PDA

View Full Version : Proper detangling?

Hollyfire3
December 26th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Ok, i know i posted about how to keep my hair from tangling, but have accepted it as ineviadable. So, what is the best way to detangle, thick, wavy BSL hair without causing breakage? Best type of comb to use? What sort of products work? How often i should be detangling? Also, is it bad to leave hair tangled if you don't feel like untagling it the very second you wake up?

gothicchick
December 26th, 2011, 12:40 PM
my hair is straightish and mid back length, i find the best thing when wet is a very wide tooth comb, with some leave in condition. When dry i love my tangle teezer, it really does work a charm!!

hope i've helped somewhat :)

Hollyfire3
December 26th, 2011, 12:59 PM
my hair is straightish and mid back length, i find the best thing when wet is a very wide tooth comb, with some leave in condition. When dry i love my tangle teezer, it really does work a charm!!

hope i've helped somewhat :)

tehe, yes you have helped:). I do detangle when wet, every time im in the shower. I also use leave in conditioner most days. Does the tangle teezer cause breakage? Some people love it but others say it broke their hair? My hair has horrible tangles when dry, this is why i am askign if i am detanglign wrong.

Madora
December 26th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Here's the method I've been using for over 40 years:

On dry hair:

I bend at the waist and bring all the hair in front so that it hangs like a curtain.

Preliminary to detangling:

Finger comb. I found that using all my fingers like a mini rake did NOT work for me. Instead, I finger comb with 3 fingers at most.

I start from the roots and s l o w l y draw the fingers down the strands to the ends. I start at the right ear and work in small sections only. When one section is done, I move on to the next area, and so forth. Once all hair has been finger combed, it is time for detangling.

I use a wide tooth shower comb from Sally's Beauty Supply.

Take a SMALL section of hair, and working from the ends, comb down the strands a few inches. If you find a snarl, use your FINGERS to work the snarl free. Continue up the section of the hair, working gently and slowly.

Also, I've found that working on the snarl while it is held horizontally makes it easier to unsnarl. You manipulate the hair a little from the top of the snarl, then move to the bottom of the snarl, working both sides gently until the snarl has been removed.

When the small section of hair has been detangled, carve out another small section of hair and repeat the procedure.

You might wish to gently band together the hair you have already detangled to keep it separate from the untangled hair.

Once you have detangled all the hair, part your hair from the nape to the forehead so that it is in two sections. Hold the ends with each hand and stand erect.

Take the strands in your right hand and gently put them over your right shoulder and let them fall down your back. Do the same with the other side.

Do NOT toss/fling/throw your detangled hair over your shoulders. That will only cause the hair to become tangled again.

The more control you have over your tangles (by holding it then releasing it vs. just "tossing" it over your head) the better!

Comb the hair again to make sure it is free of tangles, then style as desired.

Wet detangling:

I use a special technique to lessen tangles in the shower when shampooing and conditioning and always slather my hair with conditioner. I section it as described above and work from the bottom up the strands. Once all the hair has been detangled, then it rinsed well with warm water, followed by a cold water rinse to close the cuticles.

Bottom line: You need to be patient and detangle slowly -- in small increments -- whether doing the detangling wet or dry. I do not use any products (apart from conditioner) when detangling as I don't want stuff on my hair that will attract lint/dust, or anything else.

I loathe tangle with a passion and do my utmost to keep them at bay as much as possible. I found wearing my bun braid on top of my head was ideally situated to avoiding tangles. For decades I wore two braids to bed and still had tangles to deal with in the morning. But wearing the bun braid has eliminated 98% of tangles and it takes me all of 2 minutes to detangle my hair in the morning.

pepperminttea
December 26th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Whatever tool you use, make sure it's seamless - most plastic brushes and combs are made in moulds, and where the two halves of the mould join, you often get little rough seams that can snag and rip your hair. Feel your brush/comb; if it's smooth on your fingertips, it'll be smooth on your hair. :)

Be gentle, and take your time. Don't detangle angry! ;) That's the biggest thing for me, doing it carefully and gently, and that's something to remember whether you're finger-combing, combing, or brushing. Start with shallow strokes at the ends of your hair, starting slightly higher on each time - don't start at the top, you'll just drag tangles down and tighten them up. Don't rip through when you hit a tangle - stop, and work it out gently with your fingers before you move on. If you find any fairy knots (when a single strand has knotted itself), if it's loose you can sometimes undo them with a needle and a lot of patience, but if it's tight, there's little you can do besides cut them off, otherwise other hairs will tangle around it. When you're detangling wet or damp hair, be even more gentle and very careful not to stretch it.

