PDA

View Full Version : To Trim Or Not To Trim??

ClassicalBlonde
December 25th, 2011, 10:40 PM
I am currently growing out a bad haircut that has what seems like millions of layers and I would like to know if it is best to just trim off all the damage now or to cut it off gradually as it grows? Naturally, I want my hair to be healthy, so I don't want to keep the old ends if it will eventually lead to damage but I don't have much length and I hate losing what little length I have! Maybe taking just some of the damage off is better than nothing?

piffyanne
December 25th, 2011, 11:10 PM
:grouphug:I don't have any advice, but I do know what it's like to get hair cut shorter than you wanted! I'll be lurking and wafting pleasant vibes towards you as you get other replies!:)

MonaLisa
December 26th, 2011, 01:00 AM
Hi, I also had bad haircut last year. It was still long but soooo many layers that the ends looked transparently thin and damaged. I Couldn't get myself to chop all at once, but instead got 2 BIG trims...grew back fast..
I think you should trim as much as you can handle, and still be ok with the length...it sure helps, and those ends will have to go sooner or later.

white.chocolate
December 26th, 2011, 01:04 AM
I know how that feels. I suggest that you trim off as much as you can so that later you won't have to be battling with a lot more split ends than you originally have now.

neverever
December 26th, 2011, 05:17 AM
I agree with the others. If you want to get rid of the layers in the first place I think it would be a good idea to cut off the longest layer first and than continue to do that til all of the hair is the same length. If the shortr layers are not too damaged... If they are you could just micro trim them... ? And between the chops you can wair as long as you like, so you dont end up having really short hair.

I'm planning to do something like this with my layers. But I only have those round my face and unfortunately its there my hair is the most fragile so I need to cut those layers more than the rest... Thats not really satisfying :(

Anyways, good luck!

jacqueline101
December 26th, 2011, 06:49 AM
I'd get rid of the layers and let it grow from then on.

lapushka
December 26th, 2011, 11:32 AM
I'd cut gradually, especially since you don't seem to have a lot of length.

coffinhert
December 26th, 2011, 11:36 AM
Saw you on the "growing out layers" thread. Ah the age-old question, to cut or not. I just cut my longest layer last night, I'm quite pleased actually. I was going to wait a few months more but it was just so damaged, and so much longer it didn't blend at all, like a mullet, it was driving me nuts.

If you trim it, cut ONLY the longest layer!!! I can't emphasize this enough. Otherwise you're working backwards. What I did was take all the shorter layers and put them up in a clip. Then trimmed 1/2 inch or so off the bottom layer. Good luck with your decision.

savfairy
December 26th, 2011, 11:40 AM
I had the same experience. I grew my hair to mid-back length without cutting the layers and it looked awful on the ends. So i decided to cut it to APL and now have only one layer left to grow out. I feel like it was DEFINITELY worth it, my hair looks a lot better now.

lunalocks
December 26th, 2011, 11:44 AM
I took the plunge a few years ago, and cut off 5 inches to get rid of damaged hair. I never regretted it. Hair grows.

Xawanlaya
December 26th, 2011, 12:21 PM
What if you had about 0.5 inch cut off your lower layer until all the layers are grown out and then continue for further some months to grow it healthy?

Xawanlaya
December 26th, 2011, 12:24 PM
What if you had about 0.5 inch cut off your lower layer until all the layers are grown out and then continue for further some months to grow it healthy?
What I meant was to cut 0.5 inch of your hair once a month, but I geuss I forgot to mention that.

coffinhert
December 26th, 2011, 12:29 PM
I've been doing 0.5" every two months, similar idea!

ClassicalBlonde
December 26th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Thanks everyone for posting :)

I think I will go ahead and trim the longest layer off now. My hair is very fine and gets damaged very easily. Besides, those little scraggly ends are driving me crazy!!! The worst of the damage (so far) is only around the last 2 inches from the tips anyway and after that it is mostly tolerable. Microtrims will be good for those layers I think, just to keep them fresh.

coffinhert
December 26th, 2011, 07:12 PM
Your hair is softer more often, if you cut 1/2 inch off every month, versus 2 inches every 4 months. Because that way your damaged ends are removed more frequently. That's what I've found from microtrimming so far.

justgreen
December 26th, 2011, 07:19 PM
I grew out three layers. I used to keep the top part of my hair 'bangs' length. So I had two stacked layers , long ones, on top of my hemline, for years. I would get those layers 'dusted' along with my hemline, about every 6-8 months.

ClassicalBlonde
December 28th, 2011, 11:44 PM
I did it! I've just cut off around 2 inches and my hair already feels so much better! I actually didn't realise my ends had become so dry until I felt the new ends. I think I'll keep an eye on it with regular microtrims from now on. Thanks everyone!

Amber_Maiden
December 29th, 2011, 10:59 AM
It's really up to you. I cut 13in off my hair in the last year, tiny bits off at different times.