PDA

View Full Version : hair that grows out and up

jmills5
December 26th, 2011, 11:21 PM
Hey all, I've got the kind of hair that grows out and up and looks kinda poofy when its decently long(1-2) inches. I'm wanting to grow out my hair to about 12 inches or possibly longer. Is my hair good to grow out long? Anyone else had this? I just dont want to look like too much of a doof while its in its growing stage.

Thanks

Hollyfire3
December 27th, 2011, 12:50 AM
My hair is poofy, not like your describing but i will help with what i know. You can use clips to pin your hair down while it grows, cover it with a rag or slick it back. In order to get pretty long hair, you must get past this akward stage, just dont think about how funny it looks to you, think of how beautiful it will be when grown out.

MonaLisa
December 27th, 2011, 12:54 AM
It's natural that it needs some more weight to lay properly! Just try :)
Also, maybe it's dry...you using conditioner?

Helix
December 27th, 2011, 01:04 AM
I have hair that grows up and out as well. I like long hair and I like big hair so it works for me.

You can grow out any hairtype provided that you are in good health so it's really up to you if you want to. It's all beautiful in my opinion. You just have to be willing to put a small amount of effort into caring for it and you will reap the benefits.

There is always an awkward stage when you're growing out from shorter lengths but the best thing to do is stick it out until you outgrow that stage which only takes some months.

CurlyCap
December 27th, 2011, 01:06 AM
Hiya! Noticed this is your first post. Welcome!

Is your hair curly? Curly hair has a tendency to grow out and up before it goes back down. I had to gently layer my hair until it got to about chin/shoulder, and now I can just let it grow.

If your hair is in good condition, then like the peeps above said, headbands/scarves/clips are going to be your best friends for a while.

But think about it! When it gets longer, you'll have awesome volume and it will be jealousy inspiring!

jmills5
January 15th, 2012, 09:10 PM
Heya sorry it took me a long time to post back. I am using a conditioner, i usually wash my hair every 3rd day and thats when it poofs up big time. My hair isnt curly, it just doesnt lay flat. At what time should i start using clips and such? And shampoo that doesnt make my hair poofy?

spike316
January 15th, 2012, 09:14 PM
My hair goes through that awkward poof stage when I'm that length as well, it just needs more weight to it and you'll be fine! In the meantime, I recommend clips and headbands to kinda help tame it. ^_^ And for shampoos that won't make your hair poofy I'd recommend looking at more moisturizing lines.

Mommyof4
January 15th, 2012, 09:23 PM
Maybe your hair is slightly wavy when it gets length to it?? My hair looks strange and kind of "flys up into the air" until it's hits about Chin length.. then starts curling and wurling :D

spidermom
January 15th, 2012, 09:40 PM
Like this?http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/BOONEW.jpg
(natural air-dried hair)

It was like this at 22.5 inches: http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/2005.jpg
(layered in the front around my face)

And like this at nearly waist: http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/lhc607-1.jpg

Length helps the poofies, no doubt about it.

jojo
January 16th, 2012, 02:32 AM
My hair up to shoulders does this and then it grows down! I call it Crystal Tipps hair as shown her http://www.childofthe1980s.com/2009/08/05/crystal-tipps-and-alistair/ this is my hair at that length! LOL

Katze
January 16th, 2012, 04:15 AM
Yes, mine does too. Especially the new growth - see pics in album.

Hair type makes a big difference. Have you had long hair before? If so, what was it like when it was long?

When my hair is freshly washed (if I shampoo, but sometimes with CO, too) it poofs. I like to bun it when wet to tame the length, but can do nothing for the crown. Often, I look like this guy :silly:

CO and WO make my hair smoother overall, but I do have to use product. Oh, and Arctic suggested that many curlies/wavies put product into DAMP hair. I would never do this myself - I am too scared of what would happen since my hair has a mind of its own.

But no, you are not alone. Try to figure out your hair type then look at what people with similar hair suggest.

good luck, and welcome!

jojo
January 16th, 2012, 04:20 AM
Yes, mine does too. Especially the new growth - see pics in album.

Hair type makes a big difference. Have you had long hair before? If so, what was it like when it was long?

When my hair is freshly washed (if I shampoo, but sometimes with CO, too) it poofs. I like to bun it when wet to tame the length, but can do nothing for the crown. Often, I look like this guy :silly:

CO and WO make my hair smoother overall, but I do have to use product. Oh, and Arctic suggested that many curlies/wavies put product into DAMP hair. I would never do this myself - I am too scared of what would happen since my hair has a mind of its own.

But no, you are not alone. Try to figure out your hair type then look at what people with similar hair suggest.

good luck, and welcome! it does seem that wavies/curlies and wurlies get this more. I do however get better results using baby oil (i do seem to be spreading the word on baby oil today lol) as a serum on damp hair, it has helped mine and 2 others who have tried on the site and prevented us from trimming.