PDA

View Full Version : Ten months in Guatemala... help!

ingabella
December 24th, 2011, 12:44 AM
Hello beautifuls,

I've been lurking and learning here for quite some time, and finally have a question I'm hoping you all can help me with.

I'm leaving for ten months in Guatemala (volunteer teacher) and I'll be living in a tiny little village that has no roads, no stores, intermittent electricity, hard well water, etc., and I'm wondering how in the world I'm going to keep my fine, henna'd-over-gray, waist -length hair in decent shape.

I'm bringing lots of henna, and hopefully will be able to do my hair there somehow.

But, hard water makes my hair like a rat's nest as it's already fine - textured and pretty long.

I'm thinking to bring one big container of shampoo especially for hard water... but what else would be good down there? I'd have to schlep it, so space is an issue...

Maybe I could just get away with oiling it instead of conditioner? Or trying not to wash it at all for 10 months?

Or... any kind of conditioner I should bring? Or is there something I could make down there from food items that might be available at a farmer's market?

I'm afraid I'm going to mess my hair up so much I'll have to chop it off... :(

Any suggestions would be much, much appreciated!!! THanks to all you lovelies ♥

AnqeIicDemise
December 24th, 2011, 01:12 AM
My grandmother used avocado oil on her hair, suave shampoo/condish and liked to collect rain water for washing. I don't remember what exactly was used in my hair but we were living in the city.

If you don't mind pming me where exactly you're going, I can ask my father what herbs are good. I can even ask my sister what she uses to counteract the hard water from her shower (She's currently living in Carretera Salvador, which is just outside of the capital heading into Salvador.) I'd rather ask my dad, though, as he lived in Coban in the mid 70s- to late 80s and spent a lot of time with the natives there. And its his advise I often follow through when it comes to natural hair care regimen. Whereas my mother thinks I'm crazy and that my scalp's going to rot off, he completely understands.

ETA: and I mention the decades he lived there because the hacienda he owned had no potable water or accessible road to town so I'm sure he has some ideas on what to do. From what I understand the house didn't even have a generator until he owned the land and installed one in. Mom likes to tell me that he picked her up from the city and dumped her, quite literally, in a mountain basin. "Everywhere you looked, there was mountain."

Dragon Faery
December 24th, 2011, 01:19 AM
Hi, and welcome! :)

I'm no expert on fine straight hair, as mine is curly and a bit coarse. But I did spend a few weeks in Guatemala several years ago. My hair LOVED the humidity there. I never had happier hair, and I think I didn't wash it at all while I was there. I just kept it in braids every day. (Figures my skin hated the humidity; it was the worst acne I'd ever had and it didn't clear up for two months...)

I didn't have problems with the water, but I've heard some people on here do vinegar rinses for that. If you can't get vinegar down there, surely some citrus fruit would be acidic enough to do a similar job? Lemons, for sure...probably even a few drops mixed into a final rinse could help ... And maybe even grapefruit, in a pinch?

Fruit of all kinds should be in abundant supply. :)

I was there on a work trip, in the mountain regions, and one day I got a bunch of the red clay soil in my hair. Turned out it was a great moisturizing treatment.

I'd recommend whatever oil makes your hair the slippiest ... Although you may find the well water there to be different than the well water where you are. Different minerals, better or worse, etc. And I would recommend stretching washes if your hair will let you. If you're in a remoter area, which still holds on to more traditional ways, the women in the village may be interested in showing you how to wear your hair as they wear theirs. (I was in the Ixil region, where they tie it up in these big long scarves whose name I have forgotten. Not sure how much the cultures vary throughout the country.) If so, this will at the very least enable you to hide any terrible hair days. You could probably also wear scarves if your hair gets so icky you just can't deal with it. Although hopefully you don't have it that bad. ;)

Here's another thought: mayb you'll get to learn what the local women do for their hair! It is a very different texture than yours, but they traditionally have VERY long hair so maybe you'll get some unexpected tips! :)

Good luck, and happy traveling!

AnqeIicDemise
December 24th, 2011, 01:24 AM
Here's another thought: mayb you'll get to learn what the local women do for their hair! It is a very different texture than yours, but they traditionally have VERY long hair so maybe you'll get some unexpected tips! :)

Good luck, and happy traveling!

Native women are fond of long hair. As a kid, they always complimented my thick braids. ^-^ You got a huge point there, Faery. The locals like to help so ultimately, all you have to do is simply ask.

