PDA

View Full Version : Tangled waves

Hollyfire3
December 23rd, 2011, 10:21 PM
Ok so my hair is finnally better (back to its thick self this wash!!!!YAYAYAY!!!!!, so strange still...) But i now need to know, with my thickness comes tangles and the waves dont help. Does anyone know any way to prevent hair from tangleing 5 mins after combing and brushing out, (the original combing takes about 15-30 mins so i do not want to do this 5 times a day).

Talma
December 23rd, 2011, 10:30 PM
I have this same problem. My hair is 3c/4a so it's VERY curly (and that's an understatement!). So far, the thing that helps the most is detangling my hair in sections and once I detangle one section it immediately gets braided before I move on to detangling the next section so that it doesn't have the time to shrink up and re-tangle itself. I leave them in until my hair is fully dry. Usually I end up with 6-8 braids depending on my mood and method of sectioning the hair. Since you say your hair is wavy the braids should add body if anything to your texture and not mess it up. You can also try two-stranded twists (rope braids) if you want ringlets rather than waves.

If anyone else knows any better methods please share as you can never have too many hints in your detangling arsenal. HAPPY HOLIDAYS btw!!! :cheese:

Hollyfire3
December 23rd, 2011, 10:34 PM
I detangle in sections but i never thought of braiding the hair as i go until i am done, that is a great idea! Thanks! Also, i neeed some sort of long term detangling method, one where my hair stays without tangles for most of the day, my hair gets so tangly..i hate it. But it is too thick to wear up without major headaches...any suggestions for non headache styles to wear my hair up with? Happy holidays also!

Hollyfire3
December 23rd, 2011, 10:34 PM
I have this same problem. My hair is 3c/4a so it's VERY curly (and that's an understatement!). So far, the thing that helps the most is detangling my hair in sections and once I detangle one section it immediately gets braided before I move on to detangling the next section so that it doesn't have the time to shrink up and re-tangle itself. I leave them in until my hair is fully dry. Usually I end up with 6-8 braids depending on my mood and method of sectioning the hair. Since you say your hair is wavy the braids should add body if anything to your texture and not mess it up. You can also try two-stranded twists (rope braids) if you want ringlets rather than waves.

If anyone else knows any better methods please share as you can never have too many hints in your detangling arsenal. HAPPY HOLIDAYS btw!!! :cheese:

Thanks for the tips, i will surely try them!

Madora
December 24th, 2011, 07:08 AM
Hollyfire 3, here's a lace twist video you might like to try:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

It distributes the weight of your hair around your head and is very comfortable.

As far as your tangle situation is concerned, if you don't want to be constantly bothered by them, then the solution is to wear your hair up.

If you section it when creating hairstyles, you'll find it much more comfortable to wear.

If updos aren't an option for you, then braiding might help keep those strands tangle free.

Kelikea
December 24th, 2011, 07:23 AM
Does your hair tangle in a particular spot? Mine always tangles on the very underneath layer that rubs on my back. Madora actually suggested braiding that little bit, and leaving it, so that it couldn't tangle. Havent tried it yet, but its worth a shot:)

jacqueline101
December 24th, 2011, 07:36 AM
I've used a spray in detangler on my hair after I comb then smooth my hand over it. I don't have naturally curly hair mine is a perm.

Hollyfire3
December 24th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Does your hair tangle in a particular spot? Mine always tangles on the very underneath layer that rubs on my back. Madora actually suggested braiding that little bit, and leaving it, so that it couldn't tangle. Havent tried it yet, but its worth a shot:)

My hair tangles all over and the worst is the underneath layer. I am going to try dividing my updos. Honestly, i wish i would follow the tutorials better because i just get confused with them. I am gonna try the braid and see if it helps...thanks for the tips guys! any other suggestions from anyone?

Hollyfire3
December 24th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Hollyfire 3, here's a lace twist video you might like to try:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

It distributes the weight of your hair around your head and is very comfortable.

As far as your tangle situation is concerned, if you don't want to be constantly bothered by them, then the solution is to wear your hair up.

If you section it when creating hairstyles, you'll find it much more comfortable to wear.

If updos aren't an option for you, then braiding might help keep those strands tangle free.