Good luck! :)

Delila
December 26th, 2011, 06:31 PM
I'm not sure that tangles are totally inevitable. I find that if I use certain products on my hair that it's much less likely to tangle.

For example, when I last washed my hair I used some GM Frizz Away and hair shine, basically a serum type product, IIRC. Since then my hair has been very slippy, not tangly at all.

For me, there's a trade off with such products, since my hair gets weighted down so easily.

At this point, I'm thinking I prefer the extra slip, and can cope with the chance of using too much.

Oh, and for me, it is basically essential that I deal with tangles ASAP. Waiting just makes them get bigger and harder to work with. On average, I detangle twice a day. Once on getting up, and again before bedtime before I braid my hair.

Hollyfire3
December 26th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all the help, i just hate taking the time to detangle my hair...but i love it so i will do it right now, thanks to you all. And to the one who said tangles are not inevatable, i don't like coney serums because it takes my waves out slightly and they build up too easily.

Copasetic
December 26th, 2011, 08:46 PM
I like to detangle in the shower when my hair is full of conditioner. I don't use a comb for this, just my fingers.

I find it's good to detangle when this way to take advantage of the extra slip that your conditioner provides you with. Other than that, detangle whenever you feel like you need to.

Hollyfire3
December 26th, 2011, 08:51 PM
I like to detangle in the shower when my hair is full of conditioner. I don't use a comb for this, just my fingers.

I find it's good to detangle when this way to take advantage of the extra slip that your conditioner provides you with. Other than that, detangle whenever you feel like you need to.

Yeah my hair is easier to detangle when in the shower but once it dries its heck, especially if its humid. I'm trying to cut out silicone products and they used to make detangling so easy, now i practiacally have to learn how to detangle my hair the right way in order to avoid damage, darn you thick waves...why cant i just had soft,fine, silky hair...

jacqueline101
December 26th, 2011, 10:25 PM
I use a leave in detangler take my time combing from the ends up. Be gentle and use a wide tooth comb. Use small sections.

Hollyfire3
December 26th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the help guys! I am sure to NOT rip my hair out now...i was before...so, use small sections a wide tooth comb and work slowly right? This should work, and Madora, thanks for the detailed description, it will surely comb (pun intended)in handy.:)

Carissamarie08
December 26th, 2011, 10:35 PM
I use S Factor silky smooth moisture serum with S Factor shine spray and a wide tooth comb, gets my hair super soft and very easy to manage. I love S Factor products.

Hollyfire3
December 26th, 2011, 10:59 PM
I use S Factor silky smooth moisture serum with S Factor shine spray and a wide tooth comb, gets my hair super soft and very easy to manage. I love S Factor products.

Is the serum cone based? i am trying to stay away from them...but i may try it if i get annoyed enough.

Carissamarie08
December 26th, 2011, 11:04 PM
Yeah it is cone based unfortunatly..my hair cannot survive without them...my hair is to dry.

Hollyfire3
December 26th, 2011, 11:07 PM
Yeah it is cone based unfortunatly..my hair cannot survive without them...my hair is to dry.

Oh, im starting to think the same about my hair...it is poofy, dry and oh so frizzy...im thinking a cassia treatment might helo but idk ive never tried it...

Carissamarie08
December 26th, 2011, 11:07 PM
I dont even know what that is, I should look at the thread.

Hollyfire3
December 26th, 2011, 11:10 PM
I dont even know what that is, I should look at the thread.

