PDA

View Full Version : Hair-related nicknames you like or dislike?

piffyanne
December 26th, 2011, 12:56 AM
My boyfriend calls me Rapunzel sometimes, and I could kiss him to within an inch of his life when he does (I love the movie, I love the fairytale, and I love the nickname! Also, I've got one weird lock of hair midway back along the side of my head from my part that's the length eyebrow-length bangs would be, but it's in the WRONG place to be bangs! When I first saw it, I was all like "What on earth!?" I've been eyeing it for months, and it doesn't seem to have gotten any longer. I really DO feel like Disney's Rapunzel when I look at that short bit of hair! How did it happen and why won't it go away? DBF calls it my "Rapunzel snip" or another permutation of the idea. He seems to think it's cute, although it's always escaping into a random side-of-the-head ringlet, and won't stay down when I slick my hair back into a bun or a ponytail or a braid AAAAAAAAAAURGH >breathes< Sorry, de-railed my own thread!:D).

On the other hand, a man who's in and out of my office ALWAYS calls me "Amish Lady" because of my hair. He seems to think I'm required to keep it this long or something. Love the Amish, HATE the nickname. Oh, well.:rolleyes:

Any stories?

MonaLisa
December 26th, 2011, 01:02 AM
Lucky you!
My DBF now calls me baldy....due to my little undercut.
Do I even need to say how much i hate it and wanna smash his head :o

Mommyof4
December 26th, 2011, 01:03 AM
Amish lady? He could be more original lol.. It sounds like he has a very limited life experience in the world of hair and beliefs about long hair ;)

I used to get "dumb blonde" constantly! Now that it's dark I get alot of "Snow White" and my DH usually calls me vampire girl... he seems to think that I darkened my hair because of my Twilight addiction.. nope :) I showed him a picture of Adriana Lima and told him that I had wanted to look like her since I was 12 and started shopping at Victoria's Secret.. but he still calls me "vampire girl".. I don't mind though.. I don't see him often, so any connection we have, especially any memory with him is great :)

Mommyof4
December 26th, 2011, 01:04 AM
Lucky you!
My DBF now calls me baldy....due to my little undercut.
Do I even need to say how much i hate it and wanna smash his head :o

Aw :( He will learn to like it! Undercuts are sultry IMHO :D

Quixii
December 26th, 2011, 01:07 AM
I don't know why, but I don't seem to get nicknames much. At all. :shrug:
One of the very few nicknames I get at all is Rapunzel. I think it's nice but it doesn't mean that much to me. DBF and I did see the movie together, and one of the first things he ever noticed about me was my long hair - so it has nice connotations. :)

white.chocolate
December 26th, 2011, 01:07 AM
Some people who are new to or dislike long hair refer my hair to "Cousin It". There's no relevance whatsoever. It's just silly.

MonaLisa
December 26th, 2011, 01:08 AM
Hahaha I hope so! :flower:
Twilight addiction made me try henna, for a tiny bit of red that shows in the sun :o

Jessibear2854
December 26th, 2011, 01:16 AM
I hate being called by my hair color. Even strangers will yell out, "Hey, Red!" once in a while and it's really annoying.

RapunzelKat
December 26th, 2011, 01:21 AM
I get called Rapunzel by everybody, or at least it seems that way sometimes :D SO, family, friends, coworkers, people who barely know me.... I've always taken it as a compliment.

Back when I was in high school and had long hair, I used to get Cousin Itt every now and then. I never minded - Cousin Itt has pretty awesome hair IMHO ;)

Alex Lou
December 26th, 2011, 01:25 AM
I hate being called by my hair color. Even strangers will yell out, "Hey, Red!" once in a while and it's really annoying.Oh, I get called "Red" too. Doesn't bother me too much but I do roll my eyes. Also "Atomic Fireball" briefly. I'm sure that it didn't stick due to the number of syllables.