I wouldn't be surprised if they're curious enough to ask you questions on your own regimen anyway.

jacqueline101
December 24th, 2011, 04:04 PM
I'd ask the locals and welcome. If all else fails maybe dry shampoo from your hometown market.

justgreen
December 24th, 2011, 04:12 PM
I have extremely hard well water. I do a final rinse with about 12 ounces of distilled water, so that it sluices off the well water before the minerals have a chance to attach while my hair is air drying. I have my roots bleached every six weeks. Using diluted shampoo helps also. Less rinsing time that way.

NymphSpirit
December 24th, 2011, 04:22 PM
Can't you travel to cities in Guatemala to do your shopping...? I'm pretty sure you'll find everything there... Even it's once a month.

I truly believe your hair wont suffer much, it'll probably take a while for it to get used to the different water, but nothing more than that. And if you feel that insecure, then simply don't go.

long&blonde
December 24th, 2011, 05:09 PM
I agree w/those who said to ask the locals w/long hair. What an adventure! I'd take a few large scarves in shades matching clothes taking, some spin pins; then practice benign neglect w/scarves if hair is bugging you. I have silver roots coming in too;Know how you feel.

ingabella
December 24th, 2011, 08:51 PM
Hi AngelicDemise,

Thanks for that feedback! Wow, your family obviously has an interesting heritage, and I'd be thrilled to know what your father would advise in the way of herbs. I'm going to Santa Cruz de la Laguna, on Lago Atitlan. Are you folks indegenas? I'm northern European, and don't know if our hair is similar texture, but would still be very interested to learn anything your father would like to share - thank you so much for that offer! I love the idea of your grandmother collecting rain water for washing her tresses, it sounds so romantic. Apparently it only rains where I'm going between May and November, but when it does, it dumps!

Hi Dragon Faery,

That's great advice, you're right - I'm bound to have access to citrus and I bet that will go far. And, red soil, huh?! Interesting!!! I'll definitely take a mud bath then, if I see some. It's a volcanic lake, so I can imagine some mineral rich clays lining the basin... or, wait a minute... are we trying to avoid minerals? Thats a bit confusing!

Yes, I think oiled, braided hair is prolly the best to get me through!

Hi jacqueline101,

Thanks! How is dry shampooing done?

Hi justgreen,

Thank you - that's helpful! I can't believe your hair has survived to get so long and beautiful with bleaching - you must have an amazing head of hair! Does the bleach help to get rid of the excess minerals?

Hi NymphSpirit,

Oh goodness, I hope I don't come across as THAT insecure! If it costs me my hair, I'm still going to do this work... but I'd rather keep it since it's taken me a dang good while to get it to this point. But, thanks for the reassurance.

Hi long&blonde,

Thanks for the tips, girl - I have been experimenting with scarves and head wraps. And thanks for understanding how I feel! Some how, that in itself is comforting, and I appreciate it ; )

ingabella
December 24th, 2011, 09:04 PM
...and yes, I'll be working mainly with Mayan women and children, so if they speak Spanish I'll definitely ask them what to do with my quaff (unfortunately I don't speak a lick of Mayan)! They'll prolly have thick beautiful hair and not have my same hair challenges, but I'll bet they can teach me plenty just the same, and it will be a great way to start communication.

Mommyof4
December 24th, 2011, 09:16 PM
I would DEFINITELY ask the locals.. and pack some ACV :)

coffinhert
December 24th, 2011, 11:45 PM
Benign neglect will surely be the way to go. Even in a village, you can visit the city or nearby town which sells shampoo and conditioner. When I went to a village in very rural India I was glad I didn't bring any toiletries, they were all for sale in tiny "shack" stores for very cheap. I second that you should buy stuff once you get there. If you don't like the product for some reason, oil the length and braid it. It will be protective and good for it.