LOL neither did i till about 4 hrs ago...oh LHC we love you so...
hes the link i have been readiung
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=406&page=9

gothicchick
December 27th, 2011, 03:07 AM
tehe, yes you have helped:). I do detangle when wet, every time im in the shower. I also use leave in conditioner most days. Does the tangle teezer cause breakage? Some people love it but others say it broke their hair? My hair has horrible tangles when dry, this is why i am askign if i am detanglign wrong.

i'm never found my tangle teezer to cause any breakage, since using it i've had the least splits in ages, so i find it works well for me :)

Madora
December 27th, 2011, 06:48 AM
Thanks for the help guys! I am sure to NOT rip my hair out now...i was before...so, use small sections a wide tooth comb and work slowly right? This should work, and Madora, thanks for the detailed description, it will surely comb (pun intended)in handy.:)

You're welcome, Hollyfire3! Whatever type of comb you use, the trick to detangling successfully is to go slowly, in small sections. The small sections help isolate each tangle easily, as opposed to detangling larger sections of hair. It's important to get ALL the tangles out because if you don't, those tangled snarls can be like a tumbleweed...gathering more hairs so that the snarl becomes larger. You sure don't want THAT to happen!

leoninnu
December 27th, 2011, 08:45 AM
i'm never found my tangle teezer to cause any breakage, since using it i've had the least splits in ages, so i find it works well for me :)

For me I think it is that Tangle Teezer gives better "feedback" when brushing. When brushing with something with stiffer bristles it's yank and full stop unless I go frustratingly slow. TT takes care of most of the small tangles without worry and if there's a bigger one that I don't want to brush but work with my fingers I can feel it and stop brushing before any painful yanking can happen.

Hollyfire3
December 27th, 2011, 08:48 AM
You're welcome, Hollyfire3! Whatever type of comb you use, the trick to detangling successfully is to go slowly, in small sections. The small sections help isolate each tangle easily, as opposed to detangling larger sections of hair. It's important to get ALL the tangles out because if you don't, those tangled snarls can be like a tumbleweed...gathering more hairs so that the snarl becomes larger. You sure don't want THAT to happen!

LOL, i know what you mean! My hair often decides to tangle itself, all of itsefl into one big nasty knot compossed of smaller knots everywhere...i finnaly broke down and slept with a braid, look no tangles!:D

Hollyfire3
December 27th, 2011, 08:49 AM
For me I think it is that Tangle Teezer gives better "feedback" when brushing. When brushing with something with stiffer bristles it's yank and full stop unless I go frustratingly slow. TT takes care of most of the small tangles without worry and if there's a bigger one that I don't want to brush but work with my fingers I can feel it and stop brushing before any painful yanking can happen.

I like your name leoninnu:) I have been thinking of getting a tangle teezer but read some bad reviews saying it caused breakage, thats the only reason i asked. It sounds to work pretty well for most LHCers so i might just get one...

patienceneeded
December 27th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Another tangle teezer endorsement here. I have not found it to cause breakage at all. I find less hair in my TT than in any other brush I may use. I do comb it out first, and then use the TT. I do not use it on wet hair, just when my hair is dry. I have a goody wide-tooth seamless plastic comb that I use on both wet and dry hair that I also love.

Hollyfire3
December 27th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Another tangle teezer endorsement here. I have not found it to cause breakage at all. I find less hair in my TT than in any other brush I may use. I do comb it out first, and then use the TT. I do not use it on wet hair, just when my hair is dry. I have a goody wide-tooth seamless plastic comb that I use on both wet and dry hair that I also love.

I use a wide tooth comb, then i brush with a goody no pull brush, i think this is much like the tangle teezer, but bigger. If i do decide to get one, i will post about twhat i think about it. thanks again guys.

cjol1987
December 28th, 2011, 12:53 PM
My hair is straight, waist length, and super thick. I've found something that works really well to help me detangle and that trick is... dun dun dun... Suave for kids. Seriously, it's shampoo + conditioner + detangler, it smells delicious, and it's super cheap! You can feel the difference even as you're shampooing. I condition with my normal conditioner afterwards and have an much more easy time brushing. Hope that helps!

heidi w.
December 28th, 2011, 01:09 PM
Truth be told, I might go as long as 3 days between detangling sessions. Although on that final day, it'll take a while. But I then at least wear my hair up and out of the way for the 3 days of non-detangling.

