PDA

View Full Version : CO or baby shampoo...?

NymphSpirit
December 25th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Hello! Here I am, asking questions again :D well, right now I'm a bit insecure about what to do with my hair routine; I've been wanting to change it for a while, I tried to do bs/acv rinses but I failed miserably, I couldn't stand the adaptation period *sigh*, so I went back to my same old sulfate/cone routine... Tomorrow I was going to buy baby shampoo (To make sure it is 100% sulfate free) and try it. Buuut... something related to CO came up, got me interested and now my silly head is actually considering it :o... If you follow the CO path(? I have a little question(s) for you...Is there an adaptation time? Is it nearly as bad as going WO?

Ah, I don't know why I can't just relax and let the beningn neglect flow :o

starlamelissa
December 25th, 2011, 10:20 PM
First off, are your sulphates and cones you are currently using making your hair unmanageable? Is not, no reason to change routine.

If your scalp is dried out and itchy, try baby shampoo. It cleans nicely, I prefer baby aquaphor baby wash to the gold baby shampoo you see everywhere.

Co washing isn't all that consistent for me, takes time and money.and honestly I think my scalp needs a good scrub with shampoo to be healthy. Like I'd rather wash with soap than body lotion, ya know? But lots of curly haired ladies love it, probably cuz their hair is different than mine. I am a wavy who plays it straight.

Any who, benign neglect baby, it's my favorite way to grow. Why not invest that shampoo money in a pack of scrunchies? So you can put it up and forget about it for a while?

Mommyof4
December 25th, 2011, 10:56 PM
Most baby shampoos have ingredients that I prefer to stay away from... Maybe they are more diluted so they are less harsh?? If you want to go CO.. I would use ACV rinses when you need to clarify and CO with a light conditioner like V05 or Garnier Fructis Pure Clean..

I had NO adaptation period with CO.. as long as you don't use a heavy condish, your hair should feel clean :) I like to wash with the conditioner like it is shampoo, then condition with it, leave it on for 5 minutes, rinse my roots well, and done :D

I've never had a greasy scalp or felt "dirty" haired this way.. Good luck!

woolyleprechaun
December 26th, 2011, 12:21 AM
Baby shampoos can supprisingly be pretty harsh. They are formulated to be gentle on the babys eyes, and to clense about an inch if fine, silky hair. Ive tried....and dont reccoment! I C/O occasionaly. I did it for every wash when my hair was in poor condition, but now its oilier I find a bi-weekly sulphate shampoo does me just fine. :)

Ashenputtel
December 26th, 2011, 12:37 AM
Why do you want to change routine? For the environnement or for your own vanity? That could help us suggest you other methods.

MyKing'sQueen
December 26th, 2011, 01:43 AM
I would go with co, since I've heard baby shampoos can be pretty drying on hair (something about being alkaline so they don't irritate the eyes). I didn't have adjustment period with co, but you have to use good amounts of conditioner(handfuls) to make your hair pretty slimy with it, massage it into scalp very well and rinse, rinse, rinse))) I really like strawberry Suave for co-washing. Hope it works for you))

Shesta
December 26th, 2011, 04:16 AM
I've had the same doubts and after trying baby shampoo for a couple of times I know I would never go to it again. It is drying out my hair more than the SLS poo I was using before this.
You can try CO washing or CWC routines if you feel like experimenting.

furnival
December 26th, 2011, 04:24 AM
Tomorrow I was going to buy baby shampoo (To make sure it is 100% sulfate free) and try it.

Baby shampoos aren't necessarily sulphate-free, or gentle on the hair.
I CO, never had any transition period. There's a massive thread on CO-washing if you have a quick search. :)

Callque
December 26th, 2011, 05:39 AM
I did not have a transition period with CO. Just make you are using no silicones or your hair won't feel clean.

I've heard baby shampoo can be very drying for the hair.

I've been using CO for about a month and I have just gotten a non-sulfate shampoo to use about once a week/every two weeks just on my scalp to make sure my hair follicles are getting clarified. Lots people say that washing with CO is enough to clean your scalp, but I just want to make sure no gunk is getting built up in it, because over time clogged hair follicles can cause hair loss.

I think you should try CO (I love it!) and if you don't like it, you can just switch over to CWC with a non-sulfate shampoo.

I use Suave Naturals Ocean Breeze Conditioner (very heavy moisturizer) for my CO wash and Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition (fairly light moisturizer) as my conditioner. I just got the Shea Moisture Curl & Shine Kit which includes their Curl & Shine Shampoo (No sulfates, has coconut oil in it, and watch out because it does contain silk protein). You can get it at Target. I'm not sure if you can buy the shampoo separately. I haven't tried the shampoo yet.

NymphSpirit
December 26th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Thank you all for your advice :) I went to buy a cone free conditioner today, spent 15 minutes reading ingredientes, and they all had dimethicone, all of them, even V05 did, I found one herbal conditioner without dimethicone and fairly interesting ingredients, but it costed $23, so, yeah, I'm not going to CO wash with it :o

As for the sulfate free, every shampoo in Buenos Aires seems to have sulfate ¬¬, even the ohsonatural herbal brand had. I guess I'll have to go to a wholesale store to see if I can find at least one sulfate free shampoo and, hopefully, a cheap cone free conditioner... Once again, thank you all!