PDA

View Full Version : Nail scissors for trims

Renate
December 24th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Hey everyone.

I'v never had any problems with hairstylists cutting too much hair (I say I want to grow it out and if they cut more than I'm asking, I won't pay) but i want to start trimming my own hair.

I went shopping for hair scissors but they are so expensive! I read online they were like 10 USD, but where I live they are around 20-30 USD!

So I'm thinking about using another scissors. Somewhere i read that nail scissors will do, but I don't know. Does anyone know if they are good and won't damage the ends?

princesitamaria
December 24th, 2011, 09:39 AM
you can get hair scissors less than that, you can buy them at the grocery store, sally's, depending on when you live you can get them at the local beauty store or the grocery store

blondie9912
December 24th, 2011, 09:54 AM
I've tried using nail scissors and wouldn't recommend it. Mine are amazing quality, but they just feel...odd when cutting hair. Maybe it's the curved blade? Who knows... My hair scissors were 60 CAD but well worth it, considering that's less than what my stylist charges for a cut. It seems pricey at first, I totally know, but you'll be glad in the end that you decided to splurge :) Good quality hair scissors last ages!

Renate
December 24th, 2011, 10:56 AM
you can get hair scissors less than that, you can buy them at the grocery store, sally's, depending on when you live you can get them at the local beauty store or the grocery store

I'll try at a beauty store, but I really doubt they will be less than that. I used USD because no one would understand if I said 40-60 BRL :D For a scissors, that VERY expensive. Where I live you would never find hair scissors on a grocery store.

I think I'll just wait the holidays pass and buy them online...

I've tried using nail scissors and wouldn't recommend it. Mine are amazing quality, but they just feel...odd when cutting hair. Maybe it's the curved blade? Who knows... My hair scissors were 60 CAD but well worth it, considering that's less than what my stylist charges for a cut. It seems pricey at first, I totally know, but you'll be glad in the end that you decided to splurge Good quality hair scissors last ages!

60 CAD??? For a haircut?? That's absurd! The most expensive haircut I ever had was around 15 USD! And when I just get a trim it's much less than that!

Maybe i should stick with the hairstylist .. :confused:

jacqueline101
December 24th, 2011, 01:26 PM
I bought mine for five dollars at Family Dollar.

Miss Catrina
December 24th, 2011, 01:29 PM
I wouldn't. I was using them on my nails and they bent my nail before they cut it, if they cut it at all.

blondie9912
December 24th, 2011, 03:00 PM
I'll try at a beauty store, but I really doubt they will be less than that. I used USD because no one would understand if I said 40-60 BRL :D For a scissors, that VERY expensive. Where I live you would never find hair scissors on a grocery store.

I think I'll just wait the holidays pass and buy them online...

60 CAD??? For a haircut?? That's absurd! The most expensive haircut I ever had was around 15 USD! And when I just get a trim it's much less than that!

Maybe i should stick with the hairstylist .. :confused:

The cheapest haircut I ever had was around $20 at SuperCuts and it was absolutely AWFUL. My layers were basically inverted :confused: They were longer in front, gradually got 3 inches shorter towards the back, and then there were no layers at all in the back. I now go to a very pricey salon, but I can guarantee that my stylist will always cut my hair perfectly, and I feel pampered while I'm there. At cheap chains, they don't even wash your hair, they just mist it with a spray bottle full of water.

I suppose different people find value in different things, but I would appreciate if you didn't call what I do with my money 'absurd' ;)

As a side note, I know people who spend about $300 on a cut/highlights every 2 months, while others have virgin hair and trim it themselves. Like I said, everyone's different and is entitled to do whatever they please.