Long hair and tangles, for most, is relatively inevitable. It's just part of the experience of long hair.

To this end, you have to decide then a comfortable length for you. For reasons such as this not everyone is comfortable with uber long tresses.

I have somewhat thick hair mostly because I have a fair amount of volume. So I have found I have to use an extra wide, wide-toothed comb. I purchase this comb from a GM salon. I have been able to order it over the phone, paying by credit card.

Here's a link to what I order. Scroll way down to the comb section.

This is the famous George Michael (or GM) Salon, now owned by Maria, in New York. A lovely woman, super nice, very gracious, and still in possession of beautiful hair.

http://madoralonghairheaven.com/madoraprod1.html
The PRODUCT page on their website
Scroll to the bottom to see a picture of Madora Detangler Comb, (Ivory) IV-#116

This comb has teeth that are a bit wider spaced than most average wide-toothed combs. I compared. That little extra bit of width makes it so I can actually get a comb through my hair at all.

I detangle generally from the bottom up. If I flip my hair over my head, whether gently or not, when I go to put my hair back, I wind up with more tangles. I do bend to one side, and detangle from essentially the bottom up, working out tangles working my way up, which can sometimes incite a tangle lower down and long strands are moved around and aligned more vertically. I do have problems at longer lengths with pin knots. IF I have too many problems with pin knots, I usually start thinking about trimming a bit. By that time it's about a year, or 1.5 yrs or more.

I do not detangle my hair when wet, although I do a little bit of organizing while wet. Wet hair is already stretched as much as it can stretch and combing can stretch it to snapping off point, so I take it easy and detangle wet hair as it dries. When it's all dry, then I detangle all of it more pristinely.

I have a bit of trouble handling the back of the neck hair, but I manage. You just have to arrive at your own technique for that area. It can be tough to reach all of it, and you can discover a bit of balled tangle in the back there. It's easy to think that it's all detangled, and it's not really. Time makes you the expert. My problem is that I'm short and can't really reach the opposite side really well from behind. But I've been short my entire life, and have worked around all my shortness problems so far.

Madora has beautiful hair, and I would second her advice. She sticks fairly well to GM (salon) principles. If you aren't her friend, endeavor to become one. She's one of the nicest ladies you'll ever know, and her hair album is a real inspiration. I've met her once in my life. She's a wonderful person. She detangles differently than I do, but her method is also is a sound technique.

heidi w.

heidi w.
December 28th, 2011, 01:11 PM
A big helper where tangles are concerned is to consider sleeping on a satin or silk pillowcase cover, or use a sleep cap, or braid the hair loosely for the night. De-braid in reverse order in the morning and you'll have fewer tangles, and less time to fuss with hair in the morning.

heidi w.

heidi w.
December 28th, 2011, 01:16 PM
I second taking your time, and if it's really thick, you may have to work in sections. I often find I have to work in sections. Use your fingers sometimes to pick apart a tangle.

For handling a tangle, do not continue to downstroke because you're just tightening the knot of the tangle. Instead, find the specific knot and kind of pull hairs feeding into the knot up (toward the sky) and to the side. This generally loosens the tangle and you can then use the comb, usually, and carry on then.

heidi w.

heidi w.
December 28th, 2011, 01:21 PM
People with frizz or curly hair concerns may well need to detangle while wet. An idea is to get a hold of a wide toothed comb, and have a vat of conditioner handy. Put conditioner on or in the hair, and then dip the comb in the vat of conditioner, over and over again, as needed, and detangle while in the shower and allow the shower water to help with that.

Then rinse out the conditioner once you've worked it all through the hair. Lots of people use this method, and it can really be a big help.

I also suggest using a detangler spray if you must. It's ok. No one's watching. Consider a kiddie detangler spray.

I have a shampoo product that helps with detangling, and it works really, really well, besides smelling wonderful too. But I just detangle along the way as my hair dries. I find unclumping wet hair helps to speed up air drying time. But it still requires time. More in winter than summer.

heidi w.

