PDA

View Full Version : On maintaining length...

julliams
December 26th, 2011, 06:16 PM
I recently got to my goal of hip, then had to get it cut, so I am back to 2 inches above hip. I'm figuring that even if you tell someone you only want an inch off, it's pretty much going to be 2 inches every time. So...... I'm thinking that if I actually want to maintain at hip, I'm going to have to grow 2 inches below hip and then get cut back to hip if I'm to actually stay there. Right?

For those who maintain a length, how do you do it? I don't think I can trim myself as I now have layers and I would not like to try to be trimming those myself - or is there a way to do it????

spidermom
December 26th, 2011, 06:48 PM
You can try the ponytail on top of the head method. Use a hair tie to secure the ponytail dead-center, then slide a 2nd hair tie toward the ends. You can trim layers that way.

I've had hip-tailbone length hair for about 2 years now. I grow longer and then cut back. I'm hoping to reach classic length again in 2012.

AnnaJamila
December 26th, 2011, 07:41 PM
I second the self-cut. It's nerve wracking but it really is much easier than you'd think. You can google how to instructions for "long layers" or "long round layers". Here's (http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI8PFCEwm6E) a link for a really good method on youtube- it's easy and gives lots of movement. This is how I usually cut my hair; I usually don't hold my fingers straight overhead but more toward the back so the layers are a little less pronounced. In fact I think I'll go have a trim now, I completely forgot what time of year it was! :p

On second thought using the ponytail holders sounds really good and easy!

young&reckless
December 26th, 2011, 07:58 PM
I grow longer then have a good trim once or twice a year and selftrim if I'm unhappy in the meantime.

Hollyfire3
December 26th, 2011, 08:12 PM
I recently got to my goal of hip, then had to get it cut, so I am back to 2 inches above hip. I'm figuring that even if you tell someone you only want an inch off, it's pretty much going to be 2 inches every time. So...... I'm thinking that if I actually want to maintain at hip, I'm going to have to grow 2 inches below hip and then get cut back to hip if I'm to actually stay there. Right?

For those who maintain a length, how do you do it? I don't think I can trim myself as I now have layers and I would not like to try to be trimming those myself - or is there a way to do it????

Im wondering this also, i seem to have hair similar to yours so i am watching this thread and also, i know off topic a bit but, how do you tell if your strands are f, m or c? I know the tests from online but my results are scewed...i know you mentioned someone once telling you you had f hair and they were wrong, how did you find this out?

julliams
December 26th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Hi Hollyfire,
Well, I guess my hair is not fine overall but it does in fact have some fine strands. I would say that my head is made up of fine, medium and coarse strands. Most are medium (in that they are not fine or coarse), a percentage are fine and very soft, and a small percentage are coarse and wirey. Plus I also have alot of hair. It's all relative though, someone with fine hair might look at my fine strands and think they are medium??? Or my coarse strands might be someone else's medium ones. So yeah, it's all relative to me.

kidari
December 26th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Not all salons have stylists that will cut off 2 inches when you ask for 1 inch. I would say ask around or look on places like yelp to find a better stylist who will really listen to you. I had a horrible experience where I used to get my hair cut by the owner of the salon I used to go to and I always came in for a trim to maintain my cut every 4-6 weeks. I'm not sure if she did it on purpose or not but she cut more and more layers into my hair every time I went in instead of just maintaining the shape of the original cut. So eventually there were so many layers and my hair was so thinned out on the length that I had no choice but to go shorter and shorter. Now I see that sometimes stylists are smart and think about ways to get their clients to come in more often or become dependent on them and this is the main reason why I cut my hair at home- layers and all. It's not for everyone and in the beginning I was very limited with my skills but now I get exactly what I want every single time. However, not everyone can cut their own hair beyond trimming it to one length (I have messed up on my hair many times) so if you go to a salon I would say just go in 3-4 times a year maximum and tell them to "trim" only 1 inch and no more and you should be fine. Since you are only getting your hair cut about 3 times a year you can afford to splurge and go to a nicer more reputable salon as well.

Hollyfire3
December 26th, 2011, 10:07 PM
Hi Hollyfire,
Well, I guess my hair is not fine overall but it does in fact have some fine strands. I would say that my head is made up of fine, medium and coarse strands. Most are medium (in that they are not fine or coarse), a percentage are fine and very soft, and a small percentage are coarse and wirey. Plus I also have alot of hair. It's all relative though, someone with fine hair might look at my fine strands and think they are medium??? Or my coarse strands might be someone else's medium ones. So yeah, it's all relative to me.

