PDA

View Full Version : Silk pillowcase vs. Satin pillowcase

Sister13
December 25th, 2011, 05:22 PM
So I've read the threads here with interest and finally got the silk after being a long-time satin user. Both cut friction which is great for edges and length and tangle prevention.

I don't wake up with sweaty damp face or back of my head. The silk does seem to absorb moisture and breathe better than satin.

So I say there is a margin of difference by which silk is better.

And you don't have to buy one -- just recycle a silk shirt or gown.

Next I'm sewing a silk sleep cap & mask.

That's my report from the hair trenches.

What is your experience with these fabrics?

vanity_acefake
December 25th, 2011, 05:27 PM
I sleep with a satin pillowcase I made and a silk sleep cap. I have found no problem with either other than I seem to remove the sleepcap in my sleep!
The only problem with the satin pillowcase is it does sometimes escape on to the floor as it is slippy.
Love them both. They don't harm my hair and each morning is full of surprises. Will I still have my sleepcap on? Will I still have a pillow? Will I still have both? Or will I have none and find my dog on my pillow on the floor, wearing my sleepcap?

AnnaJamila
December 25th, 2011, 05:29 PM
I sleep with a satin pillowcase I made and a silk sleep cap. I have found no problem with either other than I seem to remove the sleepcap in my sleep!
The only problem with the satin pillowcase is it does sometimes escape on to the floor as it is slippy.
Love them both. They don't harm my hair and each morning is full of surprises. Will I still have my sleepcap on? Will I still have a pillow? Will I still have both? Or will I have none and find my dog on my pillow on the floor, wearing my sleepcap?

Haha, cute! We need an emoticon for that . . .

pepperminttea
December 25th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Satin isn't actually a fabric, it's a smooth weave; you can get synthetic (usually polyester) satin and silk satin. :)

Complete ditto though - the silk breathes so much better! Synthetic satin still helps cut down on friction compared to cotton, but trying it was a very sweaty experience. :o

Kelikea
December 25th, 2011, 05:40 PM
I have a satin pillowcase and slumber cap. They both help my hair stay neat. I am looking for silk now. I would rather have a natural, breathable fabric. Does anyone know where to get a slumber cap that would fit over all my hair? Bonus if its silk or available on amazon!

ravenreed
December 25th, 2011, 05:44 PM
I have both silk and polyester satin pillowcases. The silk breathes better but the polyester is definitely better at reducing friction. I use both depending on my mood and how hot it is in the house. I am more likely to use the silk in the summer and the poly satin in the winter.

Modarunner
December 25th, 2011, 10:52 PM
I absolutely love my silk pillowcase and I'm so glad I found one. I used to have a polyester satin one and I couldn't stand the feel of it. I would sleep on it because it better for your hair, but I would find my self longing for my cotton pillowcase. Since switching to silk, the cotton pillowcases are too rough. I'll never go back since I found silk.

julliams
December 25th, 2011, 11:14 PM
Satin isn't actually a fabric, it's a smooth weave; you can get synthetic (usually polyester) satin and silk satin. :)

I second this. The topic therefore is polyester satin vs silk satin. For me, the poly satin is going to be warmer and perhaps create static so I go for silk every time. No question.

I love my silk satin pillowcase and I'm going to order another couple so I always have one on hand in case the other is in the wash.

GoldberryHair
December 26th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Where do you find silk pillowcases? I'm sure amazon has them, but as far as an actual store? I looked at like Kohls and JCP but didn't see any...or would JoAnn Fabric have silk I could sew myself?

ravenreed
December 26th, 2011, 07:51 PM
I ordered mine from Dharma Trading (http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/1384272-AA.shtml). I dyed it with Kool Aid in my microwave. A fun little project. :)

Where do you find silk pillowcases? I'm sure amazon has them, but as far as an actual store? I looked at like Kohls and JCP but didn't see any...or would JoAnn Fabric have silk I could sew myself?

suzye
December 26th, 2011, 11:07 PM
This is kind of off topic but I don't want to start a new thread. Anyone who has a silk pillowcase or cap - which one would you recommend more? I'll want to get one or the other, but I'm not sure which one is more practical?

In2wishin
December 27th, 2011, 07:56 AM

I bought these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-Silk-50-Cotton-Standard-Pillow-case-19mm-1200TC-/370476038774?pt=Sheets&var=&hash=item9503887692

They are a blend of 50% silk and 50% cotton and very reasonable at $20 for a pair (after shipping is added). They have held up through a number of washings over the past 7 months or so that I have had them.

WaitingSoLong
December 27th, 2011, 09:09 AM
Satin isn't actually a fabric, it's a smooth weave; you can get synthetic (usually polyester) satin and silk satin.

Define fabric? I am a bit confused by this.

I have satin cases. I would bet they are synthetic, they were like $8 each. I got mine at Sally's, the only place I could find a slippy case I can afford. I have had them 2+ years and they degrade a bit each time they are washed but are still slippy.

I had to sleep on a cotton case not that long ago (forgot my pillow) and it felt like a cheese grater on my hair compared. I have a silky sleep cap I made, it is TB length, out of a silky pair of pajamas, the stretchy kind. I don't always use it, sometimes I braid instead.

One of my pillows usually ends up on the floor but not as often since I don't use silk sheets anymore.

Never had trouble with static.

pepperminttea
December 27th, 2011, 10:02 AM

Perhaps "material" would have been a better word? Satin isn't a material, like silk, cotton, or wool. It's a way of weaving a material to make it smooth. So you can get satin made from polyester, or made from silk.

