PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody thought they looked great with short hair until they saw pictures of it?

Callque
December 24th, 2011, 03:21 PM
This happened to me. I always thought that I looked great with my layered, SL hair, but now that I look back at pictures, it did absolutely nothing for my features. The hair color I was dying it washed out my complexion and the burnt-to-a-crisp straight hair I used to have just looked lifeless on me (not saying straight hair doesn't look great on other people). Plus, my ends looked horrible. They were very obviously dry and split. How did I not notice all of these things before?!

Has anyone else gone through a "What was I thinking?" moment concerning their past appearance? What was it that had you thinking, "What was I thinking?"

jacqueline101
December 24th, 2011, 03:31 PM
I had perm damage. It was bad frizzy and the ends would split and break off. The hair that grew was unhealthy and lifeless. I had nasty hair and now its better. Its shiny and healthy.

dulce
December 24th, 2011, 03:55 PM
My hair 3 years ago as a coloured pixie was dry,lifeless,frizzy and the colour kept turning brassy.Now it is waist,gray streaked and much healthier with no dyes.

Shesta
December 24th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Yes I did! :D Ages ago I had a pixie for a while and I loved it, it was making me feel really cool Then I let it grow and now when I see some photos from back then I realize how unsuitable it's been for me to have such haircut. I have a small head, kind of flat on the back so I generally look like a pinhead with a pixie. :D Feel much better knowing that my long voluminous hair now balances these features of mine.

beautifulending
December 24th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Oh yeah!! haha :)

Callque
December 24th, 2011, 04:22 PM
I had perm damage. It was bad frizzy and the ends would split and break off. The hair that grew was unhealthy and lifeless. I had nasty hair and now its better. Its shiny and healthy.

I'm very thankful I found TLHC when I did because I was planning on getting a straight perm! Thank goodness I didn't. I'm glad that you have super shiny and healthy hair now. :D

Callque
December 24th, 2011, 04:25 PM
My hair 3 years ago as a coloured pixie was dry,lifeless,frizzy and the colour kept turning brassy.Now it is waist,gray streaked and much healthier with no dyes.

OooooOoooo I love long gray hair!!!! I love how it's not so typical.

NymphSpirit
December 24th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Uhm, no, I mean, it's not like I look at old pictures and cringe :P , but I think I look much, much, better with longer, natural hair, and I just don't understand how I couldn't appreciate/like it before :)

Callque
December 24th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Yes I did! :D Ages ago I had a pixie for a while and I loved it, it was making me feel really cool Then I let it grow and now when I see some photos from back then I realize how unsuitable it's been for me to have such haircut. I have a small head, kind of flat on the back so I generally look like a pinhead with a pixie. :D Feel much better knowing that my long voluminous hair now balances these features of mine.

You sound like me! I like looking at pictures and seeing that my features are being balanced out now. I never realized how much more feminine my face looks with long hair until I looked at old pictures.

Callque
December 24th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Uhm, no, I mean, it's not like I look at old pictures and cringe :P , but I think I look much, much, better with longer, natural hair, and I just don't understand how I couldn't appreciate/like it before :)

Same here. I wish I would have given my natural hair a chance before I started dying/straightening it all of the time.

Miss Catrina
December 24th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Not my hair, but the monstrosity I plucked my eyebrows to be when I was 15...

Mirsha
December 24th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Nope. I'm too good looking to look bad in any hairdo :p

But I never had it any shorter than chin, so in my mind it was always long anyway.

LaLaBella
December 24th, 2011, 06:19 PM
Not my hair, but the monstrosity I plucked my eyebrows to be when I was 15...

Totally this! I've been trying to thicken my brows out some. Seriously, I looked good with short hair. It's just not who I am anymore.

Kelikea
December 24th, 2011, 07:04 PM
I had hair like little orphan Annie. If my mom didn't give me a trim...more like a fro or mop. I never knew my hair looked so silly until I looked through a family photo album a few years back!

longhairedlady
December 24th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Well yes and no. I thought it would look good short but once I cut it I knew it looked like crap.

Hollyfire3
December 24th, 2011, 07:17 PM
I had hair like little orphan Annie. If my mom didn't give me a trim...more like a fro or mop. I never knew my hair looked so silly until I looked through a family photo album a few years back!

That is me! I used to keep my hair short SL and curly! I blow dryed it sometimes and it looked like a serious fluffball so much for that salon straightening balm...didnt think i look ALL that bad..then i saw the pictures...oh crap..i wanted to burn them all!

aisha.christine
December 24th, 2011, 09:31 PM
I actually liked it when it was fairly short, like above my cheekbones, but every "short" length after that and anything shorter than didn't really flatter me. I was going through some pretty unpleasant times though, so my primary concern was not focused on looking fab. I'm hoping that with long hair I will look better, but this shoulder length is killing me!