Oh ok, i alwasy feel like people like to down my hair, i say its thick they tell me its frizz, i says its not fine, they say it is, i say i want it long, they say immposible. I just look in the miror and cant understand why my iii (over 4) ponytail and waves, very thick, blunt hemline and all around beautiful hair can be called all of this, i would like to think it is jelously because i do have thicker hair than most people and they all think the waves are pretty...if you dont mind me asking, what is your ponytail circumfrance? I think i could benifit from your thread because my hair is similar to yours. Thanks so much.

jacqueline101
December 26th, 2011, 10:13 PM
I'm afraid of self trimming. I'd have trimmed if needed. I'd do a micro trim or s and d of splits. One lady here bought a crea clip for self trims. Something like that might work.

julliams
December 26th, 2011, 10:16 PM
I think I'm just over 4" too. I think we do have very similar hair Hollyfire. Sometimes I think some people are talking out of their "wahzoo} when it comes to hair. I have heard pretty silly things come out of the mouths of some people who should know better. I also think that sometimes when someone puts something like that on you (regarding frizz, you can't etc) they are just trying to show that they know better. And they don't, because noone knows your hair like you do.

Stick with your plan and try taking pictures of your hair each month on the same shirt. I seriously learnt alot about my hair from doing that and it reminds me that it always looks and behaves a little differently.

julliams
December 26th, 2011, 10:20 PM
I'm afraid of self trimming. I'd have trimmed if needed. I'd do a micro trim or s and d of splits. One lady here bought a crea clip for self trims. Something like that might work.

I'm afraid too jacqueline. I watched her cut layers into my hair and I'm pretty sure I would not be able to replicate that on myself. My ponytail actually is all different lengths so I can't just cut it straight across the bottom. I have a crea clip too, but I don't like the layer results they get from cutting it this way.

I think I'm just going to go for a trim every 4 months. That way I get 2 inches of growth and then hopefully, not quite 2 inches will be cut off. I'm happy with my current length now anyway so anything extra is a bonus and maybe one day it will be hip again.

Hollyfire3
December 26th, 2011, 10:31 PM
I think I'm just over 4" too. I think we do have very similar hair Hollyfire. Sometimes I think some people are talking out of their "wahzoo} when it comes to hair. I have heard pretty silly things come out of the mouths of some people who should know better. I also think that sometimes when someone puts something like that on you (regarding frizz, you can't etc) they are just trying to show that they know better. And they don't, because noone knows your hair like you do.

Stick with your plan and try taking pictures of your hair each month on the same shirt. I seriously learnt alot about my hair from doing that and it reminds me that it always looks and behaves a little differently.

Thanks for the help! The shirt is a good idea! I just feel like im going in circles...my hairdresser tells me my hair needs to be trimed, takes off 2 inches or more each time and my hair regrows it then she trims it off again. She now tells me "my way" Of triming every 3 months 1/2 inch isnt working and that my hair is stuck at BSL length deal with it i say, not to her but to myself "Her way" of telling me constand blowdryign and flat ironing doesnt damage hair is my problem and cause of the damage and taper she is cutting of, i like her as a stylist but dont know how to say, i want long hair quite telling me i cant have it just cause u lie to me. Is it possible for heat damage to catch up months later and lead to taper? I dont think im stuck at BSL my hair is growing but taper is my pet peeve and i want a blunt hemline. Can i do this with no heatstyling and 1/2 inch trims monthly? I seriously think it is just damage because my hair is far too thick for it to taper at this length (BTW, it is blunt now and at the same length it was damaged months ago before the cut) sorry to hijack, just figured you can help. Thanks again.

julliams
December 26th, 2011, 10:37 PM
I would suggest you simply leave it for 6 months at least. Take a look at my albums (click on show all albums) and look at my monthly growth pics. You can see that my hair grows in a natural V shape too. Check out how it looked when I first started growing - not quite so nice as now I think. That was right after several years of heat styling every 3 days. Then I went for 14 months without trimming from April 2010 to July 2011 and got most of my growth then. I could easily have trimmed most of it off with frequent trips to the salon. I was convinced that my hair wasn't growing either but from taking photos each month on the same shirt I've learnt my growth rate (5/8" per month), that it grows naturally in a V shape (might be the taper you are talking about???) and that it looks totally different every time I wash and dry it. Now it's become a habit - I take a pic early every month and I monitor my progress.

xoerincolleen
December 26th, 2011, 10:37 PM
I cut my own layers recently, and I think they turned out nicely. My hair had been layered my last professional cut 9 months ago, and I've been trying to grow out the shortest layer so that it's not so short in comparison to the rest of my hair. What I did was take the shortest layer of my hair, combed and pulled it straight up, held it between my fingers and trimmed like 1/4" off of the ends. Then trimmed the longest layer as normal and my bangs. I know that's probably not the recommended way, but it worked well for me. After blow-drying straight and studying it in the mirror, I couldn't see anything wrong with it, so I'm happy, haha. I hope that you find something that works for you!