coneyisland
December 26th, 2011, 05:00 AM
Rainy Season conditions are very humid, often very near 100% humidity (think sauna conditions, but not as warm). As soon as you are not in appliance-altered conditions ( i.e., by dehumidifier, air conditioner, heater, or fan) your skin will have flow (what before has been unnoticed vapors) that will often be incapable of evaporation because of the humidity.
Dry Season is dry.
Except in Dry Season and the early and late phases of Rainy Season, your hair will likely stay damp unless dried and kept dry by some appliance use.
Take some lightweight smooth woven cotton (not terrycloth) or linen towels so they can dry between uses and after they are washed.
If you use hairpins or hairsticks, take plenty of plastic ones, capable of supporting your hair's damp weight, to get you through your stay.
Buy only liquid detergents. In rainy season, you can fairly expect boxed dry detergent to become liquid detergent soon after it leaves the grocery store. Mark the ends of your food cans as soon as you buy them. In rainy season, you can fairly expect the paper labels to fall off the cans soon after they leave the grocery store.
The climate can quickly ruin leather, rubber, and batteries. Take extra shoes because even new shoe soles may crumble within the time of your stay there. Take off your shoes when you go into homes, but never leave your shoes outdoors. If you wear a watch, wear a water-resistant stainless steel one with a stainless steel wristband. If you will be using a bicycle, take extra tires and store them indoors, and keep your bicycle indoors too when not in use.
While you have internet access, learn what "filled milk" is. It may be sold in dairy products cases, in typical plastic milk jugs and paper milk cartons, with no indication that it is filled milk. Best to buy dry milk mix (packed in occlusive pouches, not packaged only in paper) of some familiar brand such as Carnation or Nestle.
Best to wear lightweight woven cotton or linen clothes (capable of drying). If you would wear a hat too, take one of straw or of woven cotton, but not a tight canvas weave which might never dry except in Dry Season. A woven nylon rain cape would be great to have. If you will need a jacket or sweater, the spun polyester fleece type (capable of drying readily) would be best, and you can save baggage capacity by wearing it on the plane. If you will need a blanket, keep folding it along its longest direction until it is narrow, and you can wear it resting on (hanging from) either shoulder (or both) on the plane, if you need to save baggage capacity for other things.
Bathtubs are uncommon luxuries in that region. The usual bathing practice there is showering from an unheated water source. If you would like to have baths there, then before your departure get yourself a small galvanized steel bathtub or a large corrosion-resistant metal bowl to take with you. If it has a rolled or crimped rim, set the tub vessel upright to try to drain its rim after you have emptied it following use.
Do not take any conspicuous fine jewelry, nor any other jewelry unless you would be wearing it on your person at all times. Get a nylon and vinyl pouch with nylon neck cord for your important documents (IDs, passport, cash) to wear under your clothes to keep them secured on your person.
Take plenty of mosquito repellent, enough to last through your stay. You might also wish to take along a supply of mosquito netting, which is sold off-the-bolt by some businesses and might be shipped to you before your departure.
If you like North American ketchup, take some of that with you.

ingabella
December 28th, 2011, 03:44 PM
WOW - THank you for that extensive, thorough post! THere's a wealth of great info here, and I'm much obliged!

beachgirlla
December 28th, 2011, 03:57 PM
May be you will come back with wealth of info on how these women there keep their hair long and beautiful, you never know, they may teach you some secrets, bring then over here please, lol, so we can benefits too :D
Each culture has its own way in doing their things, most of them have great hair except us, western culture :(, I'm pretty sure that the no electricity, hard water and such will do you good in a way or another, so do not worry, its just 10 months, you can keep your hair in braids, oiled and protected, wash it with some rain water, add some citrus to clarify and then go out and learn what these people do for their hair so may be you can get us something nice, lol, after all, your visit is to discover that area, to immerse yourself in the culture, try their food and such, do not worry, get out of your shell and have fun :)

mortiziia
December 28th, 2011, 04:11 PM
I'm going to Santa Cruz de la Laguna, on Lago Atitlan.

I can't offer any advice, but I've been working remotely with a non-profit that works near Nahualá (that's some 25 km north of Santa Cruz) and all the native k'iché women have GORGEOUS long hair. I also work with Guatemalans in the States and they're the friendliest, warmest people, they'll be thrilled to share their tips and routines with you. When are you going?

ingabella
December 29th, 2011, 12:30 AM
thanks ladies =)

mortiziia, I'm going January 6th!

Amazinggrace
December 29th, 2011, 12:37 AM
I would plan to braid, and oil (coconut oil) your hair, and wash only when needed. I am sure you will find shampoo there. I would not let anything that can spill take up space in my luggage.

I am sure the local women will be able to help. What a wonderful adventure! I hope you have an amazing time, filled with learning and teaching. :)

mortiziia
December 29th, 2011, 07:37 AM
How exciting, it's almost there! Buen viaje, and enjoy the wonderful experience!