Mommyof4
December 26th, 2011, 01:28 AM
Hahaha I hope so! :flower:
Twilight addiction made me try henna, for a tiny bit of red that shows in the sun :o

haha! yeah, I was thinking about try to get copper brown hair because of that movie :p It's funny how we LHC'ers think of our hair when we watch a movie or read a book... my husband thinks I need "hair rehab" hehehe :p

DancingQueen
December 26th, 2011, 01:53 AM
I was once called witch-hair, and I don't think it was a compliment... But back then I did not know how to take care of my hair. If my hair right now is witch hair, I really don't mind. :D

Dragon Faery
December 26th, 2011, 03:17 AM
No nicknames (not yet, anyway). People tend to just assume I'm an ethnicity other than white/cacasian, but that may have more to do with the color than the length.

Lissandria
December 26th, 2011, 03:35 AM
My mum used to have alliteration nicknames for my sister and I when we were little based on our baby hair. Our surname starts with an F, so I was Floss F***** and my sister was Fuzz F*****. My sis is also known as Lady Godiva for her long blonde hair. Once or twice I've been called "curly", too. LOL.

Shesta
December 26th, 2011, 03:39 AM
No one ever called me any nicknames :( especially hair-related.

Snippety
December 26th, 2011, 04:58 AM
When I had a shaved head I used to get called Robbie (apparently I looked like Robbie Williams) and Mrs Potato Head. With longer hair my brother used to refer to it as Hag Hair which I initially disliked, and then kind of owned :D

neverever
December 26th, 2011, 05:25 AM
My bf nicknme for me is angel because of my blonde curls I think. And I have heard that from others too. It's kinda sweet :D But I dont think I'm anything like an angel in other ways haha

jacqueline101
December 26th, 2011, 06:44 AM
Mine never gave me a nick name just comments on my curly hair.

Avital88
December 26th, 2011, 06:58 AM
Pocahontas is most regular and i love the name :D

WaitingSoLong
December 26th, 2011, 07:14 AM
Lady Godiva, Rapunzel, Princess Leia (when I wear dual cinnabuns). I don't care, they are not said mean.

My dd has been called Rapunzel, too. She was just telling me all the reasons she wanted me to cut her hair the other day. She said 2 of her friends called her "horse hair" which sounds kind of mean but was actually a compliment as they love horses and their long flowing manes.

long&blonde
December 26th, 2011, 07:49 AM
I get "Valkyrie" a whole lot, (so much I considered it as being my "next" tatoo for awhile). Lady Godiva too. Seeing the beautiful hair of the LHC'ers w/"Lady Godiva" nickname, I now want to google her to see who they've meant! I like them both.
I too think of my hair,any movie I watch.
Switching to salon for color,from doing color myself,saves me here:first scene of the movie, I'd see a lead characters hair & shade & think "oh oh", knowing I'd be attempting the shade later that night.

kaiakai
December 26th, 2011, 07:57 AM
Princess Leia (when I wear dual cinnabuns).

I've gotten that one, too. I don't mind too much.

irishlady
December 26th, 2011, 08:02 AM
I got called Mozart a few years ago when my hair decided it wanted to be a 2c and was somewhere around BSL...by my brother. I also got told I look like a King Charles dog around that time...by my brother lol :p
Aww I miss my curlier hair...oh well.

Kelikea
December 26th, 2011, 08:06 AM
I've been called "Strawberry" or "Little Mermaid." Its fun when your friends do it as a compliment:)

starlamelissa
December 26th, 2011, 08:09 AM
I get Ariel as a nickname most consistently, cuz of the thick long red hair I have. I get tee shirts, Disney store memorabilia, and once an Ariel shower curtain as gag gifts.

I also get "hey red!" and Lucy as nicknames less often.

Forgot to add, I love the little mermaid stuff! I hope one day I will actually get the movie! Lol

Madora
December 26th, 2011, 08:33 AM
I get called Rapunzel by everybody, or at least it seems that way sometimes :D SO, family, friends, coworkers, people who barely know me.... I've always taken it as a compliment.

Back when I was in high school and had long hair, I used to get Cousin Itt every now and then. I never minded - Cousin Itt has pretty awesome hair IMHO ;)

You said it, RapunzelKat!

