PDA

View Full Version : Waves for straight hair?

chrissy-b
March 14th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Hey all.

I'm looking for any info on how to get waves in super straight hair. Something I can leave in overnight. I've done overnight braiding but I've never liked how it looks and I would think curlers would be hard to sleep in (I toss and turn a lot).

I know there was a post on the old forum but don't remember who posted it.

Any info would be much appreciated. :):):)

Meli
March 15th, 2008, 05:48 PM
I don't know if I'm much of a help for you but have you tried different kinds of braids? For me, the braidwaves turn out different depending on what kind of braids I use. My regular sleep braids make the waves look a bit weird - straight hair on my head and part of the nape, big waves at the rest of the nape and small waves at the ends because of my taper. For special occasions I usually part my hair in four parts - first in the middle and then across the head from ear to ear. Then I Dutch/French braid each part and add ribbons/knitting yarn as the hair tapers to keep the braids even all the way down. This creates equal sized 2b-looking braidwaves all over my hair, from the scalp and down to the very ends. My taper and the ribbons/yarn pieces allow me to braid all the way down so there are no hairs at all in the tassels. I don't know how this would work with a blunt hemline, though...

Kirin
March 15th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Try "rag rolling". To do this you use strips of cloth, rolling your hair gently around it, then tying the ends of the "rag roll". Very comfy, makes nice curls.

Aibell77
March 15th, 2008, 06:10 PM
I remember a post from someone (I think from the long hair loom) who did a high ponytail and divided the (damp) hair and rolled them into rolers. Then she put a scarf over it and slept with this. She got amazing big curls after this. I haven't tried this, but it looked great on her...

spidermom
March 17th, 2008, 10:42 AM
I will put a ponytail on the top of my head and then roll the ends with spongy rollers.

chrissy-b
March 17th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Thank you all for the ideas. I'll give them a try and see which one works the best.

Melisande
March 17th, 2008, 03:41 PM
I do many smallish buns, lightly misted hair and held with soft scrunchies. Gives lovely waves when I open them in the morning. The smaller the buns, the tighter the waves.

Flying Betty
March 17th, 2008, 09:32 PM
A couple of small buns on top of the head works pretty well, and it lets you roll over without having hair lumps on the back of your head.

HerbalAnnie
March 17th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Alatariel has very straight hair. She gets good curls with:
Sponge rollers all over her head.
Twisted pin curls.
"Bee Butt" curls - similar to twisted pin curls but you keep twisting them until the coil up like little bee hives all over.
Rag curls, but I have to help her with those, so she doesn't get them very often.

Raederle
March 17th, 2008, 09:52 PM
I used to think my hair was straight until I let it dry fully after a shampoo, and discovered I had a lot of wave. Dry fully meant no fingercombing in the shower. No real manipulation of the hair other than scrunching in Beauty Without Cruely Leave in until it was completely dry. Then gentle fingercombing, and I still had waves.

Darian Moone
March 17th, 2008, 10:09 PM
My hair is absolutely stick straight.

I get waves by braiding in 4 sections: I part my hair all the way down the middle, front to back as if I were going to wear pigtails. Then I divide each side into 2 sections, an upper and a lower section. I mist them well and braid. In the morning I get nice even waves.

To get curls I use rag (cloth) curls as described in a thread above. Another way is to either put my hair in pigtails or a high pony tail and curl the ends on sponge rollers. Sometimes I'll set my whole head on sponge rollers without using the ponytails. If I do that, the tightness of the curl will depend upon how wet my hair was when I rolled it. (For example, my siggy pic was taken the next day after I had slept with my hair rolled in sponge rollers almost dry - just barely, barely misted at the root (gives lift) and at the ends just a bit.

For a volume/shaping set I use the really big so-called magnetic rollers (about the size of orange juice concentrate cans). These are incredibly uncomfortable to sleep on, so I will sometimes just set the top portion of my head in the magnetic rollers, then I set the lower part in my own home made "rollers" made of sweat socks. I roll the sock up tight and tie it in 2 or 3 places with yarn so it stays in the shape of a roller. Then I set my hair on them and hold it in place with super large bobby pins. I'll usually tie a scarf around my head for support so the whole deal doesn't get to heavy. It's really easy to sleep on because of the softness of the sweatsocks, and having my canopy set in the magnetic rollers gives the look of a more perfect curl than the sweat sock rollers do.

To set my hair (if I use anything at all), I either use my own mist/leave in spray, or Sebastian Potion No. 9. HTH.

Nightshade
March 18th, 2008, 07:52 PM
All the methods listed are great! I recommend misting with AO Sea buckthorn detangler and Curl Enhancer (http://www.aubrey-organics.com/product1.cfm?product_id=759) before you put your hair up or rag roll it. I dilute mine and still get awesome bun curls that keep their form nicely when I take my hair down.

FoxFire
March 18th, 2008, 08:00 PM
I think I was the one to start the thread on the old boards. I tried lots of stuff suggested but this seemed to work for me:
I have pretty straight hair, but got good results with a pony tail/sock curler attempt.
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj31/goattrainer/LeahsHair014.jpg

This is the first time I tried it, but I think it came out pretty well:
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj31/goattrainer/LeahsHair020.jpg

BTW, I sprayed kimberlily's hair mist in as I was rolling. The curls stayed like the pic for probably 3-4 hrs, then really started to go straight.

HTH

Pat
March 18th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Well my hair is so strange that even though it looks wavy in the avatar pic if I run my fingers through it ... it tends to be straight! What I do is that I sleep in a high scrunchie bun and waves are great in the morning. During the day I wear it up in the same type of bun and put it down when I leave the office.

HeatherAngela
March 21st, 2008, 10:41 AM
Im my experience, a dutch braid will leave me with nicer waves than a french braid if left in overnight. I still end up doing a 1/2 up with the waves because the top is still stick straight.

Darian Moone
March 22nd, 2008, 07:21 PM
Btw, Foxfire, I just had to stop back in and say that your hair is absolutely gorgeous! It's just stunning!!!!

Phalaenopsis
March 23rd, 2008, 03:12 AM
I was also looking for a way to get waves and I think I have found it. I do two french braids. And if you fold the tassles, everything should be nicely waved.
I have a picture here, but here I forgot to fold my tassles, so you can see a little of my hair that is still straight. The great thing about french braiding is that almost all your hair on your scalp is waved too.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a6/naturalgirl/poof.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a6/naturalgirl/poofonherkenbaar.jpg

Darian Moone
March 23rd, 2008, 11:44 AM
Those are gorgeous waves Phalaenopsis !

Lisa-Maria
March 23rd, 2008, 11:47 AM
I like the braidwaves I get but when I want different waves I bun it. Works pretty well with my straight hair.

AntiHairSlave
March 23rd, 2008, 12:02 PM
Two strand twist... pin curls... big braid outs.... or bantu knots. maybe even rag curls if your hair is long it will just look wavy if you do big enough sections.

FoxFire
March 25th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Btw, Foxfire, I just had to stop back in and say that your hair is absolutely gorgeous! It's just stunning!!!!

Thank you!:o

Anje
March 25th, 2008, 07:59 PM
For something looser and more subtle, I've found that a wet untwisted inside-out bun, left to dry, results in rather nice loose curls, especially on the ends.