PDA

View Full Version : dfferent ways to wash hair

gothicchick
December 26th, 2011, 11:42 AM
hello, just wondering if someone can tell me a bit more about CO washing, WO washing and whatever else there is.

just wondering if it would have any benefits for my hair, at the moment i just do it in the standard way, starting with tresemme deep cleanse, scalp and lenghts, then my very expensive F.A.S.T shampoo and F.A.S.T conditioner... can't say if this have actually had any effect on my hair growth, i hope so though, being £25 +

Hollyfire3
December 26th, 2011, 12:44 PM
I don't know much so i will tell what i do. Co washing is washing with conditioner only first you use a basic (few ingredients) conditioner like you would shampoo and rinse, then you take a richer conditioner and use like usual. This type of washing is often recomended to curlies or wurlies because it adds moisture, what they are in desperate need of often. WO washing mean water only washing. It is a bit hard to explain and i know little of it but from my understanding, it is usuing the natural oils the scalp makes to clean your hair. It is a long process with a transition period where you may have very greasy hair. The goal is simplicity and being able to not depend on products for good hair. You wet your hair, preen it and let the water distribute the natural oils. You are allowed to use non product cleaners such as vinegar rinses or lemon rinses and baking soda also instead of shampoo and conditioner. It sounds scary to me, but some people have great results. Another form of washing is CSC or whatever the name is, you coat the hair in conditioner before shampooing to protect it, then you put conditioner on after shampooing like usual. How often do you wash your hair? this can contibute to its health and growth. Is the tresseme deep cleanse a clarifying shampoo? This might be too harsh for your hair. The easiest one to try would be the conditioenr on your hair before shampooing method, this seems to be good for those with fragile or damaged hair needing protection. You can also dilute your shampoo if you feel it is too harsh. Remeber to do a deep treatment at least once a week. You can always try the SMT (Snowy moisture treatment). WO only washing is a big commitment and i'm not sure of the overall benifits. CO only might be good, but it seems most effective on curlier hair.

gothicchick
December 26th, 2011, 12:53 PM
I don't know much so i will tell what i do. Co washing is washing with conditioner only first you use a basic (few ingredients) conditioner like you would shampoo and rinse, then you take a richer conditioner and use like usual. This type of washing is often recomended to curlies or wurlies because it adds moisture, what they are in desperate need of often. WO washing mean water only washing. It is a bit hard to explain and i know little of it but from my understanding, it is usuing the natural oils the scalp makes to clean your hair. It is a long process with a transition period where you may have very greasy hair. The goal is simplicity and being able to not depend on products for good hair. You wet your hair, preen it and let the water distribute the natural oils. You are allowed to use non product cleaners such as vinegar rinses or lemon rinses and baking soda also instead of shampoo and conditioner. It sounds scary to me, but some people have great results. Another form of washing is CSC or whatever the name is, you coat the hair in conditioner before shampooing to protect it, then you put conditioner on after shampooing like usual. How often do you wash your hair? this can contibute to its health and growth. Is the tresseme deep cleanse a clarifying shampoo? This might be too harsh for your hair. The easiest one to try would be the conditioenr on your hair before shampooing method, this seems to be good for those with fragile or damaged hair needing protection. You can also dilute your shampoo if you feel it is too harsh. Remeber to do a deep treatment at least once a week. You can always try the SMT (Snowy moisture treatment). WO only washing is a big commitment and i'm not sure of the overall benifits. CO only might be good, but it seems most effective on curlier hair.

thankyou for the info!!! at the moment i try to wash my hair twice a week unless it gets unusually greasy. i use dry shampoo at my roots to get rid of oilyness. i can't see WO working for me, it would seem like i'm not cleaning my hair properly. And yes the tresemme one is a clarifying one. I'd never considered that would be too harsh for me actually, but i suppose my hair is fragile, it has bleach underneath unfortunately.

Hollyfire3
December 26th, 2011, 12:57 PM
thankyou for the info!!! at the moment i try to wash my hair twice a week unless it gets unusually greasy. i use dry shampoo at my roots to get rid of oilyness. i can't see WO working for me, it would seem like i'm not cleaning my hair properly. And yes the tresemme one is a clarifying one. I'd never considered that would be too harsh for me actually, but i suppose my hair is fragile, it has bleach underneath unfortunately.

yes, i read your other thread, bleach makes your hair fragile and i recommend changing to a moisturiszing or less harsh shampoo. Most of us on here only clarify once a month or so. Twice a week washing sounds healthy, but remember, using dry shampoo mean you have more to wash out come wash day. Do you heat style? If so, this could also contibute to the stall in growth you say you have on your other thread. It takes time to reconize what works for you, be patient and examine what you do currently, then tweek it to be better.

gothicchick
December 26th, 2011, 01:04 PM
yes, i read your other thread, bleach makes your hair fragile and i recommend changing to a moisturiszing or less harsh shampoo. Most of us on here only clarify once a month or so. Twice a week washing sounds healthy, but remember, using dry shampoo mean you have more to wash out come wash day. Do you heat style? If so, this could also contibute to the stall in growth you say you have on your other thread. It takes time to reconize what works for you, be patient and examine what you do currently, then tweek it to be better.