ETA: Also- if you go in the the hair dresser with a VERY firm stance on how much is trimmed off and make them show you exactly how much they're going to cut, you'll get the amount off that you're actually asking for. I know it's awkward to be demanding at the hairdresser, which is why I never have the guts to do it, but one of my best friends does so and she gets the trim she wants every time.

Hollyfire3
December 26th, 2011, 10:57 PM
I would suggest you simply leave it for 6 months at least. Take a look at my albums (click on show all albums) and look at my monthly growth pics. You can see that my hair grows in a natural V shape too. Check out how it looked when I first started growing - not quite so nice as now I think. That was right after several years of heat styling every 3 days. Then I went for 14 months without trimming from April 2010 to July 2011 and got most of my growth then. I could easily have trimmed most of it off with frequent trips to the salon. I was convinced that my hair wasn't growing either but from taking photos each month on the same shirt I've learnt my growth rate (5/8" per month), that it grows naturally in a V shape (might be the taper you are talking about???) and that it looks totally different every time I wash and dry it. Now it's become a habit - I take a pic early every month and I monitor my progress.

Oh yeah, i think the taper is the v hemline, i would like to trim it to a blunt one and keep it though...but no, i also think my hair was breaking at the ends from constant heat styling. I mean my hemline wasnt even finger width or any width really...for months with heatstyling the ends just looked bad. Now, with my trim nearly grown back, my hair is blunter then i ever remeber and i really think the heat styling was the culprit. As much as i hate my hair being crazy, i would rather brush it smoother then iron it to breakage. Any tips on how to cut down frizz? preferably without cones? Oh and julliams, your hair is goreous! I also have another, nicer hairdresser that will trim my hair if i go to him, different salon and different values, they will listen to me. I hate feeling like i have to listen to the stylist instead of do what i think everythime i walk in there. Now that i have officaily stopped heatstyling, i hopw my hair health will improve so i dont have to trim as often.

julliams
December 26th, 2011, 11:21 PM
Any tips on how to cut down frizz? preferably without cones?

I always have a halo of frizz in my hair - it's part and parcel with this hair texture. Now that you have stopped heat styling you want to get as much moisture into your hair as possible. I would suggest doing a treatment at least once a week if not twice a week. I did SMT's (4 parts cone-free conditioner, 1 part clear aloe gel, 1 part honey - combine and heat in mircrowave for 30 seconds - let cool, apply and then leave on hair for an hour. Cover with cling film and a hot towel) I also did coconut milk soaks where I soaked my hair in 1/3 can coconut milk for an hour and then washed it out using shampoo and following with conditioner.

The treatments made a big difference after several months. You really need to keep them up.

When I wash my hair, I shampoo and condition as normal. Then I finish with a cold rinse, put my hair up in a microfibre towel for about 5 minutes, then let it down and use my towel to scrunch my hair up to my neck/head. Then I bascially leave it alone. If you put your hands through it too much, it just seperates the wave and goes frizzy.

On the second day I can normally brush through it and I get a different look - not so wavy but I can wear it out too.

One great product that I have enjoyed is Nightblooming's Panacea. I have to apply it to dry hair or else it goes really sticky and tangly.

I think the rule is "less is more". Keep your routine simple. I like the Normal Tresseme naturals conditioner and I make sure I use a clarifying shampoo if my hair feels weird. I have been using Giovanni direct leave in conditioner but only because I'm trying to use the product up. I probably won't re-purchase it.

Hollyfire3
December 26th, 2011, 11:32 PM
I always have a halo of frizz in my hair - it's part and parcel with this hair texture. Now that you have stopped heat styling you want to get as much moisture into your hair as possible. I would suggest doing a treatment at least once a week if not twice a week. I did SMT's (4 parts cone-free conditioner, 1 part clear aloe gel, 1 part honey - combine and heat in mircrowave for 30 seconds - let cool, apply and then leave on hair for an hour. Cover with cling film and a hot towel) I also did coconut milk soaks where I soaked my hair in 1/3 can coconut milk for an hour and then washed it out using shampoo and following with conditioner.