Zesty
December 24th, 2011, 03:32 PM
I got mine for less than $20 on Amazon, and they've been so worth it. Even if you don't spend that much money on each hair cut, if you buy your own high-quality hair scissors, you can cut your hair whenever you want, as often as you want, for an indefinite period of time, so in the end it works out to being cheaper. :)

These are mine, for reference, even though you might not be able to get them:
http://www.amazon.com/Tweezerman-Stainless-2000-Styling-Shears/dp/B000WI0640/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324765767&sr=8-1

jeanniet
December 24th, 2011, 04:27 PM
The better the quality of your scissors, the longer the edge will last and the better the cut will be. You can also have higher quality scissors sharpened. Cheaper scissors will cut well enough, but the edge won't last and it won't be worth getting them sharpened. I paid about $90 for my scissors, but with the minimal amount of dusting I do, their edge will last for a very long time and then I can have them sharpened. I'll never have to buy another pair of scissors. At the very cheapest, I'd have to pay $18 for a trim, so the cost of the scissors is saved pretty quickly.

jeanniet
December 24th, 2011, 04:34 PM
The cheapest haircut I ever had was around $20 at SuperCuts and it was absolutely AWFUL. My layers were basically inverted :confused: They were longer in front, gradually got 3 inches shorter towards the back, and then there were no layers at all in the back. I now go to a very pricey salon, but I can guarantee that my stylist will always cut my hair perfectly, and I feel pampered while I'm there. At cheap chains, they don't even wash your hair, they just mist it with a spray bottle full of water.

I suppose different people find value in different things, but I would appreciate if you didn't call what I do with my money 'absurd' ;)

As a side note, I know people who spend about $300 on a cut/highlights every 2 months, while others have virgin hair and trim it themselves. Like I said, everyone's different and is entitled to do whatever they please.
Agreed. Spending your money on what you want isn't absurd if you have a good reason for it. And FWIW, there really is a difference between a cheap cut and a more expensive one done by a stylist with a lot of experience--a huge difference if you have "difficult" hair. It's more than just a cut, too; a good stylist will spend time getting your hair to look just right, and will show you what to do and what products to use to recreate that look at home. It's well worth the money if that's what you want to spend it on.

I always go for quality over price because over the years I've learned that I really dislike cheap stuff that ends up getting thrown out. If I have to pay twice as much for something that will last ten times as long, then I consider that a bargain. So it's worth thinking about the durability of an item as well as its cost.

ladonna
December 24th, 2011, 04:39 PM
I found mine at the $1 store:o

Catlover
December 24th, 2011, 05:15 PM
I got mine on e-bay for $8.99 AUD - they seem ok - so if I go ok with the self trim/dusting/SD - in time I will purchase better ones if necessary.

PS. - I had booked a trim but then chickened out as years ago when I had should length hair this eejit of a hairdresser just kept chopping and it was all uneven and to top it off her comment was "oh well it will grow back" - this occurred about twenty years ago!

In the meantime I have had long hair and very short hair - now am growing it long as it will grow and do not think I can trust anyone with my hair!

blondie9912
December 24th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Agreed. Spending your money on what you want isn't absurd if you have a good reason for it. And FWIW, there really is a difference between a cheap cut and a more expensive one done by a stylist with a lot of experience--a huge difference if you have "difficult" hair. It's more than just a cut, too; a good stylist will spend time getting your hair to look just right, and will show you what to do and what products to use to recreate that look at home. It's well worth the money if that's what you want to spend it on.

I always go for quality over price because over the years I've learned that I really dislike cheap stuff that ends up getting thrown out. If I have to pay twice as much for something that will last ten times as long, then I consider that a bargain. So it's worth thinking about the durability of an item as well as its cost.

Exactly! My mother always taught me to look for quality in the items I buy. I really agree with your logic, sure, I can buy something for $30, but then I'll spend the entire time I own hating it and wishing I had purchased the better looking, better quality, longer-lasting $80 alternative :)

Renate
December 24th, 2011, 06:48 PM

I didn't say it was absurd that you would pay that much for a haircut - I meant that it was absurd someone to charge that much for a haircut. Where I live, a reasonable price - not too expensive, not cheap - for a haircut is about 25 BRL, converting to USD, it's 15 USD.

blondie9912
December 24th, 2011, 07:15 PM
I didn't say it was absurd that you would pay that much for a haircut - I meant that it was absurd someone to charge that much for a haircut. Where I live, a reasonable price - not too expensive, not cheap - for a haircut is about 25 BRL, converting to USD, it's 15 USD.