Madora
December 28th, 2011, 01:23 PM
[quote=heidi w.;1924719]A big helper where tangles are concerned is to consider sleeping on a satin or silk pillowcase cover, or use a sleep cap, or braid the hair loosely for the night. De-braid in reverse order in the morning and you'll have fewer tangles, and less time to fuss with hair in the morning.

Heidi W, thanks for the lovely comments. I second braiding for sleep at night but found that there was a world of difference between braiding in two braids vs. braiding your hair loosely in a single braid and coiling it on top of your head. I couldn't believe it. Before, with the 2 braid system, I'd have a few tangles but when I changed over to the other approach, it was like magic! I can detangle my long hair in only two minutes flat!

]

heidi w.
December 28th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Lots of people talk about finger combing, but for me, it absolutely breaks my hair off. And I despise the feeling that my hair is being pulled as long strands tend to wrap around my fingers. UGH.

But it does work for some folks.

heidi w.

DarkSky
December 28th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Here is another vote for the tangle teezer. It works amazingly after you get use to it. I use it on my hair when it's dry and wavy or straight and my little girls curly hair. The tangle teezer I noticed doesnt pull out or break as many hairs as other methods. Also the cries and ouchies are minimized.

heidi w.
December 28th, 2011, 01:26 PM
For decades I wore two braids to bed and still had tangles to deal with in the morning. But wearing the bun braid has eliminated 98% of tangles and it takes me all of 2 minutes to detangle my hair in the morning. [/COLOR]

I too did this for a while and still had some tangles at the back of my head after a night's rest. And I was sleeping on a satin pillowcase, too.

heidi w.

Hollyfire3
December 28th, 2011, 01:32 PM
I too did this for a while and still had some tangles at the back of my head after a night's rest. And I was sleeping on a satin pillowcase, too.

heidi w.

Yeah, the braid idea worked a bit, but my hair still found a way to tangel uggg! The braid just compated my hair and made it poofier when i DID brush it out...other nighttime style are welcome...

heidi w.
December 28th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Yeah, the braid idea worked a bit, but my hair still found a way to tangel uggg! The braid just compated my hair and made it poofier when i DID brush it out...other nighttime style are welcome...

1. I never had my braids fall out overnight.
Just hair at the back of my neck tangled. That's it.

2. If you brush and are having poofy hair, this suggests that you have curly hair. Brushing loosens the interwoven strands that create loop or coil of curled hair. Answer: don't brush. Use a comb, or consider finger combing.

3. Other night time styles, some do well with night sleepcaps?

heidi w.

Hollyfire3
December 28th, 2011, 01:49 PM
[quote=heidi w.;1924719]A big helper where tangles are concerned is to consider sleeping on a satin or silk pillowcase cover, or use a sleep cap, or braid the hair loosely for the night. De-braid in reverse order in the morning and you'll have fewer tangles, and less time to fuss with hair in the morning.

Heidi W, thanks for the lovely comments. I second braiding for sleep at night but found that there was a world of difference between braiding in two braids vs. braiding your hair loosely in a single braid and coiling it on top of your head. I couldn't believe it. Before, with the 2 braid system, I'd have a few tangles but when I changed over to the other approach, it was like magic! I can detangle my long hair in only two minutes flat!

]

2mins! I have GOT to try a braided bun for a sleep style! How do you secure it? How to you do it exactly?

Hollyfire3
December 28th, 2011, 01:51 PM
1. I never had my braids fall out overnight.
Just hair at the back of my neck tangled. That's it.

2. If you brush and are having poofy hair, this suggests that you have curly hair. Brushing loosens the interwoven strands that create loop or coil of curled hair. Answer: don't brush. Use a comb, or consider finger combing.

3. Other night time styles, some do well with night sleepcaps?

heidi w.