The treatments made a big difference after several months. You really need to keep them up.

When I wash my hair, I shampoo and condition as normal. Then I finish with a cold rinse, put my hair up in a microfibre towel for about 5 minutes, then let it down and use my towel to scrunch my hair up to my neck/head. Then I bascially leave it alone. If you put your hands through it too much, it just seperates the wave and goes frizzy.

On the second day I can normally brush through it and I get a different look - not so wavy but I can wear it out too.

One great product that I have enjoyed is Nightblooming's Panacea. I have to apply it to dry hair or else it goes really sticky and tangly.

I think the rule is "less is more". Keep your routine simple. I like the Normal Tresseme naturals conditioner and I make sure I use a clarifying shampoo if my hair feels weird. I have been using Giovanni direct leave in conditioner but only because I'm trying to use the product up. I probably won't re-purchase it.

I think i have some coconut milk somewhere (goes to search kitchen...) i picked it up for the sole purpose of using it on my hair...currently, i use biolage shampoo and condiotner (and some quatum browns color depositing shampoo and conditioner to keep my color good) i use mousse for curly hair and air dry (soo hard to resit the urge to blow dry!) I want to try cassia, have you? I want to know if it works on this hair type...does the honey in the smt lighten hair? i have heard mollassas is a sub for it so i might just not risk the honey anduse that instead.

julliams
December 26th, 2011, 11:38 PM
Honey is supposed to lighten hair if you don't heat it. I have done quite a few treatments without heating the mixture and I think I have some lightening from it. It's hard to say but my hair is certainly lighter in some parts and I haven't dyed my hair at all.

Hollyfire3
December 27th, 2011, 12:00 AM
Honey is supposed to lighten hair if you don't heat it. I have done quite a few treatments without heating the mixture and I think I have some lightening from it. It's hard to say but my hair is certainly lighter in some parts and I haven't dyed my hair at all.

oh, well i wont want to risk it so im just gonna use mollassas...lol im sooo paranoid about lightening my hair

MonaLisa
December 27th, 2011, 12:59 AM
Self-trimming is a lot easier than it seems. I've been doing it for almost a year, and every time I feel more pro. Layers are harder though, but I think it's because mine are short and choppy ( from disaster haircut in a salon)....and normal long layers should be way easier to trim.
Although maybe they wouldn't turn out as nice as they are now.
In that case, if you really want to go to a salon - best advice is to find a proper stylist. Because if they cut 2 inches instead of 1, they can cut 3 or 4 just like that too....which makes maintaining a risk :) And if you want to maintain, you'll be taking that risk way too often.

MissAlida
December 27th, 2011, 04:27 AM
I have been doing the ponytail on top of my head method for trimming my own hair. I started around 3-4 months ago. At first, I only had a couple of hair strands to cut, but now, most of my layers reach up to the tip of my pony, and I can cut them. I trim once every week or two weeks, and take off just 2-3 mm-ers, so it is more like dusting. I also advise you do this when hair is soaked in conditioner and combed out very very well. Good luck, the method needs consistency, but it saves you money and disapointment.:)

lapushka
December 27th, 2011, 01:09 PM
This is similar to the ponytail on top of the head method but with shorter layers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF6quAXI0gM

Amber_Maiden
December 27th, 2011, 01:15 PM
That's basically what I plan to do.

luxepiggy
December 30th, 2011, 11:51 AM

I consider myself to be maintaining at hip. Since my hair doesn't really get splits, I normally leave it alone until it starts approaching the tailbone vicinity, at which point I cut it back to hip. Then I leave it alone again until it approaches tailbone once more, etc., etc. . . ad infinitum . . . you get the idea (^(oo)^)v

My hair is all one length with a blunt hemline so I self trim.

jojo
December 30th, 2011, 12:57 PM
I 3rd the pony tail trim or you could ask your sylist to take the very ends off, which if they normally take more than you ask, would get you the exact amount off :D

HintOfMint
December 30th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Like Jojo said, just ask for a smaller amount off. Rule of thumb is to ask for half of what you want. I also have layers and I wouldn't dream of being able to cut my hair myself so I can't really recommend it.

As for timing of haircuts, I prefer to cut to my goal length (hip when wavy) and then let it grow out from there. I love having fresh ends at my goal length, even though I don't get to keep it around that length for as long as I would if I cut it to just above my preferred length.