PDA

View Full Version : Some LUSH solid shampoos now SLS-free

Neoma
March 14th, 2008, 05:45 PM
I am no longer enamored with LUSH solid shampoos, but I know that some of our members like them. I thought you might like to know that several of their solid shampoos (http://usa.lush.com/cgi-bin/lushdb/Hairpromo/index.html)are now SLS-free.

prosperina
March 14th, 2008, 06:50 PM
You're right. I hadn't noticed that. Sodium coco sulfate is a step up from regular SLS isn't it? It looks nice at least.

KiwiLiz
March 14th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Hmmm I wonder if the Aussie store has SLS free slid shampoos now too. I've been interested in trying solid conditioners and shampoos (but only when my ALL my bottles run out!), the SLS that seemed to be in all of them did put me off... not that I actively check for SLS free commercial liquid shampoos... but I guess I except a company that boasts being handmade and all natural and friendly to not use SLS. I definitely check it out. Thanks :)

Neon Gloss
March 14th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Ah, I just bought some of that earlier today. I'm going to try it when my liquid shampoo runs out. =]

pietri
March 15th, 2008, 03:21 AM
Hm, Seanik without the SLS? Perhaps I should try that again...

Patrycja
March 15th, 2008, 09:16 AM
I'm thinking about finally giving them a go.though,they are expensive in my opinion

andrea1982
March 15th, 2008, 06:56 PM
I'm using seanik right now, and I really like it. It seems less stripping than sls shampoos, if I do a heavy oiling I have to either shampoo twice or leave the lather on for a minute or two. This is my first time trying lush shampoo though, so I can't compare to the old formulations.

Cichelle
March 15th, 2008, 07:03 PM
I'm glad they are finally offering these. I want to try one, but it will have to wait until I run out of the shampoo bars I'm currently using. I have about five bars left. So it might be a while. Then again, if I read good reviews, I might get impatient and try one soon. :D

intothemist1999
March 15th, 2008, 09:17 PM
I am no longer enamored with LUSH solid shampoos...

I'm curious, why are you no longer enamored with them?

I haven't used them yet, but I've thought about it.

Neoma
March 16th, 2008, 12:56 PM
I'm curious, why are you no longer enamored with them?

I haven't used them yet, but I've thought about it.

Fair question, intothemist. I love the fragrance of Karma Komba, but I'm just not sure that I get the best results from the bar. To me, it was just another, albeit great smelling, SLS shampoo.

I'm using up the one I have in the shower as body soap.

Then again, I might love the non-SLS version of Karma Komba. I'll probably try it at some point.

akurah
March 16th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Sodium COCO sulfate IS sodium lauryl sulfate. THEY ARE THE SAME THING.

Anyone or anything who tries to tell you otherwise either is lying or doesn't know as much about what they're talking about as they think they do.

akurah
March 16th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Here is a copy of the email exchange I had with The Beauty Brains on this topic.

me:

I've often read that Sodium Coco Sulfate is a gentler alternative to Sodium
Lauryl Sulfate because it is derived from coconuts. I'm rather skeptical of
this claim, since Sodium Lauryl Sulfate is also derived from coconut.

I did some digging (a LOT of digging, there's almost no unbiased
information on sodium coco sulfate), and I found that the two also have the
same CAS number of 151-21-3. I'm no chemist, but I've always understood that
if the CAS number is the same, the chemical is the same.

Why are the cosmetic companies lying and trying to mislead us with sodium
coco sulfate? Is it because of the bad rap that SLS has? Or am I missing
something here about sodium coco sulfate?

The Beauty Brains:

Stephanie,

Great question. With a little help from the CTFA's Dictionary of International Nomenclature of Cosmetic Ingredients I found the answer.

The difference is really one of purification. Coconut oil is made up of a wide range of fatty acids. They can have as few as 8 carbon atoms and as many as 20. The majority of the fatty acids are of the 12 carbon variety. That means 45-50% of coconut oil is a fatty acid containing 12 carbons.

When manufacturers make their sulfate detergents they can take pure coconut oil and run the "sulfating" reaction to produce Sodium Coco-sulfate.

However, this material doesn't foam as well and will vary depending on the quality of the coconut crops harvested that year.

Sodium Lauryl sulfate is really just a purified version of the same material. In this case they take the coconut oil and remove most of the non-12 carbon fatty acids. Their starting material is then about 80% C-12 instead of 45-50% C-12.

Ultimately, both products are primarily C-12 or Sodium Lauryl Sulfate so they get the same CAS number. However, pure SLS is more efficient and of more reliable quality so most manufacturers use this.

Very astute question. You must have some background in chemistry.

Thanks for being part of the Beauty Brains community.

Left Brain

The difference between SLS and Sodium Coco sulfate is no greater than the difference between purified water and unpurified water (like hard water, etc.)

pietri
March 17th, 2008, 04:07 AM
Wow - thanks for that, akurah!

Looks like I'll still only be going to Lush for their moisturizers and face masks... and the Goth Juice gel just because it smells wonderful.

Things like finding they're sort of relabeling their SLS products without making them more usable for me (scalp and the rest of my skin can only tolerate SLS perhaps once or twice in a month) doesn't really make me want to buy more of their products.

I used to buy lots of things at Lush, but not anymore - even the most beautiful scents don't balance out my if my skin's all dry and flaky.

ilovelonghair
March 17th, 2008, 04:26 AM
Maybe a dumb question (I didn't come across any answers yet): what do SLS do to your hair? Why are they bad?

akurah
March 17th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Maybe a dumb question (I didn't come across any answers yet): what do SLS do to your hair? Why are they bad?

SLS cleans your hair. It doesn't do anything bad to it, especially in the quantities that they put in shampoo. Its easily the most researched anionic surficant in the world, and it WILL NOT hurt you unless you are highly sensitive to (all) chemicals or allergic (both are uncommon but not unheard of).

Your hair may not like it, mind, it may make it dry or frizzy, but it won't hurt you.

And this is coming from someone who has had the skin of her hands eaten away by sulfates (when dealing with them in incredibly high concentrations, not in the concentration found in shampoo), someone who's going back to school to study chemistry, and somebody who washes her hair using sulfate shampoos and loves them. Just to put perspective on my statements.

ilovelonghair
March 19th, 2008, 12:54 AM
Thanks for explaining :-)

carinkla
March 19th, 2008, 05:44 AM
good news.. now I might be interested in them soon we will have a dutch belgian raponsje meet in anwerp and guess what just opened there..poor dears will get a longhaired invasion I am affraid..;)
edit: ow I did not yet read that part about it beint the same as sles..

DrkAngel
March 29th, 2008, 12:42 PM
great! I recently stumbled upon this ingredient too and was wondering what it was.... thanks for posting that akurah!