PDA

View Full Version : HELP - have hair straighteners damaged my hair?

princess-royal
December 23rd, 2011, 06:51 PM
About a week ago I went to a hair salon to get my hair trimmed. My hair was already quite fine, straight and soft (mainly due to bleaching) so I wasn't too happy when the stylist asked if she could straighten my hair - I've stayed away from the hot irons for a year and a half. I reluctantly agreed when she reassured me that it wouldn't damage my hair because she'd use heat protection spray. She sprayed a little bit on every strand and then ran these super-hot professional straighteners slowly through each little bit of my hair TWICE. I came away with really soft, poker-straight hair that felt awful. I've washed it twice since and it feels like cotton candy - super fine, silky, no volume or hold, just horrible. It feels like the straighteners have permamently altered the texture. I'm really upset and would like to know if this is the case. I'm a teenager who doesn't want to spend a lot of money on products that probably won't even work. I'm so angry that I let the stylist straighten my hair, because it just feels thin, silky and uncontrollable. Surely if it isn't back to normal after two washes then it's permanently damaged?

ladonna
December 23rd, 2011, 06:59 PM
I've heard people recommending lot's of coconut oil after and before straightening. I've straightened my fringe only 3-4 times in the past 4 month's and have damamge, it's where I get most of my split ends.

sarahbrownie
December 23rd, 2011, 07:10 PM
Have you clarified? The protectant sprays have tons of silcone in them and could be just build up from the products she used? It's probably not enough to completely alter your hair texture, but they're might be minor damage at the ends.

Anywhere
December 23rd, 2011, 07:10 PM
I think that usually the damage from one straightening session isn't that severe/intense. It usually takes time.
Depends on your hairtype as well, maybe your hair is more prone to damage than most.
My thoughts are that maybe it just needs moisture, or you need to shampoo off the product better?

Hollyfire3
December 23rd, 2011, 07:23 PM
Your (file://\\Your) hair probably needs moisture to be back to normal. I straightened my hair nearly every day and it took 2 yrs to get visible damage. My hair is thick though and you say yours is thinner. Just use a deep conditioner for a few days, it should return to normal. Trust me, all is not lost.

Miss Catrina
December 23rd, 2011, 07:29 PM
It doesn't seem at all likely that your hair is destroyed from what you've described as one completely normal "straightening incident". I'm sure if your hair is fine the stylist had the good sense to use a low heat setting.

It does sound like she used a ton of product. Definitely make sure all the residue is gone before figuring out what course of action to take.

spidermom
December 23rd, 2011, 08:28 PM
It sounds like a clarifying wash followed by a deep conditioning treatment would be in order.

Mina17
December 24th, 2011, 03:18 AM
What you describe is how my hair looks and feels with coney serums. I agree with clarifying then doing a deep conditioning treatment.

princess-royal
December 24th, 2011, 07:43 AM
Well, I used bicarbonate of soda mixed with water as a quick fix and my hair is still as soft/fine/silky as it was yesterday. Seriously worried :( I think I'll get Pantene Clarifying Shampoo and Herbal Essences Fresh Balance conditioner - they're supposed to be quite good.

I'm still confused as to whether it would be better to shampoo every 3-4 days or to not shampoo at all. Any advice?

princess-royal
December 24th, 2011, 07:44 AM
(I'm also a bit worried about the heat from the straighteners - I'm not sure if the stylist put it on a low enough heat setting. I did tell her that my hair was damaged but all she said was "It doesn't feel too damaged; it feels quite healthy.")

celebriangel
December 24th, 2011, 08:00 AM
I reluctantly agreed when she reassured me that it wouldn't damage my hair because she'd use heat protection spray.

And why did you believe her? Using a heat protection spray will prevent *some* of the damage, but if your hair was already damaged and she did it slooowly and twice on a very hot setting then I wouldn't be surprised if your hair was damaged.

Why did you give in? Your hairdresser is providing a service for which you are paying. There is no need to have things done that you don't want done.

However, from what you describe- clarify (ideally using clarifying shampoo diluted and mixed with about 1/4-1/2 tsp baking soda) then do a deep conditioning treatment.

