PDA

View Full Version : Work out and sweat - what to do if not wash the hair?

Renate
December 23rd, 2011, 04:45 PM
Hello everyone :)

I started working out almost everyday this year but I wash my hair every two-three days. I work out at home, with the air conditioner on, so i don't sweat much, but now that summer has started (I'm below Equator) it's impossible to prevent sweating.. Still, i'm not washing everyday, after working out I just let it down and loose, and after some time, the scalp dries. I've heard that not washing the hair after sweating can cause fungus or something like that.. So, what do I do?

countryhopper
December 23rd, 2011, 05:12 PM
Hi, and welcome!!

You can always rinse your hair with plain water and massage your scalp. Hope that helps!

spike316
December 23rd, 2011, 05:17 PM
Agree with the water wash, but there's also vinegar rinses which are actually supposed to help prevent fungus. ^_^

spidermom
December 23rd, 2011, 05:20 PM
The day after washing, I can let the sweat dry in my hair. Then I'll try rinsing scalp only. But I do end up washing more often when I stick to my workout schedule.

luthein
December 23rd, 2011, 06:20 PM
I don't wash my hair after every workout. I follow my washing schedule unless my scalp feels super-itchy a few hours after.

NymphSpirit
December 23rd, 2011, 06:35 PM
I've never really washed my hair more often when I work out, and my hair doesn't seem to be affected by the sweat at all, I mean, I have been following a workout routine for a year now and my scalp doesn't feel any different from what it feels when I decide to take a break from the routine. I guess the whole fungus thing happens in exceptional cases...

In any case, the water idea seems good to wash out the sweat.

Chromis
December 23rd, 2011, 06:45 PM
I don't wash any more working out versus not working out. Never noticed any difference. I wear a shower cap when I am not washing my hair specifically.

Renate
December 24th, 2011, 08:56 AM
Thanks everyone for replying! :)

I've never had any problems either, so i guess i'll just keep not washing everyday.. I'll start doing the ACV rinses.

jacqueline101
December 24th, 2011, 09:01 AM
I'd do the water only rinse and vinegar .

Anlbe
December 24th, 2011, 09:04 AM
I let it dry then brush is out, never had any problems. Don't really see how sweat could cause fungus it's sterile and salty....

trolleypup
December 24th, 2011, 10:37 AM
As long as it dries out after exercising and sweating it should be OK for a day or few. If it stays constantly damp and especially if it is constrained without air circulation then you might eventually have a fungus problem.