Madora
December 26th, 2011, 08:37 AM
The manager of a photoshop I frequented mentioned on several occasions that my hair looked like a horse's tail. I rather liked that analogy because I'm a horse nut from way back.

Dorothy
December 26th, 2011, 08:39 AM
My partner was given the name Red, for her curly red hair, when she was involved in sports as a girl. It's become her name, and now that I henna my grey hairs, we are known collectively as Red at our neighborhood brewery. I like it because it is her name, and I always wanted red hair. Now that I am old I can have it, and when someone calls me red, I am very pleased.

DARtheSTAR
December 26th, 2011, 08:40 AM
My parents call me blondie, which I don't mind and think its cute.

When I was much younger I dyed my hair dark brown almost black and my bf then said I had witch hair which was said obnoxiously.

blue_nant
December 26th, 2011, 08:53 AM
No nicknames (not yet, anyway). People tend to just assume I'm an ethnicity other than white/caucasian, but that may have more to do with the color than the length.

DragonFaery: My hair is a lot lighter than yours and its length also isn't THAT remarkable on the reservation. I know several gents with hair pretty long. but not as long as mine, but no women with really long hair. Some really (really) lovely straight native hair, but not usually very long, about waist or hip.

girlcat36
December 26th, 2011, 09:02 AM
I have been called Broomhilda, which was meant to be derogatory. I have been getting called Pocohontas for years, which I don't think is meant to be good or bad. I have a penchant for twin braids; that with my olive skin and strong nose make look quite Native American.

emeraldfaery
December 26th, 2011, 09:37 AM
I used to get "Hairy Kari" when my hair was longer. It didn't bother me too much I guess. My name is Kari so it worked.

Modarunner
December 26th, 2011, 09:45 AM
When I was living in Italy and had really blonde hair the guys would always call out, "bionda" (blonde). It used to drive me crazy because *no duh* I have blonde hair. I finally dyed my hair brown to keep from hearing that.

eta: My track coach in high school and my ex-dbf's sister used to call me "blondie" as well. I guess it wasn't just the italian guys.

lunalocks
December 26th, 2011, 10:42 AM
My first post! So glad to join this community after hair lurking for a while...

My daughter also has 33 inch hair. The woman who trims our hair (every 3 months) call us her long haired lovelies.

Our NIA teacher says we have Amazon Hair.

Mrs. D
December 26th, 2011, 11:49 AM
On the other hand, a man who's in and out of my office ALWAYS calls me "Amish Lady" because of my hair. He seems to think I'm required to keep it this long or something. Love the Amish, HATE the nickname. Oh, well.:rolleyes:

He must be related to the jerk at work who tell me I look like an old Scandinavian woman. Really? I that the best they can come up with?

Hollyfire3
December 26th, 2011, 12:23 PM
I have been called Piper from Charmed (I LOVE the show, so with the long thick brown hair, the nickname follows) I have been called cousin IT, (lol bad blow dryer, and evil hair, don't ask...) Not much else though...wish people were more creative...:)

Kira94
December 26th, 2011, 12:28 PM
I haven't gotten any nicknames yet, guess my hair isn't long enough. :)

jel
December 26th, 2011, 01:48 PM
My man used to call me Lara Croft when I wore a single braid; nowadays it's much longer, and he just calls it "whippity tail". When my hair is down, he calls me "Mermaid-hair".
:)

tinywife
December 26th, 2011, 02:19 PM
I was Boy Indian for several years as a kid. Probably owe it to my long dark hair, deep tan and tomboyish ways.

StormVixen
December 27th, 2011, 06:26 AM
I get called Crystal Tipps (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0eZjJZzNB4) a lot, usually by my mum, it annoys me... sometimes Goldilocks which I don't mind so much...

Ms Strangelove
December 27th, 2011, 06:37 AM
Haven't got any nicknames yet, but if I get a grip on my skin and grow my hair long enough, I'm aiming on Snow White! =D

metricfuture
December 27th, 2011, 07:07 AM
Pippi. Thanks for the braids, mom.