ahh i see ok then. i shall start clarifying less straight away!!

and i don't heat style often tbh, maybe once or twice every two weeks. i try to go with my nautral movement (or lack off) and i often roller set it or finger wave which i find gives me nice results

Hollyfire3
December 26th, 2011, 01:09 PM
ahh i see ok then. i shall start clarifying less straight away!!

and i don't heat style often tbh, maybe once or twice every two weeks. i try to go with my nautral movement (or lack off) and i often roller set it or finger wave which i find gives me nice results

Oh good, well with the twice week washings and little heatstyling, you seem to be on the right path! You can try braiding your hair while damp, this will give pretty waves. Your can try pin curls, rag curls or even headbad curls (there's a thread on that somewhere on here...) if you want waves o curls. To completly flatten, try wrappign your hair while damp, if you have some natural volume, this may be good because that mean your hair will not be as flat after wrapping. There are many many options for heat free styling and you can always just put your hair up when you dont do anythign to it.

gothicchick
December 26th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Oh good, well with the twice week washings and little heatstyling, you seem to be on the right path! You can try braiding your hair while damp, this will give pretty waves. Your can try pin curls, rag curls or even headbad curls (there's a thread on that somewhere on here...) if you want waves o curls. To completly flatten, try wrappign your hair while damp, if you have some natural volume, this may be good because that mean your hair will not be as flat after wrapping. There are many many options for heat free styling and you can always just put your hair up when you dont do anythign to it.

yes i'm all for heat free styling!!! what i do use often is something called mycurl. it's a new thing by an austrilian hairdresser, i met him in london!!!! their like perm rods as such. they can either be used by rapping your hair around and clamping or straightners or sleeping in them, which is what i do. i can get some lovely results with them, i would show you a picture but i'm not sure how i a photo to my message xD

Hollyfire3
December 26th, 2011, 01:49 PM
yes i'm all for heat free styling!!! what i do use often is something called mycurl. it's a new thing by an austrilian hairdresser, i met him in london!!!! their like perm rods as such. they can either be used by rapping your hair around and clamping or straightners or sleeping in them, which is what i do. i can get some lovely results with them, i would show you a picture but i'm not sure how i a photo to my message xD

You can post pics by copying and pasting the photo to a normal post, i would love to see the pics! My hair is too thick to take all that time to curl with an iron.

suzye
December 26th, 2011, 01:56 PM
I'd recommend reading Flaxen's Useful Links - all you need to know! (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=7804)

I'm also new here and when I first got on the forum, this article was a godsend.

gothicchick
December 26th, 2011, 02:19 PM
I'd recommend reading Flaxen's Useful Links - all you need to know! (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=7804)

I'm also new here and when I first got on the forum, this article was a godsend.

oh really? i'll have to check that out!!!

gothicchick
December 26th, 2011, 02:20 PM
You can post pics by copying and pasting the photo to a normal post, i would love to see the pics! My hair is too thick to take all that time to curl with an iron.

yes that takes me forever too!!! in the morning i'll dig out my external hard drive and post the picture for you :)

gothicchick
December 27th, 2011, 02:12 PM

here's the results of using 'mycurl' overnight

file:///F:/DCIM/100MEDIA/IMAG0245.jpg

gothicchick
December 27th, 2011, 02:13 PM
here's the results of using 'mycurl' overnight

file:///F:/DCIM/100MEDIA/IMAG0245.jpg

dammit, it won't work :(

lapushka
December 27th, 2011, 02:20 PM
dammit, it won't work :(

You first need to upload that picture to an external source, like imageshack or photobucket or your album here, then link to that source. Linking to a spot on your hard drive is not the way to go.

gothicchick
December 27th, 2011, 02:22 PM
You first need to upload that picture to an external source, like imageshack or photobucket or your album here, then link to that source. Linking to a spot on your hard drive is not the way to go.

i see, how do i upload to my album on here?

lapushka
December 27th, 2011, 02:28 PM
i see, how do i upload to my album on here?

Go to your "UserCP", click on "Pictures & Albums", then "Add Album", then upload pics to it. Next get the URLs to the pics and link away.

It might be easier to just upload to imageshack (http://www.imageschack.us) or some other source then copy/paste the links.

gothicchick
December 27th, 2011, 02:34 PM

my hair curled with 'mycurl'

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=122090&albumid=9397&dl=1325021374&thumb=1 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=9397&pictureid=122090)

gothicchick
December 27th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Go to your "UserCP", click on "Pictures & Albums", then "Add Album", then upload pics to it. Next get the URLs to the pics and link away.

It might be easier to just upload to imageshack (http://www.imageschack.us) or some other source then copy/paste the links.

thank you :)

lapushka
December 27th, 2011, 02:49 PM
thank you :)

You're welcome! :)