white stilton' with cranberries.

I've had Wensleydale with cranberries in it. It was well very different to me :shrug:
I never had that kind of cheese before or ones with fruit in it.

I guess it grew on me as I ate the block of it.
Here it is imported, I think from England and very expensive.

Sorry for re-cheese-hijacking the thread :)

ktani
December 29th, 2011, 12:48 PM
I love brown eyes, but mine are actually green. You can't tell from the pic though. My daughter's friend is visiting us from out of state and she has really long dark blonde hair and blue eyes, but one is heterochromatic and has a large section of brown in her Iris. It is incredibly beautiful.

ETA : I just realized my eyes tend to photograph much darker than in real life as well. My hair and eyes hardly ever photograph true to their color. Why ?!

Hey, I found a pic !! Bet that doesn't surprise anyone ;)

Here are my green eyes, which I liked very much with the red hair. And check out those bangs, WOW. What was I thinking........

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/l_52173479737d0fa6f7a1f607b70c62-1.jpg

It is too bad that threads are derailed by negative posts. It does seem to be happening a lot these days. However, I agree, if someone does not like a thread or a topic, there is no obligation to read or comment. If there is an issue, there are mods. End comment.

I get bangs are a pain to trim and with your growth rate a double pain I am sure. However, they do suit you very well and as an option to vary a style, I say keep them and trim them less often, lol.

ktani
December 29th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Re long time members here. I think it is most refreshing to read the comments of newer members on subjects those who have been here longer have in some cases, rehashed.

No one's opinion carries any more weight than another's to me on topics. It is what is said that matters, not how may posts one has made or the date of membership.

End off topic comment.

manderly
December 29th, 2011, 02:33 PM
Hummm, now if you have to keep quiet because you are afraid of of being modslapped and attacked by other members, well then your opinion really isn't popular at all now is it? Have a nice day sweetie. :p

Please don't call me sweetie.

spidermom
December 29th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Back to the original topic, I've also got hair that looks many different colors - red, milk chocolate, golden blonde, nearly white, etc - depending on the lighting. I think I would be hard pressed to pick one and say "that's my TRUE color".

beachgirlla
December 29th, 2011, 04:04 PM
It is too bad that threads are derailed by negative posts. It does seem to be happening a lot these days. However, I agree, if someone does not like a thread or a topic, there is no obligation to read or comment. If there is an issue, there are mods. End comment.

I get bangs are a pain to trim and with your growth rate a double pain I am sure. However, they do suit you very well and as an option to vary a style, I say keep them and trim them less often, lol.

Your eyes color is EXACTLY same as my friend new contact lens, she has hazel/greenish eyes that show as brown in pics, she was so fed up and bought custom made colored contact lenses and regular colored contact lenses, they both are just like your eyes color.

If your eyes do not show the actual color, then get some color contact and wear them for pics so they can show light colors
PS: brown eyes look good on you :)

beachgirlla
December 29th, 2011, 04:05 PM
sorry my last post was for UltraBella

ktani
December 29th, 2011, 04:15 PM
sorry my last post was for UltraBella

No worries, lol. I have done the same thing.

xoxophelia
December 29th, 2011, 04:20 PM
I also have issues with colors showing naturally with cameras. Hair wise I get a range from dark brown/mahogany, almost gingerish or auburn and for my eyes they sometimes photograph yellowish in bright light, purple (my eyes are naturally some mix of blue/yellow/brown spots so go figure).. I'm not sure why that is but I think some cameras give a red cast to everything when using flash too close.

UltraBella
December 29th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Back to the original topic, I've also got hair that looks many different colors - red, milk chocolate, golden blonde, nearly white, etc - depending on the lighting. I think I would be hard pressed to pick one and say "that's my TRUE color".

Your hair is lovely :)
It's not hard for me to know my true color. The only difficulty I have is capturing it with a photo. There is no red tone to my hair in real life. I am a dark ash blonde, with a few old highlights, without a doubt.
Every time I post a picture of myself on Facebook, all my friends ask me if I just colored my hair or went back to red. Since they see me in real life, they think it's funny. I posted the christmas morning pic on FB and several people congratulated me on having a photo that finally really does look like me.

Nae
December 29th, 2011, 07:03 PM
Well, knock me over with a feather. This is the first I clicked on this thread because I read the title and said to myself, "I already know what color Ultrabella's hair is......red. How different can it be?" And then I went on to keep myself up to date on some of the other "stuff" going on in the off-topic sections. Who knew what I was missing?