As far as shampooing goes, for your hairtype it's best to shampoo infrequently, using SLS-free poo if possible, or diluting your shampoo lots if not.

princess-royal
December 24th, 2011, 08:47 AM
And why did you believe her? Using a heat protection spray will prevent *some* of the damage, but if your hair was already damaged and she did it slooowly and twice on a very hot setting then I wouldn't be surprised if your hair was damaged.

Why did you give in? Your hairdresser is providing a service for which you are paying. There is no need to have things done that you don't want done.

However, from what you describe- clarify (ideally using clarifying shampoo diluted and mixed with about 1/4-1/2 tsp baking soda) then do a deep conditioning treatment.

As far as shampooing goes, for your hairtype it's best to shampoo infrequently, using SLS-free poo if possible, or diluting your shampoo lots if not.

I'm not particularly assertive and I was *desperate* to get rid of the split ends that have travelled up my hair. I was assured that straightening would ensure the best results (it didn't - I still have split ends) and I used to straighten my hair all the time, and it never did any significant damage. I think the bleaching really has made it sensitive though, because just one session of straightening has completely thinned it out and changed the texture. The bicarbonate of soda solution that I used today hasn't made much difference, because my hair has come out just as silky and soft as it was before. I was going to complain, but there probably won't be much point. I'm just really upset that months of treating my hair well to get it back to some kind of healthy condition has been totally undone by one stupid salon. The straighteners must have been REALLY hot.

Hollyfire3
December 24th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Have you tried some sort of strengthening treatment? Maybe because your hair is fine and too soft, it needs protein. I would also look for shampoo and conditioner for sensitized hair. Do you have any waves in your hair? If so, you could try CO washing. You can try diluted shampoo, and wash every 3-4 days like you said you will. Maybe the washing again and again has made your hair shocked. Give it a few days before tryign anything else. In the mean time, wear it up, in a bun, braid or other updo, this will get it out of the way and out of your mind. I doubt ALL your hard work is undone, your hair just might be in shock.

princess-royal
December 25th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Okay, I've washed my hair again and am pretty much convinced that the straighteners have altered it. It's now much more frizzy/flyaway, which really sucks. It feels nowhere near as thick and voluminous :(

princess-royal
December 25th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Have you tried some sort of strengthening treatment? Maybe because your hair is fine and too soft, it needs protein. I would also look for shampoo and conditioner for sensitized hair. Do you have any waves in your hair? If so, you could try CO washing. You can try diluted shampoo, and wash every 3-4 days like you said you will. Maybe the washing again and again has made your hair shocked. Give it a few days before tryign anything else. In the mean time, wear it up, in a bun, braid or other updo, this will get it out of the way and out of your mind. I doubt ALL your hard work is undone, your hair just might be in shock.

I used to have waves (years ago) but now my hair is pretty much straight. Do you think that protein treatments would have significant long-term positive results?

cmg
December 25th, 2011, 01:22 PM
About a week ago I went to a hair salon to get my hair trimmed. My hair was already quite fine, straight and soft (mainly due to bleaching) so I wasn't too happy when the stylist asked if she could straighten my hair - I've stayed away from the hot irons for a year and a half. I reluctantly agreed when she reassured me that it wouldn't damage my hair because she'd use heat protection spray. She sprayed a little bit on every strand and then ran these super-hot professional straighteners slowly through each little bit of my hair TWICE. I came away with really soft, poker-straight hair that felt awful. I've washed it twice since and it feels like cotton candy - super fine, silky, no volume or hold, just horrible. It feels like the straighteners have permamently altered the texture. I'm really upset and would like to know if this is the case.
Yup. Been there, done that. It can take six months up to one year til the worst damage is gone. Bleaching before predestined the hair to getting more damage from that "one" straightening. Remember, the hair is the same on your head, it remembers. Spun sugar was the exact feeling (and look) I had for quite a while. Lots of SMTs and overnight coconut oil treatments helped a lot, as well as never never ever heatstyle, blowdry or dye/bleach the hair. The finer the hair, the greater the damage.

princess-royal
December 25th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Yup. Been there, done that. It can take six months up to one year til the worst damage is gone. Bleaching before predestined the hair to getting more damage from that "one" straightening. Remember, the hair is the same on your head, it remembers. Spun sugar was the exact feeling (and look) I had for quite a while. Lots of SMTs and overnight coconut oil treatments helped a lot, as well as never never ever heatstyle, blowdry or dye/bleach the hair. The finer the hair, the greater the damage.

