PDA

View Full Version : I miss brushing- almost bought one today!

shikara
December 23rd, 2011, 06:50 PM
Sadly one year ago I had to retire my beautiful brush because too many bristles had fallen under the cushion - I had it for many years:(. I couldnt find any like it - well, online perhaps - sp I switched to a wide tooth comb. Ugh I hate them for my fineish tanglyish hair! Hope I didnt damage my hair too much with it! For four weeks - with huge success, delight and pride - I've been fingercombing. I also reverted back to a shampoo/condish brand I used eons ago, and it gave my hair the volume and manageability I've been longing for. Its also reminded me how I used to like brushing my hair with my old paddle brush. Almost picked up an Isinis brush tonit for thirty bucks, but managed to walk away, thinking of how gentle fingercombing is! I'm sure the dilemma hasnt ended yet!

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/th_a5642814.jpg (http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/?action=view&current=a5642814.jpg)

Anywhere
December 23rd, 2011, 07:33 PM
I missed brushing too, until I got a denman brush.

I just feel like my hair needs to have the shed hairs brushed out of it, otherwise they all tangle at the end and it is a PITA to finger comb them out.

My hair is curlier than yours, so your hair shouldn't get quite as insane at the ends. :p

I don't see how brushing is bad. It's bad for curlies because of the tangles and frizz, but I don't see how a straighter haired person would be harmed by brushing. Just use one without the bulb things (for lack of a better word:o) at the end.

manderly
December 23rd, 2011, 07:59 PM
If you miss brushing - get a brush.

I always thought the purpose of having long hair was to enjoy it, so I wouldn't want to deprive myself of something because it *may* cause a little damage. Really, the damage comes from how the mainstream brushes - ripping it through hair and through tangles.

Gentle brushing is no more damaging than combing or fingercombing, IMHO.

Anywhere
December 23rd, 2011, 08:08 PM
If you miss brushing - get a brush.

I always thought the purpose of having long hair was to enjoy it, so I wouldn't want to deprive myself of something because it *may* cause a little damage. Really, the damage comes from how the mainstream brushes - ripping it through hair and through tangles.

Gentle brushing is no more damaging than combing or fingercombing, IMHO.

This this this yes. If you rip through your hair there will be damage. If you go gently it should be fine.

Unless your brush has plastic bulbs/tips and they're starting to break off where they connect to the bristle. This happened to my plastic tipped bobby pin, I didn't notice. Turned the darned thing into a hair harpoon. :rolleyes:

Took me ages to carefully get that out. I imagine it would ribbon hair if this happened to a brush, since the awkward bristle part would just pull down on the hair instead of trying to take it out like a bobby pin.

shikara
December 23rd, 2011, 10:29 PM
Oh I like these responses;)! and I have Denman envy...... sooooo, gonna go for it - get myself a Christmas present, and see how it goes. Not like I'm locking myself into a contract!! Thanks for input!

jacqueline101
December 24th, 2011, 03:57 PM
If you need a brush for proper maintenance buy one.

long&blonde
December 24th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Love my Denman Brush!

alyaziaaah
December 24th, 2011, 05:52 PM
What kind of Denman brush do you have? I bought a Kent Airhedz detangle brush, I find it good. I try to use my fingers only but as much as I try, I can't keep my hands off brushing! I feel fingercombing isn't enough for my hair, its very wavy and tangly these days( damaged and lots of baby hairs).
If you guys who are using Denman brushes please let me know which model then I might order one as well :-)

blondie9912
December 24th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Nothing wrong with brushing as long as you do it gently :) If you like how your hair looks after brushing, then go for it! No need to deprive yourself

anikadear
December 24th, 2011, 08:53 PM
No harm in brushing if you do it with care. I don't use brushes because it really pulls out a lot of my hair so I stay far away from them.

hototogisu
December 25th, 2011, 10:20 AM
TANGLE TEEZER!!! It's so gentle and wonderful and inexpensive compared to the really really good brushes. It's also so lovely to use. I also have fine tangly hair. I like to use a cheapo BBB after Tangle Teezing to 'polish' my hair. It's my nighttime ritual before braiding my hair for bed and I love it!