So today I click on it and what can I say but, holy crapping heck UB! That is amazing! :bigeyes:

About all the other stuff in the thread, I think this is a valid goal that you have been working toward for a while so why not post a thread? Carry on with your bad self girl. Carry on.:rockerdud

KwaveT
December 29th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Boy, I got a surprise when I saw the picture. Your hair is absolutely beautiful in your natural blonde. I think the comments about not posting these kind of threads are absolutely unnecessary. I am probably putting mine in a thread when I do my album. If you can't post these kind of threads then what do you think you are suppose to post. It is nice to see threads where somebody loves their hair rather than complaining about it.

Raiscake
December 29th, 2011, 08:22 PM
UB, you're my ultimate hair inspiration.! I'm sitting here with big rollers in my hair just to get the same lovely curls you have. Don't stop posting

Loviatar
December 29th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Totally off topic for Loviatar: You said: Is there really Wensleydale with apricot? That sounds devine. (We got into Wensleydale when my son was young and loved Wallace and Grommit, and cheese!)[/LIST]
Tea Lady

Hi Tea Lady,

I can see others have answered for me, but:

Yes, Wensleydale with Apricots does exist, as does Wensleydale with Spiced Fruits, with Black Pepper, and with Cranberries. Nom nom. They do various stiltons with similar additions but Wensleydale for me is the King of Cheeses :cheese:

I also love Wallace and Gromit :D

Ashenputtel
December 29th, 2011, 08:43 PM
I was so amazed by your perfect mouth and teeths that I forgot to look at your hair color. You look very good.

UltraBella
December 30th, 2011, 12:13 AM
Well, knock me over with a feather. This is the first I clicked on this thread because I read the title and said to myself, "I already know what color Ultrabella's hair is......red. How different can it be?" And then I went on to keep myself up to date on some of the other "stuff" going on in the off-topic sections. Who knew what I was missing?

So today I click on it and what can I say but, holy crapping heck UB! That is amazing! :bigeyes:

About all the other stuff in the thread, I think this is a valid goal that you have been working toward for a while so why not post a thread? Carry on with your bad self girl. Carry on.:rockerdud

I figured you would be surprised ! I am determined to get a few more "true" color pics and make one my sig pic and put a few in my album. I get comments and questions every few days about my red color and how I achieved it, is it henna, etc...... and when I reply that I am now a dark blonde, they must think I am color blind or delusional :eyebrows:
My best bet is probably some outdoor shots, but we have crazy weather right now and the wind has been down right dangerous, and not just for tangling hair. Trees are down, roofs are damaged, I am going to have to be patient......

UB, you're my ultimate hair inspiration.! I'm sitting here with big rollers in my hair just to get the same lovely curls you have. Don't stop posting

I hope your curls turned out ! You should post a pic :)

To Everyone : I just want to say thanks for helping turn this thread around and being so kind and supportive. I appreciate your participation, whether it was about my hair color or about what is appropriate thread material. This forum is full of beautiful heads of hair and beautiful members. If you are reading this, don't forget that you are one of them. Whether you are growing it, cutting it, coloring it, celebrating it, crying over it, we all (at least the majority of us) want to know about it. I don't care if you have been around since the day this forum began or if you arrived last week, your hair is interesting and YOU are interesting. Happy posting !

AnqeIicDemise
December 30th, 2011, 12:20 AM
Woohoo! I say more people post their true colors on this thread. Bwuaha. I'm still struggling with my true color as well.

UltraBella
December 30th, 2011, 12:32 AM
Woohoo! I say more people post their true colors on this thread. Bwuaha. I'm still struggling with my true color as well.

Yep :) Calling all chameleon hair !! Comparison pics would be excellent, don't forget to tell us which one is your "true" color.

Annibelle
December 30th, 2011, 08:54 AM
I think you look fabulous with bangs! :o

I don't have that issue with my hair-- it simply looks lighter in sunlight, because, well, it's sunlight. :p The tone sort of changes-- in the morning, whether I'm indoors or out, my hair has red undertones, but in the afternoon, it has ash tones. Weird! But not as big a difference as with yours.

But I do have that issue with my eyes! They very very rarely ever photograph the same color as my eyes actually are. They're green... not dark, like a lot of greens, but not super-pale, either. If I use a cameraphone, they look grey. If I use a regular camera indoors, they often look blue or just sort of colorless and blah. If I'm outdoors, though, they actually DO look the right color... usually. Otherwise, they look dark green or blue. :p I haven't quite figured out the exact lighting conditions that make my eyes look different!