Thanks for all the tips! I have read through everyone of your posts on this thread, great ideas thanks so much! I know i have curlish hair, but i still brush because if i brush it down, u have a little less poof as opposed to using a comb...the poof isnt all that bad, i just noticed it more after taking out the braid. I might try a sleep cap but i will try madora's braided bun first, that sounds so promising. Thanks for all the help heidi w. your hair is GORGEOUS btw!:)

heidi w.
December 28th, 2011, 02:12 PM
I have often slept with my hair in some kind of updo. I find that after a number of days of doing so, I need to let my hair down for a night or two or I have a sore scalp from the constant drawing of hair in an orientation other than its direction of growth. But otherwise, updos have certainly lessened the tangles for the most part.

I have also slept in one braid at night, putting it off to one side.

heidi w.

Hollyfire3
December 28th, 2011, 02:19 PM
I have often slept with my hair in some kind of updo. I find that after a number of days of doing so, I need to let my hair down for a night or two or I have a sore scalp from the constant drawing of hair in an orientation other than its direction of growth. But otherwise, updos have certainly lessened the tangles for the most part.

I have also slept in one braid at night, putting it off to one side.

heidi w.

How long is your hair and what is your ponytail circumfrance? if you dont mind me asking...i am so curious just because your stats arent listed lol curiousity killed the cat! I do not know how to do a flatter updo, all of mine just sit their like a second head i would not want to sleep on those...what updos work fo sleeo dos for u?

heidi w.
December 28th, 2011, 02:28 PM
How long is your hair and what is your ponytail circumfrance? if you dont mind me asking...i am so curious just because your stats arent listed lol curiousity killed the cat! I do not know how to do a flatter updo, all of mine just sit their like a second head i would not want to sleep on those...what updos work fo sleeo dos for u?

Hollyfire, I don't keep track of hair stats. It just doesn't matter because my hair is gonna do what it's gonna do, no matter what I do. Benign neglect is my overall stat. I just let it be and try not to fuss with it too much. And I wear it up almost all of the time. I guess it's around 57 or 59 inches now, about mid-calf length. I cut it back to mid-calf recently. It wasn't looking very good at the hemline, so I trimmed back in August. I have a hair photo in my album of my recent trim, if interested. I hardly ever measure my hair anymore. I'm happy that I got what I got, so I just don't otherwise care a whole lot as to the nitty gritty statistics. I'm pent up enough.

I no longer wear my hair in an updo when I sleep. I'm lazy. Also, my hair tends to stay put wherever I put it for the night. I put it above my head and off to the side while I sleep. It's heavy enough it stays put for the most part.

I have worn braids up for the night. They do get a bit loose, but they don't fall out on me. I've slept with bobbypins or a hair stick still in my hair. It comes loose during the night but it doesn't fall out. Well, let's see, the stick might, but not usually. I just pin the braid into place after wrapping the braid around my head. I can't sleep if it's on the back of my head: gives me a terrible crick in my neck and doesn't make for restful sleep, unfortunately.

Just keep experimenting. Something will work eventually for you.

heidi w.

Hollyfire3
December 28th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Hollyfire, I don't keep track of hair stats. It just doesn't matter because my hair is gonna do what it's gonna do, no matter what I do. Benign neglect is my overall stat. I just let it be and try not to fuss with it too much. And I wear it up almost all of the time. I guess it's around 57 or 59 inches now, about mid-calf length. I cut it back to mid-calf recently. It wasn't looking very good at the hemline, so I trimmed back in August. I have a hair photo in my album of my recent trim, if interested. I hardly ever measure my hair anymore. I'm happy that I got what I got, so I just don't otherwise care a whole lot as to the nitty gritty statistics. I'm pent up enough.

I no longer wear my hair in an updo when I sleep. I'm lazy. Also, my hair tends to stay put wherever I put it for the night. I put it above my head and off to the side while I sleep. It's heavy enough it stays put for the most part.

I have worn braids up for the night. They do get a bit loose, but they don't fall out on me. I've slept with bobbypins or a hair stick still in my hair. It comes loose during the night but it doesn't fall out. Well, let's see, the stick might, but not usually. I just pin the braid into place after wrapping the braid around my head. I can't sleep if it's on the back of my head: gives me a terrible crick in my neck and doesn't make for restful sleep, unfortunately.

Just keep experimenting. Something will work eventually for you.

heidi w.

