PDA

View Full Version : A Word A Day: Lissotrichous

MsBubbles
December 23rd, 2011, 10:20 AM
I get the 'Word A Day' emails. Today's relates to hair. Lissotrichous: having straight or smooth hair.

I googled a bit to see if anybody else here already posted this, but found another fun thread from earlier in 2011 about a spelling bee and curly hair (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-72156.html).

"...from Greek lissos (smooth) and thrix (hair). Some cousins of this word are cymotrichous (having wavy hair)...".

The context given in the email for lissotrichous included a sentence with which I disagree, for it's sweeping generalization:

"Madonna's Blonde Ambition tour notwithstanding, women really aspire to be lissotrichous brunettes, since sleekness and shine - the season's chief criteria - show much better on dark hair."
Pamela Swanigan; Blondness: It's Probably Not the Real Thing; Vancouver Sun (Canada); Jun 16, 2001

Um, no. You're thinking of natural/virgin hair color as opposed to chemically-altered or stripped, probably. And even then, I have seen plenty of bleached and highlighted longhairs here and in real life with brilliant shine.

But now I have a fancy word for one of my hair goals!

vanity_acefake
December 23rd, 2011, 10:22 AM
What a cool word.
Where can I get the word a day email?
I'd love to get them and then try to use the days word as often as I can in random sentences.
:)

jacqueline101
December 23rd, 2011, 10:26 AM
I like that I'd hate to see what one word describes my hair disaster. Followed by the words see picture.

Amazinggrace
December 23rd, 2011, 10:32 AM
My hair is not Lissotrichous today.

Thank you for the new word. :)

MsBubbles
December 23rd, 2011, 10:33 AM
Vanity: you can sign up here (http://wordsmith.org/awad/subscribe.html). I get the free one :). There's usually a theme for the week.

Aww, Jacqueline! You look like a wavy to me, cymotrichous.

LOL, Amazinggrace! Neither's mine, actually :-D

RapunzelKat
December 23rd, 2011, 11:13 AM
Wow, great word, it totally describes my hair!! I'm gonna start trying to work this one into conversation when people ask about my hair. :D :D