(Hoping that made more sense? :))

girlcat36
December 27th, 2011, 10:23 AM
I started with poly satin since it was cheaper, but it gave me acne on my face. So now I have silk, I bought them from Dharma trading. I will never go back to cotton!

I was hospitalized for a week a few years ago, and neglected to bring my silk pillowcase. I was pretty sick after discharge for a few weeks as well and my silk pillowcase was the last thing on my mind. I was in bed for three weeks total, sleeping on a cotton pillowcase.
I was horrified at the amount of splits in my hair from just those three weeks that I regressed back to a cotton pillowcase! Never again!
I need to buy more, and this time I think I will try dying them a pretty color.

In2wishin
December 27th, 2011, 11:05 AM

Fabric is the finished product, fiber is what it is made of

Cotton, wool, linen, silk, polyester, acetate, are all fibers (the thread or yarn so to speak)

Satin, denim, canvas, broadcloth, muslin, velvet, sateen, corduroy, chiffon, georgette, etc are all fabrics.

WaitingSoLong
December 27th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Perhaps "material" would have been a better word? Satin isn't a material, like silk, cotton, or wool. It's a way of weaving a material to make it smooth. So you can get satin made from polyester, or made from silk.

(Hoping that made more sense? :))

Fabric is the finished product, fiber is what it is made of

Cotton, wool, linen, silk, polyester, acetate, are all fibers (the thread or yarn so to speak)

Satin, denim, canvas, broadcloth, muslin, velvet, sateen, corduroy, chiffon, georgette, etc are all fabrics.

Thanks! Guess I never differentiated.

gogirlanime
December 27th, 2011, 11:56 AM
So I've read the threads here with interest and finally got the silk after being a long-time satin user. Both cut friction which is great for edges and length and tangle prevention.

I don't wake up with sweaty damp face or back of my head. The silk does seem to absorb moisture and breathe better than satin.

So I say there is a margin of difference by which silk is better.

And you don't have to buy one -- just recycle a silk shirt or gown.

Next I'm sewing a silk sleep cap & mask.

That's my report from the hair trenches.

What is your experience with these fabrics?

Thats what I did I bought an XXL 100% silk shirt from Goodwill for only $5, works like a charm :)

Amber_Maiden
December 27th, 2011, 01:31 PM
I prefer satin- doesn't wear out as fast!

coffinhert
December 27th, 2011, 01:35 PM
I recycled a silk item of clothing into a pillowcase and i love it, my hair breaks less now that I started using it. I wouldn't use synthetic polyester personally.

ladyfey
December 27th, 2011, 01:50 PM
I had a sleep cap that broke my hair off really, really badly around the hairline. I switched to the pillowcase, much better!

Celebrian
December 27th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Just ordered two pure Charmeuse Mulberry Silk pillow cases, thanks to this thread! Hope they are good...

Celebrian
December 31st, 2011, 02:42 PM
My silk pillow cases arrived yesterday and I washed them and have them on my pillows ready for tonight. I feel quite childishly excited to see if I wake up with less crumpled skin and tangled hair :D

BrightEyes
December 31st, 2011, 02:53 PM
I tried a satin pillowcase for awhile and hated it. It was so slick and cold and I couldn't get a good night's sleep because I was so sweaty and the darn thing kept falling off the bed.

I switched to a silk pillowcase and I love it. It is so much more soft and breathable and my pillow stays in place! I can sleep through the night again and my hair has fewer tangles in the morning. Win win!:D

Annie44
December 31st, 2011, 03:42 PM
If you are looking for where to buy a satin pillowcase and don't want to do it online, Bed Bath and Beyond sells one for $20. (if you use their 20% off coupon, it's $16). I got one for Christmas and I really like it.

sharicat
December 31st, 2011, 03:52 PM
I love my silk pillowcase! Less slidey and sweaty than satin, and my hair and face is much smoother in the morning than when I sleep on cotton :)

serin blackwood
December 31st, 2011, 04:04 PM
I got polyester satin pillowcases at Walmart @ 2 for $9.99 cdn. Probably cheaper in the US.
Oh, and I love them! But I might try the recycled silk shirt idea, as well.

BBdck1
February 15th, 2012, 04:55 PM
I got a pair of polyester satin standard pillowcases at Bed Bath and Beyond for $30. I thought it was really expensive but then I guess it's better than 1 silk pillowcase for ~$20. It's super soft! I couple days later I went to Ross and found a polyester satin sheet set with 4 pillowcases for super cheap! $13.99 for full and $16.99 for queen. I've been to a few Ross and all of them seem to have polyester satin sheet sets. They are not as soft as the Bed Bath and Beyond ones but are very similar. They become even softer after you wash them! I love how polyester satin don't wrinkle if you take them out of the dryer right away.

If you're looking for cheap polyester satin pillowcases, try Ross/TJ Maxx first (I usually call them before I go to see if they have them in stock). I ended up using my BB&B pillowcases with my Ross set. The only downside is that it's very slippery and the dry skin on my feet scrape against the sheets. I hope it doesn't damage the material. Anyone else use satin sheet sets?

aly.
March 11th, 2014, 06:26 PM
I bought mine from savvy sleepers! they are made of high quality polyester satin and are also machine washable! I sleep much better on them and my hair doesn't get tangled up so bad anymore. however don't forget braiding your hair at night because it will also help you!