Now, it's MY turn to be an attention whore!

Indoor eyes:

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z414/4nnibelle/Image07112011185554.jpg?t=1325259232

Outdoors in direct sunlight:

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z414/4nnibelle/P2180936.jpg?t=1325259575

Outdoors in the shade:

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z414/4nnibelle/PC230762.jpg?t=1325260202

(Yes, I have unbelievably awful skin in this photo. I had just tried a skin routine that my skin OBVIOUSLY hated. :o I just don't think I have any other outdoor-in-the-shade photos. And yes, I really AM that chubby. :rolleyes:)

Also outdoors in the shade:

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z414/4nnibelle/185322_179025328835405_100001838166074_415425_5281 918_n.jpg?t=1325260352

I'm assuming that the one in sunlight (2nd photo) is closest to my actual eye color, because I've been told several times that I have "zombie eyes"... and those are the only ones that look zombie-ish to me. :confused:

holothuroidea
December 30th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Annibelle- I have the same problem with my eye color. Not only do I have no idea what to call it but they never photograph true to color.
They are multicolored and I can never manage to get all the colors to come out in the same photo. They are yellow around the pupil and blue-green in the middle and have dark green edges.

I think by zombie eyes they mean the light color in the center with the dark outline. I've received that comment, too.

Here's a cool close up picture of my eye, but the yellow middles don't show up in this picture.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/holothuroidea/eye.jpg

I went crazy one day taking pictures of my eye in different lighting trying to get the true color to come through without any success. Those pictures aren't on my computer but if I get the urge sometime today I'll upload them.

ETA: I think you are beautiful, Annibelle. Perhaps not "magazine" beautiful but you have an inner glow and you look so healthy and vibrant and your complexion and your eyes are gorgeous.

gretchen_hair
December 30th, 2011, 09:25 AM
Do you realize that when you smile, you resemble Reese Witherspoon?

I think you look fabulous with bangs! :o

I don't have that issue with my hair-- it simply looks lighter in sunlight, because, well, it's sunlight. :p The tone sort of changes-- in the morning, whether I'm indoors or out, my hair has red undertones, but in the afternoon, it has ash tones. Weird! But not as big a difference as with yours.

But I do have that issue with my eyes! They very very rarely ever photograph the same color as my eyes actually are. They're green... not dark, like a lot of greens, but not super-pale, either. If I use a cameraphone, they look grey. If I use a regular camera indoors, they often look blue or just sort of colorless and blah. If I'm outdoors, though, they actually DO look the right color... usually. Otherwise, they look dark green or blue. :p I haven't quite figured out the exact lighting conditions that make my eyes look different!

Now, it's MY turn to be an attention whore!

Indoor eyes:

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z414/4nnibelle/Image07112011185554.jpg?t=1325259232

Outdoors in direct sunlight:

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z414/4nnibelle/P2180936.jpg?t=1325259575

Outdoors in the shade:

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z414/4nnibelle/PC230762.jpg?t=1325260202

(Yes, I have unbelievably awful skin in this photo. I had just tried a skin routine that my skin OBVIOUSLY hated. :o I just don't think I have any other outdoor-in-the-shade photos. And yes, I really AM that chubby. :rolleyes:)

Also outdoors in the shade:

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z414/4nnibelle/185322_179025328835405_100001838166074_415425_5281 918_n.jpg?t=1325260352

I'm assuming that the one in sunlight (2nd photo) is closest to my actual eye color, because I've been told several times that I have "zombie eyes"... and those are the only ones that look zombie-ish to me. :confused:

spidermom
December 30th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Chameleon hair:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/November2009.jpg
my bathroom
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/summerlength.jpg
outside in sunshine
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/LONGERSTILL.jpg
outside in shade

As for which is my true color, ??? about covers it.

XcaliburGirl
December 30th, 2011, 10:02 AM
I have a similar problem, though it's not just pictures, I think it really does look different in different lights. Sometimes it looks black, sometimes ashy dark brown, sometimes a little reddish.

Indoors with flash, looks black:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=118735&albumid=5612&dl=1321152503&thumb=1

Indoors with ceiling light, most natural I think: ETA: Except for the bleached ends, of course!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=74484&albumid=5612&dl=1276560888&thumb=1

Outdoors in the sun:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5328&pictureid=71386

young&reckless
December 30th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Ha ha, and all this time I thought you were a redhead.

