PDA

View Full Version : Why would oils make it harder to comb thru hair?

shikara
December 25th, 2011, 10:14 PM
Ive used coconut, jojoba, castor, and olive oil. I believe I dont use too much or too little, but it seems increase the velcro edfect. Does anyone know why this would happen?

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/th_a5642814.jpg (http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/?action=view&current=a5642814.jpg)

ClassicalBlonde
December 25th, 2011, 10:17 PM
Hi there! I use either jojoba oil or apricot oil on my hair and I have noticed this too, so I would also love to know the answer to this.

Alvrodul
December 25th, 2011, 10:18 PM
Do you clarify regularly? Oils often causes buildup, which requires clarifying. certainly, the "velcro" effect sounds like buildup to me!

shikara
December 25th, 2011, 10:28 PM
My hair does not do this just after a wash, only once I apply oil.

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/th_a5642814.jpg (http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/?action=view&current=a5642814.jpg)

Modarunner
December 25th, 2011, 10:35 PM
I find that if I oil my ends before I comb out my tangles it actually makes it easier for me to detangle my hair and knots loosen easier than if I try to do it without that first. Now I do notice that the oil does attract dust particles and fuzz and I find that fuzz in a lot of the tangles I get.

Maktub
December 25th, 2011, 10:36 PM
For mine, because it attracts so much more DUST !! (the only thing I don't like about using oils)

This, or buildup of anykind on the hair

cheetahfast
December 25th, 2011, 10:48 PM
My hair does not do this just after a wash, only once I apply oil.

Hmm, interesting! My hair is the opposite, it becomes so soft after I oil. I've never experienced velcro ends though.

What is your hair like naturally? Mine is a tad dry.

Mommyof4
December 25th, 2011, 10:51 PM
Sounds like build-up to me... Maybe you should try a different oil? Argan and avocado oil have been the oils that my hair seems to like the most.. Castor oil ALWAYS made my hair sticky/velcro-like to comb through...

shikara
December 25th, 2011, 11:32 PM
Sounds like build-up to me... Maybe you should try a different oil? Argan and avocado oil have been the oils that my hair seems to like the most.. Castor oil ALWAYS made my hair sticky/velcro-like to comb through...

I dont think its build up because when my hair dries its very easy to fingercomb, which is my method. I add the oil because my hair feels a little dry, but perhaps its not really dry, just not the silky feel I got when using cones. I think its fairly healthy too.

Mommyof4
December 26th, 2011, 12:06 AM
I dont think its build up because when my hair dries its very easy to fingercomb, which is my method. I add the oil because my hair feels a little dry, but perhaps its not really dry, just not the silky feel I got when using cones. I think its fairly healthy too.

I'm sorry.. I should've clarified :) I was thinking that maybe the oil causes a "build up" effect on your hair strands on/in the cuticle.. like maybe it just doesn't agree with your hair.. Your hair does look very beautiful and healthy :D

white.chocolate
December 26th, 2011, 12:46 AM
For mine, because it attracts so much more DUST !! (the only thing I don't like about using oils)

My hair also gets dusty after applying oil! It's becoming quite irtitating already! It makes me want to wash my hair a day earlier, as it just gets dustier and dustier everyday.

kidari
December 26th, 2011, 01:16 AM
My ends can get velcro-like if I use coconut oil sometimes, which is why I never put it in my hair after a wash. I would heavily oil before a wash. However, if I use jojoba on it when it's dry or after a wash very lightly I never have had problems with the velcro ends effect. I guess it depends on your hair and the type of oil you use? I'm thinking of trying almond oil or avocado oil next because I'm really liking the effect on lightly oiling my ends after a wash.

Shesta
December 26th, 2011, 04:20 AM
I agree that oils attract more dust and that might be the reason for the velcroity (??whats the word) :D You can try a lighter oil probably.

lastnite
December 26th, 2011, 04:45 AM
oils do that to my hair too. I only use oils before wash days, or if my hair is going to be bunned up for a long time. When I wash them out they do leave my hair silky.

my hair seems to attract dust oiled/unoiled...especially in the winter, dry heat and wearing sweaters and hoodies over my head..I find alot of lint left in my hair. the tangleteezer is great for removing the dust, lint and loose hairs btw, just not so great for doing the actual detangling.

Dragon Faery
December 26th, 2011, 05:17 AM
I fingercomb only, but I noticed that with coconut and jojoba my hair would feel more "grippy". Maybe this has to do with the waxy consistency these oils can have? It probably greatly depends on how consistency reacts with hair type, and maybe damage.

Avocado oil worked at smoothing out my ends. Now I'm trying sweet almond oil, and I may like it better than the avocado. I'm currently using it as a leave-in, as a smoothing serum, and as a nightly conditioning treatment.

BeautifulSoup
December 26th, 2011, 05:43 AM
I have a similar issue with using oils. I've used jojoba oil (just a few drops) a couple of times now, but when I finger comb more hair seems to come out than usual. The idea of oil is appealing but doesn't work for me.

jacqueline101
December 26th, 2011, 06:40 AM
Its build up.

CurlyMopTop
December 26th, 2011, 07:17 AM
I have had this same issue with every oil that I've tried so far. My theory is that my hair is low porosity, fine and healthy. It will only take in what it needs and only with heat. The rest just coats my hair (sits on top) making my hair stick together. I've decided that my hair doesn't need or like oil. :D I have the same problem with coatings in shampoo, conditioner, and other products whether they're made with natural ingredients or have silicones/sulfates. I've come to the conclusion that in my case, the less products I use the happier my hair is. ;)

ktani
December 26th, 2011, 07:42 AM
What are you putting the oil over? If you are using it as an oiling oil over conditioner it maybe build-up or the oil is just not compatible with the conditioner.

Also some oils like sunflower and hemp and safflower oil are drying oils that become resinous on exposure to oxygen.

There can be several reasons why you got the effects you have had with oils.

spidermom
December 26th, 2011, 10:20 AM
Oil attracts dust, lint, and pet fur to my hair. Therefore, I only use it as a pre-wash treatment, and after washing I use a bit of coney serum, which helps immensely with detangling. I do believe that my hair benefits from the oil.

ktani
December 26th, 2011, 10:51 AM
I tried a bit of white baby oil (minersl oil) myself on my catnipped hair - just a few drops - last week - to see how non greasy it can be and it worked very well. I visited relatives with 2 cats, 2 dogs and a hamster everyone played with.

My hair did not attract any fur or dust and when I washed it a few days later, the mineral oil washed out as if it had not been there. While I do not need to use it, it worked out very nicely.

Ashenputtel
December 26th, 2011, 10:54 AM
If your hair is dry, you should try putting more moisture in it. Oils do not moisturize.

ktani
December 26th, 2011, 11:00 AM
If your hair is dry, you should try putting more moisture in it. Oils do not moisturize.

Used on damp hair oils help hold moisture (water) in hair. Mineral oil does that better than vegetable oils and still allows water vapour from the air to enter hair. Mineral oil and silicone do not prevent all moisture from accessing hair. That is a myth.

If you pile on too much of any product so that you get build-up, even silicone free, oil free conditioner, you can get very dry hair and velcro ends.

ETA: I should have specified that when I experimented with the mineral oil, my hair was damp.