Thanks, this is really helpful! Did you manage to repair the damaged hair or did you have to grow it out? Because I'm trying to grow my hair down to my waist and that's going to take ages. What's an SMT, by the way? Ughh I'm so annoyed that the stylist straightened my hair. There was no need to, and she practically convinced me that there would be no damage, because my hair apparently looked healthy...the worst thing is that the straighteners have given me really bad split ends, which is ironic because I went to the salon to get rid of my split ends! I might go back and complain.

RiotPrrl
December 26th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Thanks, this is really helpful! Did you manage to repair the damaged hair or did you have to grow it out? Because I'm trying to grow my hair down to my waist and that's going to take ages. What's an SMT, by the way? Ughh I'm so annoyed that the stylist straightened my hair. There was no need to, and she practically convinced me that there would be no damage, because my hair apparently looked healthy...the worst thing is that the straighteners have given me really bad split ends, which is ironic because I went to the salon to get rid of my split ends! I might go back and complain.

SMT refers to Snowymoon's Moisture Treatment (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128). Good luck with your hair! :)

princess-royal
December 27th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Well, I massaged some bicarbonate of soda mixed with water into my wet hair, and it completely dried out the hair! It was thicker, but a tangly mess. The next day I bought a massive tub of coconut oil, Organix keratin treatment shampoo & conditioner, and VO5 hot oils. I smeared the coconut oil over my dry hair last night, rinsed and shampooed today, and it was still unbearably oily and greasy. My hair just felt gross and I was really self-conscious. I've just washed my hair again and I'm letting it dry naturally, with a bit of Frizz-Ease to tame the flyaway tangles. My hair is split and cracked almost right up to the root and I'm really worried that it will damage my virgin hair.

I've also decided to buy real hair extensions (clip-ins - less damaging than weaves etc), so that during the day I can just slide them in and feel a bit better about myself, while treating my damaged hair by night. A question about coconut oil: how much do I need? I thought I'd put the right amount in, but my hair was so greasy today it looked wet. I'd applied the oil to dry hair, which was difficult - should I apply it to wet hair?

The SMT looks great - I think I'll try it!

princess-royal
December 27th, 2011, 12:22 PM
(Oh, another thing - my oily hair went horrendously dry and crispy in the cold winter air!)

Amber_Maiden
December 27th, 2011, 08:50 PM
i doubt it's ben destroyed by this one time deal.

Kaelee
December 27th, 2011, 10:02 PM
I'm confused...soft and silky is bad? (That's my usual hairtype! lol)

As for the coconut oil, on my almost-apl hair I take about a pea sized amount of coconut oil, warm it in my hands and rub it between my palms, work it into the ends than run my fingers through my hair (while my hair is WET! This is important, if I do this on DRY hair it gets greasy!) Then I leave it in. It looks great unless I overdo it by accident lol.

Amazinggrace
December 27th, 2011, 10:11 PM
I think you have tried everything at once, and your hair may need a few days, or a week to just rest. I would try to wear it up the rest of the week, clarify and deep condition over the weekend, then leave it alone a few more days.

One episode of heat styling won't ruin your hair, nor will multiple attempts to fix it. Try to just take a breath, and let it be for a little bit.

It will get better. (hug)

cmg
December 28th, 2011, 05:29 PM
I'm not particularly assertive and I was *desperate* to get rid of the split ends that have travelled up my hair. I was assured that straightening would ensure the best results...
One of the singularly most effective things I did on my way towards better hair - was not to rely on hairsalons any more.

I know there are hairdressers that have good theoretical knowledge about hair and haircare, but how do we benefit from this when people come out from the salons worse than they came in?

Information is a key, but as customers we are also obliged to take in what we learn. I think many times the hairdressers just give up warning people that dont listen. And for the first time in history we have other sources than hairdressers to gather information from, and we dont listen anyhow. At least we should choose not to listen to people who sell hairdos as well as heat protection sprays and products against breakage etc. Something is fishy there :eyebrows:

princess-royal
December 31st, 2011, 09:06 AM
I have my hair extensions! I absolutely love them as a quick fix. They make my hair appear so much thicker.

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/390785_10150495803231797_584476796_8437168_2084421 623_n.jpg