PDA

View Full Version : Prescription Medications and Hair

StillAHulaGirl
July 12th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Does anyone know where I can find resources on what kind of prescription medications might cause stunted growth or hair loss?

I'm mostly an herbal remedy/organic person, but I do have a blood disorder that requires me to take a few prescriptions. I'm just curious if any might cause problems with my hair growth and health.

Thanks in advance :)

ColoradoDreamer
July 12th, 2008, 10:14 PM
I'm interested in this also, as I'm taking several medications myself.

Anyone???

DecafJane
July 13th, 2008, 01:12 AM
Do you have an information sheet on your drugs? If it isn't in the box with the tablets, the pharmacist or the doctor should be able to give one to you. The sheet will have the list of possible side-effects on it, and if it has caused hair loss in some people, it will be listed there.
Not all side-effects happen to all people, and a lot of them are very rare, so you probably won't encounter them, but you need to be aware of them before you take the drug.
Also, if go to the website of the drug company who makes your drug, they will probably also have the same information.
Your doctor should be able to tell you just how likely the chance of the side effect is, in terms of percentage.
Good luck! :)

jojo
July 13th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Which drugs are you on? I know steroids can affect hair growth

yogachic
July 13th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Here's one site I found that does give some medications that can cause hair loss, its a good read, even if its not completely what your looking for.

http://www.follicle.com/section2/5.html

StillAHulaGirl
July 13th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Thanks everyone for your help. I have researched *alot* regarding the medications I take. I haven't seen any negative side effects regarding hair. I guess I'm just so paranoid because they're unnatural.

I have prescriptions for Zoloft (anxiety), potassium chloride, prenatal vitamin (because I'm amemic - not pregnant, lol) and presc. muscle relaxers (muscle cramps are a side effect of my disorder) - of which I rarely use, they make me sick. And a ton of vitamins.

In the none of these have I found adverse reactions pertaining to hair - but I tend to be paranoid. :P

Riot Crrl
July 13th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Prenatal vitamin might possibly help increase growth. I don't know about the rest, but you've looked yourself and haven't found any bad news.

Darkhorse1
July 13th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Hmm. If you look up the drug you are taking, it will list every known side effect. Remember, though, these are every side effect that occured in the drug trial. You'd need a PDR (physicians desk reference) to know the percentages. www.medicinenet.com This is just a guide, and not to be used instead of proper medical professionals.

AnimaSola3o4
July 13th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Are you experiencing stunted hair growth? Maybe youre just going through your rest period in the growth cycle?

Your hair looks beautiful if you don't mind my saying so, in your avatar and signature. :)

Also I am curious about what blood disorder you have that causes muscle cramping?

StillAHulaGirl
July 22nd, 2008, 10:36 AM
Are you experiencing stunted hair growth? Maybe youre just going through your rest period in the growth cycle?

Your hair looks beautiful if you don't mind my saying so, in your avatar and signature. :)

Also I am curious about what blood disorder you have that causes muscle cramping?
It's called Spirocytosis. It's genetic and somewhat rare. My dad passed it to one of my sisters and me. It's similar to sickle cell anemia.

At times when my body is pushed too hard (i.e. not enough rest, not drinking enough water) the blood cells are not as effecient at carrying enough oxygen to muscles - so the defeciency causes a little cramping. A good example would be when I stretch - I'm more likely to get a charlie horse. FUN FUN!!

I feel very blessed though - compared to others, I have a mild case. I live a normal life :)
Thank you for all of the kind words! I haven't had any hair problems, I just get paranoid that I will. LOL - I should count my blessings more!

Thanks for the interest, I don't mind sharing at all. Might I say that your color is beautiful! I've secretly wished I was a redhead. :P