Actually, it's quite normal to charge that much for a haircut. Depending on your qualifications, of course. My stylist went to a very prestigious school, has been working for many years, and is the head stylist at a very trendy salon in the heart of the city. All things considered, $60 is quite a bargain ;)

Interesting that haircuts are so inexpensive where you live! The cheapest haircuts I know of are at large chains and cost around $15-$20, but I wouldn't dare go there unless I wanted my hair destroyed. Granted, I'm sure there are some talented stylists at those locations, but I'd rather not have my hair go through any more trial and error. I'd say the average cost for a *good* haircut around here is probably $30 or so.

Renate
December 24th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Actually, it's quite normal to charge that much for a haircut. Depending on your qualifications, of course. My stylist went to a very prestigious school, has been working for many years, and is the head stylist at a very trendy salon in the heart of the city. All things considered, $60 is quite a bargain ;)

Interesting that haircuts are so inexpensive where you live! The cheapest haircuts I know of are at large chains and cost around $15-$20, but I wouldn't dare go there unless I wanted my hair destroyed. Granted, I'm sure there are some talented stylists at those locations, but I'd rather not have my hair go through any more trial and error. I'd say the average cost for a *good* haircut around here is probably $30 or so.

Depending on what you want, like a complicated haircut, it's worth to pay such price for quality. But in my case is usually just a trim..

I wish the hair scissors were also inexpensive! :D I guess I'll buy hair scissors and learn to trim my hair when I go study abroad. Or maybe I'll just save some money :p

Thanks everyone for replying!

blondie9912
December 24th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Depending on what you want, like a complicated haircut, it's worth to pay such price for quality. But in my case is usually just a trim..

I wish the hair scissors were also inexpensive! :D I guess I'll buy hair scissors and learn to trim my hair when I go study abroad. Or maybe I'll just save some money :p

Thanks everyone for replying!

I'm sure you could find a pair for around $10! I saw a pair of Goody scissors for around $9 at my local WalMart, I'm sure they're just fine :) I would recommend getting your hair cut at the salon about once a year (or whatever suits you) and S&Ding with your own scissors, and maybe giving yourself small trims whenever you see fit. Good luck!

Kaelee
December 24th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Please don't use nail scissors! They're a different type of blade for cutting something much thicker and harder than hair. I think they'd damage your ends pretty badly, even though they WILL cut hair.

Renate
December 24th, 2011, 08:06 PM
At walmart.com.br I found these one: link (http://www.walmart.com.br/produto/Beleza-e-Saude/Manicuro-e-Pedicuro/Mundial/50-Tesoura-Barbeiro-com-lamina-de-aco-inox-12cm-663-5N-Mundial). It's about 8.5 USD. I know this brand is good quality. Problem solved! ;)

Delila
December 25th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Glad you found something workable. :)

As for me, I've found that shears specific to hair cutting do a MUCH better job.

It took me a few years to work up the nerve to buy some real hair cutting shears from the beauty supply place, but they're better than the cheapo thing I bought at first. (The blades on the good ones have some kind of ridges on them so the hairs don't slide along the blade before getting cut. Helps make a straight line so much easier.)

jamespattinson
January 27th, 2018, 03:34 AM

I got mine from nail salon near me at $7

jamespattinson
January 27th, 2018, 03:35 AM

I got mine from nail salon (http://spabruxelles.be/our-nails-salon/) near me at $7

FrayedFire
January 27th, 2018, 08:00 PM
I've gotten my hair coloured, cut, and styled for $65, but I would rather make a one-time purchase of scissors and do it myself since I'm not trying to do anything fancy. I'd be a little skeptical of anything costing less than $10, and I think nail scissors probably won't be sharp enough, but I also only file my nails with a glass file, so I don't have much experience.