PDA

View Full Version : Day 2 on CG method

novemberfoxtrot
December 26th, 2011, 12:09 PM
I'm getting read to embark on the Curly Girl train. But I"m wondering what people do over night to have lovely curls the next day.

Also, while I"m at it.... can I just use coconut oil as my heavier conditioner if I were to go the CO route?

Kira94
December 26th, 2011, 12:17 PM
I don't know what others do, but I usually pony tail my hair on each side to sleep in or leave it loose lying above my head, then spritz some water on in the morning and scrunch. Sometimes with a bit of conditioner or gel depending on if I feel like it or not.
As for the oil instead of conditioner, I don't know. I hope someone else can answer your question. :)

Shesta
December 26th, 2011, 02:03 PM
I wouldn't recommend coconut oil as second conditioner. Maybe something lighter.

angiescurls
December 26th, 2011, 04:52 PM
I'm also transitioning to the CG method (I have some coney leave-ins I want to use up first)! As for overnight you might try pineappling your hair (all gathered up on top of your head with a loose-ish elastic or scrunchie) while sleeping on a satin/silk pillowcase, or even using a sleeping cap to reduce frizz and tangles. In the morning I spritz with water and a little leave-in and that's about it. You can also braid or rope braid your hair loosely before bed and take 'em out in the morning which gives a nice pattern..

novemberfoxtrot
December 26th, 2011, 05:17 PM
Tonight's going to be my last sulfate wash and then I'm going CO. I'll try pineappling soon.

coffinhert
December 26th, 2011, 05:25 PM
I use 50/50 castor coconut as a leave in and itm akes my waves very defined but a little piecey/oily looking.

manderly
December 26th, 2011, 06:43 PM
I sleep in a triangle shaped hair net - not the tiny ones, but the old big ones that women used to wrap around their rollers in the 50s. I got mine at Sally's for under $4.

Tie it around my head like Rosie the Riveter, and have all my hair piled on top of my head (while I tie the net around it, head upside down).

I get almost perfect day 2 hair. Day 3, notsomuch.

Copasetic
December 26th, 2011, 08:42 PM
I put a little coconut oil on my hair, then put on a sleep cap that I found in the "ethnic" hair care section of Wal Mart. I get great second day hair with that method.

novemberfoxtrot
December 26th, 2011, 08:42 PM
I sleep in a triangle shaped hair net - not the tiny ones, but the old big ones that women used to wrap around their rollers in the 50s. I got mine at Sally's for under $4.

Tie it around my head like Rosie the Riveter, and have all my hair piled on top of my head (while I tie the net around it, head upside down).

I get almost perfect day 2 hair. Day 3, notsomuch.

Kind of like a second plopping?

manderly
December 26th, 2011, 08:47 PM
Basically - only with dry hair :)

I tie the left and right side together at the top of my head after they get wrapped around the back under my head, then I flip my head and pull the third point up over my curls and tuck it into the knot.

Works the best from what I've tried so far :)

Kira94
December 27th, 2011, 12:54 AM
Ooh, I'll have to try that Manderly! I find my method gets my curls back but my hair is a bit flatter, so this may help. :)

moon2dove
December 27th, 2011, 09:35 AM
To keep my curls fresh, Every other day or sometimes every day, if they need revitalizing. I wet my hair then scrunch a tiny amount of conditioner through the curls, then very gently separate them, then leave them alone.
I would not use Coconut oil in place of a conditioner. (I also Co-wash)
At night, I sleep in a satin cap - Most mornings, I can get away with finger combing and a gentle comb through!

novemberfoxtrot
December 27th, 2011, 10:43 AM
To keep my curls fresh, Every other day or sometimes every day, if they need revitalizing. I wet my hair then scrunch a tiny amount of conditioner through the curls, then very gently separate them, then leave them alone.
I would not use Coconut oil in place of a conditioner. (I also Co-wash)
At night, I sleep in a satin cap - Most mornings, I can get away with finger combing and a gentle comb through!

So, you use two conditioners in the shower then?

manderly
December 27th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Ooh, I'll have to try that Manderly! I find my method gets my curls back but my hair is a bit flatter, so this may help. :)

This tends to make the hair on the back/underside get flat, which isn't noticeable until about the 3rd day. :) But the remainder of the visible hair stays all poofy and curly.

novemberfoxtrot
December 28th, 2011, 10:20 AM
did a dry replop last night. It's so nice not to wake up with bed head!