Note to self update pics.

Annibelle
December 30th, 2011, 10:20 AM
Annibelle- I have the same problem with my eye color. Not only do I have no idea what to call it but they never photograph true to color.
They are multicolored and I can never manage to get all the colors to come out in the same photo. They are yellow around the pupil and blue-green in the middle and have dark green edges.

I think by zombie eyes they mean the light color in the center with the dark outline. I've received that comment, too.

Here's a cool close up picture of my eye, but the yellow middles don't show up in this picture.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/holothuroidea/eye.jpg

I went crazy one day taking pictures of my eye in different lighting trying to get the true color to come through without any success. Those pictures aren't on my computer but if I get the urge sometime today I'll upload them.

ETA: I think you are beautiful, Annibelle. Perhaps not "magazine" beautiful but you have an inner glow and you look so healthy and vibrant and your complexion and your eyes are gorgeous.

:thud: Your eye is sooo pretty! :) And thank you for the compliment. :o

No, I had no idea! Hehe.

Chameleon hair:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/November2009.jpg
my bathroom
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/summerlength.jpg
outside in sunshine
outside in shade

As for which is my true color, ??? about covers it.

Gosh, they're all so pretty! :) I think I like the top one best on you, as it's in between the very light and darker hair color pictures. Maybe that means it's your true color? If it's in-between the others? :shrug: It's awesome either way!

UltraBella
December 30th, 2011, 10:43 AM

I agree with this completely, you are lovely :)

She does ! I see it too. Annibelle, the minute I saw your smile I thought : she looks like someone famous.

outside in shade

I really like this photo. Your hair in incredible, and your face is wonderful too. You look beautiful.

Pazita!
December 30th, 2011, 12:46 PM
OMG you have my dream hair!!!! color, length, style, everything <3... I LOVE IT

dulce
December 30th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Wow,Spidermom,they're all gorgeous colours!!!My hair in the front when outside looks white,in the house it's light brown with some silver streaks ,so yes,I'm another one that can't tell what colour I am anymore too.

xovictoryxo
January 3rd, 2012, 08:58 PM
wow! no idea you were a goldilocks!!
Im sorry to see an uplifting positive thread turn nasty, I'm sorry to be a snitch, but i reported that post... that was just meanspirited and plain nasty
I love seeing happy hair picture threads, and to think someone would treat anyone that way when they posted one, wow! just speechless. That is not LHC friendly,
On the other hand -I dont even know how to start a blog LOL and have no desire to read one.

UltraBella
January 3rd, 2012, 09:20 PM
wow! no idea you were a goldilocks!!
Im sorry to see an uplifting positive thread turn nasty, I'm sorry to be a snitch, but i reported that post... that was just meanspirited and plain nasty
I love seeing happy hair picture threads, and to think someone would treat anyone that way when they posted one, wow! just speechless. That is not LHC friendly,
On the other hand -I dont even know how to start a blog LOL and have no desire to read one.

Thank you. The blonde was a surprise to many. Now I am on a mission to capture it again !

Áine
January 8th, 2012, 05:04 PM
To be honest, I'd much rather see threads like this one instead of some of the other contentious ones I've seen lately. I never got the vibe Ultrabella's doing it to hurt anybody else. Do I think these topics would be awesome for blog posts? Yeah. But whatever. UB is the one who gets to choose what she does with her own relevant images, ultimately.

Springlets
January 9th, 2012, 12:37 PM
Need more pictures of chameleon hair? :D

Inside shadowy light:
http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz17/Blaircorneliabass/232323232-fp73446-nu3497-742-675-2588742766258ot1lsi.jpg

Bathroom light:
http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz17/Blaircorneliabass/232323232-fp92-nu6957-632-258-WSNRCG353444-993335nu0mrj-1-1.jpg

Outside light:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7921&pictureid=121325

This is my favorite subject! I love the way hair changes with the light.

UltraBella
January 9th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Wow, Springlets ! I would have never guessed there was such a big difference between your roots and your length !!

I did capture it again, last week trying to get pics for a different thread.
Still blonde and this shows my layers nicely too :

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/e93e06ae.jpg

Falcore
January 10th, 2012, 04:00 AM
Your hair is just beautiful and love the colour!

Wow. Appears that some either have a superiority complex or just plain envious of your locks.. 'cause I know I am! :P :D

Keep on keep on posting UltraBella - I for one love looking at your pics and reading what you have to say