Oh wow, thankd Madora, that hairstyle is beautiful! It might take a while to learn to do it without tangles though....I am gonna try to wear my hair up more often, but most buns call for a hair tie to start them, this results in a headache from the updo. Can you do buns without a pontail first?

ktani
December 24th, 2011, 08:56 AM
Try using the barest minimum - drops of mineral oil -as a leave-in detangler. It should lubricate your hair enough not to have it tangle repeatedly. The key is minimal use and it should not weigh the hair down or make it appear greasy. It stays on the surface of the hair. Use it on damp hair. It should wash out of the hair very easily used this way. It is working very well for friends of mine.

Hollyfire3
December 24th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Try using the barest minimum - drops of mineral oil -as a leave-in detangler. It should lubricate your hair enough not to have it tangle repeatedly. The key is minimal use and it should not weigh the hair down or make it appear greasy. It stays on the surface of the hair. Use it on damp hair. It should wash out of the hair very easily used this way. It is working very well for friends of mine.

Hi Ktani! Yes, my hair has finnaly gotten back to usual after this last wash, i am so confused but pleasently suprised! Does baby oil count as mineral oil? I know its not pure but will it work also? I really dont want to use cones because they loosen my waves but does the oil untangle like cones do but wihtout messing wiht the wave patteren? Thanks for the tip, if baby oil can be used, im off to try it!

ktani
December 24th, 2011, 09:09 AM
Hi Ktani! Yes, my hair has finnaly gotten back to usual after this last wash, i am so confused but pleasently suprised! Does baby oil count as mineral oil? I know its not pure but will it work also? I really dont want to use cones because they loosen my waves but does the oil untangle like cones do but wihtout messing wiht the wave patteren? Thanks for the tip, if baby oil can be used, im off to try it!

Yes, white baby oil is mineral oil that is pure and it does not loosen waves, just the opposite and it does lubricate, just like cones or silicone.

Hollyfire3
December 24th, 2011, 09:15 AM
Yes, white baby oil is mineral oil that is pure and it does not loosen waves, just the opposite and it does lubricate, just like cones or silicone.

Oh ok, so even though it smells like baby powder it is still mineral oil lol? I think mine had vitamin e in it, will this do anything?

ktani
December 24th, 2011, 09:33 AM
Oh ok, so even though it smells like baby powder it is still mineral oil lol? I think mine had vitamin e in it, will this do anything?

No, the fragrance and Vitamin E should not affect the performance of the oil. The label will say exactly what is in it. There are different brands with different fragrances. You can also buy unfragranced USP mineral oil at most drugstores.

Hollyfire3
December 24th, 2011, 09:36 AM
No, the fragrance and Vitamin E should not affect the performance of the oil. The label will say exactly what is in it. There are different brands with different fragrances. You can also buy unfragranced USP mineral oil at most drugstores.

Ok, that makes sense, i might have to go get some if this works. ALso, what is the best way to detangle hair? I am afriad i am doing it wrong...

ktani
December 24th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Ok, that makes sense, i might have to go get some if this works. ALso, what is the best way to detangle hair? I am afriad i am doing it wrong...

Madora has some great advice on this using a wide tooth comb and starting at the ends, working your way up, gently and carefully.

Don't forget, if you use mousse, it can be sticky and its coatings, the polymers, no doubt contribute to tangling.

My hair does not tangle thanks to catnip tea. I do not need to use anything else on top of that.

I separate my hair as if going to braid it and "pull my hair apart", gently.

Hollyfire3
December 24th, 2011, 09:56 AM
Madora has some great advice on this using a wide tooth comb and starting at the ends, working your way up, gently and carefully.

Don't forget, if you use mousse, it can be sticky and its coatings, the polymers, no doubt contribute to tangling.

My hair does not tangle thanks to catnip tea. I do not need to use anything else on top of that.

I separate my hair as if going to braid it and "pull my hair apart", gently.

Oh yeah, mousse doesnt help does it? I guess im just gonna have to be very careful when i detangle..i'll ask Madora...

ktani
December 24th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Oh yeah, mousse doesnt help does it? I guess im just gonna have to be very careful when i detangle..i'll ask Madora...

Use the mineral oil after the mousse. You can also experiment with using the mineral oil instead of the mousse. The key as I said is to use so little as to not get in the way of your hairstyle and it should just wash out with your regular shampoo. Using mineral oil does not mean you need to clarify. It is not a resinous oil and is very hair and skin friendly.