It's just so poofy. :(

Nera
December 25th, 2011, 06:01 AM
I had the opposite going on! I thought short hair didn't suit me at all, but when I saw a picture of my curly bob, it made me want to cut my hair!

moon2dove
December 25th, 2011, 10:15 AM
Oh, yes a few years ago I was 'talked' into letting a friend cut my hair short, I mean above my ears - (I had never had my hair this short in my life) when another friend saw it (she's a stylist) she noticed it was a bad cut and wanted to even it up - which, of course made it even shorter, about a inch all over. I actually quite liked it and thought it looked ok. When I got my new passport photo's done, I was in shock and so embarrassed at how awful it looked.
It's now 10yrs later and thank goodness I can get rid of that bl**dy photo!

spidermom
December 25th, 2011, 10:27 AM
No, but I've had that experience with long hair. Sometimes in pictures it's so all over the place and messy that I'm embarrassed.

I suit short hair very well, but been there, done that.

Liesbeth
December 28th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Yeah, I used to keep my hair in a bob. I thought it looked okay when I looked in the mirror--but when I look at old pictures, I really cringe. :roll: I don't have the right facial features to pull off short hair, and it emphasized my height too much (I'm pretty tall) and made me look like a soccer mom. :D

I've always really wanted long hair but never had the patience to grow it out, but this website is really helping me. :)

pes3108
December 28th, 2011, 01:28 PM
I used to keep my hair short (about shoulder length) in high school and now I look back on pictures and it made me look so young!!! I have pretty full cheeks and the short hair did nothing but make them look fuller and rounder.
In my beginning years at college I grew it out to about BSL but would blowdry and flatiron it after every wash (which fortunately, wasn't but 2x a week). I look back on pictures now and it looks so thin and the ends were sooo ratty from the constant heat. I am so grateful I found the LHC :D

heidi w.
December 28th, 2011, 01:28 PM
I have a photo of me wearing short and colored hair in my hair album. It actually looks pretty good. But I have seen other photos of me with short hair, and they've been awful. My problem is that I don't like monkeying around with hair, such as styling it. That's who I am. That's who I've always been, so long hair suits me. Not so much fuss.

But yeah, I've had some fairly awful hair moments of me in a variety of lengths. Live and learn, I guess.

heidi w.

XcaliburGirl
December 28th, 2011, 01:30 PM
For my pixie, yes. Also for shoulder to APL it looks too triangular and makes me look masculine somehow. I like my hair in pictures around chin length or longer than APL. I'm planning on getting lots of layers around SL to APL this time, hopefully that will fix the problem.

I have also looked at pictures of my hair in a tight updo and it looked worse than I thought. Again, hoping bangs and face-framing layers will fix that.

ClassicalBlonde
December 28th, 2011, 03:02 PM
I once had a cut where my hair was around chin length with LOTS of layers, but none of them ever behaved themselves and it looked absolutely terrible! I really don't know what I was thinking at the time and why the hairdresser let me do such a thing to my hair! It made it even worse as this was when I was till at school and I remember other people in my grade looking through the school photo albums and saying "Oh my god, look at her hair!"

Amber_Maiden
January 1st, 2012, 12:46 PM
Yep, when I was a teenager. It just doesn't work with my face.

wickwiit
January 1st, 2012, 12:56 PM
A couple of decades ago I wore my hair in a *gulp* jheri curl.:( *shudder* Does anyone remember those? Fried and over processed hair dripping in glycerine? Yeah I thought I was cute, then one morning after falling asleep while on call in the Operating Room, I woke up, removed my paper hair cover...and it was filled with my crunchy damaged hair!!

It still took my years to clue in; I wear my hair in Sisterlocks now and I just realized I'm 1/2" away from my goal!! :D Hmmm maybe I'll try for classic!

Vanille_
January 1st, 2012, 01:15 PM
Yeah I thought my hair was looking great, so I took some pics for LHC. Then I saw the close up pictures and realized my hair looked more damage than I thought it did.

DiablitaNoir
January 1st, 2012, 03:32 PM
Oh my, yes! I look back on pictures from when I was a teenager/early 20's with either a pixie cut or a bob. Back then, I thought I was so cute...WRONG! I mean, pixies and bobs look great on a lot of people, but I am not one of them, lol. :p

Mairéad
January 1st, 2012, 03:48 PM
I actually think I look better in person than 99% of my photos, anyway.