WaitingSoLong
December 27th, 2011, 08:59 AM
A few more I think I have heard: pippi longstocking, heidi, goldilocks, barbie.

spike316
December 27th, 2011, 04:35 PM
A guy at work called me Jessica Simpson once (allow me to emphasize once!), the same guy also called me Joan Jett because I wore a purple tye dye zebra print top. I went ahead and took that one as a compliment. Other than that when I used to stock shelves with a bunch of guys at a grocery store they would call me blondie or goldie. My most common nickname though is "Spike" which is derived from my last name and not hair related, but leaves people delightfully confused. ^_^

xoerincolleen
December 27th, 2011, 05:47 PM
I get called "ginge" or "gingey" all the time. My hair isn't even red. -__- I can't say I'm really bothered by it though.

I've also been called Ariel, but I didn't mind because it was by a burly firefighter man at the gym, which was humorous.

PraiseCheeses
December 27th, 2011, 05:54 PM
I heard "Goldilocks" or "Blondie" pretty frequently, and usually from a strange man as a prelude to some inappropriate question or comment. I'm not exactly appropriate myself, so this never really bothered me and most of those guys got more than they bargained for when I would either retort or complete their dirty joke for them. :D And then there was the soccer coach I had for three YEARS who called me by these nicknames because he couldn't be bothered to remember my very unusual but two-syllable, perfectly phonetic first name. That bothered me.

xoxophelia
December 27th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Before I colored my hair brown I would be told I look like a viking :S

Or I guess this isn't really a nickname but during that same time I was a lifeguard and so overly tan (meh) and my hair got bleached out from the sun so it was very blonde. I had people saying that I was "perfect" because I was tall, tan, blonde, and blue eyed like a "tennis star"?
Which... I thought was weird. So I dyed my hair brown and tried to get as white as possible. ;)

Jinglelocks
December 27th, 2011, 07:48 PM
The commonest one I've gotten is princess. "Mommy, is she a PRINCESS?" from little girls on four separate occasions are memories I keep!

My own personal nickname for myself in reference to my hair is "fluff cadet".

My least favorite is "Cousin It".

Amber_Maiden
December 27th, 2011, 08:33 PM
Cousin it... and Hippie (though that only bothers me sometimes, because I know I'm a hippie).

KwaveT
December 27th, 2011, 08:49 PM
I don't really get nicknames. I definitely get put downs though from those that don't like my hair. My mother describes my hair as a "mess" the other day or "nasty" because CO wash. She refers to the way my hair curls and flips outwards as the aforementioned mess.

Naphthylamine
December 28th, 2011, 03:29 AM
My classmates used to call me Galadriel or Goldmoon (from Dragonlance) when I was 13-14 years old. My hair was around BSL back then! I'm at BCL now, but not a single Galadriel compliment anymore, no :(

But a professor in my department calls me "The Fairy", so I guess that is something, right :crush:

Other than that, I'm simply "the girl with long blond hair" around here..

auburntressed
December 28th, 2011, 04:15 AM
I was called cousin It a few times by family when I was very, VERY small. Aside from that, I have had no hair related nicknames over my life - and no nicknames really at all.

I used to get a lot of incredibly rude comments directed at me because of my hair, but no nicknames.

Now that I think on it, I don't think anyone in my "away from the house" life has ever seen me with my hair down at this point in my life, so that may be why. :confused: When I go to work, my hair is either bunned or braided. When I got out, even to Wal-Mart, it is braided usually and bunned sometimes. I french braid my hair and drape it over my shoulder so that it never gets caught between my back and the back of a chair, so the braid itself loses some length visually.

drquartz1970
December 28th, 2011, 05:38 AM
I have been called Hagrid (from Harry Potter) and sometimes Rob Zombie. I take it as a light hearted humourous compliment. I happen to like both of these characters so it doesn't faze me. Being called Caveman wasn't so cool but i have a thick skin and shrugged it off as silly comment.

Diamond.Eyes
December 28th, 2011, 12:03 PM
I get called a ginger quite often by my peers. I don't mind being called a ginger, even though my hair is more red than ginger. I just don't like when people use it in a negative way towards me. I find the South Park jokes about gingers to be the most immature and annoying. They are borderline racist in my opinion.