Tehe, well regardless of stats, your siggy pics say it all, your hair is amazing! I thank you fo these awsome tips, now off to experiment! I wish i can have hair like yours some day...

heidi w.
December 28th, 2011, 02:41 PM
Tehe, well regardless of stats, your siggy pics say it all, your hair is amazing! I thank you fo these awsome tips, now off to experiment! I wish i can have hair like yours some day...

You wait long enough and you will. You'll see. Patience. Remember, the tortoise won the race, not the hare. Thank you for the compliment. To me this is now my normal.

heidi w.

Amber_Maiden
December 28th, 2011, 02:54 PM
I use a Tangle Teezer, and if I hit a bad tangle, I use my fingers to untangle it. I have had to cut out tangles before though.

Hollyfire3
December 28th, 2011, 03:10 PM
You wait long enough and you will. You'll see. Patience. Remember, the tortoise won the race, not the hare. Thank you for the compliment. To me this is now my normal.

heidi w.

Oh wow, i wish that were my normal, but like you said, one day!:)

Hollyfire3
December 28th, 2011, 03:11 PM
I use a Tangle Teezer, and if I hit a bad tangle, I use my fingers to untangle it. I have had to cut out tangles before though.

Lol i have heard good things about the tangle teezer...i am considering one...congrats on being pregnant! (lol i read your siggy!):D

CurlyMopTop
December 28th, 2011, 08:29 PM
I detangle with my fingers in the shower as I rinse out my conditioner. If I have to detangle when it's dry (like once a month maybe) I use my tangle teezer. :D I wear my hair up almost all the time so it detangles fairly easy now.

gogirlanime
December 28th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Here's the method I've been using for over 40 years:

On dry hair:

I bend at the waist and bring all the hair in front so that it hangs like a curtain.

Preliminary to detangling:

Finger comb. I found that using all my fingers like a mini rake did NOT work for me. Instead, I finger comb with 3 fingers at most.

I start from the roots and s l o w l y draw the fingers down the strands to the ends. I start at the right ear and work in small sections only. When one section is done, I move on to the next area, and so forth. Once all hair has been finger combed, it is time for detangling.

I use a wide tooth shower comb from Sally's Beauty Supply.

Take a SMALL section of hair, and working from the ends, comb down the strands a few inches. If you find a snarl, use your FINGERS to work the snarl free. Continue up the section of the hair, working gently and slowly.

Also, I've found that working on the snarl while it is held horizontally makes it easier to unsnarl. You manipulate the hair a little from the top of the snarl, then move to the bottom of the snarl, working both sides gently until the snarl has been removed.

When the small section of hair has been detangled, carve out another small section of hair and repeat the procedure.

You might wish to gently band together the hair you have already detangled to keep it separate from the untangled hair.

Once you have detangled all the hair, part your hair from the nape to the forehead so that it is in two sections. Hold the ends with each hand and stand erect.

Take the strands in your right hand and gently put them over your right shoulder and let them fall down your back. Do the same with the other side.

Do NOT toss/fling/throw your detangled hair over your shoulders. That will only cause the hair to become tangled again.

The more control you have over your tangles (by holding it then releasing it vs. just "tossing" it over your head) the better!

Comb the hair again to make sure it is free of tangles, then style as desired.

Wet detangling:

I use a special technique to lessen tangles in the shower when shampooing and conditioning and always slather my hair with conditioner. I section it as described above and work from the bottom up the strands. Once all the hair has been detangled, then it rinsed well with warm water, followed by a cold water rinse to close the cuticles.

Bottom line: You need to be patient and detangle slowly -- in small increments -- whether doing the detangling wet or dry. I do not use any products (apart from conditioner) when detangling as I don't want stuff on my hair that will attract lint/dust, or anything else.

I loathe tangle with a passion and do my utmost to keep them at bay as much as possible. I found wearing my bun braid on top of my head was ideally situated to avoiding tangles. For decades I wore two braids to bed and still had tangles to deal with in the morning. But wearing the bun braid has eliminated 98% of tangles and it takes me all of 2 minutes to detangle my hair in the morning.

This is SO helpful! I have been wondering what a good detangling method would be and this sounds promising to me. Thank you!